Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Was It Your Ears?

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

As Avenue 5 celebrates the birth of a space baby, Ryan and Billie try to identify the source of an incessant beeping, and Judd shares his latest grand idea at Karen’s passenger-crew liaison meeting. In the nation’s capital, Rav appeals to the President for rescue funds but, in exchange, is faced with an ethical dilemma.

Airing Sunday, February 23, 2020.

That was pretty bad.

The whole waste of time tracking down the beeping sound was ridiculous.
And way too much time was focused on Judd and his issues.  Plus, it was just creepy with Judd and Matt in the delivery room -- WTF ?

Apparently none of the engineering staff read the manual to know what that beeping sound was.  So how come the ship's air systems didn't need to be re-calibrated after 4 people died.  With the baby being born, the Avenue 5 is down 3 people, so it shouldn't need to be re-calibrated at all.  Did the writers not think of that ?

Yes, illuminating the orbiting ring of shit, that will solve everything.

And what was deal with the Alexa-like co-president ?  That was incredibly stupid.
And why did the White House in Buffalo appear to be run by college students ?

• Love 5

Karen couldn't shut her Karen mouth. Isn't that like the default setting for Karens? 😉

One shot to the soft spot and that baby's down for the count.

Two presidents. This is a dystopian comedy apparently. 🙄

Since more people on the ship would affect the rate of oxygen depletion it would seem they'd want to limit how many more babies are born. Not sure if there'd be a legal way to do that though.

So the 500 people thing is going to be a running plot point?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And what was deal with the Alexa-like co-president ?  That was incredibly stupid.

Does an Alexa-like co-president really seem so strange?  We are talking about 40 years from now.  Think about it, even now you can't call any company/government office without an Alexa-type prompting you through whatever matter you called about. In fact, getting things taken care off without ever talking to a real live person has become so common that now it is something we take for granted.  So, the idea that in 40 years there will be A.I. officials making decisions just doesn’t seem that farfetched.

Also, not college students...

Nerds. The new elite class.  Today we'd call a young Judd-type a nerd...in 40 years we'd probably be calling someone like him Secretary of Commerce.

Edited by PentaHookUp
  • Love 1

I took it as a nod to Idiocracy.

I can totally relate to being driven crazy trying to figure out where a beeping sound is coming from. I had a similar experience not too long ago with a phone alert for voicemail. I was going crazy thinking either the microwave oven or one of the smoke detectors was doing it. Or even my cable box.

There were some good parts here. I chuckled at Karen cutting off Iris every time during the baby speech. And everyone's reaction to the name they finally picked. 

At the end of the day, though, I'm surprised the show was renewed. Probably based on the star power behind it more than anything else. Looks like only one more episode for this season.

They had a 9-month air supply left.  Why were they getting so lethargic?  They were acting as if the air shortage had already kicked in. 

I think the point was that the beeping was keeping everyone awake, which is why everyone was so punchy. Not because they were running out of air, although that was a concurrent running joke, with everyone trying to conserve oxygen in some way.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think the point was that the beeping was keeping everyone awake, which is why everyone was so punchy. Not because they were running out of air, although that was a concurrent running joke, with everyone trying to conserve oxygen in some way.

Makes sense; especially with the captain curling up and taking a nap at the end.

Also someone said even the baby isn't sleeping and the captain said "Eff the baby, he's in an incubator and those things are soundproof." There was also a shot of the captain trying to drown out the sound but duct-taping a pillow around his head.

What did they end up naming the space baby" Cayden? Something like that. And then Mia yelled "that's an asshole name" or something like that. Can't remember the exact line, or name, but totally agreed at the time.

6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So the 500 people thing is going to be a running plot point?

Probably as a cautionary tale for all those  who are always trying to get something for nothing.

"NEP" is just another way of saying "the ones who didn't pay". 

Probably as a cautionary tale for all those  who are always trying to get something for nothing.

??? Not sure if serious. 🤔 Unless I missed a plot point about there being 500 stowaways on the ship, I think all the passengers are entitled to expect to keep living until the voyage is over. That comes with the cost of the ticket, no?

However, I can see some people considering themselves more important and more worthy than those 500 slobs who might need to be jettisoned or whatever. Basic elitism. (The silly sci-fi movie "2012" depicts this mentality rather well, IMO. I've occasionally wondered if the people behind this show got some ideas from that movie.)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They showed the main characters really weary so I think it's fair to say the entire ship was deprived. I liked the No Flouncing rule, quiet talking, etc. It's all just so silly. 

The comedian always trying to tell a joke about shoehorns keeps cracking me up. 

