Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Dodger

• Start Topic

Felicity tells Oliver he’s all work and no play, so he asks Detective McKenna on a date. A jewel thief named Dodger hits Starling City and targets someone very close to Oliver. Meanwhile, while working with Laurel, Thea gets her purse stolen by a very fast pickpocket named Roy Harper. Moira makes a move against Malcolm.

I liked that even though this was the first time we saw Felicity dressed up and it was the full on cliche of 'oh look, the nerdy girl looks hot in a dress,' it didn't go overboard, and she was still usual, awesome Felicity. And again, we got to see the beginnings of Team Arrow working so well together, with Digg immediately trying to defuse the neck bomb, and Oliver getting Felicity to focus on helping him find the Dodger.

I also enjoyed that Felicity didn't hesitate to confront the Dodger when she saw him taking the jewelry. A bit of a misstep, but the girl is nothing if not brave. 

• Love 4

I liked that even though this was the first time we saw Felicity dressed up and it was the full on cliche of 'oh look, the nerdy girl looks hot in a dress,' it didn't go overboard, and she was still usual, awesome Felicity.

Yes, I love this. Both Oliver and Dig stop and blatantly stare at her for a couple of seconds, and the camera does the from legs all the way up thing, but the guys don't make any comment, and then it's business as usual. And Felicity is still babbling even when she doesn't have the glasses or the ponytail. I like that she's not pretending to be anything she's not, she just dressed accordingly to a party.

• Love 5
(edited)

"To bad his name is not in your notebook."I love her!

This one of those perfect Arrow episodes. Great villain, team arrow,Moira awesomeness.

I desperately need a scene this season with the same team arrow in big belly burger vibe.

Oliver asking out Mckenna cutest thing to ever happen on this show. I loved them. My poor little ship of lies.

Every time I watched the flashbacks, I feel bad that Slade is stranded with Oliver.

Mckenna was so wrong but loved watching Oliver's reaction.He was really upset.

"Don't change the subject","And she says we have no lives",Are there any places that sell  or display items from the ominous thing" Team Arrow my happy place.

Knew something was missing.Hi Det. Lance.

Felicity confronting the thief.badass

One of my fav Oliver things "Talk to me Felicity."

I really love the motorcycle scenes on this show.Love the visual of the suit with the motorcycle helmet.

"Because I don't know you"Chills

Mock my Olicity shipping all day, don't care, their partnership is epic.

Edited by icandigit
  • Love 4
(edited)

Team Arrow bonds; Roy Harper shows up; and Magical Island Herbs return.

1. Sherwood jewel.  On a show about an archer in green wearing a Hood. Never accuse this show of subtlety.

2. This first Oliver/Felicity scene is one of my all time favorites, and not just because of the "You're not the only one who knows how to reboot my system."  But because she sticks to her moral ground, even after he tries to intimidate her.

(Also, sidenote: this works a lot better than most of the other lectures Oliver's been getting – granted it's effective in part because Felicity does know Oliver's secret identity.)

3. You can tell this Bad Guy is a Proper Bad Guy 'cause he has a British accent AND a Swiss bank account, which is good, because that plastic ruby would otherwise not make me think highly of his skills.  Also, Oliver, THIS Bad guy just incapacitates the Goons instead of killing them, and only kills the Bad Guy. Very efficient!

4. Sigh. Hi Roy. 

I promise I'll like you eventually.

5. Oliver and McKenna are really cute together, I must say.

6. Felicity may be hurt by poorly put together computer systems, but it physically hurts me to see the Starling City cops be so careless with fine art.  Go, Malcolm Merlyn! Go!

7.   I like that Felicity is a) continues to be useful during her almost-damseling moment and b) manages to sneak in a commercial for Windows 8 while having a bomb around her neck. That's called multi-tasking, everyone.

8.  I totally forgot the combined stunt of motorcycle chase/taking the car out with an arrow/more motorcycle.  Really nicely put together.

9. "I'm not Robin Hood." Did I mention, this show, not all that subtle!

10. Island Oliver Goes To Another Dark Place. With Ominous Music.

11. I'm just going to note that it's Roy, not Laurel the supposed mentor, who gets through to Thea.

12. Oliver finally asks out a normal, likeable woman on a date – and of course she's hunting his alter ego. Of course.  Hee. 

