Type keyword(s) to search

SPN Curated Binge?

• Start Topic

Hey friends!

Primetimer has set up a forum for Curated Binges (awesome idea) and I immediately thought of this show. Actually, I'm here because rather than post a curated binge on the forum, what I would actually like to do is REQUEST a curated binge from you!

Here is my SPN history: I was a fan in the early seasons, and really quite a big fan. I've been active on the boards for this show since the distant past, when it was on TWoP and Damien was recapping it alongside Raoul, the Big Gay Supernatural Dragon (I miss them so). But as the show ran on, I got impatient with it, and became really frustrated by its patterns (especially killing off every single female character, and then lampshading it instead of FIXING it!). I started letting it go, letting a season or two slip by at a time before getting drawn back in and catching up. Finally, I managed to break up with the show completely a few years ago. I'm not sure which season, but I think it was getting toward the end of the single-digits.

ANYWAY, I was recently going through some old bookmarks and stumbled across some early-seasons SPN fanfic that I had completely adored at the time, and started doing a bit of re-reading, and it reminded me how much I really cared about these characters and their story. It's bringing up that old desire to delve back in to this show. But I was so soured on it by the time I quit that I really don't want to set myself up for a miserable experience wading through the stuff I disliked to get to the stuff I actually really loved.

Here's what I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with: Since there is so damn much of this show, if you're a superfan who knows it really well, would you be willing to recommend the best, say, 5 episodes in each season? (Could be more or less depending on the season, of course - use your judgment!) I'd really love to get the highs, the episodes that bring the feels, and highlight the characters' strengths (and the storytelling strengths), as well as the strong relationships between the characters (not just Sam and Dean, but mainly them probably, given the nature/structure of the show), and skip right over the pointless filler, or the painfully awkward/sloppily-written episodes that drove me away.

It turns out I really CAN'T quit this show! And just in time for the end (whenever that will air), I can't resist catching up one last time. Anyone willing to take a stroll down memory lane and throw me a few suggestions?

Are you a cat herder in your spare time? :D

Attempting a consensus on the best five of any season of this show will probably get you as many differing lists as there are people participating. Although, I imagine you'll get a truly different set of list from this forum than most any other SPN fan venue.

That said, I don't know if you can 'get' the best of show from five eps a season, since for the most part there are definitive mytharc episodes necessary to understand the story, but some of the best episodes are standalone MOTW stories. So for me, a list of my five favourite episodes of a season and the five episodes you'd need to see to follow the story through 15 seasons are vastly different things.

Five  to follow the plot

1x01 Pilot

1x09 Home

1x16 Shadow

1x21 Salvation

1x22 Devil's Trap

Five favs

1x01 Pilot

1x06 Skin

1x12 Faith

1x18 Something Wicked

1x22 Devil's Trap

But then how do you leave out 1x02 Wendigo when it has the iconic 'Saving people, hunting things. The family business.'? Yep, too hard for me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Are you a cat herder in your spare time? 😄

Attempting a consensus on the best five of any season of this show will probably get you as many differing lists as there are people participating.

I know! It's so hard to pick, and everyone will have a different opinion, but I'm hoping at least it might generate some interesting discussion! (and 5 is just a suggested number, definitely not a hard limit! If there are 10 in a season that shouldn't be missed? Bring it on!)

And honestly, I would be fine to get a different list from everyone! Even just to start eliminating the "skippables" and comparing what people feel passionately about. I'm good to read summaries of whatever I don't watch to follow the story. I'm just interested in hearing from you what episodes you think really bring out the show's strengths! Maybe it would be a help, too, for anyone else wanting to rewatch before the finale, but being daunted by having 15 seasons to get through. It could be fun! Or a complete mess! I guess we'll see 🙂

• Love 1

Honestly I don't think I can be objective any more, especially regarding anything from S12 on.  There are 'Bitter Spoilers' and "Bitch vs Jerk" threads on this forum for a reason, lol. I hope you get some good responses!

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Slovenly Muse said:

I know! It's so hard to pick, and everyone will have a different opinion, but I'm hoping at least it might generate some interesting discussion! (and 5 is just a suggested number, definitely not a hard limit! If there are 10 in a season that shouldn't be missed? Bring it on!)

And honestly, I would be fine to get a different list from everyone! Even just to start eliminating the "skippables" and comparing what people feel passionately about. I'm good to read summaries of whatever I don't watch to follow the story. I'm just interested in hearing from you what episodes you think really bring out the show's strengths! Maybe it would be a help, too, for anyone else wanting to rewatch before the finale, but being daunted by having 15 seasons to get through. It could be fun! Or a complete mess! I guess we'll see 🙂

I think there are about a half dozen or so episodes that everyone will agree should be skipped, and another 2-3 each season that many/most will agree with.  The rest will have proponents (or haters) equally.  Even some of the more or less forgettable filler eps are often more watchable/more enjoyable than the mytharc ones.  

The main problem is that the fandom has been so polarized (at the instigation of the writers/showrunners, IMO) that the same episode that one person thinks is wonderful will be the worst possible to another, because it ignores or puts their favorite character in a bad light.  It's sad that it's easier to curate "best" for each individual character than for the show as a whole, or even for the Winchesters together.  This has been going on since about season 4, IMO, and has only gotten worse over the years.  

Though there are many episodes I hate that are saved by one scene, or one character, or sometimes even one look, I can think of maybe a dozen (out of 300+) that I can watch over and over again:  that were well-written, well-balanced, and (even if they did feature one over the other) advanced the story and/or character development.

• Love 3

The only 'skippable' for me is Bloodlines, until season 11.  Once Amara comes along I kind of drift away, but even that season has some great episodes.  LOVE  Thin Lizzie (except the final creepy Amara scene), Safe House and Into the Mystic.

Season 12, First Blood, Regarding Dean, Family Fued.  (disclaimer:  My opinions are slightly skewed because I loathe MotherMary)

Season 13:  Advancded Thanology,  Scoobynatural

Season 14:  Mint Condition, Don't go in the Woods.

Yeah, slim pickin's after season 11.  I would still watch the show in it's entirety, maybe FF through painfully bad scenes now that I know to expect them.  Your mileage my vary, of course.

• Love 2

I would say, in addition to Bloodlines, completely skippable would be Man's Best Friends with Benefits, and also All Dogs Go To Heaven, despite the wonderful Dean-as-sniper scene.  In terms of no redeeming value at all, I would add Bugs, Bitten, Remember the Titans, Paper Moon and Angel Heart.  For my personal hates, I'd put in Fallen Idols, Taxi Driver, Unforgiven, all the Wayward Sisters stories, LOTUS and pretty much most of seasons 12-15 except Regarding Dean, Who We Were, Asa Fox, Nihilism and the first half of Damaged Goods, and Golden Time, just for Dean singing.  There are a lot more I dislike/hate, but most have at least one or two redeeming scenes or development, though I wouldn't necessarily say they're worth watching--just not bad enough to make you want to throw something at the TV.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I think there are about a half dozen or so episodes that everyone will agree should be skipped, and another 2-3 each season that many/most will agree with. 

