Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E23: Everything Changes

• Start Topic

The Cornelia crew fights to save its gear from sea ice; Jake risks the far north to fill his tanks before his son's birth; amid news of a looming pandemic, Russian boats mysteriously disappear and captains race to dock before crab prices crash.

The ending.   the tacked on video of the captains, not the "reunion" of Jake and Josh Harris.   That reunion was filmed solely so Josh could get more screen time.   We did not need to see Jake again.    Seriously.   I'm with Casey (sorta), he has to prove himself before you can trust him.   The last time we saw Jake, he brought drugs on the boat.    I know addict, he has a disease.   Doesn't mean I want to see him being rewarded with tv time until it is proven he is clean.

The real ending though.   With all the captains telling us to stay safe and better times will come.   Except for the Josh part where it looked like he forgot his lines  and was winging it but was too stupid to be coherent.    Wild Bill too close to the camera.   Sig with  his HEALTH granddaughter, thank goodness.   Jake with his kids, the oldest trying to stick the bottle in the newborn's mouth.    All of them.   Stay safe yourself guys.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The real ending though.   With all the captains telling us to stay safe and better times will come.   Except for the Josh part where it looked like he forgot his lines  and was winging it but was too stupid to be coherent.    Wild Bill too close to the camera.   Sig with  his HEALTH granddaughter, thank goodness.   Jake with his kids, the oldest trying to stick the bottle in the newborn's mouth.    All of them.   Stay safe yourself guys.

His advice . . . "Get a hobby."  And I think Jake Harris should have to work on another boat to prove himself before going on the CM.  But after Phil died and the boys tried to go to work on other boats (IIRC, the Time Bandit and Northwestern), they were both declared to be lazy and the captains said, "We've done our part to honor Phil's memory by helping his kids.  They're on their own now." 

Josh still appears to be lazy, but more evidently entitled as "majority owner" of the CM.  Unless Jake stays clean and sober for at least a year, he should not be eligible to be hired for the CM, but Josh will override any restriction like that if Casey suggests them.

Loved seeing Saga Jake go out on deck and show that he's still "got it" . . . you could hear the admiration in his crew as he threw the hook, counted crabs on the table, etc.  One of them even said, "He's like having three guys out here."  

Pleasantly surprised to see Harley's turnaround in his behavior towards the Wizard - not just sending over a keyboard, but leaving 28 pots of crab for them to pick up.  Could be that he felt just a little bit guilty about his behavior?  Or was it just part of the script?

• Love 2

I wouldn't mind the CM if it was only Casey.  So sick of Josh and his crap.  Still trying to figure out how he got enough money to buy majority.  It was Casey that brought the quota with him.  Maybe DC is the true majority holder of the CM.  Wouldn't be the first time DC bought a boat for one of their "reality" shows.

Really felt bad for Jake not making it home in time for the birth but that is the reality of the job he has chosen to do. 

I love Wild Bill.  It has been something to watch how he has "mellowed" throughout the years.  Not sure what to make of Harley-last night he was a true SOB about potting down the Wizard but then he sent the keyboard to Monte and 28 pots.  Which is his true side.

Glad to see Sig looking healthy and with the granddaughter.

As for Jake H, I wish him the best and hope he can finally stay clean.  Casey is right, Jake should prove himself somewhere else and not on the CM.  Hope that Casey can stick to his guns on that.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, dsteele said:

So the Cornelia Marie is going to be getting a drug-abusing, minimally talented Harris kid who is only there for a paycheck.

Also, Jake Harris is coming back.

You need to grab that glass of wine in your avatar and come over to watch the next season at my house.  We would have a ball!!!!  I'm thinking about making a scoresheet for the differences of length of Josh's whiskers in what is supposed to be one scene.

