Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The Johnsons welcome an African American family that has just moved into their mostly white neighborhood; Santamonica doesn't get along with the new neighbor's daughter, until she gives Santamonica attitude.

Airs February 25, 2020.

Loved Harrison going out of his way to find Bow and comfort her, casually handing her a Kleenex, giving her advice, and making fun of her dad just to keep things light. All the while he's trying (but not really) to sell the house. The character just gets a kick out of being obnoxious, and I love that they all see past it and ignore that part of him.

The song towards the end of the show is probably my favorite part of every episode. It's always something amazing from the mid 80s that brings me back to my own 80s experience. "We Belong" was perfect. (And for some reason I didn't know Bryce was spelled with a y.)

Love this show. 

• Love 8

Aw so sad for Rainbow, having her first boyfriend move away after only a month. Still holding out for adult Bryce on Blackish.

Flex popping up as the new neighbor was a blast from the past! Wow.

Also is it me or in this episode did Paul dress a little less extra-hippieish? Or maybe the shirts just fit a little tighter.

• Love 5

Another enjoyable episode. Was Harrison implying that Bryce's family was moving away because another black family moved into the neighborhood? Sad for Bow losing her first boyfriend.

Loved seeing someone Santamonica can't bully. I would like to see more of the new neighbor kid (Nicki?).

• Love 6

Great episode!  When Alicia went over to the neighbor for the "play date", it was the first time I thought that adult Rainbow did become like her mom.  I could see Rainbow doing that on an Blackish. 

• Love 4

Dang, that up and down look Santamonica gave the new neighbor girl when she said she liked reading. Of course aspiring future Real Housewife Santi took it as an insult.

I think Bow's school friends are truly awful.

Do people actually try to chug cognac? That sounds like esophageal damage waiting to happen.

So Bryce's family were White Flight-ers. Poor Bow.

Wait, did new neighbor girl grow up to be Santi's niece, Diane? She was ice cold scary! 😐

• Love 1

Awwwww, poor Bow. She's only been dating Bryce for a month and she's already losing him. Moving a few towns away is a HUGE barrier when you're that age because you're totally dependent on your parents to drive you anywhere. And yes, they can write letters and call each other but it's not the same. As sad as I am to see Rainbow lose such a nice boy, I liked the subtle reminder of what life was like before you could text/email/skype/Facetime constantly. Moving away basically meant losing your boyfriend. Hell, my best friend moved to the next town (she was in the same school district but at a different school) and that essentially ended our friendship because we never saw each other anymore.

• Love 2

I think Bow's school friends are truly awful.

I think she's a pretty impressive kid, to have united three such different girls in friendship.

So Bryce's family were White Flight-ers. Poor Bow.

That was Harrison's first thought, but I doubt they could have unloaded the house that fast.

Yes, letters are an option. I thought Alicia should have just written one to the neighbor (and left off the return address).

• Love 2

I think they tolerate each other because few others will, and right now Bow is an easy target for their barely-veiled venom.

I don't think the advice was the main problem but rather the way they were taking advantage of her gullibility and need to feel a part of the group, even if it's at her expense.

It'll be interesting to see how long Bow remains in their group. I imagine if she ever leaves, the clique will either disintegrate or they'll latch onto another socially inept girl they think they can control.

So sad that Bryce is moving and that Bow had to say goodbye to him. I hope that they can keep up with letters and visits, but it wont be the same, a few towns over is a HUGE barrier when your a kid, especially in a time without texting and Skype and such. At least Bow managed to have pretty much the best first boyfriend that a kid can ask for. I still kind of want an adult Bryce to  show up or get referenced on Black-ish, and he is super successful and awesome and Dre feels like Bow traded down with him...

The running joke with Harrison and the property value was both sad and hilarious. "Nothing is going to change" As he is measuring Bows room. The music cue at the end was really nice too, this show always reminds me of 80s songs that I dont hear very much, but am always happy to be reminded of! 

Santi might have just met her match.

• Love 3
On 2/26/2020 at 2:17 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

Also is it me or in this episode did Paul dress a little less extra-hippieish? Or maybe the shirts just fit a little tighter.

Yeah they've been playing with him moving to more "normal" clothes. He is actually wearing jeans (acid wash but...) sometimes so I guess he is assimilating. And on a shallow note, I don't mind the tighter clothes.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

I still kind of want an adult Bryce to  show up or get referenced on Black-ish, and he is super successful and awesome and Dre feels like Bow traded down with him...

Yessss. We need this!

• Love 1