13. Island Oliver's first lie to Slade. Ominous!

14. And we definitely don't say this enough. Moira Queen = Made of Awesome.  Also, Practical, Lethal Solutions. 

Wow, the more I watch this season the more I regret losing her.

Laurel's barely in this episode – under two minutes of screentime, with no lines in her second scene, but, regardless:

Laurel!

It takes her 12 minutes to appear in this episode and ONE MINUTE to screw up legally. Sigh. She also, once again, has absolutely nothing to do with the main plot, or Moira's B plot, and she's a sidenote to the Roy/Thea C plot.  For once, she does show signs of being an action hero, since her first response to the purse snatching is to chase after Roy. She also shows signs of being an ineffective action hero, since Roy gets away and Thea and the Starling City police, not Laurel, are the ones to track him down and bring him in.

Also:

Number of times Laurel fails as an attorney, this episode:  1, Handing over the evidence about Roy to THEA, who, last we all checked, is not a cop or any type of investigator.  (It only ends up working because Roy just happens to shop in places with unethical employees willing to give out customer's personal info to strangers. Wow, this whole city really is corrupt, isn't it?) 2, Failing to point out to Thea that YES, criminals give sad sob stories all the time. I know Laurel is supposed to be fighting on the side of the unfortunate but, uh, Laurel, Roy's rap sheet? Not exactly an indication of his probity.  Also, ROY really shouldn't be the one teaching Thea Truths About Life, though to give Roy credit, he's less judgemental here than Laurel is. Which would be another problem. 

But the biggest problem here is that Laurel could easily be removed from this entire episode without changing a thing. Anastasia could have taken Thea out for a hot dog and done that whole "this is what CRNI" does speech; even better, since CRNI is not even in this episode, and Roy will later remind us just how privileged Thea is, that entire scene is completely unnecessary. It would work just as well with Thea buying a hot dog, getting her purse snatched, and running after Roy and finding the wallet.  Removing Laurel from her second scene is even even easier since she doesn't speak, and that's a Roy/Quentin/Thea moment, not a Laurel moment.

Yet another example of the continuing marginalization of the character. 

Edited by quarks
  • Love 9

This episode was actually a little clunkier than I remembered it being. There are some great moments--Oliver asking McKenna out is possibly the cutest he has ever been (I think we see more SA than OQ there, but I don't care because it's so adorable), and Felicity locking Oliver into the lair is excellent. But some of the dialogue is pretty bad and there are some weird editing choices. Still a fun episode to watch, but not as skillfully done as I came to expect by end of S2.

Following up on my post in the Felicity thread...

This was a great episode for showcasing a lot of what I love about Felicity - her willingness to stand up to Oliver (who she knows is a deadly killer), her ability to influence Oliver even this early on in their relationship, her principles, how necessary she was to the fledgling Team Arrow, her courage and her selflessness - not to mention her dynamic with Oliver.

Oliver (when punching in computer code doesn’t unlock door): “Felicity! Did you just –“

Felicity: “- Computer override your lock. Maybe a little.”
Oliver: “What are you doing?”
Felicity: “I pulled up some information on Mr. Williams. Did you know he's a widowed father of a 10-year-old boy? I told you. I'm only in this to help Walter. Not to be an accessory to orphaning little kids.”
Oliver: “I'm just giving him a warning.”
Felicity: “Has it ever occurred to you, you could do some real good in the city? Beyond just recovering people's stock portfolios and their saving accounts.”
Oliver (leaning over her and punching button on computer): “You're not the only one who knows how to reboot my system.”
Felicity: “I made a mistake.”
Oliver: “Getting in my way? I don't disagree.”
Felicity: “No. Signing on with you. Even provisionally.”

Oliver: “Actually, Felicity, I was hoping that I could get you to change your mind. I was worked up on adrenaline last night, and I didn't exactly put my best foot forward. I was hoping you'd give me the opportunity to do that now.”
Felicity: “How about you start with Ken Williams? Did he also get to enjoy your adrenaline last night?”
Oliver: “No, he returned the money that he stole just in time to put his son to bed. Like I said, Felicity, just a warning.”

