Type keyword(s) to search

Taskmaster (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Season 10 Finale - Weirdly genuinely emotional? Katherine Parkinson has been so delightfully daft, so much so that I was genuinely relieved a couple of episodes ago when she revealed that she's never had a driver's license. 

Johnny has really had the pathos up in the past few episodes. I understand that's his thing.

And the ending was genuinely riveting.

Spoiler

Daisy wanted it so much, and was so angry when her bridge collapsed. I don't know if anyone displayed disappointment so visibly before.

The Karaoke team task was weirdly competentish. The clothes hanging task thankfully simple compared to some others this season and resulted in great physical comedy.

Yeah, a lot of this season's tasks were too complicated or fiddly for the players to really do anything super innovative. There were a few really good ones (the tree bagger, the water barrels) but most were pretty mediocre and... like, I'm willing to be lenient on how like six of the stage tasks amounted to "draw/mime this thing" because of the social distancing requirements, but they filmed most of the tasks at the house without any restrictions, so it can't really be used as an excuse.

I still don’t really understand what that remote control task with robots, an office chair, and chickens you had to swap was about. 

The New Zealand version is refreshing in that the tasks are pitched just right in terms of level of difficult and immediate understandability. You just get it immediately. 

6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I still don’t really understand what that remote control task with robots, an office chair, and chickens you had to swap was about. 

The New Zealand version is refreshing in that the tasks are pitched just right in terms of level of difficult and immediate understandability. You just get it immediately. 

I *think* the idea with that task was that the course was set up so that you could either do the long, time-consuming, annoying way around, or you could simply ignore it all and use the open patch of ground on the other side of the two finish lines, but none of these contestants was smart enough to work that out.

That was a problem for most of the season, actually - they were okay at being fairly entertaining (though I still think it's one of the worst seasons) but aside from that Mawaan was really the only one who seemed familiar enough with the show to try and exploit the ambiguous wording/setups of the tasks.

Plus there's been the added hurdle of the NZ version doing the same thing better at the same time (mostly; Jeremy seems to have been chosen for being attractive than because he'd be good in the role), which hasn't helped.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:32 PM, SnideAsides said:

I still think it's one of the worst seasons

As I said previously, I actually think this was one of the BEST seasons.  I can definitely see the point of view that the tasking fell down badly, but the personalities and comedy from the mix of them worked far beyond my initial expectations. So I guess it's a matter of which you prioritize. 

Ideally both the tasking AND personalities would be great in the same seasons, although I think there's a good argument that bungling, frustration, and even CONFUSION can be funny. Failure can be funny. Greg getting frustrated can be funny. Alex acting stonefaced at how wrong it all is can be funny.  Again, it's just a matter of taste, I guess. 

I thought she was going to get disqualified because her cutting half of the doughnut off to make the hole bigger would have violated the "don't break the doughnut" rule.

Very fun episode. I can't stand Rylan and wouldn't want a full season of him but the other four would all be great.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, Corgi-ears said:

I thought Shirley was going to get twist-disqualified since they never showed her actually passing the thick, girthy pipe completely through the donut (much as Nicola's cactus was...just the tip).

I think we're supposed to conclude she finished the transit when she was done playing with the donut. 

I've said it before, but Sarah Kendall is a dead ringer for Jason Segel. 

The correct ranking in the prize task should have been Sarah's fridge < Charlotte's bedding < Jamali's hot potato < Lee's children < Mike's tune.

The episode's editing was brilliant, but what else is new. Sometimes they show what was going on under the table (because it was hilarious), and sometimes they don't, to better preserve the surprise of what emerged. I have no idea how Sarah didn't poke out Alex's eyes.

And having people grin maniacally while looking straight at the camera -- otherwise known as the Joe Lycett memorial -- will never not be funny.

Edited by Corgi-ears
On 3/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, Ceindreadh said:

https://www.taskmaster.tv/podcast

There's an official Taskmaster podcast hosted by Ed Gamble, which I presume is going to feature season 11 as well. 

Given that they conveniently just finished going back over Series 2, I would presume that that is the plan. 

It'll likely be the same as how they did the podcast for Series 10, with the podcast episodes coming out soon after the tv episodes complete their closing credits.

On 3/17/2021 at 6:11 PM, Fukui San said:

1 Day to go! I expect to see the episodes on YouTube shortly after the UK viewings every week.

So far, no.  But I caught it on Dailymotion. 

Haven't made a judgement on this cast yet, other than that Lee Mack is clearly struggling to see how many shits he gives, and isn't fully decided by this point of the broadcast yet. Then again, the appearance of not giving a shit is actually normally part of his comedy, so that complicates things.  It's strange.  He'll do something visual, like a Superhero costume, which argues he's into this, while it's mostly his demeanor that's all "whatever".  But he DID argue for points at several points. 

That strange little man in the suit, with the mustache, is hilarious. I'm certain I recall him from a few episodes of 8 Out of 10 Cats, and he was hilarious then too.  And yes, he appears to be named almost the same as Billy Crystal's eyeball guy in Monsters, Inc.  Or am I misrembering that? 

