Type keyword(s) to search

Legendary - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just discovered this show and finally up to date with both seasons.  I've heard of Ballroom but beyond knowing just a tiny bit of the history, I'm honestly not familiar with the culture/structure/etc.  So it's been fun learning more about Ballroom culture and the technical aspects of voguing through this show.

Can someone tell me if it is typical in Ballroom for the contestants to talk back to the judges?  On one hand, it's cool for the judges to called out once in a while (because we've all seen some BS judging) but on the other hand, I kinda cringe for the contestants when they do this.  This show has gotten some decent guest judges who I could absolutely see hiring one or more of the contestants for future projects.  Maybe it's a long shot but not something unheard of (I think JLo has used a bunch of World of Dance contestants on her tour).  So I don't want any of the contestants to lose out on an opportunity because they're perceived as having an "attitude" or not capable of taking critical feedback.

On a side note: is it me or has Jameela seemed less engaged these past couple of episodes?  Is she not seeing eye to eye with the other judges (i.e. the fight with Leiomy)?  Is she annoyed that Megan is now sitting in the middle seat?

• Love 3
On 6/3/2021 at 8:23 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Listen, I loves the Balenciagas, but they are so sloppy; sloppy to the point that my ballroom virgin eyes can see. 

On 5/28/2021 at 12:09 PM, DearEvette said:

Balenciaga, imo, is being very much carried by Shannon.  Without her the rest fade for me.  She is all their charisma and focus.  It is a shame because I think they get overpraised because of it.  And I thought their Barbie thing was probably the least creative of the houses.

I think they definitely get too much love. I think they are sloppy and not very creative or dynamic. 

I did appreciate that when Honey was trying to snatch the mike to reply to Law that Mother Shannon kept a tight grip and actually chastised Honey. Honey came off as very immature and self-centered, and Shannon struck the right motherly tone of, "Child, you better listen to your elders." 

• Love 5

Something struck me as odd, so I rewatched the shows.  What is it with Balenciaga and the inability to keep shoes on their feet?  Kalik lost his shoes in one performance, Honey complained about her shoes, Mother Shannon fell on the Grand March performance and lost her shoe during the 3 Fab Mice runway. I would love to know the BTS tea on that!  

• Love 2
(edited)

Do the judges see a completely different or longer performance than we do? No shade, real question.

Semi final episode told me what I already knew - Balenciaga is a bunch of assholes. 

Dashaun is one of the sexiest men humans ever. 

Edited by Kroliosis
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, that ended in the way I could accept.  I had to get off of Instagram because Mother Shannon was posting a lot that led me to believe that House Balenciaga didn't win.  I didn't want to spoil myself!

I guess Honey was still smarting after the dustup with Law; she didn't vogue with the power or charm that I am used to seeing from her.

We should have had Leiomy vogue down with Deshaun instead of Bebe Rexha.  I did like that Deshaun debuted his House.

Diego has himself a fan club! (I'm in it, too!)  Mother Shannon will have to cut all of us. Heh.

Congratulations to the House of Miyake-Mugler!  I'll be ready for Season 3 in a few months.

Adding to the Leiomy Stan Brigade. I forgot that she was in Willow's "Whip My Hair" video! 

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
Added more stuff.
  • Love 4

I really enjoyed these last 2 episodes. The energy and creativity were at such high levels. 

Loved Tiffany's energy and cutthroat judging. I appreciated how Law and Leiomy firmly yet gently schooled her about certain aspects of ballroom. 

Honey, count me in for Club Diego! Watching all the judges get hot and bothered about him was so much fun! Loved Dashaun teasing them about it. Even his competitor was like: "Yeah. Yes, THAT." 

I was pulling for Miyake-Mugler, so YAY that they won. Balenciaga did very well, and I appreciated how engaged and together they were for the final. 

One thing that concerned me: that the judges seemed to be almost pushing the competitors to push their physical limits to harmful levels. I'm all for passion, but, damn, they still gotta use these bodies the next day, lol. 

Overall, I feel this season was much more polished, and I loved the themes. 

Can't wait for next season!!! 

• Love 1

Next season I would love to see a different icon feature the vogue move of the episode. That finale performance of Deshaun’s highlighted all 5 cleanly & perfectly. Let’s see what it should be then how each house interprets it. 

• Love 1

Congrats to the House of Miyake-Mugler!  Though to be fair, it was their competition to lose.  The judges clearly fell out of favor with Honey and no matter how much they loved Mother Shannon, Balenciaga probably needed to move a mountain to win.

