Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Is your Fresh Market part of the big chain? Because the ones around me don't have the name of an owner in front of them.

Good question. I don't know the answer to that but when I googled Fresh Market the Western most one was in Oklahoma. I plugged in my state and none shows. That must be why the owner's name is in the title. However, the owner's name is much smaller then FM so I wonder if they are testing the area to see if it is worth expanding into MT. They can easily drop the Yoke's for the signage if they want to incorporate these stores into the full family. We have two Yoke's Fresh Market right now and they both are always busy when i go get up to town. Otherwise I would think FM would have made them change the name...just a thought.

The front of the store looks much the same, and the Yoke's just floats above and to the left of FM.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Good question. I don't know the answer to that but when I googled Fresh Market the Western most one was in Oklahoma. I plugged in my state and none shows. That must be why the owner's name is in the title. However, the owner's name is much smaller then FM so I wonder if they are testing the area to see if it is worth expanding into MT. They can easily drop the Yoke's for the signage if they want to incorporate these stores into the full family. We have two Yoke's Fresh Market right now and they both are always busy when i go get up to town. Otherwise I would think FM would have made them change the name...just a thought.

The front of the store looks much the same, and the Yoke's just floats above and to the left of FM.

That's interesting - I guess they're not affiliated with each other. I took a look at their store locator and this chain is only in the Northeast, Mid Atlantic, Southeast and Midwest. It supposedly wins favorite food store chain every year so it's a neat place, though.

• Like 1

They are two different stores.  I was intrigued and looked it up yesterday.  There are a lot of different stores with fresh market as part of their name.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 7/9/2024 at 7:35 PM, ginger90 said:

When I used to take people for glasses on a regular basis, I would take a picture on my cell of them in a few frames they liked. Looking in the mirror just isn’t the same as looking at a picture of yourself wearing them. 

This is a really good idea. I have given up finding anything that I "like" because I really just can't tell what I look like in them. Duhh...just take a self photo! I wish I would have thought of that. I've never known what I looked like in frames until I got them back with the lenses in them.

I buy my frames based on comfort. I finally found what may be the two most comfortable frames I have ever worn. I actually bought a second empty frame and it sits in a drawer for when these ones wear out, but they are still going 5 years later and have a second lens set in them. The other favorite is my gardening transitions and the same frame set with my pottery throwing bifocals.

I've been "blind" my entire life. I never remember seeing clearly until I got my first pair of glasses in 4th grade. Oddly, I still have the tiny bit of 20/20 vision at the point 3 inches from my nose which has never changed. I was able to fake it until 4th grade when it was discovered that I couldn't see anything clearly...except at those 3 inches. I also have a problem with depth perception and learned how to get around without always bumping into things.

• Like 7

@ginger90 that is a good idea re the self photo. That is exactly what happened to me. I couldn't really tell what they looked like when I picked them up, but when I got home I saw immediately they didn't look right! I called the eye dr's office right away and finally  3weeks later, I am happy. A photo it will be from now on!!

And  @Roslyn another great idea. Buying a couple of frames in the style you find you like and putting them aside for later. That would get rid of all the aggravation of trying on new ones each time.  I get 2-3 years out of a prescription, after cataract surgery my eyes change very little each year.  

And from @Yeah No I add to my list to insist on the pair I try on when choosing tortoiseshell type glasses!

All things I wouldn't have thought of but for this experience and posting about it! Thanks!!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Roslyn said:

This is a really good idea. I have given up finding anything that I "like" because I really just can't tell what I look like in them. Duhh...just take a self photo! I wish I would have thought of that. I've never known what I looked like in frames until I got them back with the lenses in them.

I buy my frames based on comfort. I finally found what may be the two most comfortable frames I have ever worn. I actually bought a second empty frame and it sits in a drawer for when these ones wear out, but they are still going 5 years later and have a second lens set in them. The other favorite is my gardening transitions and the same frame set with my pottery throwing bifocals.