I agree although I dislike most of season 4 and it seems that many here love that season. I definitely skip around it when I binge and there are many episodes that I've only watched once. I'm guessing that I'm alone in this ☹️

• Love 1

Hmm. I binge watched the first 10.5 seasons and never skipped any. Of those, the only one I didn't enjoy at all was Bitten. Bloodlines in and of itself wasn't awful,  it just wasn't an episode of Supernatural in any way.  The reason for this post though?  I realized looking through S1 episodes this morning, I have no recollection of what Hookman was about. All I can remember is that someone cos played him in The Real Ghostbusters. Seriously,  I have not one memory of the episode itself. Weird. 

I have seen every episode of the show, but there are many I regret watching in the Andre Badd era.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Hmm. I binge watched the first 10.5 seasons and never skipped any. Of those, the only one I didn't enjoy at all was Bitten. Bloodlines in and of itself wasn't awful,  it just wasn't an episode of Supernatural in any way.  The reason for this post though?  I realized looking through S1 episodes this morning, I have no recollection of what Hookman was about. All I can remember is that someone cos played him in The Real Ghostbusters. Seriously,  I have not one memory of the episode itself. Weird. 

I have seen every episode of the show, but there are many I regret watching in the Andre Badd era.

I think part of my problem is that I've seen all the episodes so often (watch 4-5 eps on TNT every morning, even now!) that even episodes that were moderately interesting/not horrible the first 3 or 4 times have become much worse with repeat viewing (yes, I do manage to skip some of those, but somehow it's like picking at a scab...I just can't stop...😊). 

I don't regret watching any episodes at least once, though there are a few I wish I could forget.  

BTW, TNT just finished season 1 (again) and is halfway through season 2 at the moment.  

PS:  Hookman is the one with the preacher's daughter in college in Iowa.  Hookman was killing those who were bad influences on her.  Actually, similar to Provenance:  possessed object/evil spirit, Sam bonded with (and protected) the girl, Dean did the legwork and got no credit.    

• Love 2
1 hour ago, trudysmom said:

Season 12, First Blood, Regarding Dean, Family Fued.  (disclaimer:  My opinions are slightly skewed because I loathe MotherMary)

Season 13:  Advancded Thanology,  Scoobynatural

Season 14:  Mint Condition, Don't go in the Woods.

Thanks! Just to clarify, are these hits or misses?

21 minutes ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Let me ask you a few things before I send a list that I think might help you? Do you enjoy MOTW or mytharc more? Who are your favorite characters? Dean, Sam or Cas girl ?

Ooooh, good questions! I generally prefer mytharc, but I love a good MOTW if it's done well and not just filler. For characters, I'm flexible. I guess I would say Dean's my favourite, followed by Cas, then Sam, but the most important aspect for me is seeing the characters' strengths. What are they super good at, or what are their moments of awesome. The episodes that highlight the reasons WHY fans love them. (Sam's third on my list, but if you're a Sam girl, curate some episodes to get me on board!) I also love the relationships - when characters have each other's backs, or it's stupid obvious how much they care about each other. I imagine that's what a lot of fandom appreciates about the show, so I'm hoping to find some good points of commonality there. Kickass women are always a plus. 😉

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

Ooooh, good questions! I generally prefer mytharc, but I love a good MOTW if it's done well and not just filler. For characters, I'm flexible. I guess I would say Dean's my favourite, followed by Cas, then Sam, but the most important aspect for me is seeing the characters' strengths. What are they super good at, or what are their moments of awesome. The episodes that highlight the reasons WHY fans love them. (Sam's third on my list, but if you're a Sam girl, curate some episodes to get me on board!) I also love the relationships - when characters have each other's backs, or it's stupid obvious how much they care about each other. I imagine that's what a lot of fandom appreciates about the show, so I'm hoping to find some good points of commonality there. Kickass women are always a plus. 😉

I didn't enjoy most of seasons 13 and 14 but speaking as a fellow Dean fan Advanced Thanatology and Mint Condition were definitely standouts for seasons 13 and 14. Sadly I can't recall any kickass moments for the women on the show. They're still written pretty terribly.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

Well, there are - IMO - some extreme Gary Stu episodes for Sam but that's probably not the things you'd be looking for?

In terms of strenghts for Dean, nearly everything from Season 12 on is skippable. 

There is maybe one decent episode per Season from 12-15.

Season 12: Regarding Dean

Season 13: Advanced Thanalogy

Season 14: Nihilism

Season 15: the one with Christian Kane

• Love 5
(edited)

Sorry, but my list are hits.  Like I said, as the series wore on and Andre Badd got worse, well, slim pickin's for any real content.  

OH, I left off one of my all time favorite episodes:  Clap Your Hands if You Believe. Season 6 I think, soulless Sam is funny and doesn't have a stick up his butt, Dean is funny and frustrated.  It's one I go to just to sit back and clear my head.  Early episodes of season six blow me away anyhow with how pretty Dean is all clean and domesticated.  Damn.

Edited by trudysmom
Forgot something important.
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The reason for this post though?  I realized looking through S1 episodes this morning, I have no recollection of what Hookman was about. All I can remember is that someone cos played him in The Real Ghostbusters. Seriously,  I have not one memory of the episode itself. Weird.

Quoting myself here because I watched this episode this morning. I can't believe I didn't recall 'Sorority Girls'! And I didn't remember that the reverend dad was played by 'Bulldog' from Frasier. Man, this show was so much fun when the brothers liked each other and worked together. The teasing went both ways and they each brought their strengths to the case. And it was truly creepy and scary, with the moody lighting and appropriate music. I miss this show.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I would say, in addition to Bloodlines, completely skippable would be Man's Best Friends with Benefits, and also All Dogs Go To Heaven, despite the wonderful Dean-as-sniper scene.  In terms of no redeeming value at all, I would add Bugs, Bitten, Remember the Titans, Paper Moon and Angel Heart.  For my personal hates, I'd put in Fallen Idols, Taxi Driver, Unforgiven, all the Wayward Sisters stories, LOTUS and pretty much most of seasons 12-15 except Regarding Dean, Who We Were, Asa Fox, Nihilism and the first half of Damaged Goods, and Golden Time, just for Dean singing.  There are a lot more I dislike/hate, but most have at least one or two redeeming scenes or development, though I wouldn't necessarily say they're worth watching--just not bad enough to make you want to throw something at the TV.

I pretty much agree with all of these skippables except Angel Heart and Lotus. I like those. 

Recently I made a list of my top 10 episodes of each season.  I based my list on how re-watchable the episodes were. When I got to the Dabb years I could only come up with maybe 3-5 episodes for S12-S15 (so far) and that was really reaching for anything I could find likable about those seasons (although one episode from S13 made #25 of my top 100).  The first 5 seasons (specially S2) had the most re-watchable episodes and each season up until S12 I could come pretty close to ten.  Then we listed our top 100 from #100 to #1. I had three #1 episodes for the series (couldn't decide). It was quite a task. 

This show is such a personal experience. Some of my favorites are probably someone else's nightmare.  It was a fun exercise that I shared with a few friends. We all kind of shocked each other with our choices.

• Love 3

Hey, I’ll list some of my favorites. As a disclaimer, I’m a Dean girl (although I don’t hate Sam) who loves the first 11 seasons, so it was very difficult to narrow my favorites down. A lot of my choices are the classically funny/quirky episodes. 