On 6/11/2021 at 12:58 PM, rollacoaster said:

Loved Tiffany's energy and cutthroat judging. I appreciated how Law and Leiomy firmly yet gently schooled her about certain aspects of ballroom. 

Tiffany was a harsh judge!  And she seemed really pissed after the Law/Leiomy/Megan flare up.  But I noticed that she gave a similar criticism as Demi - that the contestants weren't spending enough time performing in front of her.  It makes me wonder if the contestants were taking the guest judge for granted in general (which unless they are Tyson Beckford is probably not a good idea).

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

I AM EXCITED! 

I think Keke Palmer's energy will be a good fit for this. 

Agreed! I loved Megan on the show, especially because she seemed so uncomfortable during the first few episodes and then got complete into it. But I heart Keke and think her personalty is a perfect fit and matches that of the other 3 Divas on the judges panel. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't know...I feel like the overall energy and skill level is not as high as previous seasons. So many of the houses seem sloppy and unready for primetime, and the costuming hasn't been particularly creative or exciting. Leiomy seems bored and irritated. Can't say I blame her. Law seems pretty engaged. I'm never sure how seriously to take Jameela. 

I am really enjoying Keke! Her confidence, energy and personality are perfect for this show. She's giving Auntie vibes, Auntie Maxine Waters in particular. I LOVE it. She and Law seem to jibe really well. Her glamorous kitty costume in the 3rd episode is fabulous.  

The guest judge was cute, but totally out of her depth. She was having a great time.

Does Dashaun look different this season? He always looks great, but he looks particularly tight and smooth and polished this go round. Especially around the eyebrows. 

House of Revlon, they are really bringing it! Love an international house! Feeling Juicy Couture, too, they are just so much fun. High energy and creative. 

That 360 looked DANGEROUS! I mean, the way people were landing, I fear sprained ankles and knees galore. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

I don't know...I feel like the overall energy and skill level is not as high as previous seasons. So many of the houses seem sloppy and unready for primetime, and the costuming hasn't been particularly creative or exciting.

Right there with you. This is Season THREE.  What is going on here, other than Covid ripping through some Houses? These Houses talked a lot of shit backstage, but only a few of them actually made some noise!

10 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Leiomy seems bored and irritated. Can't say I blame her. Law seems pretty engaged. I'm never sure how seriously to take Jameela. 

I can't really blame Leiomy, either. She had to have been irritated with this crop.  Watching Law giggle like a schoolgirl for Alpha Omega took me down.  We should never take Jameela seriously. She goes up for what moves her, even if it didn't move anyone else. 

Grand March, Part 1:

Labeija: Love Aja! The father has light eyes; can't trust a man with light eyes! They were sloppy and slow.

Alpha Omega:  Law is right; this House is filled with very foine menz.  Seeing Law (and Jameela!) swoon was the highlight of the judge antics this episode. Jameela was tripping as usual with her excessive use of 10s.

Revlon: Cute, snooty, but a little sloppy too! I didn't see a bit of a Duck Walk...

Makaveli: So we have another House Mother who can't dance? Those dips were sloppy.

Lyght: Yikes. I saw Leiomy's face and knew this House was toast.  And they went home!

Grand March, Part 2:

Juicy Couture: I'm rooting for this House purely on the strength of Lolita. They better be just as awesome as she is, although I didn't see it tonight...

Alain Mikli: Slow and Sloppy. Sigh.

Ada: I liked them purely on the strength of their Papi.  They are so cute!

Du'more Versailles; Lewks were on point,,, Leiomy's disappointed face doomed them as well. They went home!

Yohji Yamamoto: They are my faves so far.  Hopefully they will keep up the pace!

Animal Queendom Ball:

It's just like a new judge to burn their gag flag a bit too soon.  Honestly, Aja was the only member to come out looking good for Labeija's performance. I think House Labeija wasn't in immediate danger of going home this week. Keke could have saved her flag for something truly gag worthy.

It was also the beginning of a night full of failed executions of the required element that was done in front of the originator of said element.  It must have killed Leiomy to see almost every House fumble the 360 Dip.  She was probably thinking that she should have done a tutorial for these children! The House that got the highest marks of night didn't even attempt to do one, and I thought for sure that Revlon was going to get popped for that. 

Guest Judge: Anitta.  Honestly, they shouldn't even give guest judges an opportunity to reward performances that weren't up to par.  She was inoffensive, so I will let Anitta live, even though she was trying to out-Jameela Jameela herself.

Alain Mikli goes home.  

