Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Sleepover

• Start Topic

Nathan is thrown when Nora goes on a Nitely date. Ingrid invites Nathan’s niece for a sleepover. Nathan and Nora suspect his damaged memories may lead to a greater conspiracy. Luke gets into a fight with Aleesha.

Airdate: May 1, 2020

I love that they did Ingrid's hair to match the niece's. I figured they would show Ingrid in a nicer light, just as Nathan is developing feelings for Nora. Loved her throwing out her nasty family. 

I wonder if Nora will use her discount to take over his payments, at some point, since her dad doesn't want to be uploaded. 

• Love 9

I really loved that they are giving Ingrid more depth and really enjoyed the character moments. However I am starting to feel like they are trying address too many social issues and they are not dealing with most of them effectively. The world building is complex and intriguing but nothing is being explained to any satisfying degree.

12 hours ago, Anela said:

I love that they did Ingrid's hair to match the niece's.

I loved that too. Particularly after Nathan’s comment about not letting Ingrid straighten her hair. I wonder if they were trying to show Ingrid’s growth or that Nathan doesn’t really understand her. 

Well, I'm getting whiplash, trying to figure out who's good, who's evil, who's a jerk, who's well-meaning...  I just hope Nora's father doesn't have some kind of evil (or jerky) secret (other than vaping, that is).

• Love 1

The actress playing Nora has a real problem with vocal fry and I find it very distracting. It's the kind of thing you just can't ignore once you notice it. Vocal fry has become a widespread problem in entertainment and I don't know why. Looking back on television and films throughout recent decades there's none to be found that I'm aware of and now it's all over the place. I assume directors of old would have yelled "cut" and corrected the problem by telling the actress to SPEAK UP, or else wouldn't have hired her in the first place.

• Love 1

I don’t think she has vocal fry at all and I usually get annoyed with it. Maybe it’s because I like the actress.

I am really loving this show so far and the mystery surrounding Nathan’s memory loss. I am also enjoying the chemistry between Nathan and Nora.

• Love 13
(edited)

It was not at all surprising that Ingrid's family is THE WORST. The little that we saw of them earlier in the season planted the seeds of that idea but this episode confirmed it. I'm not saying that it makes some of Ingrid's shittiness okay, but it definitely explains it.

The sad thing is that what we saw with Ingrid and her family was very realistic. Often people who have emotionally abusive family members just accept that their family members are assholes and they accept it but when they see their family act like assholes towards someone else, that's what gets them to finally stand up to them. Nathan's niece is sweet and adorable so the constant digs at her being poor and eating like a pig were definitely over the line so I was glad that Ingrid put her foot down and threw her family out (although it took a lot of insults to get there).

Heh, also sad is that idea that Nevaeh is still going to be a popular name in the future. Let it go, people. Whoever first thought to name their kid "heaven" spelled backwards was a dickwad and everyone who followed suit is too.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:18 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I'm getting whiplash, trying to figure out who's good, who's evil, who's a jerk, who's well-meaning...

My feeling is that most people aren't all good or bad. They are complex and can have good aspects and bad aspects. I'd rather have characters who aren't total villains or white hats because it's more realistic. Good people do crappy things and even terrible people do nice things once in a while.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:14 AM, iMonrey said:

The actress playing Nora has a real problem with vocal fry and I find it very distracting. It's the kind of thing you just can't ignore once you notice it. Vocal fry has become a widespread problem in entertainment and I don't know why. Looking back on television and films throughout recent decades there's none to be found that I'm aware of and now it's all over the place. I assume directors of old would have yelled "cut" and corrected the problem by telling the actress to SPEAK UP, or else wouldn't have hired her in the first place.

Although vocal fry is annoying and all too common, the actress playing Nora doesn't have vocal fry. She speaks from her throat instead of her chest, which is not the same thing. [/choir nerd] I do wonder why agents/managers don't tell their clients to take some voice classes so that they can learn now to speak (and enunciate) better. For the record, I find both issues (vocal fry and speaking from the throat) really annoying so Nora's voice has bothered me on and off throughout the season.