• Love 3

Sounds good! But I'll need so much more than a single glass of wine. 🍷

See, I have this drinking game. Every time Josh appears on screen... chug. And now if there are two of the Harris family? (Plus the obligatory shots of Saint Phil). I think my liver may be in trouble.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, dsteele said:

Sounds good! But I'll need so much more than a single glass of wine. 🍷

See, I have this drinking game. Every time Josh appears on screen... chug. And now if there are two of the Harris family? (Plus the obligatory shots of Saint Phil). I think my liver may be in trouble.

No worries.  We found out during the pandemic that Total Wine and More has curbside pick-up.  We'll just add some to our order for you.

• Love 1
On 9/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, AZChristian said:

Pleasantly surprised to see Harley's turnaround in his behavior towards the Wizard - not just sending over a keyboard, but leaving 28 pots of crab for them to pick up.  Could be that he felt just a little bit guilty about his behavior?  Or was it just part of the script?

Harley's as sleazy as they come. These guys aren't that good of actors to have every single captain he interacts with to have issues with him and his ways. I could be wrong, but I don't think Harley could have hauled in an extra 28 pots worth of crab. That would have put him well over quota and I believe he would have literally had to just dump the crab back in..... and risk the prices going down or the doors slamming shut all together. So yeah, Harley was just looking out for Harley, not trying to help Mouse. A $25 keyboard was the very least he could do. His crap about helping was just that, crap. Oh, and Haley has little place to comment on Mouse's nick name. Anyone else think Harley gave his nickname to himself? 

Sooooo much talk about prices dropping.  Junior offloads.  Not.  One.  Word. as to the price he got.  

I did not at all understand why Saga had to re-set over the biomass since they needed only one tank's worth of crab and they were getting massive numbers at the end.  If he did, he would have been delayed even more.  All the talk about having to get home to mama would have been entirely empty since he knew he was still days away from making for the cannery for offload.   

What the hull?  The hole in the Summer Bay amounted to nothing.  It's another big expense for Bill, though.  

Harley's magnanimity came after his season was assured.  He had nothing to lose.  Big whoop.

Well, the Russkies won.  Will Mike be presenting them with the Disco Cup?  

The helo rescue was quite something.  THAT'S what hooked me and so many others on this show years ago.  The dangers are severe enough that we do not need all these trumped up and phony backstories!  

This was the worst year for sloppy/indifferent editing.  Disco struggled to create draaaaama, and then when they actually had some at the end, they never paid it off.  Their introduction of the Covid impact was appropriate, but far too much has happened in the intervening months for them to not have tacked on an update.  The Red season is fast upon us.  What are the restrictions?  Will there even be a Red season?  It's a dereliction by Disco to not have outlined the new reality.  It's also right on par with their pathetic way of operating.

Peace to all.

• Love 2

Jake is a shit leader. “Hurry up and go fast so I can get home and get rid of you all.”

Given the worry about pricing, shouldn’t they get into port and unload ASAP? They can always go back out. 

I haven’t watched this in a few years. Jake has really aged. 

16 hours ago, Ottis said:

Given the worry about pricing, shouldn’t they get into port and unload ASAP? They can always go back out. 

Fuel is expensive, too - might have been a tradeoff between spending thousands on fuel and losing thousands on price. No win.

Also - because of Covid - there might have been a lot of restrictions on scheduling of unloading.  It's not like they could just pop into port whenever they wanted and the same number of employees would be there to unload and process the crab.  They may have been told, "THIS is when you can come back into port, barring a life-threatening emergency."

• Love 1
8 hours ago, kassa said:

Fuel is expensive, too - might have been a tradeoff between spending thousands on fuel and losing thousands on price. No win.

Clearly. But if their worry was that crab pricing might collapse at any time, and they were already 70-80 percent full, wouldn’t it make sense to go in ASAP? Then they can do the math on going out again. All the worry about price, and yet no action around it, was annoying drama.

As for COVID setting unloading rules, if that were true, why not say so? That would both better explain the situation and add to the realistic drama.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1