Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: The Book of Markovia: Chapter Four: Grab the Strap

Trini
  • Start Topic

Black Lightning and his team descend upon Markovia on a mission to rescue Lynn who finds herself in even more trouble when she meets Gravedigger (guest star Wayne Brady), a metahuman on the Markovian side.

Salim Akil directed the episode written by Charles D. Holland & Asheleigh O. Conley.

Airdate: 2/10/2020.

Edited by Trini

My biggest complaint about this episode is that everyone in this episode didn't get their own costume. Why have The Pierce family suit but everyone elses' identities are on full display?

But great episode, it was so refreshing to see the flight to Markovia as opposed to Arrow where it we rarely saw them travel long distances, it just took them a blink and you're half way across the world. 

This show does a great job of giving everyone their own scene to really shine. Everyone got a "power" scene to show off how badass they were.

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 4

Looks like we have a happy ending. Was Tobias left behind? Well, then it's a happier ending.

Like @Primal Slayer said, most of the characters had their individual moments with their abilities. Lynn got to dupe her captors ("Oh, shit! It's Wayne Brady, son!!!") and escape. And Jefferson got to smack fools around. Oh, and Dr. Jace almost got killed. I mean, she seems to be making an honest effort to look human, but it's like she's wearing a shredded human face over her own intact face. It's still oddly fun to watch, though.

• Love 5

Gonna have to watch this again undistracted. Where Jace and Tobias ended up was unclear/not shown.

And yeah, they did a fairly good job of giving everyone something to do, considering that the team was pretty big (well, big for one TV plot).

Umm -- so TC can deactivate Erica's chip, but not Khalil's?? And only 'Painkiller' can poison people - not Khalil? Yeah, that's a retcon.

Most of the fights were cool; I wish they had more combos of powers, though.

Liked Jefferson's solo scene at the start. They've done that for all the Pierce family members now. Also liked that Lynn was able to (partly) save herself. And yes, LOL to Jace trying to act normal with Lynn!

I gotta admit I really thought they were going have Jen and Brandon have a romance, but they surprised me by keeping them friends. But with Khalil back and taking up more screentime with Jen, I think they need to have Brandon connect to another character also.

• Love 2

Wayne Brady!  I heard he was suppose to show up at some point this season!  I'm guessing/hoping Jefferson only rendered him unconscious at the end, because I hope we get more of him.  Gravedigger is clearly a villain to not trifle with, has he not only has mind control powers, but fighting skills that are apparently superior to Khalil's.

Fun seeing almost everyone on a mission together (too bad they couldn't find some way to work in Henderson though), and everyone got a moment or two to shine.  Also liked all of the different character beats and interactions.  Really hope TC is sticking around, because he's been a fun addition so far.

Cress Williams acted the hell out of the opening act.

Yeah, where did Jace go?  And are they leaving Tobias behind after-all? 

• Love 3

Before I jump in.. As this crisis has brought lady eve back... Can we get Syonide back as well, that creepy lady was always interesting to me.. Anyway This was a fun episode... TC being a bit of a creep was hilarious and awkward... The fight tween gravedigger and Khalil was well done... Gambi and Jefferson had some good moments... We got that O'Jays song in the open ( the music to open is always spot on)... I'm looking fwd to how it goes with Brandon and Dr. Jace and how they seem to be re-imagining the Prince Brion story... I'm glad Erica is still around as she's been one of the Pod Kids Lynn has tried to save from the jump.. I hope they get a scene together before this is all done... 

• Love 3

Very good episode! I'm so glad the family is all back together again. I thought they were going to leave without Jefferson and Lynn when Gravedigger showed up at the end. Gravedigger is a very good villain.

Brandon is going to be highly upset with that ASA guy for pulling him away from killing Dr Jace. Brandon also needs to find a quicker way to execute his power - it seems very slow, but powerful.

That fight between Khalil and Gravedigger was good, but had me so uneasy. I kept thinking whenever Khalil was losing, he was going to ask Painkiller for help, but luckily he didn't. So, no Painkiller....for right now.

Also, it seems Anissa really is not here for Khalil being alive. She doesn't trust him at all, which I dont blame her because she's worried about her little sister. Im wondering whether there's going to be some kind face off between she and Khalil.

Next week it seems we're getting a Pierce Family Dinner! 😁

• Love 3
On 2/10/2020 at 10:43 PM, Trini said:

Gonna have to watch this again undistracted. Where Jace and Tobias ended up was unclear/not shown.

Umm -- so TC can deactivate Erica's chip, but not Khalil's?? And only 'Painkiller' can poison people - not Khalil? Yeah, that's a retcon.

I saw Dr. Jace tied up on the helicopter, but yes- I too am not sure where Tobias is. I didn't see him, and he wasn't discussed at all. So confused.

My guess is that TC could deactivate Erica's chip because she wasn't dead/near dead when it was installed? Either that, or else Khalil's programming was much more near-total than hers. Something like that.

I was also confused about the poison; I thought last ep he said that he couldn't even touch anyone any longer b/c it was out of control. But then he shakes hands with Jefferson, so dunno.

Enjoyable episode. They did a pretty good job showcasing the entire team, including their conflicts. Brandon's character is a bit one-note to me; he's always angry. I hope they give him some more to work with (although it may be the actor, too; he isn't very expressive).

• Love 3

A couple other things:

It was just very weird to see everyone just hanging out at the ASA facility, when this is the same organization that has screwed over, tried to screw over, or will screw over nearly every one of the team members. I know that they had to work together, but still.

Forgot to talk about Gravedigger; I don't think I've ever seen Wayne Brady in a dramatic role before. I thought he did a good job as a villain, and with the stunt scenes.

Better look at his comics-accurate scar:

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

I have to add as I meant too earlier.. I did laugh and shake my head at everyone wearing all black in so many different ways... I think TC was in cargo pants and Brandon had a shawl... Anissa had.. I dunno what it was.. But it was flowwy... 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I have to add as I meant too earlier.. I did laugh and shake my head at everyone wearing all black in so many different ways... I think TC was in cargo pants and Brandon had a shawl... Anissa had.. I dunno what it was.. But it was flowwy... 

LOL! I forgot to mention also: what's the male version of a fashionista? Because whatever Brandon was wearing was like the opposite of a tactical outfit:

• Love 1

Oh shit, its Wayne Brady son! That was a really good episode, the big storming of the facility was really exciting, and they used everyone's different powers and dynamics really well throughout. I am guessing that Gravedigger was just knocked out, he is too cool of a potential villain to be dead so fast, and Wayne Brady was too good to let go after just on episode! 

I love watching Doctor Jace try to act like a normal person, its like watching an alien try to understand the ways of the humans. 

TK is still one of my favorites, love him awkwardly trying to fix Erica's chip, seems he still struggles with the whole human interaction thing. Erica's little excited jump and cheer when she broke through the door then trying to look professional was cute, I really hope that they get the kids away from the ASA soon. 

Did Brandon just go on the mission to kill Dr. Jace, or was it just a convenient side mission? I was pretty sure that he and Jenn would become a thing, but it seems like they are just friends for now. Of course, its always awkward when your ex boyfriend returns from the dead to join your away mission!

• Love 3
On 2/15/2020 at 2:48 PM, tennisgurl said:

Did Brandon just go on the mission to kill Dr. Jace, or was it just a convenient side mission?

I think it was his plan from the start, that's why he was refusing to be part of any of the plans they came up with but still insisted on coming along. He didn't want them making a plan that counted on him because he knew he was going to abandon it to go after Jace.

• Love 5