I've been "blind" my entire life. I never remember seeing clearly until I got my first pair of glasses in 4th grade. Oddly, I still have the tiny bit of 20/20 vision at the point 3 inches from my nose which has never changed. I was able to fake it until 4th grade when it was discovered that I couldn't see anything clearly...except at those 3 inches. I also have a problem with depth perception and learned how to get around without always bumping into things.

Me, too. My prescription is double digits and my lenses distort my face 😞. I hate the way it looks but I can’t be bothered with contacts anymore, especially since I still need glasses to see up close when I wear them - what’s the point?  I walk into door frames all the time. I’m just thankful they can make lenses that are so much thinner and lighter than they used to be. My glasses used to be so heavy they’d give me a headache. 

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Kbo said:

Me, too. My prescription is double digits and my lenses distort my face 😞. I hate the way it looks but I can’t be bothered with contacts anymore, especially since I still need glasses to see up close when I wear them - what’s the point?  I walk into door frames all the time. I’m just thankful they can make lenses that are so much thinner and lighter than they used to be. My glasses used to be so heavy they’d give me a headache. 

Yea, my lenses were super thick back when they were made of glass. They were always falling down my nose. I pay the extra bit for the slim style and they stay put on my face, but they do really distort my face, especially the larger frames for gardening and my bifocals. It is what it is. I briefly tried hard contacts back in the day but they made me so sensitive to light that I had to wear sunglasses indoors...what was the point of the contact then?

• Like 5
On 7/13/2024 at 4:38 PM, Gramto6 said:

@ginger90 that is a good idea re the self photo. That is exactly what happened to me. I couldn't really tell what they looked like when I picked them up, but when I got home I saw immediately they didn't look right! I called the eye dr's office right away and finally  3weeks later, I am happy. A photo it will be from now on!!

And  @Roslyn another great idea. Buying a couple of frames in the style you find you like and putting them aside for later. That would get rid of all the aggravation of trying on new ones each time.  I get 2-3 years out of a prescription, after cataract surgery my eyes change very little each year.  

And from @Yeah No I add to my list to insist on the pair I try on when choosing tortoiseshell type glasses!

All things I wouldn't have thought of but for this experience and posting about it! Thanks!!

Here's another idea - I've found that eyeglasses look completely different in the store than they do outside and at home, so even a photo of me in them in the store isn't representative of what they would look like in most places. The bright lights are deceiving. So I think next time unless I'm really sure of a certain frame I might buy it and take it home for a while on a "test basis" before having lenses put in them. It's much easier to return them before you get them made than afterward if after you get them home you decide you don't really like them.

I bought a couple of spare pairs of my current frames because I like them so much and tend not to like the way I look in most glasses. I found them brand new on Ebay for MUCH less than in the store. I'm glad I did because last year I broke my first pair and it was super easy to have the lenses popped out of the first pair and put into the second.

• Like 6

6,689 steps yesterday.

Decided that since it was cooler yesterday I'd make a quick run up to town to Target. I had bought a pair of sandals there when I was in town Thursday and they are so comfy I wanted to get the other colors while they still had them. Got 2 more pairs (only $15 ea) and I would have gotten black ones too, only they were already sold out! Glad I went!

All that is on the agenda is garbage to the road, a quick run to pick up mail at PO and get more yogurt at the grocery next door to it. That is the only place anywhere I've checked that carries that brand.

Other than that it is kitten patrol. Just missed it yesterday. The 17th is coming soon! I can't believe 2 adults can't outsmart one little kitten! LOL!

• Like 7
(edited)

6,090 steps yesterday.

Quick PO and grocery run then, all attention on getting the kitten. Lots of back and forth between windows to keep an eye on it and mama. But in the end all worth it! 

I caught the kitten!!! I had just about given up last evening just after 9pm, tired of standing watching by the window. All the other cats had eaten, lazed around on the cooling concrete and gone off to wherever they go for the night when all of a sudden mama and kitten calmly walked into the garage. I had pushed all the food dishes to the back so they had to go way in. Stealthily, I slipped out the door I had left ajar and screen I had set a bit open so no sounds. I grabbed the pulley we had set up and shut the door on them!! Finally!! And not a day too soon, tomorrow is the TNR appointment.