ETA: I totally forgot to mention Aleesha's fight with Luke. I laughed so hard when she told him that she had a fingers and dicks file. Now I'm just waiting to see if he holds this over her head or if just does stupid stuff like this because he's bored.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9
On 5/4/2020 at 5:18 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I'm getting whiplash, trying to figure out who's good, who's evil, who's a jerk, who's well-meaning...  I just hope Nora's father doesn't have some kind of evil (or jerky) secret (other than vaping, that is).

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

My feeling is that most people aren't all good or bad. They are complex and can have good aspects and bad aspects. I'd rather have characters who aren't total villains or white hats because it's more realistic. Good people do crappy things and even terrible people do nice things once in a while.

Oh I totally agree.  It just seemed like this particular episode highlighted it more than most.

"Heh, also sad is that idea that Nevaeh is still going to be a popular name in the future. Let it go, people. Whoever first thought to name their kid "heaven" spelled backwards was a dickwad and everyone who followed suit is too."

(sorry can't figure out how to split up your quote box but) AMEN! (nema?)  Well maybe I wouldn't go so far as declaring them all dickwads, but sheesh!

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

(sorry can't figure out how to split up your quote box but)

I usually just quote the the whole thing, then edit the quote. If I remove a large chunk, I write [SNIP] in the space where I edited. I have also seen people highlight in bold the parts that they are responding to if they want to give the quotes more context.

• Useful 1
(edited)

The condom gag made me laugh. But after a moment's thought, I'm not sure it makes sense. They've got phones that come out of their hands but still need little rubber johnnies to deal with STIs and contraception?

Unlike precocious asshole kid, Nathan's niece is actually quite sweet. She's a kid who actually acts like a kid. I really enjoyed how the smile dropped off her face when Ingrid said "let's do our hair the same." Because she immediately assumed that meant she would be the one changing her hair.

That family were genuinely huge pricks, to make Ingrid seem sympathetic and likeable. A bit too extreme to be believable, really. It felt like an SNL skit about terrible rich people.

The silly corporate stuff is amusing, and I'm a little surprised that these companies all agreed to have their names used. The power of Amazon, I guess. The hard sell stuff that the angels have to do is good too. I remember having to try to sell loans and credit cards to people who just wanted to ask a question about their bank account, as my first job after university. It was terrible. They're definitely capturing the feel of being a put-upon customer service drone.

Speaking of which, I guess we're not supposed to like Luke, given how he treats his angel like garbage. Only garbage people act like that to people who have to be cordial to them. He's fucking awful.

So is Byron. Again he didn't come across as an actual human. Just weird, contradictory moments and an utter inability to judge any situation. Does Nora really feel guilty enough about her dad that she's willing to entertain that guy?

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Pixel said:

At first Luke was being a dick to his angel. But I think now they’re both enjoying playing games with each other. 

I’m going to put this in spoilers because I can’t remember which episode it happened in, but I literally lol’d when 

Spoiler

luke ended up with too many fingers 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I'm interested in what Ingrid said about reprogramming the car to prioritize the occupant. Clearly, that didn't happen. I wonder if she was told falsely how to override his settings, and ended up reprogramming some of the fail safes or if that's just proof his car didn't act appropriately. 

On 5/17/2020 at 6:22 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heh, also sad is that idea that Nevaeh is still going to be a popular name in the future. Let it go, people. Whoever first thought to name their kid "heaven" spelled backwards was a dickwad and everyone who followed suit is too.

Aw, don't pick on Sonny from P.O.D. I'm sure he didn't mean for it to get out of hand. Although, let me state my annoyance for people who name their kid "Neveah" but spell it in a different way. The spelling is the entire point. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I'm interested in what Ingrid said about reprogramming the car to prioritize the occupant. Clearly, that didn't happen. I wonder if she was told falsely how to override his settings, and ended up reprogramming some of the fail safes or if that's just proof his car didn't act appropriately. 

That’s not how I saw it. I thought the prioritize settings were a non factor in the crash because the car didn’t “see” the obstacle. Given the nature of the crash prioritize occupant still could have been what saved Nathan’s life. Without Ingrid there pressuring him then upload Nathan might still be alive. 

I wonder if Nathan tampering with his own car made it easier for someone else to reprogram it to kill him.