Type keyword(s) to search

Songs That Make You Laugh; Songs That Make You Cry

roamyn
  • Start Topic

Perhaps because I'm a psycho but Henry Rollins Liar is one the most hilarious things I've watched in my life.  So it's interesting watching other peoples takes on it!

Not gonna lie I watched both these reaction videos and were in tears laughing seeing their reactions when Henry went full out aggression mode.  

• Like 1

When I was a kid driving home from my grandmothers on Sunday's, it like never failed my dad put on a classic rock station and this song played

Back as a kid, well the song meant spending more time at grandmas.  The drive was long as well.  There was something just dreamy about Pack Your Bags and Leave Tonight.

Ditto as a grown up.  For similar reasons facing another work week I'm feeling this song to the point I'm getting misty eyed.  

Yeah I like the song 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

This song is both funny and sad.  

The whole video and subject matter is pretty funny.  But damn this is sad because 1985 in 2004 is like what 2004 is today in 2023!  19 year difference.  And I am in many ways stuck in my ways before social media!

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I was amazed to learn from an episode of Unsung that the lead singer (Elizabeth?) was only 12 when she recorded "You Got It All."  I knew she was young, but assumed she was more like 15 or 16.  It is such a beautiful vocal.

agreed.

her voice makes that groups songs 

• Like 1

It's really not a funny song at all.

Just for whatever reason I associate this song with 2 nut cases I used to work with and crack up.

The former director of our building was a nice and easygoing guy.  But at the same time he was pretty lazy.  He'd show up at times hours late for the job if at all.  He had a good personality but poor work ethic.

Enter a regional manager who used to come to our building and site visit things.  He did not like the above mentioned manager and was not one to hold back his feelings at all.  He was pretty much a lunatic but I had to work for him though.

Anyway the above mentioned Lights song was playing one day when the 1st director left early to go to a "meeting".  Extremely frustrated the regional manager just blurted out "Yeah Meeting, He's Probably Out Having Sex with some cheap Hoe some place".  I'm pretty much dying of laughter even as I type that.  I really truly do work in a nut house/shit show.

But anyway I'm pretty sure this song was playing in the background.  I always think of those two crazy guys when I hear it for whatever reason!  

• LOL 1

Although it's of course for a James Bond movie and not at all her saddest song (I think that is "All I Ask"), "Skyfall" by Adele always saddens me.  Not long after she released it, I was listening to Soft Rock when we learned very bad and sudden medical news about my aunt (who would die a few hours later).  Right after I learned this, Adele starts singing, "This is the end.  Take a breath and count to ten."  So I'm kind of glad it's not as big as a few of her other songs, because it always causes a pit in my stomach whenever I hear it.

This is a slightly less depressing story, but the song always makes me cry nonetheless.  When I was in 7th grade, one of our cats went missing (which I had already been through with her brother, who never made it back a few years earlier).  When the clock radio came on in the morning, "Forever" by Kenny Loggins played.  Then he sang, "Once I dreamed that you were gone.  I tried and tried to find you..." and I just started bawling.  My mom came in like always to check that I wasn't going to oversleep and saw how upset I was.  She said, "Just a minute" and came back with the cat, who had just been soundly sleeping up above in the garage and hadn't heard us call her the previous night.  Even though that ended well and the cat lived many more years, I always get traumatized by that song, so I really should just skip the song when it comes up on my laptop, but I never do for some reason.

On a happier note, I don't think I've mentioned that I always laugh at Barbra Streisand's rather frantic version of "Jingle Bells."  I pretend in my head that she was late for an appointment or something so she just started singing really fast, tossing each page of music aside to get to the next one so she could get through the song as quickly as possible.  I just recently learned that the actual title of her version is "Jingle Bells?" so I guess she expected that type of confused reaction to the song.  I didn't even know until I looked it up after it came up that way on the list of songs on the laptop, as I initially thought the question mark was just a glitch or something.