- Season 1: Scarecrow, Faith, Shadow, Provenance, Devil’s Trap

- Season 2: In My Time of Dying, The Usual Suspects, Croatoan, Tall Tales, What Is and What Should Never Be, All Hell Breaks Loose  

- Season 3: The Kids are Alright, Bad Day at Black Rock, A Very Supernatural Christmas, Dream a Little Dream of Me, Jus in Bello, Mystery Spot, GhostFacers!, No Rest for the Wicked 

Season 4: Lazarus Rising, Wishful Thinking, Heaven and Hell, It’s a Terrible Life, Jump the Shark. But really everything  except Metamorphosis, The Great Bumpkin, Family Remains, and Criss Angel 

Season 5: The End, Changing Channels, Sam Interrupted, Dark Side of the Moon, Swan Song

Season 6: Live Free or Twihard, Clap Your Hands if You Believe, Appointment in Samarra, The French Mistake, Frontierland

Season 7: Girl Next Door, Death’s Door, the Born Again Identity, The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo

Season 8: We Need to Talk about Kevin, Blood Brother, As Time Goes By, Trial and Error, Pac Man Fever 

Season 9: I Think I’m Gonna Like It Here, Devil May Care, Dog Dean Afternoon, First Born, Blade Runners, Do You Believe in Miracles?

Season 10: Black, Reichenbach, Soul Survivor, Fan Fiction, The Executioner’s Song, The Werther Project 

Season 11: Baby, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Vessel, Red Meat

Season 12: Regarding Dean, Who We Are 

Season 13: Advanced Thanatology, Tombstone 

Season 14: Stranger in a Strange Land, Nihilism, Damaged Goods, Lebanon, Peace of Mind 

Season 15: Last Call, The Gamblers 

• Love 6
(edited)

I binged S1-5 before my first live season 6. It was really incredible how those seasons flowed so seamlessly together in one cohesive story.

I started out a fan of the brothers and that hasn't changed.  Having said that I appreciate Jensen's Supernatural acting talents and I never understood how he was overlooked by the Emmy's (genre show or not).  He is one of the most riveting actors on the planet.

S1 From 10-1

Hell House-I actually loved Ed and Harry.  And brother teasing.

Phantom Traveler- the first time they introduced comedy into the show.

Salvation-mostly for Johns cat and mouse with Meg

Provenance-creepy kids are creepy and for this

592b26d2df9140ddd0fbf99c8c3968b7e8d38bc3

Fair warning gifs might be included

Faith-introduction to reaper lore and how far the brothers would go for each other and how Dean felt about his self worth

The Benders-creepy family is creepy

Scarecrow-even though the brothers were fighting it was an understandable disagreement.

Bloody Mary-first hint that something was up with Sam (as if mom on the ceiling in his nursery wasn't enough).  And creepy Mary crawling out of the mirror..yikes!

Dead Mans Blood-The Winchester reunited, vampire lore, the Colt and the beginning of the race to the end of S1

Pilot-I had a hard time not listing this one as #1.  The episode that set us on this crazy journey (and the last time I felt sorry for Mary)

#1 Devils Trap-this episode had everything. Introduction to Bobby, the devils trap, exorcism, rescuing John, the confrontation in the cabin. And the cliffhanger that could have been the end of the series. Seriously intense episode.

I recently watched DT just a few days ago.  I swear I find nuggets of Jensen's immense talent on almost every re watch I hadn't noticed before.  After killing Meg and stunt demon beating the crap out of Sam the look on Dean's face set up the scene in the cabin.  When Dean looked at them he seemed confused.  I didn't put it together until I rewatched it the other day.  Dean was confused about how he felt killing the innocent people being possessed.  He didn't hesitate and he felt no remorse. His family was in danger, his job was to save them at any cost.  Jensens acting choices set up the scene he knew was coming at the end of the episode. And at least this audience member bought into it without realizing how seamlessly he had set it up.  And why this episode made one of my top 3 episodes for the series.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 7
(edited)

Thanks for your list @Casseiopeia (and for the gif ♥). I'm in agreement for the most part. There aren't any I would say NO! to, but I couldn't have a best-of without Skin near the top, so I would swap out Bloody Mary for that, and Something Wicked for Hell House, as we get some real insight into Dean's childhood and how the imperative to sacrifice for his brother was so deeply ingrained.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
typo
  • Love 3

Season 2 is my favorite season of the entire series.  Before all the angel/demon drama and brothers pitted against each other we had this last season of Sam and Dean working together Saving People, Hunting Things including another of my #1 picks for the series.

#10-#1

Usual Suspects-I loved how the brothers worked together even though they were separated almost the entire episode. 

Crossroads Blues-deals with Crossroad demons introduced. Intense confrontation between Dean and the demon setting up Dean's awful decision.

Bloodlust-Gordon Walker the villain we loved to hate.  

AHBL 1&2-Jensen!! How did this guy NOT get an Emmy again? The first shocking death of a brother.

Folsom Prison Blues-loved the cat and mouse between the brothers and Henriksen.

Heart-Werewolves.  I always have to include this one because it was my first experience with SPN.  The very first moment of SPN I watched was these two guys (I didn't know the relationship or what the backstory was then)and one of them was heartbroken because of what the other one had to do (while Silent Lucidity was playing...sheesh).  That one moment was so powerful I had to binge watch and research everything Supernatural.  Hah! Little did I know how my life was about to change.

Tall Tales-I mean come on slow dancing Aliens!

What is and What Should Never Be-   Poor Dean. Everything he ever wanted for everyone...his mom alive, Jess alive, Sam living the life that Dean wanted for him.  So interesting how Dean envisioned himself in that life.

In My Time of Dying-  a great episode to kick off the 2nd season. The trauma of losing his dad was compounded by the terrible secret screaming in Dean's head all day.

Nightshifter-another of my #1 picks for the series.  I loved every single thing about this episode.  This is what the show should have been(at least in my opinion).  I loved that even though they were cornered the brothers were more concerned about killing the monster than escaping. Again with the kick ass music... Renegade. Outsmarting Henricsen for the first (but not the last) time.  It was so well written by Ben Edlund.  The acting, editing, production....just everything about it was perfection. Of the #1's on my list this one is the most #1-ish.

• Love 6

@Casseiopeia you’re reminding me of my first love for this show! 😭 I’ve been thinking about a rewatch for a while but just haven’t been able to get enthused about it in the aftermath of the last few seasons. 

Seeing everyone’s faves, even just the few mentioned from the most recent seasons, is renewing my interest in going back. Thanks, y’all. 😃

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Season 2 is my favorite season of the entire series.  Before all the angel/demon drama and brothers pitted against each other we had this last season of Sam and Dean working together Saving People, Hunting Things including another of my #1 picks for the series.

#10-#1

Usual Suspects-I loved how the brothers worked together even though they were separated almost the entire episode. 

Crossroads Blues-deals with Crossroad demons introduced. Intense confrontation between Dean and the demon setting up Dean's awful decision.

Bloodlust-Gordon Walker the villain we loved to hate.  

AHBL 1&2-Jensen!! How did this guy NOT get an Emmy again? The first shocking death of a brother.

Folsom Prison Blues-loved the cat and mouse between the brothers and Henriksen.

Heart-Werewolves.  I always have to include this one because it was my first experience with SPN.  The very first moment of SPN I watched was these two guys (I didn't know the relationship or what the backstory was then)and one of them was heartbroken because of what the other one had to do (while Silent Lucidity was playing...sheesh).  That one moment was so powerful I had to binge watch and research everything Supernatural.  Hah! Little did I know how my life was about to change.