Felicity: “And now the psycho's in Starling City? It's too bad his name's not in your notebook.”
Oliver: “You know, not all the people that I target are on the list. Every once in a while, I make an exception. A hostage-taking jewel thief, for example. So why don’t you help us take him down?”

Felicity: “Why don't I work up a little tech, you distract her with a little flirty-flirt, slip said tech on her phone. It'll turn into a micro transmitter, and boom, we'll learn everything she knows.”
Oliver: “Hmm. It's not how I typically get my information.”
Felicity: “How do you typically do it?”
Oliver: “I find the person. And then I put the fear of God into them until they talk. But we can try your way.”

Felicity: “Hey! That brooch was donated by the Queen family. If you want it, you're going to have to bid.”

The Dodger: “Actually, love, I thought I'd just take it.”

Felicity: “I think I have a problem. Get away from me! If this thing blows –“
Oliver: “It's not going to happen.”

Felicity: “The Dodger said if I called the police, he'd -  I'm going to get decapitated, aren't I?”
Oliver: “The tracker's on the move. If I find him, I can get him to disarm it. Talk me in. Stay calm.”
Felicity: “Too late.”
Diggle: “Go. Just go. Go, go, go!”
Oliver (on phone): Talk to me, Felicity! Talk to me!”
Felicity (on phone): Ahem. Heading towards Adams and O'Neil. At the clip he's going, he's got to be in a vehicle.”
Oliver (to man on motorcycle): “Hey. I need your bike.”
Man: “Are you kidding me?”
Oliver: “No.” (Punches guy out.) I'm mobile. Where is he? Talk to me, Felicity.”
Felicity: “First time anyone's ever been grateful for traffic cameras. He's one block from your position. If you cut through Harris Plaza, you'll end up right behind him.”
Oliver: “Where is he now?”
Felicity: “I got him, got him, got him. Gray sedan driving north. At the light ahead of you. Dead ahead. Ok, hard right.”
Oliver: “Got him.”
The Dodger: "Hey! Don't do anything stupid. I had the foresight to collar up a particularly inquisitive blonde. I assume she's a friend of yours. Touch one hair on my head and she loses hers. You've got quite the choice to make, don't you?”
Oliver: "Not this time. (Throws small arrow into his arm) Your median nerve's been severed. You couldn't push that button if you tried."
(Beeping sound)
Felicity (gasping): "Oh, thank God.”
The Dodger: "Why are you doing this? I'm exactly like you. I only steal from the rich.”
Oliver (zapping him): "I'm not Robin Hood."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

You know, four seasons in and Dodger is still one of my favorite episodes. It literally had everything working for it. Every thing was on point, acting, story and characterization. It's pure gold and I loved Felicity's dress.

• Love 5

Felicity: “Why don't I work up a little tech, you distract her with a little flirty-flirt, slip said tech on her phone. It'll turn into a micro transmitter, and boom, we'll learn everything she knows.”

Oliver: “I find the person. And then I put the fear of God into them until they talk. But we can try your way."

This will never not be funny. It makes me chortle every time I see it.

• Love 5

One of the funniest things about the scene where Felicity locks Oliver in the lair and then walks out on him is Diggle's reaction.  No wonder DR enjoyed it when Felicity was added to the show.

The Dodger: "Hey! Don't do anything stupid. I had the foresight to collar up a particularly inquisitive blonde. I assume she's a friend of yours. Touch one hair on my head and she loses hers. You've got quite the choice to make, don't you?”
Oliver: "Not this time. (Throws small arrow into his arm) Your median nerve's been severed. You couldn't push that button if you tried."

So much fun.   Although Oliver's extensive knowledge of human anatomy, much less his ability to hit exactly the right spot at the right depth underneath the skin, still makes me roll my eyes.

• Love 1

I actually thought OQ's extensive knowledge of anatomy made sense. If someone is going to use archery as their weapon of choice, they have to know ways to properly incapacitate their victims. It would make sense that he would educate himself on anatomy. Plus it wasn't that obscure of a body part to know about. I learned about that nerve first in my high school anatomy class. As for his ability to hit just the right spot, well that took a little more "it's a TV show" reasoning.