• Love 3
On 5/20/2022 at 1:40 PM, rollacoaster said:

I don't know...I feel like the overall energy and skill level is not as high as previous seasons. So many of the houses seem sloppy and unready for primetime, and the costuming hasn't been particularly creative or exciting. Leiomy seems bored and irritated. Can't say I blame her. Law seems pretty engaged. I'm never sure how seriously to take Jameela. 

On 5/21/2022 at 12:07 AM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Right there with you. This is Season THREE.  What is going on here, other than Covid ripping through some Houses? These Houses talked a lot of shit backstage, but only a few of them actually made some noise!

On 5/21/2022 at 12:07 AM, Stardancer Supreme said:

I can't really blame Leiomy, either. She had to have been irritated with this crop. 

There were so many houses that talked a big game but couldn't deliver. Part of the problem is that so many of the houses are brand spanking new. 6-8 months as a house?!?! Get outta here. Also, there seemed to be quite a few dancers/dance troupes who thought they could co-op the space to get access to the prize money, which is soooooo not cool. I just knew that one group of choreographers/professional dancers were gonna get flamed by the judges, Leiomy, in particular, when they said something to the effect of  "voguing isn't that difficult; if you can dance, you can vogue. And we're better dancers than everyone else here...." Like, where do you think you are sirs?!?!? Leiomy said:

giphy.gif

On 5/20/2022 at 1:40 PM, rollacoaster said:

The guest judge was cute, but totally out of her depth. She was having a great time.

I loved that Anita was having so much fun! She had no idea what to judge on, but she liked what she liked....and that was everything! 😂

Also glad to have Keke on. She definitely matches the energy of the others. 

So happy to have this show back! 

• Love 2
(edited)

Listen, when I saw the Lyght House Father bust out a Fortnite dance in the middle of a vogue battle...  The judges were very nice in giving them the boot as gently as they did!  LHF talking about he's been in Ballroom since 2015... where sir? IKYFL.

We need a Legendary BTS with the judges! I know Leiomy had much to say about that battle that couldn't be aired.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2022 at 9:07 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Jameela was tripping as usual with her excessive use of 10s.

Sometimes the best part of this show is watching Jameela try to be consistent with her scoring method.  In the first episode, she totally gave Alpha Omega a 10 because she found them attractive.  It was then hilarious watching her to try and justify scoring Revlon lower (who had a better performance imo).

21 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I loved that Anita was having so much fun! She had no idea what to judge on, but she liked what she liked....and that was everything! 😂

Anitta as a judge reminded me of Tyson Beckford.  Both had no idea what was going on but loved every minute.  The only difference was when it came to scoring, Tyson did whatever Leiomy told him to do.  Anitta should have taken cues from the other judges (especially Leiomy and Law) and maybe add a point or two if she wanted to be nice.

• Love 2

I haven't watched episode three yet (probably will tonight), but I've come to accept I don't at all understand how to judge the houses. Instead, I will defer to the judges and just yell encouragement from my couch like they can hear me in the past.

By law (but not by Law), I am required to root for the true legendary house of La Beija, especially with the addition of Aja. (I assume most viewers of this show have also seen Paris is Burning and drag race, and that I don't have to explain my bias!) I kinda wonder if they got low scores just for the judges to mess with them a bit given their legendary status. But then seeing how harshly they scored the houses in the second episode, it would appear no, they're just going to put them through it.

That said, I literally don't understand how it's freestyle but it's got to be as clean as a choreographed bit. That's kinda where Leiomy lost me, and I defer to her as the true expert in the room (her and Deshaun). I've always assumed they were choreographed performances when it's a house thing and more freestyle when it's a face-off between two individuals. I guess I have much to learn.

I was at first very sad that Megan Thee Stallion had been replaced, but man, two episodes in, and I'm all for Keke Palmer. She seems to know what she's talking about, she's not afraid to stand up to the other judges, especially Law, and she's got that tough love thang going on. Bring it, queen.

Law and Jamilla are what they are, and that's all I'm going to say about that. Deshaun seems a little subdued and yeah, possibly been touched by an angel as is the nice way to put "got some work done." I'm still all in though. It's nice to have a live crowd back. I think that really hurt last season, and I'm glad they were able to find a way to work a crowd in.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Rai said:

By law (but not by Law), I am required to root for the true legendary house of La Beija, especially with the addition of Aja. (I assume most viewers of this show have also seen Paris is Burning and drag race, and that I don't have to explain my bias!) I kinda wonder if they got low scores just for the judges to mess with them a bit given their legendary status. But then seeing how harshly they scored the houses in the second episode, it would appear no, they're just going to put them through it.

