Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Nev Schulman: Tangoing Past the Catfishers

• Start Topic

Nev Schulman is an American producer, photographer and TV host. He is best known for the 2010 documentary film "Catfish" and the follow-up TV series "Catfish: The TV Show," of which he is the host and executive producer on MTV. Aside from his impressive entertainment career, Schulman spends time supporting local organizations and charities in New York City and nationwide. He served on the youth board for the Canadian-based organization Leave Out Violence and hosted the annual Dance Against Cancer. In 2014, Schulman published his first book, "In Real Life: Love, Lies & Identity in the Digital Age," in which he gives both personal history and observations gleaned from his work on "Catfish." "Catfish" is more than just a popular TV series, but it is a commentary on our society today. It was because of Schulman and older brother Rel Schulman that the phrase became so widely understood today and has since been added to The Merriam Webster Dictionary. Schulman and his wife, Laura Perlongo, host the Facebook series called "We Need to Talk." Additionally, Schulman and Laura have created series of socially focused videos online (around issues like parental leave and gender roles) which have garnered over 250 million views.

Dancing with Jenna Johnson.

7 hours ago, Kira53 said:

So what's his dance background? It was pretty evident by his performance that he's not just stepping on the dance floor for the first time. What is his mother dance teacher?

I just had to look it up and I didn't realize he has a more extensive dance background than I thought. He studied dance for many years and part of his major in college was for dance. So he's no amateur and knows dance very well.

Nev was pretty good and given his dance experience I'm sure he'll do well. As someone who watches Catfish I wasn't surprised that he had to publicly reassure his wife. Most Catfish viewers already suspected that she's insecure. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, spunky said:

Nev was pretty good and given his dance experience I'm sure he'll do well. As someone who watches Catfish I wasn't surprised that he had to publicly reassure his wife. Most Catfish viewers already suspected that she's insecure. 

I bet it’s killing her she can’t be in the audience. She’s going to miss those camera pans and dance dedications to her. Girl loves attention and being right there beside Nev for everything. 

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

I bet it’s killing her she can’t be in the audience. She’s going to miss those camera pans and dance dedications to her. Girl loves attention and being right there beside Nev for everything. 

She is too much. I feel like someone told Tyra about her which is why she prompted him to say something to his family. Poor Jenna must have been thinking WTH.

• LOL 1
40 minutes ago, spunky said:

She is too much. I feel like someone told Tyra about her which is why she prompted him to say something to his family. Poor Jenna must have been thinking WTH.

Well ironically Jenna is equally needy with attention and validation. I just remember when Max left Catfish, next thing you know his wife was on every episode giving her input on the situation at hand. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, spunky said:

I noticed he said that. I've never seen Catfish. I was thinking Jenna's got her beloved Val. That hookup ain't gonna happen.

• Love 1
On 9/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, legaleagle53 said:

So why was his posture so horrifically BAD in the Foxtrot?

Maybe because he didn't take ballroom dancing before? I don't think any judge said his posture was horrifically bad.  His posture looked very good to a non-dancer compared to anybody else I've seen doing Foxtrot the first week. I instantly knew that he had considerable dance training because he was just too good for two weeks of training.  Imho, He had very good performance quality even if everything was not up to ballroom dancing pro technique.  Why did you describe it as horrific?  Isn't that an extreme description?  What about Carol Baskin?  I think her performance should be safe for the word horrific.

4 hours ago, Kira53 said:

Maybe because he didn't take ballroom dancing before? I don't think any judge said his posture was horrifically bad.  His posture looked very good to a non-dancer compared to anybody else I've seen doing Foxtrot the first week. I instantly knew that he had considerable dance training because he was just too good for two weeks of training.  Imho, He had very good performance quality even if everything was not up to ballroom dancing pro technique.  Why did you describe it as horrific?  Isn't that an extreme description?  What about Carol Baskin?  I think her performance should be safe for the word horrific.

OK, I just rewatched it, and maybe "horrific" is a little strong, but his frame in hold could still have been much stronger on a more consistent basis. He was a little too hunched over in hold with his head and shoulders too far forward, and his butt stuck out the entire time. Someone with as much dance training as he's had would know that in dance, strong lines are half the battle.  He needed to be upright, with his head up, his shoulders back and down, his chest up, out, and open, and his butt tucked under -- oh, and he also missed most, if not all, of his heel leads.

Edited by legaleagle53
18 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Well ironically Jenna is equally needy with attention and validation. I just remember when Max left Catfish, next thing you know his wife was on every episode giving her input on the situation at hand. 

So he's dealing with two needy women. Poor guy. Yeah that season was rough. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

I noticed he said that. I've never seen Catfish. I was thinking Jenna's got her beloved Val. That hookup ain't gonna happen.

His wife for whatever reason is extremely needy. In a regular season she probably would've wedged herself in between him a Jenna after the dance.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2020 at 11:22 PM, legaleagle53 said:

OK, I just rewatched it, and maybe "horrific" is a little strong, but his frame in hold could still have been much stronger on a more consistent basis. He was a little too hunched over in hold with his head and shoulders too far forward, and his butt stuck out the entire time. Someone with as much dance training as he's had would know that in dance, strong lines are half the battle.  He needed to be upright, with his head up, his shoulders back and down, his chest up, out, and open, and his butt tucked under -- oh, and he also missed most, if not all, of his heel leads.

Thanks for the information.  Sooooo, what about Carol Baskin?  

On 9/19/2020 at 4:35 PM, Kira53 said:

Thanks for the information.  Sooooo, what about Carol Baskin?  

Excuse me, but her correct name is "That bitch Carol Baskin" I'm only here for Nev, so that would be highly entertaining for me 😊

• Love 1
On 9/19/2020 at 10:18 PM, legaleagle53 said:

What about her? She's the Sean Spicer of this season, and she's trying her best. But Pasha can only do so much with her!

Carol may keep Pasha on the show longer than a mid level contestant.  Controversy sells.  There is so much to be bothered by.  I love cats but people really don't like all the cat references.

I want Nev to stay for entertainment value.  Never heard of them before the shower but now I'm a fan at least it is dancing. I'm not gonna get into whatever his controversies are.  But Carole better not stay over Nev; otherwise we riot.  Oh, maybe that's overstating my involvement with the show.

• Love 1