Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Maria and the Beast

AIRING JUN 7 / 20

Molly visits Tiago at his apartment; Dottie and Lewis confront Brian; Elsa and Frank move in with the Crafts; Alex and Townsend discuss how to defeat Councilwoman Beck; Lewis enlists Tiago to join his covert operations; Maria summons Santa Muerte.

That was a lot!!!

Working somewhat backwards-

I don’t think Molly has anything to do with the Nazi meeting, she was actually at bible study with Josefina and the others. 

I knew Maria was going to have a confrontation with Magda sooner or later, but she has Elsa PEGGED. I knew the hamster was done for the second it appeared on screen. 

Lewis protecting the college student- I don’t think that young man is long for this world. 

You think we are going to get a season 2? I’m really enjoying it. 

• Love 6

If they have a second season, Nathan Lane better be in it.

I don think everyone will survive this season.

And I still don't  see why Magda is going to such great lengths to corrupt the Dr and his family. He was already a Nazi. Is it all to screw with Maria?

Unless the L.A. chapter of Hitler Youth  has a lot of proficient assassins, casually dropping death threats on Kurt might not work out for Goss.

Lewis should put Brian in a Mob safehouse.

• Love 1

The kid should have named the hamster Chekhov instead of Friar Puck.

Lewis is rightfully bemoaning the murder of his two friends by the goon, but, to be honest, they got themselves into it by following his car bumper to bumper up a narrow, deserted canyon road.  Sorry guys.

Elsa is just evil.  Kick the housekeeper out, and then insist that the kids speak German.

• Love 1

Yes I, too, was a-feared for the hamster the instant I saw it. What a creepy, creepy little kid . . . or whatever it is.

I have a hard time believing a house that large wouldn't have enough upstairs bedrooms. It's huge, judging by the exterior shots of it. Dr. Craft must have one hell of a successful pediatrics practice. I would guess there are no fewer than six upstairs bedrooms, plenty to go around. That said, I'm not sure why the housekeeper would ever have an upstairs bedroom in the first place, especially if she doesn't usually spend the night there.

Santa Muerte is always so hostile to Maria it makes me wonder why she keeps showing up every time she's summoned. Has she no choice in the matter? I get that Maria is too "pure" or whatever to be tempted by her sister, but why continue to worship a saint that's always so snide to you?

• Love 3

That was a whole lot in one episode! Glad that so many plot threads are coming together (Tiego getting involved with Lewis's investigation into the Nazis, Maria confronting Magda while Elsa keeps making moves with the doctor, sister Molly's mom is in bed with the Nazis) and we are moving forward even faster, even if I still have no clue where this is going exactly. 

I knew as soon as Tommy introduced that hamster, I knew the poor thing was not long for this world. As much as he is trying to be nice to that creepy little...whatever he is, Tommy, being the brains of the family, has clearly caught on to the fact that these people are super freaking creepy. 

I dont think Molly has anything to do with what her mom is up to with the Nazis, or even has any idea what she is up to with them, I dont think her mom lets her know much about the day to day goings on of managing the church. 

To be fair Mateo, you could talk to your family, just you dont want to talk to them right now. The murder charges are clear, so technically you could go back, just you told your mom you dont want to talk to her. 

I really hope the councilwoman makes it out alive, I really like her. "And a little rouge wont hurt either." I like to think that thats the part that really pissed Madga off the most. 

I feel like Maria is going to be the one who ends up defeating Madga by the end of this, or finally inspires her sister to really deal with her. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

That said, I'm not sure why the housekeeper would ever have an upstairs bedroom in the first place, especially if she doesn't usually spend the night there.

The wife is an alcoholic, I believe Dr Kraft had Maria spend the night if he had night call responsibilities and he didn’t think his wife would be sober enough to care for the kids.   Also if he and his wife ever left town she would stay to care for the boys. Her having a room in the house that she would use for those occasions made sense to me, but I agree with you that the house had plenty of bedrooms for all the kids to have one and Maria in the main house. 

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I really hope the councilwoman makes it out alive, I really like her. "And a little rouge wont hurt either." I like to think that thats the part that really pissed Madga off the most. 

I was worried the Council Woman wasn’t long for this world the first time she crossed Whats his face. This woman has to be damn brilliant to have a spot on the city council in the 1930s, she was probably a political pioneer the last two decades she’s been doing this (at least she’s not a young woman). And she’s smart enough to know something is up with this brilliant assistant that just popped out of thin air (yeah she’s a DEMON). No doubt she’s made some enemies but most don’t resort to thinking about murder. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

This woman has to be damn brilliant to have a spot on the city council in the 1930s,...

That piqued my interest, so I looked it up.  The first woman elected to the LA City Council, Estelle Lindsey, won her seat in 1915.  There were no districts then, and elections were city-wide until 1925.  However, the next woman elected to the Council was not until 1953.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I was worried the Council Woman wasn’t long for this world the first time she crossed Whats his face. This woman has to be damn brilliant to have a spot on the city council in the 1930s,

She is probably rich like Townsend and has dirt on the Mayor and other officials to get all her motions passed.