• Love 2
So much fun.   Although Oliver's extensive knowledge of human anatomy, much less his ability to hit exactly the right spot at the right depth underneath the skin, still makes me roll my eyes.

I don't know why, but I still have a harder time buying that Thea managed to track down Roy. I mean, honestly. The salesperson not only remembered selling that chain to a kid in a red hoodie but had his name as well? I just don't believe Roy used a credit card to pay for it. At least not one in his name.

One of my favorite episodes...

115 (Dodger) – Oliver Queen’s voiceover intro:
Oliver (voiceover): "My name is Oliver Queen. For five years I was stranded on an island with only one goal... survive. Now I will fulfill my father's dying wish... to use a list of names he left me, to bring down those who are poisoning my city. To do this, I must become someone else. I must become something else."

115 (Dodger) – Felicity tells Oliver that he could do some real good in the city, and Oliver tells Felicity that she’s not the only one who knows how to reboot his system:
Oliver (when punching in computer code doesn’t unlock door): “Felicity! Did you just –“
Felicity: “I pulled up some information on Mr. Williams. Did you know he's a widowed father of a 10-year-old boy? I told you. I'm only in this to help Walter. Not to be an accessory to orphaning little kids.”
Felicity: “Has it ever occurred to you, you could do some real good in the city? Beyond just recovering people's stock portfolios and their saving accounts.”
Oliver (leaning over her and punching button on computer): “You're not the only one who knows how to reboot my system.”

115 (Dodger) – Oliver and Diggle visit Felicity at her workplace:
Oliver: “Maybe we should come back later.”
Diggle: ”No, maybe we should wait, Oliver. This is really serious. What if her next attack of conscience leads her right to the police?”
Oliver: "No, she won't say anything. I know I had to make the same calculation when you found out about me.”
Diggle: “Mm-hmm. And what would you have done if you were wrong, and I decided to make a call to Detective Lance?”
Oliver: “I would have put an arrow in you.” 
Diggle: “Ha! Really – really? You really would have done that, really?” 
Felicity (entering): “Hmm. I had a bet going with myself on how quickly you two would visit. Tell me not to reveal your secret. Looks like I won.” 
Oliver: “Actually, Felicity, I was hoping that I could get you to change your mind. I was worked up on adrenaline last night, and I didn't exactly put my best foot forward. I was hoping you'd give me the opportunity to do that now.”
Felicity: “How about you start with Ken Williams? Did he also get to enjoy your adrenaline last night?”
Oliver: “No, he returned the money that he stole just in time to put his son to bed. Like I said, Felicity, just a warning.” 
News Announcer (on TV): “At this time, we'd like to remind the public that we are coordinating our efforts with Interpol as the Dodger operates primarily in Europe, and they have advised us to warn the public that he is to be considered armed and extremely dangerous.” 
Diggle: “You know, I heard about this guy. They call him the Dodger because he avoids getting his hands dirty. He uses hostages to do his stealing for him.”
Oliver: “How?”
Diggle: “Puts a bomb collar around their necks. Last year, a guy in Madrid didn't steal what the Dodger told him to, and it took his head off. Literally.” 
Felicity: “And now the psycho's in Starling City? It's too bad his name's not in your notebook.”
Oliver: “You know, not all the people that I target are on the list. Every once in a while, I make an exception. A hostage-taking jewel thief, for example. So why don’t you help us take him down?”

115 (Dodger) – Oliver and Felicity have a conversation about how to catch the bad guy:
Oliver: “So to catch this guy, we need to either figure out where he is, or where he's going to be.”
Felicity: “Is this really how you guys figure out how to get your target? Over burgers and shakes?” 
Oliver: “Felicity, this guy, he's targeting a very specific type of jewel. We figure out why, and that'll give us the 'how' to catch him.”
Felicity: “I have an idea.”
Oliver: “Mm-hmm?”
Felicity: “Your crush object with a badge said they were working with Interpol.”
Oliver: “Yeah.” 
Oliver: “I find the person. And then I put the fear of God into them until they talk. But we can try your way.”