I was fully prepared to root for them, but, they just ain't bringin' it. 

• Love 2

I'm still rooting for them, but Revlon and Juicy Couture have got my attention. Actually, as I watched the houses do their animal thing, I was like "I don't know, the judges are a little harsh, they're all fine," and then Revlon performed and I was whooping and hollering in my living room. Okay, there IS a difference, and I felt it. Sometimes critiques like "we need to feel your passion" seem so vague, but Revlon really demonstrated what it was about.

The 360 looks incredibly difficult. I already ache in my knees watching the duck walks, but forget even trying the dips!

• Love 2

I think Crystal Labeija would beat her children. They are terrible. I love Aja's ode to her in that good during the grand March but they are non starters. 

Love me some Revlon and Juicy Couture. I like Alpha Omega. So far the others are a blur.

• Love 3

Really loving this Whorror theme, even if most of the houses aren't quite serving much beyond their looks. And Juicy Couture ate up that performance!

Also, who's idea was Carrie goes to visit The Wiz? (Or was it Carrie Eases on Down the Road? ) They need to be spoken to....

• Love 1
16 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Y'all got me low key excited about this episode. Should I be wholly excited? Or should I calibrate my enthusiasm? 

It was very enjoyable.  All 3 of the new episodes were. And I'd say the performances of episode 6 are finally up to the caliber that we've seen in previous seasons, probably because all the riffraff are gone. And Juicy has been coming through with every performance!

Poor Dashuan looks so overwhelmed this season. Between the judges saying that they're bored with every performance, judges and contestants storming off stage, and an entire "meet me outside" confrontation, they need to give the man a raise!

I also really liked that shadow/on the beat challenge. That was really fun!

• Love 4

Whorror House:

Issa is gorgeous and started the series of what a good guest judge should be!

Juicy Couture is my fave. Hopefully Lolita will be utilized better.

Why does the Hand Performances shown in rehearsal never quite curl all the way over on stage?  I'm thinking that a House will tear shit up from the practice runs, but the actual performances look vastly different!  

Babi Ada and Luz Yamamoto.... sexy and gorgeous!

So Makaveli had next to no energy in their performance.  To the bottom you go!

Honestly, Papi Ada should have eaten Jada Makaveli up in that battle.  I expected so much from him.

Sigh, House Ada goes home.

Anime Ball:

Bob the MF Drag Queen is everything to me!  Loooooove him soooo much!

Juicy Couture: The ones to beat.  They better not Tisci them, I swear.

Revlon: They looked fabulous. The spins, not so much.

Yamamoto: Love them, but their performance was sloppy. I know Jameela wanted to take her gag flag back after all that lip from Mama Yamamoto.  Heh.  I don't know why these Houses think that they will gain any points by attacking the judges, especially Leiomy.  You may be as legendary as "Hurr", but she is above you on the Legendary Food Chain mama!  I can feel Leiomy's frustration through the screen, so I can imagine what is was like sitting next to her or being in front of her.

LaBeija: Them Duck Walks was sloppy.

Makaveli: This House's energy is so low because their spirits were broken way back in episode 1. I think these people need therapy and hugs.

Alpha Omega: Yes, it was shady as hell giving them Hair Whips. Once again, performance was sloppy. 

The Beat For Beat Shadow performances was better than the group performances.

Zenith was a poor choice to battle the Alpha Omega Father.  And he only won for his vogue technique.

It was funny that House LaBeija goes home when Bob is the Guest judge! 

Mission Impossiball: 

Who is this Jake Wesly Rogers?  I had to Google him.  Eh. So he is tonight's guest judge.  He was inoffensive. I'm glad that the judges thus far seemed to take more cues from Law and Leiomy in regards to their scoring. There were no gratuitous 10s being tossed around.

Leiomy was over tonight. She looked expensive and baby...

Yamamoto: I like their performance. 

Juicy Couture: Lolita is my fave, and she didn't disappoint me this episode. Purrrrrr.

Makaveli: Stop giving them brownie points and put them out of their misery, please.

Alpha Omega: Who else but Adam was going to be the Soft and C*nt Specialist? The problem was their look and Adam didn't look soft enough to match his performance.

Revlon: Vinni? Soft and C*nt? Him?  Uh uh. A rare Revlon misstep.

And again, the Categories was much better than most of the performances.

So Goldie Makaveli vs. Adam Omega for the battle? Hmmm.  Yes, Adam messed up by running to Deshaun; I was wondering where he was going! 

Mark this episode as the only time I ever agreed with Jameela Jamil; Makaveli should have gone home this episode.  They are desperate and it is not something I want to see week after week. 

