Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Remembered to DVR this at the last minute, and I'm glad I did.

My typical TV viewing is usually more on the Adventure Time end of the wholesome scale (the other extreme being...?), but I was not bothered at all by the graphic stuff. It felt true to the situation and people, plus gave us a more realistic setting for those great in-between-coitus scenes.

Bravo to the entire cast and crew.

I watched Welcome to Sweden and Working the Engles pilots on demand before watching Married and You're the Worst.

YTW took advantage of basic cable's freedom with the sex scenes but the dialog was so much better than the broadcast sitcoms.

(edited)

This was better than I thought it would be. I was pleasantly surprised by all the simulated sex including cunnilingus. I also liked the dialogue which felt very real life, only her speech before storming out struck an off note. 

I did not like the only black people were the spoilt musical act. The show could use more diversity. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I thought it was better than expected. Much less laugh-out-loud than the other FX sitcoms, but a better overall show. Nice chemistry with the leads and the secondary characters were interesting, too. 

• Love 1

Was this supposed to be a comedy? I guess I was thinking it'd be funny but then it wasn't really. It wasn't a terrible show, but I kept waiting for something really funny to happen that never did. Only thing I found pretty funny was when she spit on the other guy.

A couple of things they could fix and I'd like it more: 1) Get rid of the kid, if I wanted to watch About A Boy I would, and 2) if Gretchen is supposed to be some badass that can make upset clients do what she wants, show it, don't skip over it and make the viewer try to guess how she did it.

I much prefer shows on cable and premiums channels, simply because they can show "real" life a lot better. Also, shows on these channels seem to get more time to develop. It wasn't as funny as I expected based on the previews, but I'm considering that it's the pilot and will hopefully get funnier as it grows and the cast develops more chemistry.

2) if Gretchen is supposed to be some badass that can make upset clients do what she wants, show it, don't skip over it and make the viewer try to guess how she did it.

Yeah, this. But they'd already established a pattern of cutting away from the big stuff when they skipped over Jimmy's big blowout rant at the wedding.

I'm kind of a sap and I mostly liked the emotional connection the leads had. A lesser show might have just made the two sociopaths and run with it.

• Love 3
(edited)

I swear, I need to just watch FX, AMC, and HBO and chuck the rest of the TV channels forever.

I thought it was great, I love the two leads and their messed up emotional issues.  I love his roommate, and I love her friend.  Solid pilot.

I think this exchange hooked me for the season:

"I was defending our country.”

“Oh, please. You weren’t defending anything except for the business interests of evil men.”

“Jimmy, our country is the business interests of evil men!”

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 1

Stephen Falk was talking about Chris Geere sort of changing his idea of who Jimmy was, specifically that Jimmy had originally been not English and also kind of shorter and schlubbier. Which finally made me understand Gretchen's line in the pilot: "someone like you does not just get someone like {gestures at self} this!"  Cause as cast, Geere and Cash don't have a pronounced attractiveness disparity, I don't think.

• Love 3

I finally got to see this!  I've heard great buzz about it forever, but I'm a non-pirating cordcutter and FX only sends some of their content to Amazon or Netflix (the streaming services I normally pay for).  So I finally just sprang for a month of Hulu, and even with the big expectations I was not disappointed.  Great, great show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, alikerofthings said:

I started this last night and have only seen episode 1 and 2 so far, I already hate myself for loving them both. They are the WORST! Haha

I'm jealous of you getting to go into it fresh. :) I only started watching last year, but I've binged the whole show several times now. 

• Love 1