Tall Tales-I mean come on slow dancing Aliens!

What is and What Should Never Be-   Poor Dean. Everything he ever wanted for everyone...his mom alive, Jess alive, Sam living the life that Dean wanted for him.  So interesting how Dean envisioned himself in that life.

In My Time of Dying-  a great episode to kick off the 2nd season. The trauma of losing his dad was compounded by the terrible secret screaming in Dean's head all day.

Nightshifter-another of my #1 picks for the series.  I loved every single thing about this episode.  This is what the show should have been(at least in my opinion).  I loved that even though they were cornered the brothers were more concerned about killing the monster than escaping. Again with the kick ass music... Renegade. Outsmarting Henricsen for the first (but not the last) time.  It was so well written by Ben Edlund.  The acting, editing, production....just everything about it was perfection. Of the #1's on my list this one is the most #1-ish.

I love your picks! With the exception of Heart ( just because I'm not crazy with how they depict werewolves on SPN ) I agree wholeheartedly with your entire post. Season 2 is my favorite hands down and Nightshifter is definitely in my top 5. Posts like this make me remember how good this show used to be when the writers actually cared.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 1:48 AM, Slovenly Muse said:

Anyone willing to take a stroll down memory lane and throw me a few suggestions?

I am! ...But I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those weird outliers, so please keep that in mind when you look at my list.

Also:

On 5/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, Slovenly Muse said:

For characters, I'm flexible. I guess I would say Dean's my favourite, followed by Cas, then Sam, but the most important aspect for me is seeing the characters' strengths. What are they super good at, or what are their moments of awesome. The episodes that highlight the reasons WHY fans love them. (Sam's third on my list, but if you're a Sam girl, curate some episodes to get me on board!)

I lean towards Sam with Dean following close after. Castiel is a more distant third for me, since I have some issues with him sometimes. I'll try to pepper what I think are some good Sam episodes in my list, but I can admit it gets a bit tougher later on, since Sam's character took a huge beating for me starting about season 8. Actually a lot of what you are looking for - moments where the character's strengths are shown (which I actually love also) started taking a beating in season 8 for me, so you may find some of my season lists woefully small compared to others.

Season 1:

• Pilot - Sets things up fairly well, I think.
  • Bloody Mary - Creepy monster of the week with some good character stuff. Loved the end scene, with Sam's "Look, you're my brother, and I'd die for you *priceless Dean side-eye*, but there are somethings I need to keep to myself."
  • Sacrecrow - "Hope your freakin' apple pie is worth it!" Poor Dean: pie does not love him back.
  • Faith - When it comes to saving Dean, Sam's sorry, but can't say he's too sorry.
  • The Benders - People are crazy.
  • Something Wicked - for the reasons @gonzosgirrl said, and because Sam can learn something and be sincerely affected by it.
  • Devil's Trap - I watched this show live from the first episode. Needless to say the ending? Me: " What the...? No! That can't be the end!" *expletives deleted*

Season 2:

• In My Time of Dying - Lots of great character stuff. One of my favorites.
  • The Usual Suspects - Nice work, Matlock.
  • Nightshifter - Love this one.
  • Tall Tales - Hee!
  • Hollywood Babylon - "Maybe the ghosts are haunting the movie, because they think it sucks."
  • What Is and What Should Never Be - great character stuff on many levels. Love the ending, especially. When it comes to Dean, Sam wouldn't trade what he has.
  • All, Hell... Parts 1 and 2. Sam wishes Dean were there with him. When it comes to Sam, there's little Dean wouldn't sacrifice.

Season 3:

• Bad Day at Black Rock - Maybe all of Sam's bad luck stemmed from here? Also Bella sucks. Hee.
  • A Very Supernatural Christmas - Sad and somehow uplifting at the same time.
  • Mystery Spot - The Trickster is so very, very evil.
  • Ghostfacers - One of my favorite episodes for Dean, because Dean can lead in many different ways.
  • No Rest For the Wicked - Ouch.

Season 4 (warning: not my favorite):

• In the Beginning - Great backstory episode
  • Wishful Thinking - "For tea parties!" duh. And giant teddy bears for the win.
  • It's a Terrible Life - My favorite episode of the season.

Season 5:

• The End: Great Dean episode
  • I Believe the Children... - because I really liked Jesse (ended up writing a fanfic where he played a crucial role)
  • Changing Channels - "Should I honk?"
  • The Real Ghostbusters - I enjoyed this one a lot.
  • Sam, Interrupted - Ironically named, because it was a great Dean episode.
  • The Song Remains the Same - Great character stuff here.
  • My Bloody Valentine - a Good Sam episode
  • Dark Side of the Moon - Ouch
  • Point of No Return - Even when no one else does, Sam still has faith in his brother.
  • Swan Song

Season 6:

• Weekend at Bobby's - woodchipper for the win.
  • Clap Your Hands... - A lot of fun in this one for me. Dean and the fairy - hee.
  • Appointment in Samarra - of course Dean would get Sam's soul back
  • The French Mistake - Brilliant
  • My Heart Will Go On - The Winchesters always tempt fate
  • Frontierland - So much fun
  • Mommy Dearest - Smart Dean for the win. Oh and Jefferson Starships.
  • The Man Who Would Be King - A great story of good intentions gone wrong.
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much - Sam can't let his brother face the danger alone, no matter the cost.

Season 7 (warning: I loved season 7):

• Meet the New Boss / Hello Cruel World - Death for the win and of course Dean is Sam's "stone number 1."
  • Slash Fiction - Salad: "Dead plants with creamy goo. It's like eating self-righteousness." Brilliant.
  • How to Win Friends... - Poor Ranger Rick.
  • Death's Door - a great send-off for Bobby
  • Time After Time... even with 50 years between them Sam and Dean can work together to defeat the monster.
  • Plucky Pennywhistle's... Clowns are evil.
  • Repo Man - creepily fascinating. But that poor dog.
  • Out With the Old - so much fun
  • Reading is Fundamental - Sorrrry! And Kevin!

Season 8:

• Everybody Hates Hitler - My favorite episode of the season
  • The Great Escapist - Because: Metatron! (I know, I know, but I loved to hate him)

Season 9:

• Dog Dean Afternoon
  • First Born
  • King of the Damned No, no, no, noooo. (What was I thinking?)

Season 10:

• Riechenbach - Demon Dean is chilling
  • Soul Survivor - See above
  • Fan Fiction - I loved it
  • Ask Jeeves - fun diversion
  • About a Boy - Dean is always Dean, even in a twelve year old body
  • The Executioner's Song
  • The Book of the Damned - Sam's going to save Dean, even if it's wrong
  • The Werther Project - see above

Season 11:

• Baby - Baby's their home
  • Just My Imagination - I love Sully and the Zanna so much
  • The Devil in the Details - Sam says "no" ...and still thinks Dean will kick Lucifer's ass.
  • Into the Mystic
  • Love Hurts - Sam still trusts Dean
  • Safe House - Sam and Dean and Bobby and Rufus get the job done. What could be better?
  • Don't Call Me Shurley - I adore this episode. The ending is perfect.

Season 12:

• Regarding Dean
  • Stuck in the Middle With You

Season 13:

• Advanced Thanatology
  • Scoobynatural
  • The Thing

Season 14:

• Mint Condition?

Season 15:

???

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 4

9 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I am! ...But I'm afraid I'm going to be one of those weird outliers, so please keep that in mind when you look at my list.