Judging by the reaction of the other Houses, Alpha Omega must have been really unlikeable...   Alpha Omega goes home.

There is one more Gag Flag left in play. It is Leiomy's flag.  I would love for her to keep it in the box! I have yet to see any performance that would make her gag.

• Love 2

Juicy Couture and Revlon should have this on lock by now, and I'd be down with either of them winning. The only acceptable use of Leiomy's flag would be for one of those two houses, I'm assuming.

Someone told Jameela to be more critical this season, I guess, because damn. Still loving Keke Palmer! She really does speak from a performance perspective that's different from Leiomy's specific ballroom background.

I feel like I finally got to see what's so special about Alpha Omega on the episode they went home, alas. Jesus, Rebel is a god among studs. But yeah, I don't know what the Burberry textile was all about other than an earth tone. I feel for Makevelli, but also, I'm kinda over them. It's like a similar story to Escada, but Escada actually won a lot more often that Makevelli has ever. I know they can't win, but jesus. Put them out of their misery already.

Deshaun does seem to be kinda low energy, and I don't know why. Sir! We get the hype cue from you! Pump your own beat! (Uh, phrasing, I know.)

This is a much better season than 2 though. I've gotten to know the houses better, and the live audience does make a huge difference. That said, I wish it wasn't so regimented into a house performance and a singles category. I get why they've hit that formula, but I loved learning all the different categories in season 1. It helped me get to know the individuals better too. Still, I'm glad this show exists, and I love that Bob the Drag Queen dropped by. I would DIE if Sasha Velour came by once as well. Just sayin'.

On 5/28/2022 at 10:12 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Judging by the reaction of the other Houses, Alpha Omega must have been really unlikeable...   Alpha Omega goes home.

I felt like the other teams didn't like Alpha Omega because the judges fawned over them for their looks. I mean, all of them are hot! When dude walked out in that afro, no shirt and those brown leather pants.....ooooh child!

There is one more Gag Flag left in play. It is Leiomy's flag.  I would love for her to keep it in the box! I have yet to see any performance that would make her gag.

I'm actually shocked that so many of the judges used their Gag Flag so early. 

Honestly, Papi Ada should have eaten Jada Makaveli up in that battle.  I expected so much from him.

I thought he won that. He looked fabulous. I also thought Adam won his battle too. 

• Love 3

I love Makaveli, but they are so damn messy! Every performance they are never in sync, their formations are always off, and their moves are not clean. And every time, they get mad when they're called on it.  They need to focus on precision and do it over and over again until they get it fucking right. 

My inner former cheerleader/dancer needed to get that off my chest. 

Off to watch the semi-finals.

• Love 2

To keep us occupied as we await the finals. Dashaun's style is just so crisp, clean, elegant, and precise!! Absolutely EFFORTLESS. And I appreciate how straight and tall his posture is when he duck walks. 

Y'all, this man will be 37 years old in August of this year. What an athlete. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 2

FairyTail Money Ball:

Leslie Jones! Awesome Guest Judge this episode.

All these baby twerks and of course Luz Yamamoto couldn't participate. She would have killed this performance! I did like Juicy Couture's group performance the best, though. #LolitaStan

3 Fab Mice: I was amazed at how sloppy Revlon, Makaveli, and Yamamoto were, especially since Juicy Couture slayed dem hoes effortlessly.

Juicy Couture wins 10K

Tweedle Dee Tweedle Stunts:  The only stunts I made out were from Yamamoto and Revlon.  

Revlon wins 5K

Revlon also wins Superior House this week, which added 15K to their prize money.  

Hot in the Shade Ball:

Kelly Rowland is the Guest Judge this episode.  She is gorgeous! Law was having too much fun shading Keke, Jameela, and Kelly tonight. Jameela is especially frisky tonight. I wonder what was in her glass for this episode; was she drinking drinking on camera? 

Does the Superior House get to choose House Performance order? No way would I have let Juicy Couture go first.  They gonna snatch that Superior House Trophy right back.  This group challenge was tailor made for them. 

All the other Houses were sloppy in comparison. 

Sex Siren: This category was clearly for Luz Yamamoto and Lolita, since the only beefcake on the show went home already. Alpha Omega would have tore this category up! The showdown was between Luz and Lolita, of course.   Luz was good, but Lolita took this one, again effortlessly.

Octo Puss Puss:  Makaveli and Yamamoto were sloppy in this category, paving the way for the showdown between Revlon and Juicy Couture.  Kamiyah and Juicy Couture was the hands down winners of this category!  They were so clean and precise with their movements.  Kamiyah got the thrill of her life when Kelly Rowland said her name.