The extra six months of travel was due to the additional 500 lottery winners so I figured that's where it came from. 

I did like Karen talking about the murder all the time. 

There was a quick reference to Pennsylvania 'before the fires'. I would really like to know what the world is like. 

• Love 2
On 2/24/2020 at 7:18 AM, AnimeMania said:

At the very end of the episode after the astronaut says good night to the ship/room it looks like something falls over. I was watching on a tiny screen and couldn't see what it was, what was it?

That was Karen's head -- she was sitting at the table in that room and apparently fell asleep.

Just now, ottoDbusdriver said:
On 2/24/2020 at 7:18 AM, AnimeMania said:

At the very end of the episode after the astronaut says good night to the ship/room it looks like something falls over. I was watching on a tiny screen and couldn't see what it was, what was it?

That was Karen's head -- she was sitting at the table in that room and apparently fell asleep.

That's not good, her husband already thinks she is having an affair with the captain.

The main question for me is, who signs up for an 8 week space trip while that pregnant?

It was bad enough that the crew confided in Karen in the first place.  Why would they bring in that bickering couple as well? All of these people can be the first of the 500 to be jettisoned out into space.  And send that Jack Black - Vince Neil hybrid with them. 

• Love 3

It was bad enough that the crew confided in Karen in the first place.  Why would they bring in that bickering couple as well? All of these people can be the first of the 500 to be jettisoned out into space.

Yeah that didn't make any sense. I know this is a comedy and this was supposed to be some kind of experimental crew-passenger liaison thing but if they're trying the prevent widespread panic about the oxygen leak these are the last two people on earth to tell. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

The main question for me is, who signs up for an 8 week space trip while that pregnant?

I doubt if things have changed that much is 40 years.  So, the First Space Baby would, no doubt, be worth a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.  Let's not forget the media/talk show circuit/books/line of clothes/endorsements/reality series/movie rights/etc.

On the other hand, since he is in an incubator...had breathing problems...probably premature.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:47 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Plus, it was just creepy with Judd and Matt in the delivery room -- WTF ?

I must admit that Iris' line about Judd "executive producing" the delivery was pretty funny...and Judd being in the delivery while surprising; was so Judd-like.

As for Matt; he has no “filter”.  So, nothing he says or does surprises me.  Ever see a movie where someone is on a ledge threatening to jump?  Well, Matt would be that person down in the crowd yelling:  Come on, you know you wanna to do it!

Edited by PentaHookUp
On 2/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, iMonrey said:

What did they end up naming the space baby" Cayden? Something like that. And then Mia yelled "that's an asshole name" or something like that. Can't remember the exact line, or name, but totally agreed at the time.

CC showed it as "Kayden".

According to one of those baby-name sites: the meaning of the name Kayden is Fighter. 

On 2/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, iMonrey said:

Happened to run across this comment on a baby-name site:

“My sister was an elementary teacher in St. Louis and was calling out names on the first day and came across "La-a" she said it just how it looks and a little girl stood up with much attitude and said,

"It's Ladasha, you pronounce the dash!”

Sometimes the real is more 😕 than the made up.

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't want to believe that. 

Believe what...

(1) That the incident happened as described?

(2) That someone named their kid "La-a"; pronounced "Ladasha."?

We know parents (and not just celebrities) name their kids some weird stuff; otherwise we wouldn't have names such as:

• Abcde (didn't believe it either)
  • Abstinence
  • Audio Science (sounds like something Matt would have named the baby)
  • Clitis
  • Colon
  • Danger
  • Derfla (Alfred spelled backward for a girl)
  • Dweezil
  •  Facebook
  •  Jermajesty
  • Moon Unit
  • Moxie Crimefighter:
  • Phelony

In comparison, Kayden is looking pretty good right about now.

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I remember the comic Tom Lehrer remarking that some parents had named their son (as he spelled it out) H-e-n-three r-y.  And then he interjected "The 3 was silent, you see."  That was back when that would have been an oddity.

So outlandish yesterday = so commonplace today.

The thing is, in the US there are very few restrictions that limit what you can name a kid.  So, parents can pretty much tag them with whatever pops into their head (you should see some of the names I left of the list for fear of being deleted). 

You know, speaking of things popping into a person's head, it’s kind of scary to think what an idiotic, clueless, egomaniac like Judd would name an offspring.

Edited by PentaHookUp

Another one-of-a-kind baby name to add to the 😖 list:

X (first name) AE A-XII (middle name)

Of course, I could have edited it into the previous list; but, surely a name that has managed to out-unique them all deserves its own space.