You're a lot more efficient with your synopsis.  I need to be less wordy. 

• Love 1

S3 the writers strike shortened the season but there were still some gems. Not my favorite  because the story had to be changed, it got a little confusing.

From #10-#1

Ghost Facers-I was hooked on Ghost Hunters at the time and this was so spot on.  I thought it was hilarious.

Time Is On My Side-Rufus! Dean outsmarting Bella for once..sorry she got what she deserved. Dr. Benton...yikes!

Bad Day at Black Rock-cursed objects, Another fun episode. Wasn't crazy about Bella

Dream a Little Dream of Me-wow poor Dean. 

Fresh Blood-Gordon got what he deserved.  

A Very Supernatural Christmas-heartbreaking, funny and the end gets me every time.

Mystery Spot-Supernatural Groundhog Day. Death by taco!

Jus in Bello-another great episode.  I wish they hadn't killed off Victor. Lesson...sacrifice the virgin, which is I suppose how we got to killing the nurse.

No Rest For the Wicked-Wow! They actually went there.  They sent Dean to Hell.  Kripke didn't pull any punches when it came to putting his characters (and fans) in the worst kind of peril.

• Love 2

@AwesomO4000, I have to say I agree with most of your choices (something I never thought I'd say! 😊)  though I would add a few more, especially since I love season 4.  There are a few on your list I wouldn't have put, not because they're bad but because (a) I'm not really fond of horror/creepy (like Bloody Mary and Repo Man), (b) I hate Metatron and will only watch him if there's a good Dean story to go with him, and (c) I dislike stupid/annoying people, so the Ghostfacers and anything to do with Becky are out.  

Ones I would add (or maybe replace):

Season 1: Replace Bloody Mary with Skin, add Asylum (I love the interaction between the boys and the kids stuck there:  "You watch a lot of horror movies? ...Next time, pay attention.  Someone says don't go in there, don't go in!" and "How'd you get a job like this?  "I had a crappy guidance counselor."  )

Season 2: I would add Born Under a Bad Sign, because it was the first time I saw Sam being chillingly different.  I also have to note that I think What Is and What Should Never Be is one of my absolute top 3 (possibly number 1) of my favorites of all seasons.  Just beautifully done and heartbreaking.

Season 3: I'd have to add Jus in Bello, which I think is one of the best written of the whole series. 

Season 4:  I loved this season so I have to add quite a few:

Lazarus Rising (pretty much THE best introduction of a new character ever)

Monster Movie

On the Head of a Pin (hard to watch but so well played)

My favorite of the season:  Monster at the End of this Book

Season 5:  Aside from being very, very annoyed with Swan Song (as an episode it wouldn't be bad if I wasn't so angry with the switch), I would have to add Abandon All Hope because I love Ellen and Jo and thought that was a perfect (and heartbreaking) send off.  I might also add Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid because of Bobby.  And Changing Channels is on the top of my all-time lists.

Season 6: I'd add Live Free or Twihard (I know your opinion of vampDean in that one but I love it, especially things like: "Newsflash.  Vampires pee!")  I'm also not fond of The Man Who Knew Too Much (personal choice, just because Sam was too super/special for me) and I would probably add "And Then There Were None" because it was such a well-done classic murder mystery ep.

Season 7: The only ones I really loved were Slash Fiction and Time After Time and the only one I really disliked was Repo Man, but the rest of your list was fine.  

Season 8: I know what you thought of season 8, but I would have to add LARP and the Real Girl (because Dean in costume and "good luck storming the castle"), As Time Goes By as an interesting backstory, and Pac Man Fever (ditto to both comments above)

Season 9: I'd add Bad Boys and replace King of the Damned with Do You Believe in Miracles just because of the lead in to Demon Dean.

Season 10:  My favorites from your list are Reichenbach, Fan Fiction and The Executioner's Song.  The others are OK but not my favorites.  

Season 11:  Baby, Into the Mystic and Don't Call Me Shurley were favorites.  I really disliked (not hated) The Devil in the Details just because everyone did such stupid things and the writers had to turn themselves inside out to get everyone in the situations they wanted.

Season 12: My choices would be Regarding Dean and Who We Were.  That's all.  

Season 13:  Advanced Thanatology was too creepy for me, but I did love Death's library.  Scoobynatural was fun, but I was never a Scooby fan (I'm too old so I never watched as a kid) so most of it wasn't very interesting to me. *shrug*  

Season 14: I loved Nihilism, and the first half of Damaged Goods (until Nickifer and Mary took over).  I also enjoyed the last half of Lebanon, once they got over the stupid town kids.  

Season 15:  Golden Time.  It was pretty much the only one I remember.  

@Casseiopeia, sorry if I'm too wordy too, but it's hard not to go into too much detail!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Season 5:

• My Bloody Valentine - a Good Sam episode

I can never let a mention of this episode go by because a) I think it is possibly the most underrated episode of the series, and b) it has my favourite Dark Sam moment of the series, namely:

waityourturn.gif

I am sorry that Sam had to go through detox all over again, but goddamn this was an amazing scene. "Wait your turn."

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I can never let a mention of this episode go by because a) I think it is possibly the most underrated episode of the series, and b) it has my favourite Dark Sam moment of the series, namely:

waityourturn.gif

I am sorry that Sam had to go through detox all over again, but goddamn this was an amazing scene. "Wait your turn."

I agree! I have to say that my favorite Sam scenes have been when he was a little darker. Born Under A Bad Sign was my favorite in regards to Jared's performances but I too absolutely loved this moment from My Bloody Valentine. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I enjoyed your analysis @ahrtee!

12 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Replace Bloody Mary with Skin, add Asylum

That's legitimate... except I'm surprised with you not liking the horror as much that the gross shifter transformation didn't get  to you, because - eww. Seriously.

And with asylum, I used to like  it more, and I'll admit my not including it is sort of biased... That it's often quoted as evidence that Sam doesn't like Dean, is mean to Dean, etc. etc. so often has somewhat soured the episode for me a bit.

Lazarus Rising (pretty much THE best introduction of a new character ever)

It's retroactively that I don't rate this one higher. It's like "Swan Song" for you in a way. I wouldn't be so annoyed with the episode if we didn't learn later how intentionally misleading the episode was and/or what a bait and switch it was.

On the Head of a Pin (hard to watch but so well played)

The Repo Man of your list for me. I hate that episode... unusual for a Ben Edlund episode (which ironically Repo Man is also.)

Monster at the End of this Book

I used to love this one more, and I almost included it. But with the Chuck situation, I don't know. It makes Chuck's mind screw of Sam during their conversation so much worse... Sam's asking Chuck a legitimate question, almost begging for him to say don't do it, and Chuck says "that's the way the story seems to be headed." Just so mean.

Season 4 in general I will admit is mainly well written... it's the stuff they left out or intentionally lead us down the wrong path with which kept this from being as an enjoyable a season for me as it could have been.

I would have to add Abandon All Hope because I love Ellen and Jo and thought that was a perfect (and heartbreaking) send off.  I might also add Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid because of Bobby. 

Actually I would, too! ...But I was trying to cut down on my season 5 episode choices. I actually loved both of these episodes. DMDWP not only for Bobby, but for Jody who I also appreciated (and still do).

I'd add Live Free or Twihard (I know your opinion of vampDean in that one but I love it, especially things like: "Newsflash.  Vampires pee!") 