• Love 2

Josefina seems smart, but she needs to put 2 & 2 together.

• Cop gropes her
  • Baby brother disappears
  • Same cop ends up dead 24-48 hours later
  •  Baby brother reappears - desperately wanting to confess
  • Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, edhopper said:

If they have a second season, Nathan Lane better be in it.

I don think everyone will survive this season.

And I still don't  see why Magda is going to such great lengths to corrupt the Dr and his family. He was already a Nazi. Is it all to screw with Maria?

I think it has to be. She's been working on anyone connected with the Tiago. Which would mean she's likely intending to fix on Lewis, who has the totem from Maria. I don't know if the Doctor has any clout in the nazi party that would be of use on top of that because he seems disconnected from the main narrative so far. 

Although, on the beach, the kid knew something was up with Elsa's boy, so she might be angling to use him in some potential stand off with Santa Muerte. 

The child actor plays creepo really really well. Like really really really creepo.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

And she’s smart enough to know something is up with this brilliant assistant that just popped out of thin air (yeah she’s a DEMON). No doubt she’s made some enemies but most don’t resort to thinking about murder. 

I really like her (the councilwoman), so I hope she makes it through. She's legitimately smart and a good politician. (That bathroom convo was rather meta.)

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

To be fair Mateo, you could talk to your family, just you dont want to talk to them right now. The murder charges are clear, so technically you could go back, just you told your mom you dont want to talk to her.

This is really starting to grate on me, and I was already annoyed. 

I'm psyched Lewis is bringing Tiago in on the nazi plan. 

The squeaky hamster wheel would have driven me up the wall. 

Was 'jumpy as a chinaman's cat' actually a phrase or did Lane ad lib that? Between last week and now, Lane is ripping out some killer monologues. 

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I dont think Molly has anything to do with what her mom is up to with the Nazis, or even has any idea what she is up to with them, I dont think her mom lets her know much about the day to day goings on of managing the church.

I don't think so either. Given how controlling she is, there's no way she'd clue in Molly. They made a point of showing the 'they need to know you're only married to the lord; clip, so I figure the mother is keeping her busy with all the singing, etc. I had a huge 'whoa' when the mother walked into the nazi dinner though. 

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I get that Maria is too "pure" or whatever to be tempted by her sister, but why continue to worship a saint that's always so snide to you?

I think showing Magda making Santa cry was underscoring the point. She's (SM) is lashing out at her 'coyote'. Doesn't have stomach for the fight yet. Now, I'm wondering since Maria has chatted with Magda whether she'll recognize Elsa when she sees her. They (Elsa/Maria) talked in the kitchen, but it didn't look like she recognized her as Rio. 

Hey, Maria, I don't know if I want to be the king on the chess board though. They don't do much. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Elsa is just evil.  Kick the housekeeper out, and then insist that the kids speak German.

Seemed ironic to me that that conversation was auf Englisch! Wouldn’t Elsa and Craft be more likely to speak German in private? I think we could tolerate a few lines of subtitles for the sake of verisimilitude.

When Magda appeared to Maria at the end I wondered what Maria was seeing... did she recognize her as Elsa?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I have a hard time believing a house that large wouldn't have enough upstairs bedrooms. It's huge, judging by the exterior shots of it.

Every time I see it I expect to see Scarlett O’Hara come out the front door! (Speaking of whom... how many throwaway conversations about casting Gone With the Wind have there been in this show now?)

3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Was 'jumpy as a chinaman's cat' actually a phrase or did Lane ad lib that?

I did a quick search and didn't find it anywhere, so it's likely someone made it up, perhaps just for alliterative reasons.  The closest I found was 'jumpy as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.'

1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

Every time I see it I expect to see Scarlett O’Hara come out the front door!

Or Carol Burnett, perhaps.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I did a quick search and didn't find it anywhere, so it's likely someone made it up, perhaps just for alliterative reasons.  The closest I found was 'jumpy as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.'

Or Carol Burnett, perhaps.

Oh Gawd yes — in the “green drapes” dress complete with curtain rod across the shoulders! (Yes, I am old enough to remember that and it wasn’t even a rerun yet.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Why would a Chinese person make a cat nervous though?

I believe the expression is a reference to the belief that they ate cats in China. There is a deliberate irony here. Lewis is battling anti-semitism while at the same time employing racists comments of his own. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Magda / Frank is trying to drive Tommy insane..but why so soon and transparently?

Why at all? I can't imagine what purpose it serves to scare the crap out of this little kid. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why at all? I can't imagine what purpose it serves to scare the crap out of this little kid. 

He is a threat, much like the Councilwoman. Someone that senses the underlying evil who must be eliminated / discredited

Edited by paigow
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4