Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05:The Phantom Of Ramsey Street

I enjoyed last night's episode. It was set in my state of NC, so, it held particular interest for me.  I recall when Fayetteville PD was looking for this serial rapists.  I'm so glad that he was captured. 

I was also inspired by the detective who spearheaded moving forward with the cold cases.  He sure was enthusiastic. 

I wish the show got more attention.  Based on the posts here, it seems to have little interest.  However, based on her public appearances, CeCe seems to be somewhat of a rock star in the private criminal investigation community. 

• Love 3

Man, I love seeing these guys getting busted!  Anyone know how it's doing in the ratings?

I uploaded my DNA to GedMatch last year.  They have all kinds of fun things you can choose from, like predicting your eye color and listing all the colors that blend together, complete with a representative photo.  They were spot-on.

• Love 3

I like the whole concept oof the show but sometimes it comes across more of a commercial for CeCe personally than about the actual work.  Every show there is a 5-10 minutes "look at my life" feature.  Then of course there is the continually patting herself on the back about how great she is.  And strangely enough every show has multiple gratiutous shots of her feet.  I suspect most of that is filler because there really isn't enough content to fill an out the time frame

The mysteries are interesting but there is too much stuff not really relating to that.  If they tighten up the show it would be better. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, rhys said:

I may have missed it but did they confirm the rapist had hazel eyes?

Yes. The first suspect had blue eyes but it turned out that he was adopted. When they did the second genealogy chart, the suspect they found had hazel eyes.

The chart puzzled me because every pair of parents had one boy and one girl offspring.  There is NO WAY that everyone through 3 generations has 2 children, one boy and one girl.

• Love 1
(edited)

it comes across more of a commercial for CeCe personally than about the actual work. 

The storyline for each and every show is 

1- DNA from horrific cold case goes to Parabon,

2- CeCe does her genetic investigation and (after a hiccup or two) finds perp

3- law enforcement confirms DNA and arrests perp

4 -victims or victim's families talk about how they had closure

So, I can see where they are going to need some kind of filler.   Does anyone know how many episodes there are?  It has got to be limited by the cases that CeCe worked on.

Edited by Mermaid Under
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

The storyline for each and every show is 

1- DNA from horrific cold case goes to Parabon,

2- CeCe does her genetic investigation and (after a hiccup or two) finds perp

3- law enforcement confirms DNA and arrests perp

4 -victims or victim's families talk about how they had closure

So, I can see where they are going to need some kind of filler.   Does anyone know how many episodes there are?  It has got to be limited by the cases that CeCe worked on.

The show would work better as a 30 minute show or perhaps have 2 mysteries per episode but she may not have filmed material to double up.  They could come up with more interesting filler other than what pair of shoes she has on that day.  Too many scenes add nothing to the show  and drag down what is interesting.
Genetic genealogy is not TV friendly.  Like with this episode their are privcacy issues with the research that can't be shown.  And the actual research doesn't translate to TV so what we see is her going from A to Z with B through Y being glossed over.

Edited by pally
  • Love 3
On 6/24/2020 at 4:54 PM, pally said:

And strangely enough every show has multiple gratiutous shots of her feet. 

I noticed that too. Either the director has a foot fetish or they're trying to emphasize the casual nature of her work?  Thing is, she isn't dressed casually except for the bare feet. Those hair extensions must take an hour at least.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I like all the content, but, I'm really into stuff like that.  What I noticed is that CeCe must be very short.  

I would be a little apprehensive to make my work so well known though, because, there are whack-a-doodles out there and they could take offense that you helped convict their family member and come after you.  

I haven't checked the ratings, but, it doesn't seem to be that popular of a show. Hope I'm wrong.  I'd like to see more. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I did our family tree last year through Ancestry.com and got obsessed for a while.  I was able to get back to 1705 in Ireland then hit a brick wall.  Found a lot interesting things my mom never mentioned. lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Am I the only person who sees this lady as a wrongful conviction waiting to happen? Bite marks, lie detectors, hair, ballistics, all sounded great at one time or another. 

