Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: That's One for the Scrapbooks!

• Start Topic

A former professional golfer tees up against a scrapbooking queen on the Putter Ducky hole; a professional model and revenge-seeking husband flip out after their diving skills are scored by Olympian Greg Louganis and actor Steve Guttenberg.

(edited)

I love the hole with the porta potty gauntlet.     Avis Brown Riley (or however it's spelled) is so wonderful.  

I love how the golfers root for each other.   

I loved the Thunder from Down Under.   

So did they did get access to the obstacle archives from Wipeout?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
(edited)

The diving gimmick was a complete waste of time and Greg Louganis. I thought maybe they all knew how to dive, not just the plant. Instead it wound up being an unfunny joke about how bad the judges are. Meh. First Jon Lovitz now Steve Gutenberg; are comedians past their prime going to be a recurring theme?

Underwhelming choice for a final course. That would have been a first rounder last year. I miss Mount Holey Moley.

So I guess animated Steph Curry is going to be a thing all season. Apparently he was injured, then sick, then production stopped due to covid. So I get it, it’s pretty distracting though, especially when the winner becomes a cartoon in the end as well.

I wonder if someone will get past the port a potty doors eventually?

That awesome hole in one was about the only thing I liked about this ep.

Edited by dmeets
  • Love 1

Really enjoying this! Animated Steph is hysterical, and they can put him in situations they couldn't before. (Finding and then having to fire 50 foot ducks because the show was going in a different direction?)

Port-a-Putty is tough. Will anyone get through it without ending up in the water (except for a hole-in-one)? And then no backdrop on the hole. Good luck. (Though last week's zip line on Polecano made me cringe.) The weiner jokes are kinda one-and-done for me. I could live with seeing the dancers a couple more times. It's gonna be a long summer.

I felt they could've made Greg Louganis's and Steven Guttenberg's segment stronger. I was thinking they'd score their falls going into the water. And Guttenberg was in Cocoon, so aliens in pods somehow? Wilfred Brimley is still alive, fwiw, though he's in his 80's, and IMDb shows he hasn't worked in a couple years. Bottom line: They get these great guest stars, and I'd like to see the show use them better.

And just found this article that explains many of the changes, the thinking behind them, and some behind-the-scenes happenings.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, dmeets said:

especially when the winner becomes a cartoon in the end as well.

My thinking was, it would be pretty cool to have a cartoon avatar created by Hollywood artists. I'd be up for that.

The diving segment irritated me. I wanted the good diver to go on and play golf too.

I will be amazed if anyone makes it past PortaPotty Row.

The big wind at the end was pretty funny since it was real and the announcers were not prepared.

The most irritating contestant ended up winning. *sigh*

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The most irritating contestant ended up winning. *sigh*

Yeah, The Squirrel was a little ADHD/Look-at-Me!! but I didn’t think anyone else was really close. The Scrapbooker got the hole-in-1 and then imploded on her putting.

I think the college diver was put in there just to set-up the Greg/Steve bit. His acting was a little weak when protesting his score. I wanted Greg/Steve there for the whole show and when someone got knocked in the water they’d rate the falls and say things like “I love how committed she was, but look at the splash when she went in. She was just a little under-rotated.” And then if the player got higher than a 6.0 or something, they wouldn’t get the penalty stroke. In my mind, I was laughing at someone being brutalized by a windmill and then having the best diver in history deduct points because their legs weren’t fully extended. Just me?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I like how it's got an "if MST3K did sports" feel, although it's very much its own thing.

"Diving Range" had potential, but the obviously-rigged nature took away from the fun.  It would have worked better if it was just three amateur divers. 

I like that there are wipeouts, but in some cases, like Hole #2, no one making it takes away the suspense.  The trick is to find balance--difficult but not impossible.  (I think that's what made the ace shot so much fun:  it showed that a hole in one isn't against the laws of physics, just very improbable.)  On that one, I felt for the pro golfer.

I loved how the people competing, for whatever other issues are going on, tend to be good at mini-golf.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Really enjoying this! Animated Steph is hysterical, and they can put him in situations they couldn't before. (Finding and then having to fire 50 foot ducks because the show was going in a different direction?)

Port-a-Putty is tough. Will anyone get through it without ending up in the water (except for a hole-in-one)? And then no backdrop on the hole. Good luck. (Though last week's zip line on Polecano made me cringe.) The weiner jokes are kinda one-and-done for me. I could live with seeing the dancers a couple more times. It's gonna be a long summer.

I felt they could've made Greg Louganis's and Steven Guttenberg's segment stronger. I was thinking they'd score their falls going into the water. And Guttenberg was in Cocoon, so aliens in pods somehow? Wilfred Brimley is still alive, fwiw, though he's in his 80's, and IMDb shows he hasn't worked in a couple years. Bottom line: They get these great guest stars, and I'd like to see the show use them better.

And just found this article that explains many of the changes, the thinking behind them, and some behind-the-scenes happenings.

Thanks for the link, that was an informative article!

• Love 2

Joe T's facial expressions are the best! And Riggle isn't annoying me as much this year. The hole in one plus the reactions made the show, despite it being given away in the preview. And they can have those male dancers every week, on every hole!

• Love 4

I love that Jennifer was so happy with the male dancers. It was like, I don't even care about the game or money: dancing men!!!!!

Hole in one! 

I felt so sorry for those animated ducks. They looked so sad when waddling away.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, mertensia said:

I love that Jennifer was so happy with the male dancers. It was like, I don't even care about the game or money: dancing men!!!!!

Hole in one! 

I felt so sorry for those animated ducks. They looked so sad when waddling away.

ALL of this.

On 5/29/2020 at 2:45 PM, Grizzly said:

Joe T's facial expressions are the best! And Riggle isn't annoying me as much this year. The hole in one plus the reactions made the show, despite it being given away in the preview. And they can have those male dancers every week, on every hole!

I'm with you, Grizzly. Joe is a terrific straight man. Wonderful balance with Rob, and the show is an equal opportunity good time. Those dancers? Cha cha cha.

One thing I don't like is some of the challenges are favored for men/strength/youth. Mini golf equalizes those but the show introduces them again.

• Love 2
(edited)

I really like this episode.    I feel sorry for the Garbologist trying to putt, which his competitor (the scrapbooker) is thrilled about Thunder from Down Under gyrating in the background.      It's so windy that the stuff on Joe and Rob's desk is blowing off the desk.  

I don't think the scrapbooker even cares she lost, because she got to hug the dancers.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1