Actually my main complaint is the plot having Vampire Dean go to see Lisa and put her and Ben in danger... I think Dean - even vamped - is way too smart to have done things that way. I thought it was plot manipulation to make it so Lisa would break up with Dean. I really disliked that manipulation.

and the only one I really disliked was Repo Man,

It's not an easy one to watch, I admit. I really liked it, because of the philosophical questions it brought up for me... and because of the dark things it inferred about Sam and his shift to more embracing the hunting life. I probably analyzed more into it than was there (?) but I was fascinated by the parts of Sam that the Lucifer hallucination represented and what that said about Sam. Did Sam need his dark side to figure out the case? I think he did, and that's the thing that worried him and was why he separated that part off (along with his guilt). But I get that for most people, that stuff isn't very interesting.

As Time Goes By as an interesting backstory,

I would have been good with this episode if not for the all-too-familiar for this season Sam the giant damsel in distress thing (multiple times in the episode).

I'd add Bad Boys and replace King of the Damned with Do You Believe in Miracles just because of the lead in to Demon Dean.

Sort of like your criticism of "The Man Who Knew Too Much," "Bad Boys" was too much special Dean for me... with the reduction of Sam to an almost parody making it worse.

I really disliked (not hated) The Devil in the Details just because everyone did such stupid things and the writers had to turn themselves inside out to get everyone in the situations they wanted.

An entirely legitimate criticism. I liked it mainly for Sam saying "no."

Edited by AwesomO4000
took out a writer comment or two to be safe
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Agreed, on both counts - though I agree with @DeeDee79 also. I'm cheating ; ). I enjoyed Jared's performance for all of My Bloody Valentine.

Another notable scene for me was Sam having Dean cuff him, and his voice breaking as he admitted that his addiction was getting to him... and being smart enough - and having learned enough - to take himself out of the game.

That's why this episode is such a good Sam episode for me. (Ben Edlund again, man - I often love his episodes).

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2
(edited)

Oops I missed one I meant to ask:

Season 10:  My favorites from your list are Reichenbach, Fan Fiction and The Executioner's Song.  The others are OK but not my favorites.  

Would you add any others for season 10? (I think I remember you saying that this was not a favorite season?) Maybe "The Prisoner?"

...and replace King of the Damned with Do You Believe in Miracles just because of the lead in to Demon Dean.

And now that you mention it (and I took a second look and mentioned "The Prisoner"): "King of the Damned?" What was I thinking?!? I don't even like that episode!!! There's a retcon in that episode that's truly AWFUL... My brain took a vacation on that one, geesh... (Hee!)

I was thinking of "The Prisoner" from season 10 not that episode from season 9. I am going to edit accordingly, because wow...

And the Demon Dean part of "Do You Believe in Miracles" and everything leading up to it was indeed really good. Sam's parts? Not so much.

Edited by AwesomO4000
11 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Oops I missed one I meant to ask:

Would you add any others for season 10? (I think I remember you saying that this was not a favorite season?) Maybe "The Prisoner?"

I didn't say Season 10 wasn't a favorite (though it had way too much Cole crap).  I don't think I've had a favorite season (or at least one where I enjoyed the majority of the eps) since maybe season 6.  But in 10, I might add Hibbing 911 just because Jody and Donna.  I'd say The Prisoner (I do love me some BAMF Dean) but I have the same problem with it that you said you had with Asylum--too many people started saying Dean was irredeemable for killing the kid (I'm not going into reasons or justifications here.)  I will say that if we start disliking good stories because of what happened later we're likely to lose all enjoyment of the original story.  Look at what they did with Mary! So I'm trying to keep good memories of the ones I loved at the time and not get them ruined.

Others I forgot to list--I might dd Everybody Loves a Clown to season 2, because it introduces Ellen and gives us the wonderful scenes of Dean dealing with his grief by smashing Baby.  I think I'd replace Love Hurts in season 11 with The Vessel (nothing wrong with Love Hurts but it was kind of blah to me).  I also wasn't that fond of The Werther Project but I know a lot of people loved it so I have no problem with keeping it on the list.  

Starting in season 9 I kind of lost track of which episodes were which, especially with the ones where the titles didn't actually mean anything but mostly that was because they were either bad or forgettable, so I probably wouldn't have added them to any list of favorites anyway.

At this point, I think it's easier for me to list the episodes I disliked or hated than favorites, and that's sad.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

I didn't say Season 10 wasn't a favorite (though it had way too much Cole crap). 

You're right ... I kinda inferred it (not sure that's the right use of that word, but meh) from our "bargain" (which I'm keeping things brief on the mentioned eps above, since it was a good idea and I haven't forgotten!) since you offered to throw season 10 on the "forget pile" - except for the demon Dean parts - mainly due to Cole (which yeah, entirely understandable) and super Charlie (also understandable.)***

Deal!  As a matter of fact, you can throw in much of season 10 (other than maybe the Deanmon eps and Executioner's Song).

So that's why I kinda assumed season 10 wasn't a favorite of yours. My bad...

*** It's kind of sad for Robbie Thompson that some of his best episodes (in my opinion) came after they killed off his Charlie. I loved all of Robbie's season 11 episodes. "Baby", "Safe House" and "Don't Call Shurley" could all arguably be in my top 25 of the series, and "Into the Mystic" was good also.

But in 10, I might add Hibbing 911 just because Jody and Donna.  I'd say The Prisoner (I do love me some BAMF Dean) but I have the same problem with it that you said you had with Asylum--too many people started saying Dean was irredeemable for killing the kid (I'm not going into reasons or justifications here.)

I entirely understand... no justifications necessary. (To be clear, however, I am not one of those people. I mean come on, Sam killed the nurse. Someone's gonna say Dean's irredeemable for killing Baby Styne? Geesh. Stupid in my opinion *sorry, not sorry*).

Edited to add:

I will say that if we start disliking good stories because of what happened later we're likely to lose all enjoyment of the original story.  Look at what they did with Mary! So I'm trying to keep good memories of the ones I loved at the time and not get them ruined.

Excellent point.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I will say that if we start disliking good stories because of what happened later we're likely to lose all enjoyment of the original story.  Look at what they did with Mary! So I'm trying to keep good memories of the ones I loved at the time and not get them ruined.

Alas, this is Andre Badd's legacy.

*I know this is @ahrtee's quote but I took it from AwesomO's post

(edited)

Season 4...so much conflict with this season. It was arguably the best of the series as far as writing and the fact that the writers were all on the same page.  Each episode built on what had gone before.  Writers weren't dropping their own lore into their scripts or ignoring the continuity of seasons past. Having said that S4 isn't one that I enjoy watching. The brother conflict was dialed up to 11 with each one certain their path was the right one.  S4 and 5 were tough to watch for us brother fans.

#10-#1

The Rapture-poor Jimmy!  He gave up everything buying into all the angel crap. Castiel didn't know it at the time but it was all a manipulation to end mankind's rule on earth. Sam's awful secret is revealed. Saving Amelia from the demon didn't exonerate him from the panic room.

Monster at the End of this Book-Chuck. So hard to like him now but back then he was just a goofy little prophet.

Wishful Thinking-Giant Flaming Pissed Off Teddy Bear! Best line ever. 

Monster Movie-I loved this episode! It was hilarious.  Jensen's comment "We're grown men".