Every time she talks about not having a degree, and every time the company she works for is pitching for business, it’s a reminder that her work cannot be checked or validated, which means it’s not science. 

Her company will be fine as long as people confess and plead out, I guess, but I was super uncomfortable with her talking in hypotheticals, and then they named the guy (who is still innocent until proven guilty).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/30/2020 at 2:13 AM, p-chaff said:

Am I the only person who sees this lady as a wrongful conviction waiting to happen? Bite marks, lie detectors, hair, ballistics, all sounded great at one time or another. 

Every time she talks about not having a degree, and every time the company she works for is pitching for business, it’s a reminder that her work cannot be checked or validated, which means it’s not science. 

Her company will be fine as long as people confess and plead out, I guess, but I was super uncomfortable with her talking in hypotheticals, and then they named the guy (who is still innocent until proven guilty).

Wrongful conviction in what sense? In all the episodes that have aired so far, I'm seeing the police using DNA for their arrests and convictions. The police are first given a potential suspect based on Cece's genealogy work but that's not sufficient for an actual arrest or conviction as the show has pointed out.  The police still have to go out and get another DNA sample from the suspect identified by Cece in order to match it with the original DNA found at the scene of the crime.  To me it's the matching of the DNA that allows them to build a case for a conviction.  

Edited by Thomas Crown
correcting auto spell
  • Love 15
On 6/30/2020 at 1:26 PM, Thomas Crown said:

Wrongful conviction in what sense? In all the episodes that have aired so far, I'm seeing the police using DNA for their arrests and convictions. The police are first given a potential suspect based on Cece's genealogy work but that's not sufficient for an actual arrest or conviction as the show has pointed out.  The police still have to go out and get another DNA sample from the suspect identified by Cece in order to match it with the original DNA found at the scene of the crime.  To me it's the matching of the DNA that allows them to build a case for a conviction.  

It’s fair game to ask the police at any trial why they focused on one suspect to the exclusion of others. Juries might be very susceptible to Cece’s claim she’s doing science and find her work to be a compelling reason to ignore other suspects. Further, the police are providing the crime scene sample DNA, which can be tainted. Essentially, they can use Cece to conceal/legitimize a frame job.

• Love 1
On 7/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, p-chaff said:

It’s fair game to ask the police at any trial why they focused on one suspect to the exclusion of others. Juries might be very susceptible to Cece’s claim she’s doing science and find her work to be a compelling reason to ignore other suspects. Further, the police are providing the crime scene sample DNA, which can be tainted. Essentially, they can use Cece to conceal/legitimize a frame job.

Ignore other suspects? They're cold cases dating back to as much as 30 years with no recent clues or suspects. By the time Cece got involved you can see that all potential avenues for finding the criminals and solving the crime had been explored by the police.  All those cases were thought to be unsolved until Cece got involved.  Cece's work is just to provide the police with a new lead (suspect) on these cold cases.  Nothing else.  The police to do the rest which is to go out and investigate the potential new suspect.  

What other suspects are you referring too? And why would the police continue to search for suspects when they have a DNA match? In some of the episodes that have aired, the original DNA for the matches was extracted directly from a rape kit.  

Frame job by the police?  Tainted DNA? That's quite the reach there and nothing to do with Cece's work.  

• Love 12
On 6/25/2020 at 3:08 PM, pally said:

The show would work better as a 30 minute show or perhaps have 2 mysteries per episode but she may not have filmed material to double up.  They could come up with more interesting filler other than what pair of shoes she has on that day.  Too many scenes add nothing to the show  and drag down what is interesting.

I just found this show when ID channel picked it up, and I've seen 2 or 3 now.
I really agree with Pally's comment.  There is a lot of filler, and we don't need all the background every week, so a half-hour show, or 2 murders per, would work well.

• Love 2