Type keyword(s) to search

Songs That Make You Laugh; Songs That Make You Cry

roamyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/12/2020 at 6:23 PM, Kjharrison said:

Re: Johnny Cash’s “The Hurt”

I do agree that this one is a tearjerker, but I’m hoping you do realize this is a cover of this song “Hurt” by Nine Inch Nails. 

I knew that but IMO Mr. Cash knocked it out of the ballpark to an entirely different level  in much the same  way that    the legendary Miss Lena Horne did 'It's Not Easy Being Green' despite it having been originally Kermit the Frog's song! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
On 7/4/2020 at 4:37 PM, KWalkerInc said:

A song that makes me laugh is "Tramp" by Otis Redding and Carla Thomas.  Throughout the song, she is dismissing him as being "country" and claiming he has no money no matter what he says in response.  I like the part at the end when she scoffs that he can't buy her a mink and he says, "I can buy you mink, rat, frog, squirrel, rabbit, anything you like!"

A friend and I both love this song. Once, when she was living with another friend of ours, I was over hanging out with that friend, when the first friend came out of her room to go out somewhere and she was wearing overalls, and we were all commenting on her outfit.  It wasn't until after she left that I realized I should have yelled "Tramp." I have regretted it ever since.

• Love 1

I get very sad every time over the end of "Who Would Imagine a King?" by Whitney Houston because you can hear Bobbi Kristina (who would have been two or three) cry out, "Mommy!"  When Bobbi Kristina was older, she sang with her mom on "Little Drummer Boy" and that too is depressing, but at least it sounds like they were having fun while recording the song.

A Christmas song that makes me laugh is "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" by John Denver & The Muppets, because of this exchange:

All: (singing)  "Bring us some figgy pudding..."

Miss Piggy:  "Piggy pudding?!!"

Gonzo:  "Figgy pudding.  It's made from figs."

Miss Piggy:  "Oh.  Sorry!"

Gonzo:  (quietly) "And bacon."

Miss Piggy:  "What?!"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, KWalkerInc said:

A Christmas song that makes me laugh is "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" by John Denver & The Muppets, because of this exchange:

All: (singing)  "Bring us some figgy pudding..."

Miss Piggy:  "Piggy pudding?!!"

Gonzo:  "Figgy pudding.  It's made from figs."

Miss Piggy:  "Oh.  Sorry!"

Gonzo:  (quietly) "And bacon."

Miss Piggy:  "What?!"

Oh, god, I remember this. One of my relatives had this CD and I remember visiting them when I was little and listening to this. 

• Love 2

This is an odd one, but in "Move Over" by the Spice Girls (their Pepsi commercial song), there is a part where the ladies take turns yelling out things that rhyme.  The way Melanie C says, "Recreation!" always makes me laugh, and I do not know why.  Another recording of theirs that makes me laugh is "Spice Invaders," a B-side, but it isn't really a song.  It's mostly them saying wacky things and joking around while music plays in the background.

A song that always cheers me up is "Look What I Found" by Lady Gaga, even though it comes from the soundtrack of a not-so-cheerful movie in A Star Is Born.  It has lyrics that show the more hopeful side of the couple's situation.

• Love 2

Songs don't make me cry, but they do make me feel sad, or introspective, or warm and gooey inside.

Tangled Up in You - Staind - My husband told me that this song was how he felt about me, so yeah, warm and gooey every time I hear it.

No Peace in Quiet - Delta Rae - I heard this right after my youngest son left for boot camp and even though it was written from former boyfriend to former girlfriend, it really hit home as a mother whose last child has left the nest.

As to songs that make me laugh/smile:

Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves, Butterflies and Airplanes by the Clarks, French Canadian Guy by Paulsen & Krenn, She-Bop by Cyndi Lauper and more that I'm sure I'm forgetting

• Love 3
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Love that song. The original with Staind, not the countrified version that Aaron Lewis did for his country stuff.

I can listen to the countrified version, but I much prefer the original.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

These songs are fairly recent, but I still do want to share:

Rise Up by Andra Day will always make the tears flow. Just such an inspirational song all around.