Lucifer Rising-the culmination of Sam's downfall.  I think Kripke went too far. I get that Nancy (the virgin) was supposed to be the lesson Sam was supposed to learn but killing the innocent nurse was over the top. It was also the beginning of the demon blood confusion. I add it because it was well written, acted and it was the logical conclusion for the season. 

When the Levee Breaks- tumblr_oudherx3EW1rx7qjuo2_r2_500.gifv

Ugh....angels and demons tearing the brothers apart.  But again a well written, fantastically acted episode.

On the Head of a Pin-so much packed into the episode.  Dean started it all, Sam is drinking DB, angels are working against each other. "Find someone else, it's not me". Again another well acted, well written (BE) script that sets up the mind set of all the characters involved.

It's a Terrible Life-I rate this one higher because I needed it! Some relief from the previous episode (I was binge watching at the time).  Dean made a great corporate suit, Sam barely fit into that tiny cubicle.  I did love the brothers working together to solve a case.

Yellow Fever-Jensen does comedy so well.  I really hope he goes on to a project that let's him shine dramatically as well in comedy.  I know some fans didn't like because of the Dean is a dick thing but I got what Kripke was going for.  Dean's dark secret about Hell. 

source.gif

LrcF.gif

Lazarus Rising-For me the best season opener for the entire series. The first 19 minutes most without dialog...Dean digging himself out of his grave, the mysterious hand print, the force that destroyed the gasmart and hotel, his reunion with Bobby...then Sam...then Baby. Pamela's burned out eyes, Sam and Ruby (what the hell!) and I agree the best entrance for a character for the series to end the episode. 

tumblr_pyfbvgJeLp1w3076vo7_r2_540.gifv

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 4
(edited)

Season 5-Had it all ended here.....talk about a crappy ending to the Winchesters story! Sam suffering for all eternity in the cage with two pissed off archangels and Dean sad but okay (at least at the end of S5).  Early on they knew they were getting a S6 so whatever Kripke had in mind for his original ending (Dean/Michael and Sam/Lucifer locked in the cage battling forever?) had to be scrapped.   Again another mostly consistent season but I did get a little tired of the will they or won't they say yes to being manipulated into fulfilling the Angels plans.

#10-#1 although any of these episodes could be placed in any order.

The End-a tour de force performance by Jensen. He did a masterful job of showing the beaten and defeated future Dean compared to past Dean who still had hope. Jared's performance as Lucifer was fantastic as well. There was no trace of Sam in his portrayal. I liked the end when the brothers were (seemingly) back on the same page.

The Song Remains the Same-Anna needed to go.  Dean telling Michael to "get therapy" was perfect. Michael couldn't have telegraphed his disdain for humans any clearer. No Mary DID NOT continue hunting.  I could buy that if she had remembered that her future children were in peril, but no why would she risk her children and her clueless husband buy going on random hunts.

Swan Song-On almost every top whatever list of best episodes this one is always rated as the best of the series. I don't think it made my top 50. I list it here because once again it was well written and acted.   And I love that Baby was finally elevated to 3rd lead status.  I wrote out my theory about the importance of the Impala in this episode elsewhere and I stand by it.  But as we found out shortly in S6 everyone's sacrifice was wiped out by Sera Gamble.

Dark Side of the Moon-The opening sequence was pretty intense specially when Sam was killed and Dean was "Pissed".  More angel manipulation trying to drive more wedges between the brothers.  Loved Joshua.  And yes Mary still not hunting...because single mom caring for two small children and all.

tumblr_mxsph6TGg61s8l4eao4_500.gif

The Devil You Know-I loved this one....because Crowley! Sam finally gets control of his anger issues...and comes up with The Plan!

61db1a5b78d78a67b477e6ba31366129.gif

My Bloody Valentine-I guess there was some discussion with the producers and BE about the opening sequence...I honestly can't watch that part.  Cupid "nobody likes it", Dean's confrontation with Famine,  Sam's addiction to DB was chilling but devastating to Dean. Leading him to beg for help. To me Chuck/God was letting his creations angels/humans make their own choices, not interfering....Free Will!

Abandon All Hope-the introduction of Crowley (my favorite frenemy of the Winchesters) I loved Crowley from the first moment we met him. He was such a great addition to the show.  The Colt failed, Lucifer raises Death. I can't watch Ellen and Jo die without getting way too emotional! Another nail in the Dean psyche.  Dean kind of had a rough ride this season.

Two Minutes to Midnight-the second best entrance of a character of the series. Death riding into Chicago in a '59 Cadillac (I learned to drive in a 61 Caddie...best car ever), Pestilence was disgusting. Bobby makes a deal and Dean does too.

death-supernatural

Point of No Return-I know most fans wanted Dean to yes to Michael but I personally loved that Dean chose to remain human.  I really feel like Dean was mankind's last hope.  If he had said yes the battle (presumably) would have turned the planet into AU Apocalypse Earth. I loved that he killed Zachariah.  He got what he deserved!  And we got badass Castiel on top.  Sam still believing in his brother.  For Jeremy Carvers last episode I thought he did a great job.

Changing Channels-a critic once said of this episode that you could put it into any show on television and it would work. The script was clever and everyone brought their A game.  Jared and Jensen list it as one of their favorite episodes of the  series.  I agree. CC was hilarious and full of shocking twists.  Some fans were horrified at first airing believing that the format for the show had been changed to fit the network.  It was clever, had a great twisty reveal in the end and funny as hell.  Nutcracker, Herpes commercial, Procedural Cop shows and Dr. Sexy with ghosts and cowboy boots. I loved it. 

The reveal of Gabriel was fantastic, Dean telling him to stand up to his psycho brothers and then showing him mercy...loved the ending.

tumblr_nj2lksUMuz1tr2c16o1_250.gifv

tumblr_p011ps2QGQ1sone82o2_250.gifv

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 3

I love your S5 list, @Casseiopeia ♥  I might change the order some, but I wouldn't argue against any of your choices. Although I might try to fit Sam, Interrupted in there somewhere for some great Dean moments and medicated Sam with less of a stick up his butt is always welcome.

I go back and forth on Swan Song. I fully understand and share the dislike as a Dean fan, but I also admit that when I watched the first time, I didn't see things that way. I will always say that had the journey ended there, I would have felt that I was told a complete and satisfying story. I could have easily head-canoned that somebody raised Sam from perdition and he was on his way in to reunite with Dean.

I think we're in a minority with Point of No Return, but I loved this episode. Dean following through with his promise to stab Zachariah in his face was awesome. Cas was badass in the end, but his beating the shit out of Dean coloured my opinion of him for all time.

I already expressed my love for My Bloody Valentine, and I thought the opening was crazy (in a good way). I also think that Famine is high on the list, if not the creepiest villain the show ever had.

• Love 1
(edited)

Although I agree with @Casseiopeia that Lazarus Rising was the best introduction for a character my enjoyment of Cas's entrance has been diminished by how he low he has sunk in the latter seasons. I suppose it's on par with how The Monster At The End of This Book isn't as charming with how Chuck has changed from the days of being the nervous prophet. 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Cas was badass in the end, but his beating the shit out of Dean coloured my opinion of him for all time.

I agree. Once I got into fandom I was dismayed by the Cas fans that thought it was a good scene and that Dean needed him to do that. Blech.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

Although I agree with @Casseiopeia that Lazarus Rising was the best introduction for a character my enjoyment of Cas's entrance has been diminished by how he low he has sunk in the latter seasons. I suppose it's on par with how The Monster At The End of This Book isn't as charming with how Chuck has changed from the days of being the nervous prophet. 