Redemption Battle: Makaveli vs. Revlon. If Revlon don't send the Makavelis home, I don't know what I would do...

Makaveli goes home, finally.

Slayground Playground: 

Dominique Jackson is back as Guest Judge.  She seemed much calmer this time around. 

Juicy Couture stole the show. They even had Brooklyn pay homage to Leiomy in the performance. 

Yamamoto was sloppy and I also was afraid that Nunoy Revlon hurt himself jumping off the Monkey Bars prop.

Duck Walk Goose:  Yamamoto won that category almost by default, since Revlon and Juicy were not clean with their Duck Walks and Catwalks.

Runway the Funway:  I was hoping that Lolita would have snatched Mother Aoki Yamamoto's skirt from her when she waved it in Lolita's face.  Yamamoto wins this category.

Redemption Battle: Revlon vs. Yamamoto.  I was hoping for a Juicy Couture/Revlon Finale, but Kiona Revlon was not the best choice for battle.  

Revlon goes home.

• Love 4

I cannot believe Revlon went home. I am desolate. Leslie Jones was an amazing guest though. Her outfit! She slayed. Kelly Rowland was a surprisingly sharp judge. And Dominique Jackson is flawless as always. I just finally watched season 3 of Pose a few weeks ago (I know, I know), so it was good to see her again.

Juicy Couture seems on lock, and yo, they totally deserve it. Even if Revlon had stayed, I'm very okay with JC taking it home. That said, I wish they were facing Revlon because they're the only house who seem able to give Juicy Couture some competition. Sure, Yammamoto has a determined underdog factor, but they're never going to be strong enough.

Of course, watch me be TOTALLY WRONG. But c'mon. Juicy Couture is the business here.

• Love 5

I agree, @Rai. This is Juicy's for the taking.

I'm so upset that Revlon went home, but I'm pissed at them for that playground performance because it was just not up to level that they've been bringing in previous eps.

That battle between Yamamoto and Revlon was so close! I couldn't even choose a winner myself, even if I wanted Revlon to move forward. I certainly did not envy the judges during that one. 

Love, love, loved Leslie Jones as a judge. And her runway entrance was fabulous! You can tell she's a fan and was ready to take her job as judge seriously. It would be great to see her back again.  

On 6/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

FairyTail Money Ball:

Leslie Jones! Awesome Guest Judge this episode.

All these baby twerks and of course Luz Yamamoto couldn't participate. She would have killed this performance! I did like Juicy Couture's group performance the best, though. #LolitaStan

3 Fab Mice: I was amazed at how sloppy Revlon, Makaveli, and Yamamoto were, especially since Juicy Couture slayed dem hoes effortlessly.

Juicy Couture wins 10K

Tweedle Dee Tweedle Stunts:  The only stunts I made out were from Yamamoto and Revlon.  

Revlon wins 5K

Revlon also wins Superior House this week, which added 15K to their prize money.  

Hot in the Shade Ball:

Kelly Rowland is the Guest Judge this episode.  She is gorgeous! Law was having too much fun shading Keke, Jameela, and Kelly tonight. Jameela is especially frisky tonight. I wonder what was in her glass for this episode; was she drinking drinking on camera? 

Does the Superior House get to choose House Performance order? No way would I have let Juicy Couture go first.  They gonna snatch that Superior House Trophy right back.  This group challenge was tailor made for them. 

All the other Houses were sloppy in comparison. 

Sex Siren: This category was clearly for Luz Yamamoto and Lolita, since the only beefcake on the show went home already. Alpha Omega would have tore this category up! The showdown was between Luz and Lolita, of course.   Luz was good, but Lolita took this one, again effortlessly.

Octo Puss Puss:  Makaveli and Yamamoto were sloppy in this category, paving the way for the showdown between Revlon and Juicy Couture.  Kamiyah and Juicy Couture was the hands down winners of this category!  They were so clean and precise with their movements.  Kamiyah got the thrill of her life when Kelly Rowland said her name.

Redemption Battle: Makaveli vs. Revlon. If Revlon don't send the Makavelis home, I don't know what I would do...

Makaveli goes home, finally.

Slayground Playground: 

Dominique Jackson is back as Guest Judge.  She seemed much calmer this time around. 

Juicy Couture stole the show. They even had Brooklyn pay homage to Leiomy in the performance. 

Yamamoto was sloppy and I also was afraid that Nunoy Revlon hurt himself jumping off the Monkey Bars prop.