I immediately called my friend as she wanted to see if she could reunite it with the other two. As I hung up I had a searing pain across my low back. It doubled me over. The weirdest thing I had ever felt. I sat on the step and it passed, the only thing I could think of was all the tension I had been holding in regarding catching this kitten was just leaving my body. I felt better with just a bit of an ache left, about an hour later and that is all I feel today. There was so much pressure on me to get this kitten, I didn't realize I had internalized it so much.

Today is going to be a day of rest with no worries, finally all of us, the cats and I can get back to our normal happy routine!!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

4,052 steps yesterday.

I had my day of rest finally! 

Today the kittens go to the Vet at the TNR place and then will stay overnight at my friend's house. The first two are well on their way to their forever homes and the last one we just caught will come back to me and its mama here. It appears to have passed the window when it can be easily socialized. I still have a little secret hope that she was able to work a little magic with it yesterday and maybe tonight, and that kitten may also be adoptable. Regardless, it will always have a home with me!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 10

4,737 steps yesterday.

Probably will be another lazy day. I don't have any pressing reasons to go outside much except to see the kitten released.  I guess I have earned some lazy days given how crazy things have been since we began building the kitty house. I kind of like it but don't want to make a habit of it.

My friend is bringing the kitten home this morning. It is just too feral for anything else. Mama cat will be happy and it is the best for the kitten. All 3 of the kittens were female! So glad I got the last one too, as that put a good dent in feral births around here!

I'll be glad to have it back, it is so cute and watching it play makes me smile. I'll try to get it used to me early so maybe it will not be afraid of me any more.

• Like 6

I'm glad to hear all the kitties are fixed and hope you get no more.  It might be nice to have one playful kitten to watch.  I'm trying to take it easy now.  I've already done the watering and garden tasks for the day and taken my first walk.  All I plan to do for the rest of the day is pay bills and some laundry.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

4,575 steps yesterday.

Kitten came home in the morning and like a lightening flash, it darted under the deck, its "safe place". Mama spent the morning lounging under the lilac bush by where kitten dashed under. Late afternoon, kitten finally came out and sat on steps to deck by the lilac. Though they may have reunited in that time, I didn't see them back together until evening when they were lounging on the bench on the porch. Phew, so glad all is back to normal! LOL. whatever that may be!  

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

5,212 steps yesterday.

Mama and baby settling down, pretty much back to normal. Spied them a couple of times yesterday, adventuring together. Once going behind garage and once down through the weeds in the direction of the creek. Couldn't tell how close they got as the weeds are taller than they are. In the evening they were lounging together on the front deck. 

The extent of my exercise was doing 2 loads of laundry and a little tiding in the kitty house, but not much else. Today will be some housework and going through all sorts of copies of misc things and organizing and or trashing some of them. I just can't go outside much in this heat.

My right hand is just about completely healed. Just some small stiffness in the two fingers, not the thumb. Still doing the exercises. I expect to be totally healed by the time for surgery on the left hand (8/9). Sure is nice to have one hand that actually works right!

• Like 8

4,389 steps yesterday.

I think I am going to have to get more focused on steps again. So much has been going on lately that I have not paid attention at all on my steps. It is still too hot for anything outside so, I will stick with walking inside for now.

When I went out to feed the cats this morning around 7am, several of them were damp...I guess they went for a dip in the creek! Smart kitties! It is supposed to be 100° today, I bet a few more go for a dip!  😸

• Like 4

4,922 steps yesterday.

The heat is very oppressive outside, this long heat spell is unusual for us here in MT. There is nary a cat to be seen during the day. The cats stick to the shade, same as I stay indoors. Hopefully by the end of the week the heat will break and temps will be closer to normal. This heat isn't conducive to exercise for man or beast!

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
On 7/22/2024 at 11:54 AM, Gramto6 said:

4,922 steps yesterday.

