Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Meet Gracie Duggar

Temperance
  • Start Topic

Just now, Jynnan tonnix said:

That and all the "could of, should of, would of". Do people just not realize that the word "have" exists? "Could of" doesn't even make sense.

It really irritates me when people use the word 'are' in place of 'our'. For example, 'this is are house' instead of 'this is our house'. 

• Love 8

It also irritates me that the pronunciation of "our" has drifted from the 2 syllable "hour" to the 1 syllable "are". A lot...almost as much as the "experts" who claim the Oxford comma is unnecessary. (I may have issues.) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Enya Face said:

Lose/loose, weather/whether, and “I couldn’t care less.” Oh! Make it stoooop! Seriously!

1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That and all the "could of, should of, would of". Do people just not realize that the word "have" exists? "Could of" doesn't even make sense.

"Towed" the line.

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

You have to have sense to care if things make sense, however. 😁

• Love 5
On 9/1/2020 at 10:46 PM, AussiesRule said:

Why does Jana have Michelle on her phone as "Momma Duggar'?

Just a guess but it might have something to do with how her name appears in her contacts. If it was just Momma, it would be in the M Section. Adding the last name puts it in the Ds. Maybe in case of emergency, LE would be able to contact someone?  🤷🏻‍♀️ Idk why they do half the stuff they do. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Nysha said:

It also irritates me that the pronunciation of "our" has drifted from the 2 syllable "hour" to the 1 syllable "are". A lot...almost as much as the "experts" who claim the Oxford comma is unnecessary. (I may have issues.) 

Come sit by me. I listen for this in interviews and judge people accordingly. LOL 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I laughed when I read upthread about Momma Duggar.  lol  In NC, many people call their parents mama, mommy, daddy, for their entire lives.  Age makes no difference. And, I looked into my phone and saw that I have my father listed as Daddy James home and cell.  lol   I have no idea why.  I have my brothers listed similarly.  

My original post wasn't so much about the "Momma" part but the "Duggar" part. Just curious as to why she would add the surname when she has no in-laws.

1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

Just a guess but it might have something to do with how her name appears in her contacts. If it was just Momma, it would be in the M Section. Adding the last name puts it in the Ds. Maybe in case of emergency, LE would be able to contact someone?  🤷🏻‍♀️ Idk why they do half the stuff they do. 

She has an iPhone. it puts contacts under the first name (at least mine does; it could be something in the settings) so it would still be in the Ms even with the Duggar added. If she put all her family under the Ds it would be a long section! Then again if all her siblings are under their first name the Js would be just as long. She can't really win.  😂

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

Yeah, mom/mama/momma/etc — that part is normal. But who calls their mom by their last name? 😂 I’m hoping that someone else imported the contacts from their phone? 

Maybe it’s some weird thing where “Momma Duggar” or someone created the contact list or restricts the contacts that even the grown kids can have on their phones? I’m not tech-savvy enough to really know how that would work or if it’s even possible, though, honestly.

• Love 3

I will admit to having many close relatives in my phone under full names (mainly just a matter of consistency so when there are multiple folks with the same first name, I know who I'm getting ready to dial when I'm zooming through my contacts. Like my good friend Brandon versus my annoying cousin Brandon. 😉 ). But my stepmom and dad are just there as Mom and Dad. I really can't figure out why Jana would need to identify which Momma is on her phone. 

• Love 7

My MIL has survived all other parents and in-laws. I still have her in my contacts by her full name. No reason; I don't know anyone else with the same first name. I've toyed with the idea of calling her Crazy MIL but never pulled the trigger.

Jana? I have no clue why she identifies Meech that way. It's certainly odd, to say the least.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

My MIL has survived all other parents and in-laws. I still have her in my contacts by her full name. No reason; I don't know anyone else with the same first name. I've toyed with the idea of calling her Crazy MIL but never pulled the trigger.

Jana? I have no clue why she identifies Meech that way. It's certainly odd, to say the least.

