Type keyword(s) to search

Heartland Docs, DVM - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What I saw looked interested. The couple  seems to be a very good team together (please don't them be another Flip or Flop)- and the episode I saw showed how animals often have longterm affects from floods and other catastrophes which I have to admit I never put much thought into. However, it's good that the vets were there to help out their neighbors try to save as many of their afflicted lifestock as possible.

While the family seems to get along fine here with no real issues that I can see, I did have to wonder why the husband's father had evidently retired from the vet practice he'd founded. He doesn't seem that old or with any kind of physical challenge and he still has a loyal clientele who appeared to miss him but are willing to give his son and daughter-in-law a fair chance.  I think I'll keep this show in mind.

And just wanting to retire and relax is a perfectly crommulent reason to retire!  But vet practice is incredibly demanding, both physically (especially if one works with livestock) and emotionally (especially if one works with beloved family pets).  There's starting to be some publicity about the fact that veterinarians have the highest suicide rate of any profession.  So if Dad is setting a good mental health example by retiring while he's still able to be physically active and enjoy life, good on him.  Besides, he's probably in his 60's or close to it, so it's not like it's all that unusual for someone his age to retire if s/he can afford to do so.

• Love 2

While they teen boys seems quite helpful at this time, I have to wonder if all this experience will inspire them to make it a 3-generation operation and eagerly go to vet school to do it or will one or both of them just run off to the city and work in an office so they never have to deal with animals again! 

I like the show. I'm enjoying the large animal stuff. Patiently waiting for the Corgi puppy we see in the promos. Sassy Corgi puppies are one of life's gifts.

This community seems more prosperous than some other communities we've seen on other shows. I wonder if there's a big city with jobs not too far away. My friends who farm fulltime also have jobs as an economic necessity.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

I'm liking this show. The husband and wife seem to be good together. He's always smiling and I like that they have the kids help out. They are a bit more modern than Doc Pol as far as equipment goes, but country vets just the same. 

• Love 2
On 1/30/2020 at 6:11 AM, pasdetrois said:

I'm watching but haven't formed an opinion yet. So far, so good.

Same here.  They seem to be trying to "act" too much.   Kids aren't really very interesting to me.  I don't imagine that would have been the first time the kid helped with motility checking in a bull--else they wouldn't have filmed it.

This is probably a UO and maybe I’ve just watched too many episodes of Yukon vet & Dr Pol, but I think I’m kind of over watching a white vet family sticking their hands up cows butts and horses butts. 

Speaking as a POC, I wouldn’t mind a vet show with a POC vet, set in a metropolitan city or something. I’m kind of over prolapsed cow uterus. More goats though, please. 

1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Speaking as a POC, I wouldn’t mind a vet show with a POC vet, set in a metropolitan city or something.

Check out The Vet Life on Animal Planet.  It's a great show about a great practice in Houston run by three black vets who met at Tuskegee's veterinary school and formed a friendship as well as a practice that continues to this day (and the practice has recently expanded to a second location) - a practice into which they've hired other vets, including women, and offered internships/residencies to students from their alma mater.  They see mostly small animals, but they do make livestock calls.  The rarity and particulars of being black vets is not a weekly focus, but is not ignored.  They're also all married to great (black) women, with all three families close, so the home life segments are enjoyable, too.

• Love 1

Oh my, that feral cat Spot SO reminded me of my Spot. The two look a lot alike, though my girl has her face spot next to her eye instead of her nose. Mine came to me with 4 kittens about 18 years ago - starved, ear mites, abcess wound on front shoulder - and yes, bad tooth. Weighed less than 5 pounds at first vet visit. Here's my Spotty

Spotty_20080131_0058sm.JPG

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5

Another nice person looking out for the feral cats! 🙂

I know how the couple with the Jack Russell felt. I have a blind cat, Aemon Targaryen, who is epileptic too. Those seizures are frightening. Aemon takes phenobarbital to control them.

I’m glad Erin and her son got those two senior dogs. They were adorable.