The heat is very oppressive outside, this long heat spell is unusual for us here in MT. There is nary a cat to be seen during the day. The cats stick to the shade, same as I stay indoors. Hopefully by the end of the week the heat will break and temps will be closer to normal. This heat isn't conducive to exercise for man or beast!

I understand how you feel.  Here in Texas it is hot usually in the 90's at least 2 months during the summer if not higher.  Oddly this week we are having temps in the 80's which is a refreshing change, except for the humidity.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

4,942 steps yesterday.

It was so smoky yesterday I couldn't even see the mountains around me. Nothing major burning near me, but it is early in the season...sigh. The heat is supposed to continue until Wednesday. Poor kitties only come out when I call for breakfast and dinner time. With all this smoke, my walking is going to be inside except for a quick zip out to get a package out of my mailbox on the road, then to the PO and local grocery store.

ETA: I forgot to hit submit this morning on my post. I wrote this about 7:30AM!  I think my brain is starting to fry....

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 3

5,704 steps yesterday.

The hot weather and smoke continues. The heavy smoke cover is keeping the heat down that is about all it is good for. Tonight there may be thunderstorms with lightening and high winds. Oh boy! There already are several small fires and one bigger one around me, nothing threatening me at the time being. By tomorrow we are supposed to see a cooling trend...finally!

So will be another day of walking inside except for a couple small outdoor chores and feeding the cats.

• Hugs 5
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Hopefully the smoke won't disturb the kitties.  

Well, so far they don't seem to be bothered by it. Several are lounging on the front deck and a couple on the side of the house in the tall grass.  I'm thinking they are liking the cooler temp more than they have a problem with the smoke. They seem to all be acting normal.  The thunder and lightening does send them into hiding so I'm hoping there isn't much of that near here tonight!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 4

I was so looking forward to walking outside today, with the cooldown we're finally getting.  It's been high nineties/hundred + for days now.  But!  Smoky skies today, and it's visible and smells awful.  Stationary bike again for me.  It's going to be hazy for the next three days, too.

I like living in the west, but instead of tornadoes and hurricanes, we get wildfires and the occasional volcano or earthquake.  So I guess there's really no ideal place, at least weather-wise.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 7
30 minutes ago, precious pupp said:

I was so looking forward to walking outside today, with the cooldown we're finally getting.  It's been high nineties/hundred + for days now.  But!  Smoky skies today, and it's visible and smells awful.  Stationary bike again for me.  It's going to be hazy for the next three days, too.

I like living in the west, but instead of tornadoes and hurricanes, we get wildfires and the occasional volcano or earthquake.  So I guess there's really no ideal place, at least weather-wise.  🤷‍♀️

Here in the Northeast we get everything! We didn't used to get tornadoes but now we do. And we sometimes get what's left of hurricanes (which can be bad enough) or in rarer cases hurricanes themselves. And last year we were right in the path of all that wildfire smoke from both Canada and California too! Unfortunately the Jet Stream brings everybody's bad weather right over my state!

Fortunately the past week or so has been below 90 but that's been the exception this season so far. And the humidity has been atrocious. 

I thought San Diego and a lot of Southern California supposedly has the best weather in the U.S.

• Like 5
(edited)

5,766 steps yesterday.

The thunderstorm hit about 9:30PM last night. The wind was fierce and I began to feel like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz!! I wasn't sure my mobile home was going to withstand it. I expected worse tree damage but I was really lucky in that only one branch from a Dogwood in the front yard came down, otherwise just small tiny branches and leaves. The rain was pelting and then the power went out. It was the weirdest outage...some lights blinked dimly, some rooms had none. I unplugged TV, printer, microwave. My phone had just finished charging and the computer was not plugged in. It raged outside for about an hour then just rain. Reports say in my valley and up in town more than 10,000 people were w/out power and some still are. Mine was back when I got up at 6:30 am. And the overall damage to me was minimal. Missoula was the worst hit (that is what I refer to as "town"). Trees down on homes and still w/out power in some places. Though there was one fire for sure started in the hills behind me here.