I've just been having an internal debate with myself: If I were married, would my husband be in my phone by his first name or his full name? Not gonna lie, just for the sake of consistency, it would probably be full name, and I have a sneaking suspicion that would be odd. So, maybe I'm as much of a weirdo as Jana. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, rue721 said:

Yeah, mom/mama/momma/etc — that part is normal. But who calls their mom by their last name? 😂 I’m hoping that someone else imported the contacts from their phone? 

Maybe it’s some weird thing where “Momma Duggar” or someone created the contact list or restricts the contacts that even the grown kids can have on their phones? I’m not tech-savvy enough to really know how that would work or if it’s even possible, though, honestly.

Maybe it's because her parents repeatedly sign "birthday cards" to their own children as "Mom and Dad Duggar." 😁

If you're a Duggarling, you've seen a bazillion online "birthday cards" signed that way. "We're so blessed by your heart for Jesus, Jana. Mom and Dad Duggar."

Maybe it starts to seem normal after a while.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Zella said:

I've just been having an internal debate with myself: If I were married, would my husband be in my phone by his first name or his full name? Not gonna lie, just for the sake of consistency, it would probably be full name, and I have a sneaking suspicion that would be odd. So, maybe I'm as much of a weirdo as Jana. 🤦‍♀️

My husband is in my phone as first name, last name but I added him when we were dating and am apparently too lazy to change it 🤷‍♀️ My parents are in my phone as Mom and Dad though, so maybe I'm slightly less weird than Jana. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

My sister will call my mother “Momma [last name]” but I’m pretty sure she’s “mom” in her phone. I agree with the person who speculated it was for contact sorting reasons. Although how many non-Duggars is Jana allowed to have saved on her phone?

• Love 3

iPhones have a place to put  an emergency contact number.   Furthermore, if I’m looking thru a strangers phone contact list for their Mom’s phone number, I’m going to the M for Mom  or Momma and the D for Dad or Daddy. Any version of Mom with a last  name screams mother in law to me. I would keep scrolling until I determined that no just Mom was listed. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

My husband is in my phone as first name, last name but I added him when we were dating and am apparently too lazy to change it 🤷‍♀️ My parents are in my phone as Mom and Dad though, so maybe I'm slightly less weird than Jana. 

So....mine are actually in my phone as Mom LastName and Dad LastName due to connecting one contact into two (ie I connected their phone number contact that was in apple to their GMail contact information) and it just did that...and I've been too lazy to change it.  So I'll just go do that.....

• Love 2

Speaking of iPhone contacts, I’m just plain  and practical and use full and last name, even for my mom. She, on the other hand, has me listed as “Sweetheart”.  

Some people are more clever than I have patience for.  My cousin has “Baby girl” for her daughter, and “Baby Daddy” for the father 😟

Her daughter uses “Birth giver” or Matka (she’s Polish) as mother, and “Abuelita”, for her Ecuadorian grandmother. 🤷‍♀️

On 9/3/2020 at 7:07 PM, iwantcookies said:

Tooken is often heard on Judge Judy. I die a little every time I hear it. 

I’ve learned to tolerate many of these, but I have to draw the line as I’s. People really struggle with the possessive form. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, AryasMum said:

Speaking of iPhone contacts, I’m just plain  and practical and use full and last name, even for my mom. She, on the other hand, has me listed as “Sweetheart”.  

Some people are more clever than I have patience for.  My cousin has “Baby girl” for her daughter, and “Baby Daddy” for the father 😟

Her daughter uses “Birth giver” or Matka (she’s Polish) as mother, and “Abuelita”, for her Ecuadorian grandmother. 🤷‍♀️

I’ve learned to tolerate many of these, but I have to draw the line as I’s. People really struggle with the possessive form. 

I'm Polish, and have never thought of Matka as meaning anything but Mother. Maybe there's another subtext in there that I'm not aware of, but my parents always spoke Polish exclusively to me, and I'd never think of translating it as "birth giver". Now I'm really curious. 

My phone contacts are all brief and to the point. Only first names, since I don't have that many people as contacts and none of them share names. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm Polish, and have never thought of Matka as meaning anything but Mother. Maybe there's another subtext in there that I'm not aware of, but my parents always spoke Polish exclusively to me, and I'd never think of translating it as "birth giver". Now I'm really curious. 

