Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: Prom

Katie confronts a classmate’s mom when she suspects Anna-Kat is being bullied at school. Meanwhile, Taylor sets out to complete the final item on her life skills checklist – teaching Greg to shoot a three-pointer – so that she can attend her senior prom. At the same time, Oliver is sympathetic when a caller at the Teen Help Line confides that no one asked her to prom.

Hahaha. The "I don't know why I let you talk me into having kids" line was pretty funny.

While we saw little of it through the season, every single scene with Oliver at the teen helpline office has been gold! His co-worker Deborah is so funny. I wish we saw more.

Tully's mom was so pretty! I was shocked.

The very last line delivered by the actor playing Greg was really cool 😄

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

While we saw little of it through the season, every single scene with Oliver at the teen helpline office has been gold! His co-worker Deborah is so funny. I wish we saw more.

It's funny because originally they didn't plan on Oliver being at Teen Helpline more than three episodes and they expanded it. It's been a great fit for the character and dare I say it, gave him a reality check. 

The episode was hilarious, great way to end the season. Always love the outtakes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Even though this was obviously not the intended season finale it actually worked as one.  Prom is a good end point and the episode was funny and well handled.  It left me with a warm feeling in anticipation of the next season.  I loved the blooper montage at the end too, which was obviously intended to air with the real season finale.  I wonder what the final 2 or 3 episodes would have covered.  We can only speculate and will have to wait until whenever next season airs to find out.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I wonder what the final 2 or 3 episodes would have covered.  We can only speculate and will have to wait until whenever next season airs to find out.

Only thing I can think of is probably finding out the truth that Taylor really did get into college and dropped it all because her parents couldn't afford it. Since they had it where Taylor really, really wanted to finish her list in this episode. Also, I think they would have probably brought the annoying social media guy to a close with Greg. I know the writers kept acting like it was important, but the story had not only ran it's course, but felt like they were making up excuses to keep him on. Like Greg's former assistant. 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I wonder what the final 2 or 3 episodes would have covered.

I'm sure the graduation would have been one. It would have been nice to see. I wonder if this show would incorporate COVID into the graduation story for next year and still able to show the actual ceremony? Allegedly (depending on everything) my kid's graduation has been rescheduled to the end of July. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I'm sure the graduation would have been one. It would have been nice to see. I wonder if this show would incorporate COVID into the graduation story for next year and still able to show the actual ceremony? Allegedly (depending on everything) my kid's graduation has been rescheduled to the end of July. 

I do wonder if a lot of shows are going to do that with characters who were to graduate this year too. I'm a high school teacher and we are working out various ways to hold some kind of ceremony for our kids. I even completed my doctorate and defended back in January. However, I can't walk and be hooded until August as a result at my university. 

• Love 1

Taylor's prom dress really was pretty, and I have to agree with Oliver - he and Cooper both looked adorable in their tuxes. It just added more fuel to the "gay couple" fire. Funny how this actually worked well as a season finale with everyone dancing in the spotlight. I'm guessing there was originally a tag to this episode they cut and replaced with the outtakes. 

I don't know that I buy Oliver's prom date as having trouble finding one because she's too pretty. Sounds like a trope used to make less popular girls feel better about themselves. Someone that attractive is going to have a date if she wants one. Even if no one outright asks her she can get the word out that she doesn't have a date and have one of her friends tell some guy to ask her. Unless she doesn't have any friends, which - again, not buying it.

I really wanted to see what "crom" looked like - it sounded like it was going to be WAY better than prom.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know that I buy Oliver's prom date as having trouble finding one because she's too pretty. Sounds like a trope used to make less popular girls feel better about themselves. Someone that attractive is going to have a date if she wants one. Even if no one outright asks her she can get the word out that she doesn't have a date and have one of her friends tell some guy to ask her. Unless she doesn't have any friends, which - again, not buying it.

Plus she apparently was a popular girl so really not buying it. Her friends would have talked. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, readster said:

I do wonder if a lot of shows are going to do that with characters who were to graduate this year too.

So far, I have not seen a single show even mention COVID - I'm thinking that is for two reasons, the first being that things were likely taped long before the virus really got going, and the second being that there is really no "resolution" at this time, and TV likes neat stories they can wrap up within an episode or two. 

In Taylor's case, I would think the graduation will likely not be addressed on screen, as of course the show is on break all summer and maybe even all of fall. So by the time they're back, she'll be well into her new life, and anything to do with high school would essentially be "old news."

Re: Anna Kat - Did anyone else suspect literally the moment that Katie first mentioned the bullying that it might actually be Anna Kat doing it? For starters, there usually needs to be a "twist" in these kinds of subplots to make it more interesting, but really, IMO Anna Kat really has gotten to be quite capable of being hurtful/bitchy at times. IDK why Katie automatically assumed her child couldn't be, unless it's because it's just plain tough for parents to see unattractive qualities in their child's character.

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

So far, I have not seen a single show even mention COVID - I'm thinking that is for two reasons, the first being that things were likely taped long before the virus really got going, and the second being that there is really no "resolution" at this time, and TV likes neat stories they can wrap up within an episode or two. 

In Taylor's case, I would think the graduation will likely not be addressed on screen, as of course the show is on break all summer and maybe even all of fall. So by the time they're back, she'll be well into her new life, and anything to do with high school would essentially be "old news."

Re: Anna Kat - Did anyone else suspect literally the moment that Katie first mentioned the bullying that it might actually be Anna Kat doing it? For starters, there usually needs to be a "twist" in these kinds of subplots to make it more interesting, but really, IMO Anna Kat really has gotten to be quite capable of being hurtful/bitchy at times. IDK why Katie automatically assumed her child couldn't be, unless it's because it's just plain tough for parents to see unattractive qualities in their child's character.

All Rise did but it's the only one I know of. Their finale was all done virtually and it was a fabulous episode! 

• Love 1

To be honest, I don't need American Housewife, or any of the other shows I watch, to address COVID. It is the one thing that everyone, and by that I mean everyone has been talking about for months now. I don't want to see it on my comedies too. Once it's over let's just forget it and move on, it doesn't need to be brought up over and over again.

• Love 7
On 5/14/2020 at 8:17 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I liked the ending best, loved____ the outtakes!!!! Looking forward to next season.

The outtakes were great. I find the Greg character annoying, but I've always liked the actor. It was funny to watch him go from the dork character into his real life persona.

Plus she apparently was a popular girl so really not buying it. Her friends would have talked

Yeah, sitcoms have a long history of pretending that social circumstances can change on a dime (like Franklin suddenly seeming "cool" for playing the piano and singing after being a weirdo at a party). Nothing about that prom situation would ever happen, starting with her calling the help line about her "problem" to begin with. 

But the ending was cute with the dancing in the driveway.

• Love 1