The cats were freaked out! They were darting around trying to figure where to go to hide many headed for the garage home some under my car. When the worst was all over they started coming out and were exploring the downed branch and the yard in general. Thinking back they must have had a sense that the worst was over or they wouldn't have come out. And they were right!

Today my steps will be clearing the yard of what I can and walking all around to see if there is any other damage.  I hate the wind and holy frack, this wind was like nothing I have ever experienced! I haven't seen any reports of how strong it actually was, will post once I hear. 

At least the weather looks to be bearable today.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 5

Just saw an article about the storm. Winds clocked at 106 mph with gusts to 109 mph up in  the mountain (not a huge mountain, 5,158') just above Missoula (30 miles from me).  81mph down in town. Not much slower here. So Yikes! Category 2 Hurricane force winds!! Our predictions were for 60mph winds....

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 2

4,461 steps yesterday.

Didn't do as much as planned yesterday. Will try moving branch today and then have some inside chores that need to be done like vacuuming and dusting,,,ugh!

I can't believe how lucky we were around me that we didn't see much more damage from the storm!! I hope to never experience anything like that again in my life!!

Chewy order coming today so will be lots of lifting and carrying bags of food inside.

• Like 5

I'm so glad that the weather forecast yesterday didn't happen!  No haze that I could see or smell, so I got to take my walk to the hardware store to get a small can of paint and some brushes for some craft projects I want to work on this weekend.  It felt good to get outside in 70ish weather, blue skies, and sun.  

• Like 8

5,614 steps yesterday.

Most of the steps were inside. With all the smoke outside, more will be inside today too. Weather is much cooler but the smoke is just as bad, maybe worse for all the new little fires from the storm. Air Quality is unhealthy today.

Did some work outside yesterday, just picking up small branches. The big branch has become a play area for the cats.  They are climbing all over it and then climbing the tree it came from. It is kind of a cat jungle gym! 😸

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

More bleh news, because I won the genetic lottery (please note sarcasm)!

I now may have Cushing syndrome. I noticed a bump between my shoulders that wasn’t structural and my face had been puffy. I’ve been working out hard, but my body has been slow to change. I realise age has a bit to do with it, but I run 5 miles and then I do resistance training — every day. Just 7 years ago, this would have been enough to buff me up.

Has anyone else dealt with this? it’s frustrating, especially for someone who’s had anorexia and now has to limit even more calories. I’m basically fish and vegetables and water now — but I’ll do what I gotta do to stay moderately fit. 

Hope to find out more from the endocrinologist in October (yep it’s that far out). I’ve been getting spinal steroid shots for years and that may have something to do with it. I don’t have a tumor on my pituitary, either, which is good.

It's just…….frustrating. 

• Hugs 10

5,815 steps yesterday.

Mostly walking inside. I rebuilt one cat shelter on the side porch for a shady spot for the cats as the wind really tore it up. Several of the cats like to take naps in there. That was it for me being outside!

Today will probably be about the same. It is looking like our wet Spring is bringing on a very dangerous fire season!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 7/27/2024 at 1:10 PM, TurtlePower said:

More bleh news, because I won the genetic lottery (please note sarcasm)!

I now may have Cushing syndrome. I noticed a bump between my shoulders that wasn’t structural and my face had been puffy. I’ve been working out hard, but my body has been slow to change. I realise age has a bit to do with it, but I run 5 miles and then I do resistance training — every day. Just 7 years ago, this would have been enough to buff me up.

Has anyone else dealt with this? it’s frustrating, especially for someone who’s had anorexia and now has to limit even more calories. I’m basically fish and vegetables and water now — but I’ll do what I gotta do to stay moderately fit. 

Hope to find out more from the endocrinologist in October (yep it’s that far out). I’ve been getting spinal steroid shots for years and that may have something to do with it. I don’t have a tumor on my pituitary, either, which is good.

It's just…….frustrating. 