My phone contacts are all brief and to the point. Only first names, since I don't have that many people as contacts and none of them share names. 

She’d use the terms independently!

On 9/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, toomuchtv said:

My 2nd graders teacher keeps saying “fusstrated” 

My MIL says "flusterated" and while giving me a recipe, said I could change the ingredients depending on whatever "fixations" I had on hand.  I really have to bite my tongue to "dill" with my "fillins" around her.  

• LOL 11
On 9/5/2020 at 1:25 PM, Westiepeach said:

All right. My turn. I have Husband listed in my phone as “Sweetie.” Because I love hearing my incoming call as: “ Swee Tee.” Like 2 separate words. It’s the little things... And yes, I have no life. Oh well.

Omg, that’s adorable! I have my husband listed as “Burrito Emperor” and I cackle at it each time he calls. My mother, a woman I love the crap out of, is listed as “Mommy Dearest” because we love to shit talk that glorious film together. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
On 9/3/2020 at 10:42 PM, toomuchtv said:

My 2nd graders teacher keeps saying “fusstrated” 

Ok. I need a tiny clue to your location if you are comfortable. I teach with a second grade teacher who says “fusstrated”. It drives me crazy. I always want to ask her to spell it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, HooHooHoo said:

Ok. I need a tiny clue to your location if you are comfortable. I teach with a second grade teacher who says “fusstrated”. It drives me crazy. I always want to ask her to spell it!

Lol Orlando suburb... 

• Love 1
On 9/2/2020 at 8:49 AM, sATL said:

Aside from looking at the cute babies Jessa/Ben seem to create - just how many pieces of paper does one need to tape to the wall? Is this part of their schooling? Maybe get a bulletin board (the kind that stuff sticks to; no pins) or white board, that is out of kiddies reach ?

Name spelling... Suprgeon should at least know it begins with an "S", by now

image.png.7d8855fc8f0d90a1be8ebf46642bbc1b.png

To be fair, is there a RIGHT way to spell That kid’s name?!

Edited by tvisme
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
On 9/2/2020 at 12:17 PM, zenme said:

I still do. I’m going to be 50 this year. My mom always called her father “daddy” until his death at 100. 

I called mine Mama and Daddy until they died.  In fact, referred to my father as “my Daddy”.  Even to him.  (I have brothers - I do it just to let them know I’m the favorite.  And because they still insist I was adopted).  Is that a southern thing?  I don’t think I realized that.  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I think it is a Southern thing. I've called my dad Daddy all my life, though I don't refer to him that way around people usually. Still also call his mom Granny. At the library where I work, we used to have a very proper Southern gentleman who was easily in his 60s who would bring in his father (who had to have at least been in his 80s). And he totally still called his dad Daddy. It was kind of adorable. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Zella said:

I think it is a Southern thing. I've called my dad Daddy all my life, though I don't refer to him that way around people usually. Still also call his mom Granny. At the library where I work, we used to have a very proper Southern gentleman who was easily in his 60s who would bring in his father (who had to have at least been in his 80s). And he totally still called his dad Daddy. It was kind of adorable. 

Yep. There's a strong Southern influence in my family. And, I'm old. Besides "Daddy," there's the use of "sir" and "ma'am" which was big when I was growing up. Kids addressed adults as "sir" or "ma'am" which was considered just basic good civilized manners and was the expected norm. As in, raised eyebrows and consequences later from your parents if you weren't polite and respectful.

And, BTW I've never lived in the South proper, but there's a lot of that cultural influence in Texas and Oklahoma, where I grew up. I'm long gone from there now and don't know how much times have changed, but it doesn't surprise me if Duggars and Duggar in laws talk like that.

• Love 4

My husband does a weird thing with his phone. With myself and our kids he has our initial, a space and then our name. That way we're first behind that letter in the alphabet. So I would G Gee. Its really funny in the car when he's making a verbal request for the phone to call one of us. Like if one of our names was Sally, he has to say, call ess Sally, or for Dick it would be dee Dick.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1