Another nice small town couple named Ben and Erin! 😁

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1

Let me put it out there, while Drs. Ben and Erin Schroeder seem very hands-on and friendly to both their animal patients and human clients, I have to say that in spite of his Dr. Ben Schroeder's sometimes casual attire during housecalls or in the practice, I appreciate it that he actually wears full surgical caps and gowns when OPERATING on his patients (unlike Dr. Pol or Dr. Jeff Young). Just because the patients are animals doesn't mean one shouldn't take every precaution to either keep one's microbes from getting into patients' surgical cuts or risking patients' microbes from getting on one's person. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

Let me put it out there, while Drs. Ben and Erin Schroeder seem very hands-on and friendly to both their animal patients and human clients, I have to say that in spite of his Dr. Ben Schroeder's sometimes casual attire during housecalls or in the practice, I appreciate it that he actually wears full surgical caps and gowns when OPERATING on his patients (unlike Dr. Pol or Dr. Jeff Young). Just because the patients are animals doesn't mean one shouldn't take every precaution to either keep one's microbes from getting into patients' surgical cuts or risking patients' microbes from getting on one's person. 

Some rural vets don't seem to do it.  I do know clinics that have operating suites and gown up, but I think it is not the norm yet.  

I am beginning to like this show, but they are still "acting" too much.  Last week I heard her say "let's get an IV catheter in her."   Docs talking spontaneously would just say "IV."   At least that's my experience and thinking.

• Love 2

Yeah, they are very conscious of the cameras, but I guess most folks would be at first. Hopefully they will relax during a second season. The boys are kind of shoe-horned into some of the scenes.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Yeah, they are very conscious of the cameras, but I guess most folks would be at first. Hopefully they will relax during a second season. The boys are kind of shoe-horned into some of the scenes.

I remember how over the top Dr. Blue was during the first season of “The Vet Life.” He still has an ebullient personality but has settled down. 😁

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I remember how over the top Dr. Blue was during the first season of “The Vet Life.” He still has an ebullient personality but has settled down. 😁

Hmmmmmm, maybe I'll give that show another look. I watched a few episodes when it first came on, but got turned off on it....... same with the Colorado Henderson family of vets - way too much non-animal stuff and hated the chats whole sitting on the couch routine - only watched a couple episodes before the Hendersons was dropped from my DVR schedule

• Love 3
10 hours ago, SRTouch said:

Hmmmmmm, maybe I'll give that show another look. I watched a few episodes when it first came on, but got turned off on it....... same with the Colorado Henderson family of vets - way too much non-animal stuff and hated the chats whole sitting on the couch routine - only watched a couple episodes before the Hendersons was dropped from my DVR schedule

I like “The Vet Life.” One of my faves. I like “Hanging with the Hendersons,” too.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, SRTouch said:

My interpretation of The Vet Life when it started was, too much life, not enough vet.  I felt the same way about the Hendersons, and I stopped watching them for a time.  It seemed to me, though, at least with respect to The Vet Life, that they tweaked the formula, and there's a much better balance now between the cases and the personal stuff.  I still tend to fast forward through that, but it doesn't seem to be as annoying.  I will say that after giving the Hendersons a fighting chance, it just didn't click with me, and I won't be watching that if/when it comes back.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Kelly said:

I hate the husband vet.  I’ll see myself out.  🤣

To each one's own, but it might help to explain the reasons for your intense dislike of Dr. Ben Schroeder if you want (even if I don't wind up agreeing with them). 

• Love 2

I like this show so far. But I share the hope that they will relax with the cameras going if the show continues. I have to admit, I loved them for adopting those two older dogs, and I hope we see the dogs in future episodes.

I think the Schroeders are practical when it comes to sanitary procedures and seem more conscious of sterile protocols in the clinic than what I see in Dr. Pol's practice. IIRC when Ben operated on the calf with the hernia, he didn't take it into the clinic's OR because though I think they'd cleaned it up some, it was still covered in germs from the farmyard that he didn't want to bring into their clean OR. I think he did the surgery on a table in the clinic or its attached barn. 