Too early on the rest, except to say Jamali Maddix definitely gets credit for viscous competitiveness, especially in the last task.  I appreciate that in a TM contestant. 

Edited by Kromm

Charlotte got screwed three times for scoring. Her bedding shouldn’t have been last, she shouldn’t be the only one dq’ed for the rat trap. Others were within 3M. And putting a bucket on her head may have worked if Greg were in a different mood. 

Of course, Jamali should have gotten more for his cushion spinning, and Lee’s sandwich less. 

I had a hard time thinking of something I’d try for the one hand task. Dribbling a basketball is what I settled on, but that’s not even that impressive. If you knew sign language maybe you could spell a message. 

Strong start I thought. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Charlotte got screwed three times for scoring. Her bedding shouldn’t have been last, she shouldn’t be the only one dq’ed for the rat trap. Others were within 3M. And putting a bucket on her head may have worked if Greg were in a different mood. 

Of course, Jamali should have gotten more for his cushion spinning, and Lee’s sandwich less. 

I had a hard time thinking of something I’d try for the one hand task. Dribbling a basketball is what I settled on, but that’s not even that impressive. If you knew sign language maybe you could spell a message. 

Strong start I thought. 

Not that Greg is ever consistent (it's not the point of the thing--the show intentionally IS often about him being totally arbitrary) but I do agree if this was a show with actual non-arbitrary judging, this episode had a few scoring quirks. 

Certainly that cushion spinning was the hardest and best executed thing.  Humiliating Alex, albeit messily, is the only thing possibly more impactful, because humiliating Alex always is. 

The sandwich thing was FUNNY, but it wasn't intended to be. It was a 1 pointer if I ever saw one. 

The bedding was dead boring, but was probably a middling score rather than the worst. Greg was prioritising carrying out HIS joke about scoring, which is fine because his moods or antics is at least a quarter of the reason the show works, but let's just acknowledge it. 

I agree on the other two times you say she got screwed. Again, I can't be too mad about it on THIS show, but did see them. 

Ep 2 of Series 11 in no way changed my opinion that Mike Wozniak is a very strange man.  Especially his haunted split in half thing. 

In contrast, Lee Mack's haunted caravan was total shite. 

5 hours ago, Kromm said:

Ep 2 of Series 11 in no way changed my opinion that Mike Wozniak is a very strange man.  Especially his haunted split in half thing. 

In contrast, Lee Mack's haunted caravan was total shite. 

Agreed. 
I think that Charlotte should have been scored better on hers. Although maybe if she hadn’t revealed herself at the end she might done better. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Welp, washing my towels today.

It's a pity the team task wasn't done last season. Arguing with your partner using an assortment of four letter words would be right up Daisy May's alley.

Edited by Fukui San
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Welp, washing my towels today.

It's a pity the team task wasn't done last season. Arguing with your partner using an assortment of four letter words would be right up Daisy May's alley.

Not really.  She reuses the same three or four of them endlessly. 

Previous episodes this series have featured some Greg fuckery.  I'd argue Episode 3 had some Alex fuckery.

For example, he totally fucked over Charlotte in the airport task. 

(edited)

If you're asked to devise a new system for remembering how many days each month has, is it in the spirit of the task to just create something tangible that you can look at (a...broken clock), or listen to (a voicemail)? If that's the case, why not just scribble a note, or, I dunno, give Greg/Alex an actual FUCKING CALENDAR? Surely the task should be about -- which is to say, surely Greg should reward -- those who created some sort of non-visible mnemonic? To give Lee only 1 point and Mike 2: madness! This gripe isn't even about Greg being "subjective" in his scoring, it just seemed like he didn't understand the task.

Edited by Corgi-ears

I really like this show for its ingenuity and creativity. I like Greg and Alex. Having said that, my enjoyment of every season has been very dependent on the contestants. Generally, I enjoyed the earlier seasons better. I feel like series 11 has had one of the best starts in awhile because I adore almost every one of the contestants. I loved Lee Mack before this. It's been a revelation to discover Mike Wozniack. Mike is one of the weirdest people on this show. It's been awhile since I loved a contestant so much. Of course, I could get tired of this season like I did last season, but I'm doubtful about that now.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Athena said:

It's been a revelation to discover Mike Wozniack. Mike is one of the weirdest people on this show. It's been awhile since I loved a contestant so much.

He's got a bizarre, hilarious energy. Bland man in a suit disguising deep weirdness. 

I learned that Mike Wozniak used to be a doctor before switching into comedy, which leaves open the possibility that someone turned on their telly only to see their old internest or whatever gleefully talking about popping a hemorroid on TV.

• LOL 1

Jamali using the phone for the metronome task brilliantly implies that they've had the chance to use it all throughout the show's history and there must be many times it would have been useful.

I've loved this season way more than the last few, but Sarah making Alex perform an interpretive song and dance about the division of the Koreas (and Alex's reaction when she said it) might be my favourite Taskmaster moment ever.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:28 AM, Fukui San said:

Jamali using the phone for the metronome task brilliantly implies that they've had the chance to use it all throughout the show's history and there must be many times it would have been useful.

