Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Act Of God

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

still suspect that Michelle's sister isnt really dead or in trouble

Maybe Michelle’s sister just needed a break from Michelle, heh. 

5 hours ago, UnknownK said:

When I was younger my understanding was to crack open some windows so that when the tornado came close the air pressure had a chance to slowly drop and not cause the house to explode. No idea if that had any truth to it.

Yeah, when I moved back to the flat lands after 20 years in the mountains, I was surprised to learn that they no longer recommended opening a window (was it on the east side of the house? or the west?) to relieve air pressure during a tornado warning. It was yet another one of those moments like discovering there is no tooth fairy at summer camp that made me skeptical of a lot of advice.

4 hours ago, meatball77 said:

The windows thing is a myth.  People don't die from tornados because they're sucked up, they die because things fall on them, like the roof of a house.

Even though it is no longer recommended to open a window during a tornado warning, I do recall when I was living in a rented room in the downtown of a town with buildings just tall enough to not be the place where a tornado would touch down, that right when the tornado went overhead, all of my papers in front of my window were sucked up against it. I was really glad it wasn't open too wide for them to all go out the window. Moments later the guy working in the store downstairs came running up, all freaked out because the same thing happened there.
A friend told me the next day he was walking down my street at that moment and that he saw the tornado go overhead down the street. 
So I can see how the now-debunked window advice started.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I thought it was funny though after all the legitimately heroic stuff done during the episode what was put on camera was a fireman handing out water.  I think that was kinda the joke.  Not a Muslim woman being prideful because she is still human and enjoys her job.   But after doing a legit action stunt to turn around and have the cameras be off to be exasperated for a second is very human.

I disagree that it was a normal emotion to have at that moment. Not one of the FF's I know do this for any type of attention-grabbing, get-on-tv-heroics.  This annoys me so much about her.  You should not be in this line of work if all you care about is getting press coverage. 

On 2/4/2020 at 12:09 PM, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, as a mother of 3, I would not have gone back for Casper (our cat in the 90s when my kids were young) even though I would have mourned his loss *if* he had not survived --which he might have.

I would risk life and limb for my dogs.  No questions. I know that may be selfish, but I would do it without even hesitation. And yes, I have children.  Albeit, adults now, but still.  

On 2/5/2020 at 9:34 AM, HunterHunted said:

My work (45th and Lamar) does have tornado sirens, but the city doesn't. During a tornado siren drill at work, we all ran outside. No one knew what they were. We were all told we were dead at the end of the drill because it was actually a tornado siren.

That's pretty funny.  Reminds me of the time, shortly after we moved into the same home we live in now, and I heard a siren that I had never heard before.  I'm originally from Minnesota.  To me, that sound meant tornado, but I had never heard it since I had moved to Massachusetts.  I called my husband, who was actually working at the firestation at that moment and held the phone out the window and said "what's this?".  He said (being the jokester that he is) said "Get out of the house!  It's a tornado siren!".  I panicked, but stood where I was because you don't run outside in a tornado and I was like "What??".  He started laughing and said it was the call siren for the next town over to call the volunteer firefighters in.  I was 8 months pregnant at the time and I told him that I almost went into labor, lol.  He never tried to scare me again. 

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was thinking it should have been the star player's jersey number, but, now that you mention it, a year is four digits, which combinations are these days.

I totally thought the jersey behind the girl was going to play into it since it was so prominently in the scene. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe Michelle’s sister just needed a break from Michelle, heh. 

LOL. Now I'm hoping Michelle is kidnapped to give me (and this show) a break from her.

I would think cracking open a window during a tornado would (maybe) keep the windows from breaking out if the tornado went overhead. Never gave a thought that it would suck papers out. Next tornado, I'm opening all my windows in hopes it sucks all the junk and garbage out and takes it away. Would save me hours of cleaning.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 2/4/2020 at 1:49 PM, iMonrey said:

I wondered the same thing. I suppose this is the show's way of defying stereotypes, but they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. She's devout enough to insist on wearing the hijab but also wants to be a camera whore because she enjoys the fame and adulation. Pick a lane, lady.

I always thought it was her way of trying to show the public that Muslims are good and helpful people, not terrorists, but I’m not sure why I think that. It was never on the show. 

On 2/4/2020 at 4:09 PM, DearEvette said:

to that I liked Judd's concession to go back to church on Sunday but to draw the line at Tuesday bible study.  I feel you there Judd.

Don’t forget—no praise hands!

On 2/4/2020 at 9:54 PM, saber5055 said:

Michelle's mom had to call her at work to come home RIGHT AWAY because the shed didn't blow down in the storm? Geezy pete, writers.

Judd is my fav character. I like him, I like the actor, I like his dialogue, I like his relationship with his wife. He and Rob Lowe own this series.

I thought it was going to be the tornado uncovered a body that was possibly the sister’s. Stupid still standing shed is not worthy of a ‘come home ASAP’ phone call. 

I too love Judd.  Sexy AF!

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

I thought it was going to be the tornado uncovered a body that was possibly the sister’s.

Exactly my thought too. Or, the shed was still standing because it had been reinforced to turn it into a mausoleum containing assorted corpses.

"Look! We've been searching all over for sis and she's been right here in the back yard the whole time! Who knew?"

• Love 2
10 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

We can only pray that Raylan will show up and shoot him.

OMGosh, that would improve this show tenfold if Raylan Givens showed up and joined the FD or the medics. Either one, I don't care. I think he's available ...

• Love 2
On 2/4/2020 at 4:09 PM, DearEvette said:

I love Judd and Grace's dynamic.  They actually feel like a married couple.  Since Judd's storyine and character is so interesting, I am not too mad that for now she is his support system mostly, since I think it is done well within the context of  their marriage.  But I agree the actress just comes across as so grounded and together it would be nice for Grace to get some shine of her own.  I do like how they are portraying her wrt to her faith.  A lot of times tv wants to emphasize the more radicalized parts of evangelical Christianity or make people obnoxious bible thumpers.  But she just comes off like just a  person who happens to go to church and believes in God. Added to that I liked Judd's concession to go back to church on Sunday but to draw the line at Tuesday bible study.  I feel you there Judd.

Judd and Grace are why I decided to check this show out. And I really have fallen for Grace and I love their dynamic as well. I like that we see them communicating and we even see Judd listening.

I too love the way they are portraying Grace as a Christian. She wasn't beating Judd over the head or being judgmental. She spoke the truth in love and sadly that is what is missing too often.

• Love 1