Here's my take on a probable reason that Ben's dad retired from vet practice: health concerns. A large animal practice is physically demanding. If he's in his 60's, which I'd bet he is, if not his 70's, he may have worn out or racked up something like his back, or hips, or knees, or [insert body part here]. And he retired before getting worse. A lot of people with bad backs or other chronic painful conditions, don't look sick or disabled. My favorite dentist retired early because he'd developed heart disease - and he was a healthy weight and looked and acted very fit and vigorous. You just don't know from looking at people. 

OTOH, my guess about that is no better than anyone else's, and Ben's dad may have retired for reasons totally unrelated to health. 🤣

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I like that Dr. Erin worked so hard to treat that 14-year-old dog of the mother of the deceased daughter.  I only hope she treasures the time she has with that dog as much as possible instead of pinning everything on that dog living indefinitely. 

Also, good of them to work so hard to safe that newborn calf! I only hope the farm is raising beef instead of a dairy farm because the calf's life won't be very long since they don't need more than a bull or two around  (if that) for a dairy farm. 

Also,I like that they very carefully explain to their sons (and the viewers) each single step they are taking and WHY each part of the procedure is necessary. Yes, I know that they likely aren't entirely 'natural' oncamera but virtually every sighted person past infancy's personality changes when a camera gets pointed at them. 

• Love 3

I wonder how much those lipomas that Erin took off of that dog weighed. It was cool how she peeled that encapsulated tumor off.

When Erin was telling that lady that her cat would do fine with three legs, I kept thinking of Tater, the monarch of Pol Veterinary Services. 

• Love 2

I think this show would be better without the kids.  I know he is educating them, etc., but they aren't really enjoying it.  

I do like the vet tech personalities.

Compared to Dr. Pol and even Dr K and Dr. Oakley, Heartland Vets just lacks something.  Just not sure what.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I think this show would be better without the kids.  I know he is educating them, etc., but they aren't really enjoying it.  

I do like the vet tech personalities.

Compared to Dr. Pol and even Dr K and Dr. Oakley, Heartland Vets just lacks something.  Just not sure what.

I think talking/explaining things to the boys comes off as sort of artificial/forced. I always wonder if boys are just a device for talking to the tv audience/camera. I sort of like the explanations, they just don't seem natural.

When Dr Pol talks to youngsters about care of their animals he seems natural - you can tell he was doing it for years before the cameras arrived. The tv audience gets to hear his talks, but I always feel he'd be saying the same thing without the cameras. (Loved recent episode with Brenda showing boy how to use stethoscope.)

Dr Oakley has always been one of my favorites. Her daughters have always been a part of her show. Like with Doc Pol, when she explains to the girls something about the animal/treatment, she doesn't come off as forced. Maybe it helps that the girls seem to take it in stride, or even back talk under their breathe like - well, like, normal teenagers/kids would. Also, as the girls grew up, she's used them more and more as actual vet techs - again, acting natural. Dr Oakley does a good job telling the camera about the animals/treatments without it seeming forced - I think she'd be a good teacher.

All the above is not to be taken as my not liking the show - I'm just hoping they'll learn to forget the cameras and start acting more naturely........ 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3

They might be super charming in person, but they feel pretty bland and boring onscreen. I guess I care more about the animal cases than a husband/wife vet duo. And I definitely don't care about their sons.

And, like mentioned before, I feel like I'm all farmed out from 15 seasons of Dr. Pol, so Nebraska doesn't really strike my interest (no offense to Nebraska).

At least there's beautiful scenery and exciting wildlife on Dr. Oakley's show. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

And, like mentioned before, I feel like I'm all farmed out from 15 seasons of Dr. Pol, so Nebraska doesn't really strike my interest (no offense to Nebraska).

I think this' the crux of the matter.  It's a bad case of "seen that already".  And SRTouch, I agree that the lessons to the boys appear to be staged, but I suspect that this' the shtick of this show.  TPTB know that we've seen a hundred episodes of vets with their hands up a cow's rectum, so in order to make it original and different, they've come up with this device.  It's OK.  I neither love it nor hate it.