Sorry to hear you're dealing with that, @TurtlePower. I've never dealt with Cushing's but I totally get the frustration over having to limit calories. I recently found out I may have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and in many people, especially post-menopausal women, controlling one's weight can become more difficult. It is getting more difficult for me all the time. I do wonder about my cortisol levels, though. I may ask to have them checked.

You might remember I lost 25 lbs. between 2022 and 2023. I somehow plateaued after that and was unable to break it no matter what I did. I wanted to try weight loss drugs but was unable to tolerate Metformin (after a while it made me feel sick to my stomach) so the doctors didn't recommend trying one of the injectables like Ozempic or Wegovy. So without that I am left struggling and it feels like a losing battle. I was doing relatively well until this past Winter, when I gained a stubborn 5 lbs. that I could not lose no matter what. I stayed on my diet but it didn't help. I even tried other things like intermittent fasting and that didn't help either. I was stuck with those 5 lbs.

Then I went on a cruise in late June/early July of this year and gained another 4 lbs. in only a few days. I was very careful about what I ate and avoided fattening desserts and a lot of other fattening foods. If I ate a dessert (which I only did a handful of times) I ate a few bites and my husband ate the rest. Portion sizes were not all that big either, especially at the buffets so it was easy to engage in portion control. And there were many diet/healthy options on the menus too, like grilled fishes and tasty grilled and sauteed vegetables.

The kicker was that my husband and I averaged about 13,000 steps a day! For two people closer to 70 than 60 that's not too shabby. We walked everywhere in port in Halifax and Boston. Even on sea days we walked all over that ship from stem to stern on every single deck, exploring the entire thing. It was fun and I knew it would help burn calories. How I could have gained 4 additional pounds doing all that is just adding "insult to injury". But that's my new reality. I have to run faster than humanly possible just to stay in place. And that's of course just not possible.

I am following the media reports on the development of new pill-form diet meds. that work like Ozempic, etc., that do not cause stomach upset or nausea. I am reading that up to 40% of people that go on them experience some of that, often making them only tolerate it for a short time. 

I do want to say that some of what you may be experiencing (and me too) may be age related. As we age it does become harder to stay in shape and it will take longer to reach the same levels of fitness. But that's no consolation either because it's just one more thing conspiring to make things more difficult.

BTW, my thyroid levels are still considered within the normal range, although they are admittedly at the low end of that range. The specialist does not want to put me on thyroid hormone just yet because of that. I worry about having to take it anyway because I am very sensitive to all hormones. So I am not in any rush for that. My thyroid is slightly enlarged on both side but nowhere near needing to be removed. So I am just living with all of this for now.

Anyway, best of luck to you when you visit the dr. again and many ((hugs)).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

4,199 steps yesterday.

I spent several hours in front of the TV. Women's gymnastics is my favorite event of the Olympics! Having been a competitive gymnast (went to the Nationals trials) back in the age of the dinosaurs (early 70's), it just blows my mind to see the things they do now! Amazing and beautiful!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 5

I like watching the gymnastics, too.  I never did that (or any organized sports) but those tiny girls doing all those things, and knowing it must take many hours to do them so flawlessly, just amazes me.  Simone Biles in particular, is just phenomenal!

• Like 3

5,375 steps yesterday.

Kind of a lazy day. I did laundry and some cleaning up the small branches in the yard. Not much else.

The weather has changed and is finally cool with clouds and even a few showers. High temp for today is predicted to be 73°. I hope the change is enough to help get the fires under control.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

5,375 steps yesterday.

Kind of a lazy day. I did laundry and some cleaning up the small branches in the yard. Not much else.

In our race which is only in my head, I finally "beat" you.  I had 6900 steps yesterday.  You had to have a really quiet day and I had to take a long walk to do it.  Really I wish I could regularly do as many steps as you do.  

• Like 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, Absolom said:

In our race which is only in my head, I finally "beat" you.  I had 6900 steps yesterday.  You had to have a really quiet day and I had to take a long walk to do it.  Really I wish I could regularly do as many steps as you do.  

