Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Meet Gracie Duggar

Temperance
  • Start Topic

On 9/3/2020 at 4:33 PM, Spazamanaz said:

It really irritates me when people use the word 'are' in place of 'our'. For example, 'this is are house' instead of 'this is our house'. 

But in that particular speakers’ head, they DID say “our”.  They are fully expressing “this is OUR house”.  that particular squashing of correctness comes from Appalachia.  My husband does it if he’s not careful (grew up on it).  “It’s about an are from here”.  The really dedicated ones would bend it almost to “it’s about an air from here”.  They would think YoU were nuts for having a problem.  There’s a difference between butchering a word or phrase because you never thought your way through it, and just being so lazy with your speech that you use mispronounced words as the norm.  My West Virginia friend asked me once to borrow my ARN.  I’d know her for awhile but thought this was funny enough to make her repeat it several times before I told her, “yeah. Come get the IRON”. Same girl took shairs daily (the kind that make you feel clean and where you can wash your hair).

I am personally trying to work on my own personal little “did you really say that??”  Word”.  I have taken complete ownership of the word “own”.  
when the dog takes too long, I yell “Come. OWN.”  It means come “on” down here.  I am MORTIFIED  when I HEAR that come froM my lips.  I don’t know how or when the “w” found its way in there.

I’ve also cringed to hear my own voice and lips form the entire conversation:

”I’m own goda store. You’owna go?”  And I was generous to the reader to use spaces.  There are few or no spaces.  The words get rolled into the dough sentence, no punctuation and no bother.  “Technically” what we say is this: “imgoinna store. Y’ownna go?”

in light of all that, and confessing that country white is no better than white trash Ebonics, it seems to ME I could pass on what ought to be minor trash lite (but isnt).  

1) I seen it.  I seen him yesterday at-ta store.

2) them are gooood!!!!!  That’s not what I usually get but them are gooood

them right there make my skin crawl.  

• LOL 9
3 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

But in that particular speakers’ head, they DID say “our”.  They are fully expressing “this is OUR house”.  that particular squashing of correctness comes from Appalachia.  My husband does it if he’s not careful (grew up on it).  “It’s about an are from here”.  The really dedicated ones would bend it almost to “it’s about an air from here”.  They would think YoU were nuts for having a problem.  There’s a difference between butchering a word or phrase because you never thought your way through it, and just being so lazy with your speech that you use mispronounced words as the norm.  My West Virginia friend asked me once to borrow my ARN.  I’d know her for awhile but thought this was funny enough to make her repeat it several times before I told her, “yeah. Come get the IRON”. Same girl took shairs daily (the kind that make you feel clean and where you can wash your hair).

I am personally trying to work on my own personal little “did you really say that??”  Word”.  I have taken complete ownership of the word “own”.  
when the dog takes too long, I yell “Come. OWN.”  It means come “on” down here.  I am MORTIFIED  when I HEAR that come froM my lips.  I don’t know how or when the “w” found its way in there.

I’ve also cringed to hear my own voice and lips form the entire conversation:

”I’m own goda store. You’owna go?”  And I was generous to the reader to use spaces.  There are few or no spaces.  The words get rolled into the dough sentence, no punctuation and no bother.  “Technically” what we say is this: “imgoinna store. Y’ownna go?”

in light of all that, and confessing that country white is no better than white trash Ebonics, it seems to ME I could pass on what ought to be minor trash lite (but isnt).  

1) I seen it.  I seen him yesterday at-ta store.

2) them are gooood!!!!!  That’s not what I usually get but them are gooood

them right there make my skin crawl.  

My family from Western NC says "our" the same as "are" too. Their long Is almost always become aw sounds too. "fire" is "far." One of their favorite outburst words is "Hellfar!" 🤣 It doesn't have quite the same ring to it when pronounced right.

Edited to add: Thought this was Small Talk. Sorry. In the name of being on topic, Ozark accents can be quite similar to Appalachian accents, so it doesn't surprise me there's some overlap with that and the Duggars. Personally, I think Arkansas Ozark accents are a touch softer than Appalachian accents and have more of a twang. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

My family from Western NC says "our" the same as "are" too. Their long Is almost always become aw sounds too. "fire" is "far." One of their favorite outburst words is "Hellfar!" 🤣 It doesn't have quite the same ring to it when pronounced right.

Edited to add: Thought this was Small Talk. Sorry. In the name of being on topic, Ozark accents can be quite similar to Appalachian accents, so it doesn't surprise me there's some overlap with that and the Duggars. Personally, I think Arkansas Ozark accents are a touch softer than Appalachian accents and have more of a twang. 

I was in a church choir for a little while when we lived in Virginia. We were learning a new hymn, which had the word "fire" in it, spread over two notes at the end of a line. Somehow, it seemed beyond a number of people how a word which seemed to only have one syllable could fit the phrasing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Zella said:

Ozark accents can be quite similar to Appalachian accents, so it doesn't surprise me there's some overlap with that and the Duggars. Personally, I think Arkansas Ozark accents are a touch softer than Appalachian accents and have more of a twang. 

They're close enough that I can translate rural Arkansas to standard English fairly well.  When we stopped for directions in Mt. Ida, AR, my daughters were certain the hardware store guy was speaking a foreign language.  I grew up in the Appalachians so I'm quite attuned to fire = far, rural = rule, Byron = Barn, etc.  

Edited by Absolom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 11/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I was in a church choir for a little while when we lived in Virginia. We were learning a new hymn, which had the word "fire" in it, spread over two notes at the end of a line. Somehow, it seemed beyond a number of people how a word which seemed to only have one syllable could fit the phrasing.

Fi-yer IS a word.  I had a friend here from NY last year and I asked my husband if the oil was still in the basement.  She looked up, absolutely stunned and said “what???  Say that again!!”  Then (to herself) “wow.  They really say ool.  They really do pronounce it that way”. Back to me with a big grin “say it again!!”

but here’s why I had to respond to your post.  I played piano for 157 years in church - all of them in Georgia, none of them in areas known for worrying over things like pronunciation.  And I can’t even TELL you how many songs contain the word GLORY, or begin to spell it like we say it.  GLO-reeeee is about as close as I can get.  I would almost have to slow down a bit to give the choir members enough room to get their GLO-ree on before the next phrase.  

• LOL 8

Regarding accents:

A couple of months ago, I had the TV on in the background, and the 1940s Mighty Joe Young was one. I wasn't watching, but as soon as one character spoke, I sat up straight and thought, "If that man's not from Oklahoma or Arkansas, you can shoot me." Come to find out, it was a super young (and surprisingly handsome!) Ben Johnson, who was originally from Oklahoma, a couple of hours from the Arkansas border. I've been rewatching some of my favorite old Westerns recently, and in one, Johnson welcomed someone to the Flat Arn (Iron) Ranch, which made me smile after our conversation here about those "i"/"a" sounds.

But to bring it to the Duggars, I can't really explain why, but there is something about Johnson's manner of speaking that is recognizably rural to me that I don't hear in the Duggars. He sounds very similar to people I know from rural NW Arkansas that isn't echoed in other people from the same area who didn't grow up on a farm. So, the Duggars to me certainly sound like they're from Arkansas, but they don't sound like they're from rural Arkansas, at least to my ears. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

In Indiana some people are prone to singing "Are Ye Warshed in the Blood." You might hear that with the Duggar clan.  

• LOL 4