Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Megan's Story

• Start Topic

On 5/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, fonfereksglen said:

During BSG commercials, I learned that Megan cannot bring herself to eat calamari or caviar.  So she does have limits.

Don't forget though, she IS a picky eater.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I think they need to change up the formula for this show. Why do they have to drive all the way to Houston only to be told the same thing every episode... Go back home and lose 50 pounds a munt to qualify for bariatric surgery. 

I can think of multiple reasons Dr. Now needs to see them in person:

1. We don't see the entire exam. I think he palpates their abdomen, listens to their heart and lungs, assesses their ability to move, examine any lymphodema, and a whole lot of other things. You can't do that via videoconference. Also if they have skin breakdown/infections, he needs to see (and smell) that in person.

2. If the exam and bloodwork reveals they need hospitalization, he wants to admit them where he has privileges and can treat them. He can't do that if he's not in Houston.

3. Pre-COVID, I don't think that he could bill for a telehealth visit, or at least not as much as for an in-office physical exam. Maybe this has changed since COVID. 

I'm not a physician but if I was, I'd want to see my patients before I took responsibility for their care, particularly patients with such complex physical health conditions. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

My guess is the first Houston visit is to get a real weight, complete medical history, their initial psychiatric clearance, and a lot of tests, and a meeting with the nutritionist/dietician.   If someone won't come to Houston for that visit, then they probably won't show up for the other visits, or move to Houston after surgery, even if it's only a temporary move.  

If Megan didn't have to come to Houston, then her Mom wouldn't have been gazing at Dr. Now as if he was her dream man.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Megan has achieved one thing in her miserable life, she's a world-class whiner.   Megan and her mother (Dr. Now's number one fan), must love putrid pink, because everything in their wardrobe, and house is the same pink.   Megan's bedroom with red and black plaid bedspread, and the makeshift curtain, with the super pink walls is painful to look at. 

So the trauma was her parents divorced, and her step sisters didn't like her?  Actually, I think the 'step-sisters' are really half-sisters, with mom's previous relationship before Megan's dad.     I don't live in the same house with her, and I don't like her, or the mother.    Her visit to her father at the rehab center where he lives, is another example of how she eats massive amounts of food, but then whines about how bad her health is, and how sick she is.   Nothing is ever her fault is it?       The mother, Megan, and both older half sisters are huge, and Megan was huge from the first picture of her. 

With the chain salons, a decent haircut is cheap, so why does Megan's mother look like I cut her hair?  (Actually, since lockdown, I do a decent job trimming my hair a little at a time, and others are good at it too.   Watch a few videos about haircutting, or go to a cheap place, and get a nice haircut, and take some pride in yourself).   

At the start of the first trip to Houston, Megan says it's 13 hours, and should take 2 days.    Bet we're looking at a 2 day or more marathon of drive thru windows.   First drive thru order is 4 chicken wraps for Megan, and a chicken sandwich, for mom.   Chick-Fil-A, they can't blur it enough to fool me.   

So end of day one, they're hitting the drive thru again, and Mom brings a full bag out that would feed 10 people, so Megan's going to freak at Dr. Now's diet.  Day two is another food marathon, but they made it to Houston.  Megan wants to be a pediatric nurse, but she didn't even start college.     Mom is discussing how she should find a rich Texan, and the way Mom is staring at Dr. Now, I bet she thinks she found him.   The mother's slack jaw gazing at Dr. Now is bizarre.   FOrtunately, I'm sure if Mama Megan lunges at Dr. Now, the camera crew will stop them, or Cassandra the nurse will take them out. 

I love how 'committed to Dr. Now's program' Megan is when she goes to say good bye to her dad at the rehab place, or rest home, and orders Pizza Hut pizza and a big pasta.   She claims she's getting the pasta for herself, and dives right into the pizza.   At the final visit, Dr. Now couldn't be any further away from Megan's mom, unless he moved to the parking lot, and I'm guessing he figured out what the mom's slack jawed gaze at him means. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

This is going to be rerun at 1 p.m. central.     Don't miss Megan blaming everything on Demon Sodium, the mother and Megan's favorite color of pink, so their home looks like Pepto Bismol hosed their house down, and Megan's mother open mouthed look of love at Dr. Now.   

The 'chef salad' Mommy made for Megan was epic.   A giant bowl of iceberg lettuce, topped with a full package of bacon, a ton of shredded cheese, and a ton of dressing (yes, 'ton of dressing' is a horrible pun).   

Megan's main trauma is her half sisters didn't like her (She called them step sisters, but the last time it was figured out that they were her older half sisters through her mother), and her parents divorce, but at age 11 she was over 300 lbs. when the divorce happened.     Megan also had a previous history of blood clots, and that damaged one lung, so she wasn't a good candidate for surgery.   She's the one who goes to visit the father at his nursing home/rehab, and they order in a huge meal from Pizza Hut.     She seemed to confuse calories, and fat with sodium.  If she ever gets gall bladder surgery, that Pizza Hut meal will make her really sick, of course her chef salad would too. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 4/2/2020 at 5:51 AM, winsomeone said:

The mother seemed so dull. And yet she said she was a pharmacy assistant? 

I re-watched last night and was stunned when they revealed mother's "profession" as a pharmacy tech!!  Don't they have to take some sort of certification exams to be placed in that highly precise and sensitive career?  

Perhaps circumstances have dictated mom intellectually declining in the intervening years.  What I saw last night gave me no confidence I would receive the correct medication in the proper dosage levels with mom at the helm in preparation.  However, I believe that the actual pharmacist checks each and every completed prescription prepared by the tech...so there's that.

Megan was handed quite a compromised card in the game of Life....may she continue on her path toward wellness.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:51 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is the first Houston visit is to get a real weight, complete medical history, their initial psychiatric clearance, and a lot of tests, and a meeting with the nutritionist/dietician. 

I was surprised Dr. Now didn't immediately sign megan up for sessions with Lola (in 2020 that's who he used for his patients).  No reference was ever made about going for psychotherapy.