Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Clubbing

This week's bleeping was kind of ridiculous.

Yes. It's bad enough when you can "fill in the blank" yourself as to what the bleeped word was. (It destroys the moment, but at least you can glean the meaning.) It's a whole 'nother level of badness when you have no idea what the missing word is! And that happened.

But think of the children!  Watching PBS at 10:30 at night on a Sunday. Sigh. They should have done what Ab Fab did.  Swear in British slang - I don't think Comedy Central ever figured out most of the swear words.   

Freddie was adorable hanging out the fliers. 

(edited)

This week I thought I understood what was being bleeped, as opposed to last week. Here's what I recall: Ash said "they'll pay me by the head" and Freddie said "they'll pay you to give (head)?!" And then Penelope told the girl at the club "he only likes (dick)" about Stuart. If I'm right, those words can be said on TV when they mean other things, so it was extra annoying to bleep them.

ETA: I just did a quick check of the closed captioning online and found a homophone I didn't catch last night. When Violet tells Ash she has a lover, Freddie says "you have an email!" The captioning had "e-male."

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

Freddie: There's someone older than us

Stuart: That's a mirror.

No where near as old as Freddie, but old enough to be dismayed if someone suggests we have the energy to go on to another place later.  ;-)

• Love 3

So Ash is the type of guy who'll just start macking on a girl he just met? That's sort of contradictory to his behavior in Episode 2 where he broke up with his girl because he decided he wanted something that was real. Or maybe not, maybe those are two different things to him. Who knows.

I do wonder what's going on with Violet, and I thought her 16-character long distance number was hysterical.

(edited)

Re the bleepin' bleeping: I notice that the episodes are available on iTunes. (In fact, the whole season is, but I'm deliberately not watching any episodes before their air dates and I hope no one here will spoil any of them.) At some point when I have time, I may pop for one of these episodes just to see if they are censored when provided by a medium other than PBS. (If anyone has already bought an episode on iTunes and can answer the question, please do.)

Edited by Milburn Stone

I know it's a bit silly, but I'm worried for their dog! Do they ever feed or walk the poor thing? I can't help but chuckle when they poke it to see if it's still alive, but I still feel bad for it!

And yes, agreed that it's a good thing that there are bleeps so as not to offend the legions of impressionable tiny tots watching PBS at 10:30 on Sunday nights.  

• Love 1

And yes, agreed that it's a good thing that there are bleeps so as not to offend the legions of impressionable tiny tots watching PBS at 10:30 on Sunday nights.

Well it's 9:30 central time, but still. Know what your kid's watching if you're that worried about them hearing naughty words.

I know it's a bit silly, but I'm worried for their dog!

I do too. I lost my 18 year old last summer so there's nothing particularly funny to me about the poor dog who is so obviously on its last legs.

This "we must protect the children's delicate sensibilities at all times!" crap is just ridiculous. If I were still a child/pre-teen, I seriously doubt I'd be eager to stay up late on a Sunday night to turn on PBS and watch a group of sixty/seventy-somethings sitting around talking to each other. I suppose PBS is still nervous that the conservatives will seize any lapse in self-censorship to finally push through their ongoing attempts to completely de-fund them.

• Love 1

Loved Freddie's opening lines about always waking up to a new abomination with his body, that all his toes were pointing in different directions as if they were in a crowded theatre when somebody yelled "Fire."

• Love 1

So they bleep a few swear words. Can we get over it and move on instead of rehasing it again and again and again?

I was a little worried that Freddie and Stuart would be ridiculed at the night club for being "wrinklies," or that later when Ash's friends were hanging out with Freddie, it was to make fun of him, but that wasn't the case. No one seemed to have an issue with the old folks.

Freddie seemed to totter a little toward uncomfortable vanity (thinking he was 50 years younger than he was), but that got reeled in, and the two of them dancing at the club at the end was nice, before deciding to call it an evening because they were exhausted.

Sorry, Freddie, but Stuart is the more attractive one. 

Well, it doesn't really bother me if they have to bleep the odd "shit" but the really ridiculous part is bleeping a word that's just been uttered unbleeped. Ash says "I get paid by the head" (no bleep), Freddie turns to Stuart and asks "He gets paid to give (bleep?)" I mean, we KNOW what he said, and Ash just said it. That's just dumb. If they think "give head" is too dirty maybe they should just cut the whole line. On the other hand, I guess I'd prefer they not cut anything since they know we know what's being said. It does make them look silly though. (I did love after Stuart explained what "by the head" meant, Freddie said "Not as interesting.")

• Love 1