Castiel's story was pretty much over at the end of S5.  I loved The Man Who Would Be King but no version of Castiel seemed to work after the apocalypse.  And lord knows they tried just about every version they could think of.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Castiel's story was pretty much over at the end of S5.  I loved The Man Who Would Be King but no version of Castiel seemed to work after the apocalypse.  And lord knows they tried just about every version they could think of.

I completely agree. I actually think that the inclusion of angels into the storyline felt shoehorned after season 5.

• Love 2

Season 6-My first season live.  I was so excited to be watching along with fans for the first time, analyzing each episode afterwards, waiting impatiently for the next episodes to air.  Hellatus's were Hell but I found that intrepid fans videoed conventions!  Yay! Now some real insight from the actors themselves.  Of course I fell in love with Jared and Jensen.  They are so charming, funny and sincere. How lucky we were to have a show we were passionate about and a cast that were genuinely wonderful people.  I LOVED S6.  I LOVED Soulless Sam and poor Dean so torn between his great life with Lisa and getting pulled back in by a brother he didn't recognize. Loved it!

#10-#1

Like a Virgin-As much as I enjoyed Soulless Sam he really needed to  go before he killed someone we cared about.  I thought Jared did a great job transforming back to Sam.  It was such a relief to have the brothers back.  Dragons? The sword in the stone and Purgatory. This episode set up the second half of the season.  It was entertaining even though Eve wasn't all that scary.

Appointment in Samara-The cat and mouse between Sam and Bobby was intense.  Since no character is safe on SPN I was really afraid that Bobby was going to be killed off. Dean as Death was kind of predictable but still we learned that souls were involved in the next looming apocalypse.

Caged Heat-Soulless Sam and his most chilling, the Alpha Vampire, Grandpa sold them out. Crowley's dead??? NOOO and of course this...

tumblr_pxabivVmDW1rkxfv7o4_r1_500.gifv

Grandpa was a little worried!

Frontierland-I'm telling you Cowboys and Demons should have been the spinoff. Kripke mentioned when the Colt was introduced that a spinoff with Samuel Colt would be something he would be interested in....me too!  I loved the Old West wasn't as glamorous as Dean thought it would be, Sam riding a horse, Samuel Colt was great.  It was our first hint that Castiel had his own agenda he wasn't sharing with the class.

tumblr_pyasd2EEAr1xb25yfo1_500.gif

Maybe someday!

The Man Who Would be King-all is finally revealed to the Winchesters.  Castiel is working with Crowley, lying to them and committing all kinds of atrocities.  Probably the best Castiel episode of the series. You get his pov  and while I had sympathy for what he was trying to do it's never wise to go against the Winchesters...specially Dean! The moment that Dean found out Cas had been lying, at first he was shocked, then devastated, then Cas became the next victim of "you don't cross Dean"....ever.

Clap Your Hands-Soulless Sam can be really funny.  Dean in an epic fight with Tinkerbell was so hilarious.  The X files homage, Another funny script by BE.

Live Free or Twi Hard-Dean as a vampire...all vampires need to be as badass as Dean Winchester

35a93dbf00a44eed0af7b9dc809c3099.gif

Who am I kidding...no one is a badass as Dean Winchester

tumblr_nkqa2vfZYG1r7ex9oo9_250.gifv

Okay something is seriously wrong with Sam!

Weekend and Bobby's-such a fun episode! And we get burning the bones of demons kills them because they're just ghosts with an attitude. Wood Chipper trumps all!  Rufus, Jody (when I still liked her), Drag Me to Hell! The brothers get a little much needed dressing down.  Jensen did a great job for his first time directing.

The French Mistake-everyone was so worried about this one.  Did they jump the shark? How would fans react to breaking the fourth wall like this? It so quickly turned into the classic  that proved there was no boundary that Supernatural couldn't smash through.  Jared and Jensen playing Sam and Dean playing Jared and Jensen.

source.gif

6x15FakeMine.gif

I really loved S6 mostly because we had finally put the brother angst behind us (SSam aside). I felt like I could finally breathe.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/4/2020 at 2:12 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I think we're in a minority with Point of No Return, but I loved this episode. Dean following through with his promise to stab Zachariah in his face was awesome.

"Point of No Return" is in my top 20 of Supernatural episodes easily, maybe top 10. (It's been a while since I've tried to make a list.)

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2
On 6/4/2020 at 1:29 PM, Casseiopeia said:

Two Minutes to Midnight-the second best entrance of a character of the series. Death riding into Chicago in a '59 Cadillac

It was the best entrance for me. I loved the music choice, the slow-mo speed-up, everything. Another episode that could have been on my list. I really did love season 5.

I think the difference for me between season 4 and 5 - although both were, as you said, tough in terms of the brother relationship - was that I had hope throughout season 5 that things would get better... and they did. I lost hope in season 4 rather early on, "Sex and Violence" pretty much killed it, and by the time of "On the Head of a Pin" it was pretty much a corpse in the gutter. "It's a Terrible Life" was much needed relief, but although I loved that episode and there seemed to be a chance things might leave the gutter, it was almost a mean tease, because it went on a little longer - with the beginning of "Monster at the End...", but the end of that - though a great scene - was an indication that nope, hope is staying in the gutter. And I agree with this:

On 6/3/2020 at 12:21 PM, Casseiopeia said:

Lucifer Rising-the culmination of Sam's downfall.  I think Kripke went too far. I get that Nancy (the virgin) was supposed to be the lesson Sam was supposed to learn but killing the innocent nurse was over the top. It was also the beginning of the demon blood confusion.

So while both season 4 and 5 had some rough patches for the brother relationship, I enjoy watching season 5 much more than season 4. A good way to look at the contrast for me can be summed up as follows... Both season 4 and 5 had a depressing, rough episode 16 (season 4: On the Head... , season 5: Dark Side of the Moon), but whereas season 5 gave us an 18 and 19th episode of "Point of No Return" and "Hammer of the Gods" (hope and reconciliation), season 4 gave us the end of "The Monster at the End..." and "Jump the Shark" (hope dashed and dissension).

That pretty much sums up my takeaway from seasons 4 and 5.

2 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Caged Heat-Soulless Sam and his most chilling,

Oh, yes. That bloody smile... I don't know how anyone can watch that scene and not know that something was seriously wrong with Soulless Sam and that there was just no "fixing" him or letting him stay that way.

But then again, I thought the scene with the callgirl was also telling. Whereas most saw a scene that was saying "look how sexy Soulless Sam is," I was thinking "How is that hooker not running panicked from the room?" Sure, the exercising part was nice eye candy, but then he spoke, and I was completely creeped out.*** It seemed to me like Soulless Sam was seriously thinking about whether it might be interesting to slowly strangle the woman if she didn't leave. That head tilt and the flash of menacing annoyance in his eyes when she started asking questions? I was creeped out. Then the "here's your tip. You're lucky I'm not going to hurt you" look afterwards.

The most unbelievable part to me was that sex worker's apparent lack of self preservation. Heh.

*** Several layers to his "I'm done" for me... Don't know how she didn't hear "with my workout... and with you. Why are you still here again?" Cuz, that's what I heard. Heh again.