Another one that I love is This Is the Future by Owl City. Such great lyrics! Dear God! Even though it's short it still manages to be amazing!

Just now, Annber03 said:

Her song "Beautiful" always gets to me a bit, too. I imagine quite a few girls can relate to the lyrics in that song. 

The video's really powerful, too. 

Absolutely! That's probably my second favorite after Hurt, either "Beautiful" or "Reflection."

• Like 1
  • Love 2

"Holding Back the Years" makes me sad, particularly the part that goes, "Nothing had the chance to be good / Nothing ever could."  However, in the Angie Stone version where the song goes on for a while, she keeps repeating the "I'll keep holding on" part, showing her determination to not give up.  This inspires me and makes me feel a little less depressed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Kimberley Locke (season 2 American Idol third-place finisher) has a very sad song on her latest Christmas album called "Christmas Without You," which talks about trying to celebrate and enjoy the holidays even after the loss of a loved one.  She co-wrote the song, and I know her mother had cancer for a while, so I wonder if she passed away.  The song really struck a chord with me.

Another sad song is Patti LaBelle's version of "Every Year, Every Christmas."  The original, about waiting in the same place at Christmas for a love that probably won't return, is sad enough, and this version is sung as a tribute to her good friend Luther Vandross.  I always tear up at the end when she somberly wishes everyone a Merry Christmas before saying, "Mr.  Luther Vandross, we love you."

A song that makes me laugh every time is Justin Bieber and Usher's version of "The Christmas Song."  The song goes along fine until towards the end, when Justin suddenly sings, "Merry Cwis-ma, yee-ah!"  He's never had any trouble pronouncing "Christmas" in this or any other song, so I don't know what he was doing, but it cracks me up.

• Love 2

This song got to me at times to produce some tears.  When I was a kid I was a big Curious George fan.  But life in general at times has damaged my spirit.  But this song always reminds me of wide eyed optimism and adventure and innocence 

• Like 2

Another good tear jerker.  Heart of Motion was a good album.  She had many good songs I could have included in the 90's list of favs.

On another note in the opposite direction Henry Rollins song Liar never fails to amuse me and make me laugh with how angry and pissed he gets while singing it.  Plus the lyrics are very truthful! 

• Love 3
On 10/15/2021 at 6:33 AM, KWalkerInc said:

"Holding Back the Years" makes me sad, particularly the part that goes, "Nothing had the chance to be good / Nothing ever could."  However, in the Angie Stone version where the song goes on for a while, she keeps repeating the "I'll keep holding on" part, showing her determination to not give up.  This inspires me and makes me feel a little less depressed.

I agree it's a beautifully haunting song.  Video is sad as well.  Especially the part "I keep holding on" to me.  The way its sung it sounds like a person whose been beaten down with every fiber of his being but still goes on

• Like 4

A song that has always made me smile no matter what mood I’m in is Call Me Al by Paul Simon…just love it…it doesn’t hurt that I loved the video for it and always remember it when I hear the song

My personal tear jerker is and will always be I’m Kissing You by Des’ree.  For some reason every time I hear it, I think of my niece who died over 18 years ago and I just start crying every time.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

A song that has always made me smile no matter what mood I’m in is Call Me Al by Paul Simon…just love it…it doesn’t hurt that I loved the video for it and always remember it when I hear the song

I like that song, too. I remember hearing it all the time when I was little, so it just brings back happy childhood memories for me :). 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I like that song, too. I remember hearing it all the time when I was little, so it just brings back happy childhood memories for me :). 

Same.  It makes me think of waffles and Sunday mornings with my dad and my childhood friends.  ❤️❤️ Smiling now, just thinking about it.  

Another song that makes me smile and takes the gross out of Blurred Lines is this 

• Like 3

That is such a haunting video. Something about the starkness of that huge white text against the black background...always sends a bit of a chill down my spine. 

And then to see how long those kids have been missing...

• Like 2
11 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

The hairstyles here are something else!  But it's a good song

I remember that song. It was a follow up to the song I much prefer from this band, "Tell Me What You Dream" from 1992. I think it was the one big pop/country crossover hit they had, unless "When She Cries" did chart.

• Useful 1