Type keyword(s) to search

The Gentlemen (2020)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

Mickey Pearson is an American expatriate who became rich by building a marijuana empire in London. When word gets out that he's looking to cash out of the business, it soon triggers an array of plots and schemes from those who want his fortune.

Guy Ritchie probably peaked with Snatch and this movie plays on well-trod ground, but it was highly enjoyable. Everyone was quite good, but standouts were Hugh Grant as Fletcher and Colin Farrell as Coach.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Guy Ritchie probably peaked with Snatch and this movie plays on well-trod ground, but it was highly enjoyable. Everyone was quite good, but standouts were Hugh Grant as Fletcher and Colin Farrell as Coach.

I haven't seen the movie. They showed the trailer when I went to Knives Out and my first reaction was that Hugh Grant's performance looked amazing. My second reaction was that there appeared to be only one female character in the entire movie.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

My second reaction was that there appeared to be only one female character in the entire movie.

Appearances can be deceiving....but not in this case. Technically, there were a few other women, but they were not really characters.

• Useful 1

I really enjoyed this one.  Great cast and a constantly twisting plot.  However, I couldn't understand McConnaughey's last line of the film.  Was he telling Ray to kill Fletcher? The whole lion quote tends to lean that way.  Or was he responding to his wife?  Is Fletcher's fate left open?

I kept expecting Ray to be the one behind things and that he was double crossing Mickey.  Was glad that wasn't true.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:26 PM, AimingforYoko said:

This sums up my reaction as well. It took me a while to warm up to the movie, because it felt like it was trying to impress me with its "edginess" (it surely must set a record for most uses of the c-word per minute in a major motion picture) and Soderberghian meta-ness, and all I was doing was going "bitch, please, I've seen this movie twenty times before," but then it grew on me. The performances began to charm me (even McConaughey's, an actor I used to like, then hated, and now like again because of this movie). I appreciated that the plot wasn't that of a typical "heist" movie (it's not a heist movie at all). And I actually laughed out loud at times, which is very hard to get me to do.

Like you say, lots of good performances, but I think my favorite was whoever the actor is that played Ray. Very understated and thoroughly believable, so real yet charismatic that I just bought the character and still don't know the actor. (But he's good, whoever he is.)

the actor is that played Ray

Charlie Hunnam, who's probably best known in the U.S. for his TV work on the Sons of Anarchy. I guess I've seen him here and there (I didn't watch SOA) but I appreciate him best for deucing out on the Fifty Shades of Grey movie before filming started. No point in wrecking your career over that crap.

I wish this had done better at the box office because I'd really like to see a sequel. Guy Ritchie generally doesn't do sequels per se but I think one could work here. Bring back the characters played by McConaughey, Hunnam, Ferrell, and Dockery and put them up against an Eastern European mob.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

Pushing this back up, as it premiered on HBO a few weeks back.  I don't generally seek out Guy Ritchie movies (after Snatched and Lock Stock, he never reached those highs again.  Though, Man from UNCLE was fun and the cast was legit), but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.  Hugh Grant looking craggy and being this asshole character was excellent, and Colin Farrell always impresses.  Nice to see both men who have some demons and issues finding their way back to the art.  Hugh has, IMO, never done better work than he is doing right now, and Colin seems to innately have a sense about his characters that I appreciate. 

In truth, I didn't feel a misstep in any of the actors.  I am hot and cold on McConaughey (thought he was brilliant in True Detective, but he's a lot of person outside of the roles for me), but liked his dark, calculating character work here.  I love Charlie Hunnam, and I believe that he has this sympatico with Guy Ritchie that pulls out the best in him.  This is on full display.  Nice to see Henry Golding getting work, and doing so well, as I really like him. Michelle Dockery deserves good things, so I'm glad to see her cunning on display.  I believe that was supposed to be Kate Bekinsdale and it didn't work out, but I think Michelle did great. 

The plot was manic and fun, and the script was snappy and silly and raw just as I would expect from Guy Ritchie.  He has a niche with these type of things and really does a nice action sequence.  The trip to get back the heroine addicted daughter of the Lord was very well done, especially Hunnam's run through the streets and discussion about the phone.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I remember hearing about this one before the world shut down, and now that it showed up on Netflix I gave it a watch.  There are some bits that cross a line for me, like the intimation about what happened to Eddie Marsan's character.  That will prevent me from recommending this to too many people.  Michelle Dockery's character is on the verge of token, though she gets every bit out of it that she can.  The language is excessive.  However, it is on the whole a good caper movie, if not heist movie.

Charlie Hunnam and Hugh Grant stole the show.  The interplay between Ray and Fletcher was excellent.  Colin Farrell was also good.