115 (Dodger) – Laurel and Thea take a hot dog lunch break (per script):
EGi7yYKU8AAZfK6.jpg

EGi7yYMUcAAF7lL.jpg

115 (Dodger) – Felicity is oblivious to Oliver’s wealth:
Felicity: “Where are we going to get our hands on a rare Spanish antiquity?”
Diggle: “You really have no idea how rich his family is, do you?”

115 (Dodger) – At the Starling City Cancer Society’s fundraising auction, Oliver sees Felicity for the first time all dressed up in a gold mini dress, with her hair down and no glasses;  then Felicity is imperiled by the Dodger and must be saved by Oliver:
Oliver: “The police are here, too. Your bait's attracted them, at least.” 
Diggle: “That's not exactly who I'm looking to catch.”
(They see Felicity and walk over to her.)
Felicity: “So, I'm getting a good signal from the GPS I put in your family's brooch. I can track it on my phone. Speaking of, have you given any thought to what might happen if this doesn't work, and the Dodger absconds with your family jewels? Sorry, that came out very wrong.”
Oliver: “Let's just keep our eyes open, Felicity.”
Felicity: “Hey! That brooch was donated by the Queen family. If you want it, you're going to have to bid.”
The Dodger: “Actually, love, I thought I'd just take it.”
Felicity: “I think I have a problem. Get away from me! If this thing blows –“
Oliver: “It's not going to happen.”
Felicity: “The Dodger said if I called the police, he'd - I’m going to get decapitated, aren't I?” 
Oliver: “The tracker's on the move. If I find him, I can get him to disarm it. Talk me in. Stay calm.”
Felicity: “Too late.” 
Diggle: “Go. Just go. Go, go, go!”
Oliver (on phone): Talk to me, Felicity! Talk to me!”
Felicity (on phone): Ahem. Heading towards Adams and O'Neil. At the clip he's going, he's got to be in a vehicle.”
Oliver (to man on motorcycle): “Hey. I need your bike.”
Man: “Are you kidding me?” 
Oliver: “No.” (Punches guy out.) I'm mobile. Where is he? Talk to me, Felicity.” 
Felicity: “First time anyone's ever been grateful for traffic cameras. He's one block from your position. If you cut through Harris Plaza, you'll end up right behind him.”
Oliver: “Where is he now?”
Felicity: “I got him, got him, got him. Gray sedan driving north. At the light ahead of you. Dead ahead. Ok, hard right.” 
Oliver: “Got him.”
The Dodger: "Hey! Don't do anything stupid. I had the foresight to collar up a particularly inquisitive blonde. I assume she's a friend of yours. Touch one hair on my head and she loses hers. You've got quite the choice to make, don't you?”
(Beeping sound)
Felicity (gasping): "Oh, thank God.”
The Dodger: "Why are you doing this? I'm exactly like you. I only steal from the rich.”
Oliver (zapping him): "I'm not Robin Hood."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
On 2/7/2020 at 1:32 PM, tv echo said:

115 (Dodger) – Felicity tells Oliver that he could do some real good in the city, and Oliver tells Felicity that she’s not the only one who knows how to reboot his system:

I love this because he's trying to intimate her by invading her personal space and the innuendo but she's having none of it and up and quits, even though they both know she finds him attractive. And also because in spite of Oliver being an ass it is all kinds of hot as well. 

• Love 3

115 (Dodger) - DELETED SCENE: While on a date with McKenna Hall, Oliver confirms security measures with Diggle: 
(Inside nightclub)
Oliver: "Sorry about that."
McKenna: "Oh, don't be. I want that dance."
Oliver: "Just give me a second. Two minutes."
McKenna: "One minute?"
Oliver: "Okay."
(McKenna leaves as Diggle approaches.)
Oliver: "Trouble?"
Diggle: "We're all clear. Triple security at every door. We have two teams at your house right now."
Oliver: "Okay."
Diggle: "Oliver. Go dance with your girlfriend. Or is dancing the one thing you didn't learn how to do on that island?"

Edited by tv echo

I don't know which scene I love more, the confrontation in the foundry or the one in Big Belly. That one is just hilarious. 

I can't read the Thea and Laurel scene without captain Holt popping into my head.