Duck Walk Goose:  Yamamoto won that category almost by default, since Revlon and Juicy were not clean with their Duck Walks and Catwalks.

Runway the Funway:  I was hoping that Lolita would have snatched Mother Aoki Yamamoto's skirt from her when she waved it in Lolita's face.  Yamamoto wins this category.

Redemption Battle: Revlon vs. Yamamoto.  I was hoping for a Juicy Couture/Revlon Finale, but Kiona Revlon was not the best choice for battle.  

Revlon goes home.

I've been meaning to say Thank You @Stardancer Supreme for these excellent summaries each week. Even with one episode, it's often hard for me to remember what the heck happened during a show. So with 3, it all gets muddled in my brain. These have been truly appreciated!  

Looking forward to the finale!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I would love to see Dashaun’s House of Basquiat join us next season.  I’m going to need to rewatch that performance and the one w Leiomy & Dashaun.  So hot. 

Edited by Kroliosis
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/5/2022 at 6:20 AM, luckyroll3 said:

I've been meaning to say Thank You @Stardancer Supreme for these excellent summaries each week. Even with one episode, it's often hard for me to remember what the heck happened during a show. So with 3, it all gets muddled in my brain. These have been truly appreciated!  

Co-sign.

I liked the playground theme, and hated that they had to do tricks on playground equipment. Some of it was shaking during the performances and I felt that production didn't do a good job of stabilizing some of the pieces. Performers shouldn't have to risk serious injury for entertainment purposes, and I sincerely hope that Nunoy is OK. I was so sad to see Revlon go. 

I am loving Keke Palmer! Her energy and personality are a perfect fit! I hope she continues as a judge. I've seen complaints on other forums about her being "too much" or "overbearing". Not this show, but on other shows she's been on, like the View or that Michael Strahan and Sara Haines talk show. I see Black women referred to this way far too often. I think she's just bold, confident, and unabashedly herself and that intimidates less energetic or confident people. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 3

Yeah, really. Keke Palmer speaks with confidence and knowledge, and gives critiques, but there's nothing unkind about her criticisms. The read she gave Law Roach was such a thing of beauty even he was dazzled. I really never knew much about her (and can't name one of her songs), but I'm all in on her now. Queen!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rollacoaster said:

I've seen complaints on other forums about her being "too much" or "overbearing". I see this reference to Black women a lot. I think she's just bold, confident, and unabashedly herself and that intimidates less energetic or confident people. 

Compared to the other judges she's been relatively tame. 

• Love 5

Yeah, Keke Palmer is alright with me.  Putting Law in his place cemented my liking of her judging style.

53 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

Compared to the other judges she's been relatively tame. 

Exactly.  Folk are always ready to tag a Black woman with that "too much" brush. Keke is everything!

• Love 4
(edited)

So looking forward to @Stardancer Supreme's recap of this finale! In the meantime, here are my thoughts. 

I do think that everyone looked so GOOD and brought their A-game! I'm thrilled that the show got D&G to provide those luxury garments. And the judges seemed truly engaged and excited! I know a performance is going well when Leiomy jumps up and starts screaming, "Fuck it up, fuck it up!" I also appreciated the moments when Leiomy and Law took the time explain how well a move was or was not properly executed. 

I think Yamamoto put up a great fight, and their full house performance was their best one this season. Clean, precise, synchronized, and they looked AMAZING. They delivered better on some of the element challenges. 

HOWEVER. 

As much as I enjoyed this finale, it was somehow lacking for me. It seemed to lack substance, or maybe drama/suspense.

I don't think there was any real doubt as to who was gonna win. Juicy Couture was just such a cut above from the beginning. I truly wish that Revlon had made it to the finale, I believe that they would have given Juicy a run for their money. 

I absolutely loved when Juicy started voguing for sheer joy when it was announced that they won. So thrilled for them! They truly deserve it. And we got to see the ascension of Brooklyn. High may she soar and long may she reign.

I enjoyed this kiki with you all! Can't wait to read your thoughts!

Already looking forward to season 4! 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 6
(edited)

This was truly Yammamoto's best night all around. Divo has carved out a very special place in my heart. I really don't care he didn't change his tempo for his duck walk. To me, that added to the precision because he never dropped the beat. I loved that he faced off against Brooklyn who is truly a superstar, and honestly, I love that he beat Brooklyn too.

I also found it hilarious when Yammamoto was thinking each judge individually for what they contributed in their critiques (Keke, acting! Leiomy, dance! Law, fashion!) and when they got to Jameela, they were like....uh, just want to make you gag! Nice workaround, y'all.