Thank you, I do what I can. When I first started counting steps, about 5 years ago I was doing a solid 20,000+ a day. Between just getting older, several bad falls, a bad back, and knees, I am where I am now.  I have learned the hard way that if I push to get a higher number, I pay the next day. Not worth it. I figure at least I am up and moving as much as possible. I post because it keeps me going and not just throwing in the towel because I can't do what I used to do.

Here's a photo from my past (around 1970) doing something else I will never ever do again... so the steps I can deal with...

E8B8934F-B2C3-4B96-A8FF-3080713C303B.jpeg.f7ba4253d5a755418969e902e6f93671.jpeg

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5

My granddaughter can't believe that once upon a time grandma played sports, danced, and did gymnastics.  Of course, she does things like ask me what my expiration date is.  She did very well when my mother died as I'd told her great-grandma was living past her sell by date so it wasn't unexpected to her.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Thank you, I do what I can. When I first started counting steps, about 5 years ago I was doing a solid 20,000+ a day. Between just getting older, several bad falls, a bad back, and knees, I am where I am now.  I have learned the hard way that if I push to get a higher number, I pay the next day. Not worth it. I figure at least I am up and moving as much as possible. I post because it keeps me going and not just throwing in the towel because I can't do what I used to do.

Here's a photo from my past (around 1970) doing something else I will never ever do again... so the steps I can deal with...

E8B8934F-B2C3-4B96-A8FF-3080713C303B.jpeg.f7ba4253d5a755418969e902e6f93671.jpeg

I could only dream of doing that.  I felt klutzy and uncoordinated, so sports of any kind weren't my thing.  I did like to swim and bicycle around the neighborhood. 

I was a bookworm, and still am.  I can still walk and ride my stationary bike, so I feel pretty good about that.  Being a septuagenarian has its limits in my case.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, precious pupp said:

I could only dream of doing that.  I felt klutzy and uncoordinated, so sports of any kind weren't my thing.  I did like to swim and bicycle around the neighborhood. 

I was a bookworm, and still am.  I can still walk and ride my stationary bike, so I feel pretty good about that.  Being a septuagenarian has its limits in my case.

Oh I hear you on that one!  I turned 75 June 3rd, that is piled on top of all the other aches and pains.

I was also a bookworm growing up. A means of hiding in my room to avoid the dysfunctional family I was a part of. 

• Like 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I have learned the hard way that if I push to get a higher number, I pay the next day. Not worth it. I figure at least I am up and moving as much as possible. I post because it keeps me going and not just throwing in the towel because I can't do what I used to do.

This was my father's philosophy and also mine because of his example. My mother had many physical and medical issues post 65 and ended up throwing in the towel, which only made things worse, caused more weight gain and hastened her end a week before her 77th birthday. I don't want to end up like that so I continue to fight despite having a lot of similar obstacles and disadvantages of my own.

I just couldn't get over going on that cruise, being careful about what I ate, doing 13,000+ steps a day and still gaining 4 lbs.! It doesn't sound like a lot to taller people, but it IS a lot when you're only 5'1.5" tall. And at my age it all goes to my stomach making me look even fatter!

Today the scale is 2 lbs. down again but I'm not breaking out the brass band because until it's a trend I won't trust it. And I need to get back down to my weight of a year ago too. I was already dealing with a stubborn 5 lbs. that I couldn't lose before the cruise. Before I knew it I was up 9 lbs. from last year. And on me that looks and feels like more than on taller people, not to mention the increase in blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. It really sucks.

What's even worse is my husband (bless his heart) couldn't resist a fantastic deal on a cruise coming up next month to Bermuda with his sister and her husband. I want to go but it will be hard again for me because of the food. Knowing that all that increased exercise won't help that much is making me feel like I have to eat nothing but rabbit food the whole time, which really sucks but that's my lot in life unfortunately.

