Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Penny Pinching

Last week I forgot it was on altogether, and then thankfully caught the rerun.  This week, I thought it was on at 7:00 (oops, 6:30), and then thankfully caught the rerun.  One of these weeks I'll be sober and wide awake when watching.  Until then ...

Despite having seen it in promos, the opening restaurant scene amused me: "You are making everyone uncomfortable" and "We have to order now to get Happy Hour price" were great, but I especially love Elena's face in response to everything that transpired; in a sea of more-prominent talent, the young actor nailed it via "acting is reacting".

I would like to know what couch on Earth has enough vertical space for a person on a creeper to fit underneath, but Penelope's reaction to Schneider popping out from under it was worth it.

And I want (Cheetos) Puffs so bad, but we can't leave the house other than for essential business; grrr, because I'm with Penelope on how fucking great it is to plop down on the couch with a bag of those delights.

There were other seemingly simple but funny gags:

"Would you like to open a store credit card?"
"Does it have zero interest? Because I do."

The visual illustration of raptor foot by Dr. B.

"I don't know what [the pigeon] ate, but it didn't agree with him."

One catastrophe away from being broke - and a ripoff not being a catastrophe (not just funny, but very real).

The end scene, where Penny's tears wipe right off the fabric-protected couch as everyone starts fantasizing about purchases to supplement the couch.

• Love 4

Penelope was absolutely right to object to the restaurant check. Doing so in a less public way would have been preferable, though, under the circumstances.

I'm glad they're acknowledging that she'd be making very good money as a nurse practitioner in California.

Interesting that even in an episode that's ostensibly about meeting Alex's girlfriend, they still end up focusing more on Elena.

• Love 2

I'm out. This is one of the biggest piece of shit shows I have seen in a while. I was excited it was coming to TV since I wasn't able to watch it before but... like I already said, WHY is this show "One Day at a Time" not a thing like the original. Disney for "grown-ups". Trashy jokes, ugh, never mind. Just don't see what all the hype is for, in my opinion: crap.🤢

5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I'm glad they're acknowledging that she'd be making very good money as a nurse practitioner in California.

Glassdoor says $132K is the average base pay for nurse practitioners in LA. So yes, Penny, buy the couch!

All four of my grandparents lived through the Depression and came from big families so I saw the scarcity mentality with them. My grandmother washed aluminum foil and wrapped gifts in newspaper and used teabags at least twice. 

When Penny asked the restaurant manager if he thought it was the first time she'd complained to the manager and he said " ... I definitely do not," I died. I also cracked up at the crabs joke even though it was obvious. 

The kid who plays Alex is going to be really good-looking when he's grown.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, msrachelj said:

like I already said, WHY is this show "One Day at a Time" not a thing like the original.

Given that Norman Lear also produces this reboot, he has given it his blessing, so it is One Day at a Time. And I’m glad it is because it’s awesome. 

• Love 11
On 4/1/2020 at 2:34 PM, msrachelj said:

I'm out. This is one of the biggest piece of shit shows I have seen in a while. I was excited it was coming to TV since I wasn't able to watch it before but... like I already said, WHY is this show "One Day at a Time" not a thing like the original. Disney for "grown-ups". Trashy jokes, ugh, never mind. Just don't see what all the hype is for, in my opinion: crap.🤢

I highly recommend that you find the other three seasons somehow and watch from the beginning. This is one of those shows that sneaks up on you. By halfway through the first season you will be hooked and the season one finale is basically perfect. You will laugh, you will cry, you will grow to love these characters. 

It does have more of network sitcom feel now, but I (and others here, I'm confident in saying 🙂)  already love these people so this is all bonus for me. 

Reboots are often changed from the source material to freshen the story and appeal to a modern audience. The MacGyver reboot does not bear much resemblance to the original, and in fact I enjoy it much more than the first, which was highly overrated IMO, even taking into account the time period. But I digress...😁

• Love 5
On 4/1/2020 at 4:02 PM, Empress1 said:

When Penny asked the restaurant manager if he thought it was the first time she'd complained to the manager and he said " ... I definitely do not," I died.

Same, the delivery from both of them cracked me up. And, yes Penny you fight for that 13 dollars. Please believe that if I give you my order at 5:55, you are giving me half price as advertised.

I enjoyed this as a little bridge episode, another detour into how the family's lives are changing on a more upwardly mobile swing. The old couch breaking in half got an actual gasp out of me it was so surprising and funny. But, I'm ready for some real plot to kick in. I know they probably want to ease in any new viewers, but the episodes are already shorter than they were on Netflix, and there's so many characters that deserve focus; the less wheel spinning they can do the better.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:09 PM, Gothish520 said:

I highly recommend that you find the other three seasons somehow and watch from the beginning. This is one of those shows that sneaks up on you. By halfway through the first season you will be hooked and the season one finale is basically perfect. You will laugh, you will cry, you will grow to love these characters. 

Oh girl, bless you for bothering.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Honestly this was the first time I thought Penny was out of line especially with Elena.   Yes Elena messes up but her reaction was way out of proportion.  It was like it was a catastrophe that would make them all broke and homeless.  I get she has issues with money but Elena made a mistake she she didn’t kill someone.   

plus she acted cheap the first time she met her sons girlfriend.  That set up things badly right from the start.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1