• Hugs 1

Thought I'd add the description of the video from YT. The video was posted on the Queen YT channel in 2018. It's a song about Brian's childhood cat. It makes me tear up everytime I watch it. It's so cutely animated and sad at the same time...

This new video was generated for the 40 year anniversary, to the original NOTW album track, sung by Brian May. The visualisation was created by Unanico Studios (Directors Jason Jameson & Robert Milne, Producer Paul Laikin), in collaboration with Brian, and stars Brian’s childhood pet cat Pixie.

My Mom's birthday was Dec. 13th and she loved Michael McDonald. VH1 and MTV were on a lot of the time when I was little so this was one of my favorite videos/song even then. Seeing it on YT since my Mom died always makes me happy and sad at the same time. I ended up becoming a fan of his too.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 3

This has been one of my favorite music videos since I came across it on YouTube years ago. It looks even better in HD. I love how older videos can be upscaled now to where they look as good or better than when they were first introduced.

On 12/19/2023 at 9:46 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

That first guy with the moustache  looked a little like Ron Jeremy at first,lol. 

I thought he kind of looked like the guy in some of the retro Juan Valdez Colombian Coffee commercials...

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/16/2023 at 4:08 PM, BlueSkies said:

I always liked Vanessa Williams.  I wouldn't say it made me cry but I feel this one

I was looking back in this thread and saw this Vanessa Williams cover of this song. I first became aware of it because it was on Amy Grant's House of Love album.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Another great one of many from Amy Grant . Beautiful,unique voice. So many singers these days sound the same, so much help from autotune studio shenanigans.

Yep.  I am an anti social misanthrope but love listening to Amy 😁

• Like 1

This is kind of random, but part of Adele's song "When We Were Young" (even though it's a very somber song) makes me laugh.  When she says that she thought the guy she has run into had moved overseas (because that's what he said when he left her), it makes me think of the episode of Friends where Chandler pretended he was moving to Yemen to avoid Janice.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

When I was in middle school me and a friend used to jokingly call LL Cool J LL Uncool L.  I think we used to just think he tried to hard back in the day.....

But there's some songs of his I like Around The Way Girl being one of them.  This video can get me misty eyed but probably not for the reason's you'd expect.  It really really is a nostalgic piece to me:  the old NYC in the late 80's/and early 90s.  Plus I still remember my dad had a video camera like LL did on the video.  And it showed the date the recording was in it.  My Dad used to video tape some family events or vacations or even me from back in the day.  It's sad a lot of people in my family since died in those videos😥.     I think he might still have them somewhere 

Edited by BlueSkies
54 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

When I was in middle school me and a friend used to jokingly call LL Cool J LL Uncool L.  I think we used to just think he tried to hard back in the day.....

I was in middle school in the 90’s and as a white girl growing up in a predominantly African American neighborhood and school system rap was my music of choice. I had the biggest crush on LL Cool J. This was about the time Doin’ It came out and through MTV was able to catch some of his “older” hits. I still love LL. My husband thinks he looks like he should play a Ninja Turtle though. 

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mountainair said:

I was in middle school in the 90’s and as a white girl growing up in a predominantly African American neighborhood and school system rap was my music of choice. I had the biggest crush on LL Cool J. This was about the time Doin’ It came out and through MTV was able to catch some of his “older” hits. I still love LL. My husband thinks he looks like he should play a Ninja Turtle though. 

We are around the same age then.  I was in middle school when that song came out as well.....  and it went way over my head at the time 😁.

I kind of remember I think he did GAP commercials back in the day.  

Edited by BlueSkies
On 8/7/2014 at 3:29 AM, ExplainItAgain said:

Well, of course, thanks to the commercial, Angel by Sarah McLachlan makes me tear up. Fast Car from Tracy Chapman too. And The Last Song by Elton John.

Like a G6 makes me laugh. It's so dumb and so catchy.