It was Juicy's to lose though, and even though they didn't have a flawless night, there definitely didn't seem to be a doubt who would walk away with the trophy. So I think that definitely brought the tension down. I also think it would've been tighter between Revlon and Juciy, no shade to Yammamoto. Revlon was just SO good and definitely clean and precise, since that's a thing now. But everyone loves an underdog story, I guess.

It also felt like a really short episode! House performance, five elements of vogue, and then boom, done! An all-house vogue-off, or an individual vogue-off incorporating the five elements would've been great. And I miss when the exhibitions got really niche too. I remember in season 1, the house performance that had to incorporate a mannequin or still life tableau kind of element. I miss those.

Looking forward to another season though, if only to see Keke kiki on this judges panel again. I've become a huge fan already, and I love how she pointed out the challenging relationship so many queer youth have with their churches and religious upbringing. It takes a special kind of faith to still commit to any religion if it's a branch that's been preaching against you from birth. I admire it even if I'm not entirely on board with it. But no one asked me!

In the "no one asked me" dept., there was one element that bothered me, and that was the D&G aspect. Amazing prize, no doubt, but somehow, it seems over much for a DIY kind of scene like ballroom? My bigger concern though is how it feels like more contrived image management for D&G after all their PR difficulties a few years ago over some very racist messaging and acts from within the house. From one of the founders! They're a thing, and it's hard to imagine high fashion without their house, but coming in here has "image management" written all over it, and it honestly grossed me out a little. I shouldn't hate. These performers deserve high-label clothing just as much as anyone does. I literally wish it'd been any other house though.

Law, if you swung the deal, please aim for a Marc Jacobs or Moschino next time. Comme des Garcons! Viktor and Rolf! Balenciaga! Go nuts! Choices, that's all I'm saying.

Would definitely love a season 4 though, and would definitely love to see another classic house in the mix. Xtravaganza?

PS, to my point about D&G, here's an article that talks about their problematic history and also how short memories can be about this kind of thing.

Edited by Rai
ETA pertinent link
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Here we are to another season finale!

Hip Hopera Ball

Everyone was dripping in Dolce & Gabanna! D&G even added to the ultimate prize with a social media campaign, a custom outfit, and 10K for each member of the winning House. That is awesome!

There was no guest judge for the finale.

House Performances:

Yohji Yamamoto had the cleanest and best performance they ever had. I loved Mother Aoki's makeup!  Yes, Divo has carried this House this season.

Juicy Couture came out and slayed, as usual.  I know I am the Lolita Stan and thought that she would be the star of this House, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I like all of the members of JC. 

We won't see the scores for the House performances until the end of the finale.

All House Battles:

Each House is to battle each other on the 5 Elements of Vogue! This is about to be lit!

Catwalk: Mother Aoki Yamamoto vs. Father Day Day Juicy Couture

Mother Aoki was cutting up, but Father Day Day took the win.  Juicy Couture: 5 points

Hands Performance: Luz Yamamoto vs. Kamiyah Juicy Couture

Luz was good, but I found myself focused on Kamiyah.  Kamiyah ate Luz up at the end!  Juicy Coture: 5 points

Duckwalk: Divo Yamamoto vs. Brooklyn Juicy Couture

I didn't think that Brooklyn was a good choice for this element, given how she performed last Ball.  Divo kept it classic and stayed in front of the judges the whole time. Dashaun even told Brooklyn to go back to her spot.  Yohji Yamamoto: 5 points

Floor Performance: Golden Yamamoto vs. Lolita Juicy Couture

Golden Yamamoto was giving Sex Siren for sure. I was wondering if Leiomy would say something and she did! I did like the breakdowns she gave after every battle so that we know what to look for and what we were actually seeing.   The score was tied, so both Houses gained 5 points

Spins and Dips: Linda Yamamoto vs. DYU Juicy Couture

Both of them were pretty nasty (in a good way!) and battled down until DYU fell out of his last dip.  The score was tied, so both Houses gained 5 points

Final Totals for the Win:

House Yohji Yamamoto - House Performance: 35 points, House Battles: 15 points.   Total score: 50 points

House Juicy Couture - House Performance: 40 points, House Battles: 20 points.  Total score: 60 points

House Juicy Couture wins Season 3 of Legendary!

Legendary did it right this season.  House Juicy Couture was clean and concise from the first episode and they never faltered in the level of performance they gave us. The Juicys are superstars for sure.  I'm hoping for another season and maybe tweak a few things, like no to the gag flags to save subpar Houses. 

• Love 3