Maybe not. Greg being arbitrary is part of the formula.  He was rewarding Jamali for being original. Which means in the future, since it will no longer be original, he'd feel free to scorn and dismiss it. 

Seth Meyers name checked Taskmaster in his May 19th A Closer Look, but it must be one of his writers watching it, since he called it "Taskmasters" (while the graphic said otherwise). 

Screenshot-20210519-215511.jpg

7 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Victoria Coren Mitchell being in season 12 is the most excited a cast announcement has made me in a LONG time.

I never know anything about contestants before they appear on the show since I’m not a Brit. But folks seem stoked for her and Alan Davies. 

Mike’s prize task will live in in Taskmaster history. Great episode for the finale. 

10 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Victoria Coren Mitchell being in season 12 is the most excited a cast announcement has made me in a LONG time.

It's a huge missed opportunity not having David on the same series though. 

2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Mike’s prize task will live in in Taskmaster history. Great episode for the finale. 

Everything Wozniak did last episode (heck, most of the series) was legendary. 

He didn't win the game but..  he kind of won the series nonetheless. 

I hope this is a huge boost to his career.  He's an odd little man, but a wonderfully entertaining odd little man. 

• Love 1
On 5/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, Kromm said:

It's a huge missed opportunity not having David on the same series though. 

They would have to edit hours and hours of arguments about the wording of specific tasks (as Lee Mack pointed out in the podcast). But he's hosting a new show with a TM adjacent/inspired concept:

Outsiders (6×60’) – David Mitchell challenges a returning cast of three pairs of comedians to prove they’ve got the mettle and skills to thrive in the great outdoors. The competing comedians will beEd Gamble, Jamali Maddix, Jessica Knappett, Kerry Godliman, Lou Sanders and Toussaint Douglass. Produced by Renegade Pictures.

I'm late, but I've been binging the show on YouTube and I'm almost all caught up. I feel bad about Aisling in Series 5 -- she just seemed to have such a rough time, and part of me was like, "That's me if I were ever on this show. Not understanding the task, cutting my hand, and getting awkward sympathy sounds from the audience."

The reason I came here, though, is that I'm curious as to whether anyone else thought Series 11 had a different tone? One thing I like about the show is that it seems pretty laid back and good natured, but 11 felt more hostile to me. There was one point where Sarah said sarcastically, "This is not demeaning at all," and I kind of felt like this season was more demeaning than most of the previous ones, just watching them back to back. But I'm also rushing through everything, so I'm curious about what other people thought.

7 hours ago, SourK said:

I'm late, but I've been binging the show on YouTube and I'm almost all caught up. I feel bad about Aisling in Series 5 -- she just seemed to have such a rough time, and part of me was like, "That's me if I were ever on this show. Not understanding the task, cutting my hand, and getting awkward sympathy sounds from the audience."

The reason I came here, though, is that I'm curious as to whether anyone else thought Series 11 had a different tone? One thing I like about the show is that it seems pretty laid back and good natured, but 11 felt more hostile to me. There was one point where Sarah said sarcastically, "This is not demeaning at all," and I kind of felt like this season was more demeaning than most of the previous ones, just watching them back to back. But I'm also rushing through everything, so I'm curious about what other people thought.

I really liked Aisling Bea and did not think she had a rough time and was enjoying herself - but it's been a while. I agree that both pandemic seasons felt a bit off to me - season 10 even more so, there were several issues that I think showed somewhat frazzled nerves. 

And it's back and on YT!!! I've hardly ever loved a group of new contestants so fast. I knew Alan Davies and Victoria Corren Mitchell (I'm going to fanwank that she played lots of darts with Lee Mack) and I've seen Guz Khan once on WILTY. Morgana is giving off sexy bosh vibes and I was so impressed with Desiree wielding the slingshot and then even more impressed with her willingness to go full mayhem LOL!

15 hours ago, Fukui San said:

By the way, if you want more then look for the recently completed season 2 of Taskmaster New Zealand. It was an all timer.

It really was. Laura’s “best stolen thing” and David’s rap were all time definitely great. Actually most things David did were amazing!

Season 12 is off to a flyer. I love VCM so much and it’s already clear she’s going to crash and burn but in a completely enjoyable way. I’m also enjoying the vibe between all the contestants this year. I get the impression they actually got on quite well. 

Edited by dippydee

Taskmaster New Zealand Season 2 was virtually perfect. Except that host/Taskmaster. He's horrible.  Somehow the show succeeded incredibly DESPITE him.  

On 9/24/2021 at 2:48 AM, Fukui San said:

Promising beginning for Series 12. I like all of the contestants, good tasks.  

The only one I knew nothing about was Morgana.  But she's brilliant.  Very entertaining.

13 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

Except that host/Taskmaster. He's horrible.  Somehow the show succeeded incredibly DESPITE him.  

Seriously. I don't understand why they picked someone who has no discernible sense of humor for a comedy show. And Jeremy was already better in Season 2, by which I mean he cracked one joke in ten episodes.

• LOL 1