Thanks to my genetics and peculiar thyroid issues it's an uphill battle just to stay in place. 🙁 It's no wonder my mother gave up - she had it worse than me. Her thyroid had to be removed and she didn't react well to the thyroid hormone so they couldn't give her enough to regulate her metabolism that well. Add the genetics to that and she was SCREWED. I am not that unfortunate - My thyroid has not grown that much and it looks like it's stabilized - for now anyway. And my thyroid numbers are low but not below "normal" yet so I have not been put on medication. I just pray I stay at this point because the alternative would be much worse for me I fear. I was already on natural thyroid hormone years ago (a holistic doctor thought it might be a good idea) and I couldn't even tolerate one tiny bit of it. I can't tolerate any hormones! So let's hope I don't have to be put on them again. I'm told that today there are other ways to deal with these things so I have to keep hopeful of that too.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Oh I hear you on that one!  I turned 75 June 3rd, that is piled on top of all the other aches and pains.

I was also a bookworm growing up. A means of hiding in my room to avoid the dysfunctional family I was a part of. 

I had a family like that, too.  I wanted Ward and June as parents, but my parents did the best they could.  Dad was a good provider, of which I'm thankful.

Here's a question:  do I read a lot because I'm nearsighted, or am I nearsighted because I read a lot?  

I am going on 81. I am 5' 1/2".  No matter what I do my middle gets thicker.  I began Orange Theory twice a week for the strength classes only which are very manageable.  I am 4 months in and have raised the weights considerably for me. I walk in my hilly subdivision most days for about 2.5 miles.  I am not sedentary.  we have stairs and a basement in our house.  I cook most of our meals of good basic food, little processed food.  I don't like to eat out often.  My bloodwork is due next week but all this time my thyroid has been managed well.  I think it is age and lack of hormones.  I listened to a podcast with Sally Field who is also of petite stature and she said the one thing about aging she can't get used to is her "thick middle".  

• Like 5

Oops! Forgot to post my steps!

4,259 steps yesterday.

I actually thought I had done more, but when I looked at the counter this morning I was surprised. Millie my indoor cat decided she had to sit in my lap every time I sat down and I hated to push her away too much, so I blame her...LOL!

It is supposed to be sunny and nice today, the rain cleared the air so I can spend some time outside today before the heat and smoke return.

@precious pupp I would have taken just about any other parents than mine! In my house my Mother was the provider....  Hmmm, re nearsightedness, don't know the answer to that, but I am nearsighted too!

@lookeyloo my waist is where my weight seems to be settling too. I'm 5'4" shrunk down from 5'5.5" over the years.  I do as much exercise as I can, but the middle just doesn't go away!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I listened to a podcast with Sally Field who is also of petite stature and she said the one thing about aging she can't get used to is her "thick middle".  

No disrespect to you or Sally field because I love you both, but I've looked at recent pictures of her and she must be suffering from body dysmorphia because she doesn't know what a "thick middle" is. I wish I had a middle that was "thick" like hers. 😏

spacer.png

• Like 4

5,536 steps yesterday.

Yesterday was a beautiful day so I did some tiding in the yard, lots of small branches down. My friend and her husband dropped off the replacement window for the kitty house. I think for now, the boarded up window is best, it faces West and all that sun pounding in would really make it hot in there!

This month is going to be another doctor filled month. Today the foot dr, the 9th my second hand surgery, the 13th my Medicare checkup, then around the 23rd the 2 week check up on hand.... Maybe Sept will be a dr free month???

• Like 7
16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

No disrespect to you or Sally field because I love you both, but I've looked at recent pictures of her and she must be suffering from body dysmorphia because she doesn't know what a "thick middle" is. I wish I had a middle that was "thick" like hers. 😏

spacer.png

Well we really don't know what kind of shapewear she is in and her body issues are her body issues. She looks like she needs a better bra.  Also we don't know what her body feels like to her. I keep getting told what good shape I am in. I know how I feel and what my body looks and feels like naked and how my wardrobe has had to change. 

• Like 6

That's a marvellous design and tailoring job to give an illusion of a waistline.  Most people follow the Queen Elizabeth plan and wear straight cut and sack like dresses or go to pants and shirts.  There's a reason yoga pants are so popular for over 65 year old women.  

• Like 4