• Love 2

Poor little fawn. 😢 I watched this episode Sunday night, then watched “Secrets of the Zoo” in which a sweet little Tonken calf had to be euthanized after the vet staff did everything they had. I was a soggy mess this evening....

Poor little John Deer. It was good to see the vets' tender hearts as they euthanized him. He truly was helpless. And then I chuckled at Chase trying not to get hugged too much - on camera. The boys seem sweet and well-mannered.

I always laugh at the cows on these vet shows because they are incredibly curious. When one is in distress or being treated, there is usually a bunch of other curious cow faces jammed into the corner of the camera frame.

I held my breath as the roper and his horse rushed pell mell through that field full of equipment. Did they give the calf a local before they jabbed it with a scalpel?

Loving some of the TV home design shows, I am curious about the family's home. I assumed they lived someplace with acreage, but it appears they live in a kind of converted car barn or other commercial space in town. Cool.

I could have done without the landscaping footage. More animals please.

• Love 1

Thanks to the episode about the old dog having the lipoma safely removed last week, my hubby's old girl had this taken out this morning from under her armpit.  She is resting comfortably with lots of stitches.   Hope no one finds it offensive.

1277822829_88397699_2224196701221357_8308993106062082048_ncopy.jpg.4f1976b5c09b8bfa336a22a87e27edec.jpg

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/2/2020 at 7:17 PM, pasdetrois said:

Loving some of the TV home design shows, I am curious about the family's home. I assumed they lived someplace with acreage, but it appears they live in a kind of converted car barn or other commercial space in town.

Oh, I didn't recall seeing their home. Could you be referring to the large barn-like portion of their clinic? The aerial views show that it looks like a one-story building in front, with a large taller barn-like portion at the back. We've seen them bring animals into that rear area. And other scenes were shot there. It seems to sit on a large property. 

ETA: @parrotfeathers, that's good news, and no not gross. But then, I watch Dr. Pimple Popper. So there's that. My late little dog grew a lot of benign bumps and lumps in his later years. My vet removed some that were in touchy places like around his eye and his butt. One day last year my vet was examining my dog, and we were looking at some growths, and I asked "Is that a lipoma?" And then I said, "well I watch Dr. Pimple Popper." He laughed and said that he and his sons watch it too. 😊

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1

I saw this when I looked at the Cedar County Veterinary Services website: “In addition to caring for animals, the couple shares a passion for renovation. Together they’ve brought various historic buildings back to life in Hartington’s historic downtown district...” So I bet Erin and Ben renovated that building where the live.

• Love 3
On Thursday, March 05, 2020 at 7:35 PM, Jeeves said:

ETA: @parrotfeathers, that's good news, and no not gross. But then, I watch Dr. Pimple Popper.

Happy that the lipomas were safely removed,  and laughing at your watching Dr. Pimple Popper. Never knew there were so many people who likes seeing custard like crud come out of bodies. Was it this show with the calf that had a huge puss filled mass on it's leg? Like a gallon of bloody puss came out of it.

I can't stand to watch human pimples getting popped, but there's something satisfying about seeing an animal's abscess drained. Maybe because I find animals to generally be less disgusting than humans in a variety of ways. 🤔

• Love 3
On Saturday, March 07, 2020 at 8:35 PM, LittleIggy said:

So I bet Erin and Ben renovated that building where the live.

It wouldn't surprise me. They showed them add flower boxes and shutters to the building.

Edited by nokat
32 minutes ago, nokat said:

Happy that the lipomas were safely removed,  and laughing at your watching Dr. Pimple Popper. Never knew there were so many people who likes seeing custard like crud come out of bodies. Was it this show with the calf that had a huge puss filled mass on it's leg? Like a gallon of bloody puss came out of it.

Dr. Pol said cleaning out abscesses is why he doesn’t like mayonnaise. 😆

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Dr. Pol said cleaning out abscesses is why he doesn’t like mayonnaise.

I wish I could remember a link to a video of a cow with the abscess that I swear took 10 minutes to drain.  It was amazing!  Had to be 5 gallons!  I love abscesses!