On 12/25/2014 at 4:43 AM, Frisson said:

I agree that"Fast Car" is a sad song, but I thinkTracy Chapman's "Behind the Wall" is so hopeless that it's the one that really gets me.

Aimee Mann's "Give Up" is not a song I can hear if I'm already sad. It will push you over the edge.

I was really surprised by the audience reaction at the Grammies to a now gray-haired Tracy Chapman performing Fast Car with Luke Combs.

I got the CD, liked it enough at the time, though I chose it as one of many free CDs for joining Columbia House.

Tracy was one of many new “alternative” artists who hit big at the time.  There were some cynical takes that she got a contract because she had an alternative look but not too alternative.  Dreads weren’t as common back then and hers were short.

Song got a lot of airplay and the video too on MTV and VH1 — remember when they played music videos?

It didn’t resonate deeply with me, just mostly liked the tune and her vaguely plaintive vocals.  Never thought much about the lyrics but now see this as yearning, to change her relationship, her life, a fast car being a metaphor for making this change.

Or the singer wishing just to get on a car and start again, reset.

The reaction in the audience and online was surprising.  It was a big hit so maybe some nostalgia?

The other part of it is that Combs cover alienated people, a white male country singer expropriating?

So Tracy singing with him on stage was suppose to be a kumbaya moment?  Country music hasn’t been particularly friendly to women or people of color in recent years so Combs covering this song from a black woman, who hasn’t discussed her sexual orientation but Alice walker said they were in a relationship in the 1990s.  So the politics of alternative and country artists would seem to be diametrically opposite each other.

Or she didn’t mind the cover because it probably brought her a lot in royalties?  So she was happy to perform with him, giving her blessing to the cover, which could make it more popular and bring more royalties?

Well, of course, thanks to the commercial, Angel by Sarah McLachlan makes me tear up. Fast Car from Tracy Chapman too. And The Last Song by Elton John.

I agree that"Fast Car" is a sad song, but I thinkTracy Chapman's "Behind the Wall" is so hopeless that it's the one that really gets me.

Aimee Mann's "Give Up" is not a song I can hear if I'm already sad. It will push you over the edge.

I was really surprised by the audience reaction at the Grammies to a now gray-haired Tracy Chapman performing Fast Car with Luke Combs.

I got the CD, liked it enough at the time, though I chose it as one of many free CDs for joining Columbia House.

Tracy was one of many new “alternative” artists who hit big at the time.  There were some cynical takes that she got a contract because she had an alternative look but not too alternative.  Dreads weren’t as common back then and hers were short.

Song got a lot of airplay and the video too on MTV and VH1 — remember when they played music videos?

It didn’t resonate deeply with me, just mostly liked the tune and her vaguely plaintive vocals.  Never thought much about the lyrics but now see this as yearning, to change her relationship, her life, a fast car being a metaphor for making this change.

The reaction in the audience and online was surprising.  It was a big hit so maybe some nostalgia?

The other part of it is that Combs cover alienated people, a white male country singer expropriating?

So Tracy singing with him on stage was suppose to be a kumbaya moment?  Country music hasn’t been particularly friendly to women or people of color in recent years so Combs covering this song from a black woman, who hasn’t discussed her sexual orientation but Alice walker said they were in a relationship in the 1990s.  So the politics of alternative and country artists would seem to be diametrically opposite each other.

Or she didn’t mind the cover because it probably brought her a lot in royalties?  So she was happy to perform with him, giving her blessing to the cover, which could make it more popular and bring more royalties?

• Like 1

This is my favorite Beastie Boys video. The bad wigs and fake facial hair just about all of them sport throughout still makes me laugh. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
38 minutes ago, Jaded said:

This is my favorite Beastie Boys video. The bad wigs and fake facial hair just about all of them sport throughout still makes me laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I'm pretty sure I never knew he sang that song. I do remember it from the early 90's though. I looked up the lyrics just now and saw the news of him saying "Never Gonna Give You Up" was a shitty song which has resulted making people angry online...

• Like 1