Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Welcome to the Freeloader

• Start Topic

Dave's patience is tested when Gemma's freeloading sister, Brittany, suddenly shows up with plans for an extended stay. Also, Calvin grows frustrated that Malcolm is still living at home, even with a new job.

Airdate: 01/06/2020

While the episode framed Calvin as being in the wrong, I am not sure that is the case. I get that Malcom was excited using his money for himself now that he finally has a job, but when Malcolm asked for a sandwich, he should have been gracious and shared his groceries with him. He got so many things from his parents over the years, it wouldn't kill him to show some gratefulness.

The ending resolution between the two of them reminded me a lot of "Sports analogies", a song from Crazy-Ex Girlfriend, in case anyone on here watched that show. It describes the notion that when men are uncomfortable with discussing more emotional subjects, they used sports as a buffer to connect emotionally. That was exactly what happened here.

• Love 6

I so felt this episode. Malcolm needs to realize he should contribute to the household (sharing groceries, filling up gas) while saving as much money as he can, and Calvin and Tina should’ve had that discussion with him. I moved to NYC right after college and have been paying my own way 100% since then. The people I know who grew up here (mostly) lived at home/saved money/bought an apt. before 30; or they lived at home and pissed away their salaries on cars, clothes, and vacations. (The people from wealthier families lived in their own apts with down payments, mortgages, and lifestyles underwritten partly by Mom/Dad.) If Calvin and Tina can teach Malcolm to be a saver, he’ll be set-up pretty securely and out of their house in a couple years. Win win.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I thought Malcolm would move in with Marty. Marty was completely absent from this episode, though.

I thought it was a valid discussion to have, about what Malcolm's responsibilities should be. But the way Calvin brought it up was kind of crappy, taking his plate away at dinner, etc. Just sit down and talk to him about it. I don't really like when TV tries to get a storyline out of someone being unnecessarily obnoxious in how they handle something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

OK, I guess the moral of the story is adults moving out of parents' house=bad.  Who knew?  Yes, Calvin was kind of jerky about it.  But, Tina was acting like Malcolm was living out in the streets with no way to ever move someplace better and that Calvin was an abusive father to a two-year old.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Wow, Gemma's sister was super annoying. She was a pretty good actress though, heh. Oh a shallow note, I'm continuing to dislike Gemma's jeans. 

The actress who plays Gemma's sister has a really annoying speaking voice, and those dark wide-leg cropped jeans they put Beth Behrs in were horrible. They were so, so unflattering - they made her look chubby, which she clearly is not.

Tina and Calvin should charge Malcolm rent, but not market-value rent - if he's going to pay market value, he might as well pay it in a place where he doesn't have to live with his parents. I once heard a financial advisor say parents should charge their adult children 25% of their income in rent - it's a real amount but still below what they'd pay anywhere and would still enable them to save. And Malcolm should buy his own groceries and he should get himself a car while he's at it. 

• Love 7

There is a fine line between the time that you want your kids to move out and the time that you are so old you are glad that they are around to help with things around the house. I think Malcolm has moved into that area. As long as they are in sync and not annoying each other they should try to get along. Due to aging, illness, convenience, companionship, and security, it is good to be surrounded by reliable people.

• Love 7

I was waiting for Malcolm to call Dave out on this.  Calvin made jokes about Malcolm's freeloading in the beginning, but it was more about not having a job.  Malcolm got a job, and Calvin seemed content with the status quo.  Now Dave is stirring Calvin up with the freeloading nonsense.  

Now that Malcolm is employed, he certainly ought to help out more around the house financially (or at least offer).  The 4-roommate situation implied that Malcolm is most likely under-employed and not making near enough to stand on his own two feet completely.  He certainly should help (or at the bare minimum, offer) financially.  But that is on Calving and Tina to work with Malcolm to set a budget that works for all involved. 

And I know it can be considered controversial to some, but Malcolm does contribute (take out the trash, does whatever Tina & Calvin ask, etc.) to the household.  So he's not anything like Beth's weird sister.  Which brings me back to wanting to shout "Dave stay out of it".

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, kirkola said:

I was waiting for Malcolm to call Dave out on this.  Calvin made jokes about Malcolm's freeloading in the beginning, but it was more about not having a job.  Malcolm got a job, and Calvin seemed content with the status quo.  Now Dave is stirring Calvin up with the freeloading nonsense.  

Now that Malcolm is employed, he certainly ought to help out more around the house financially (or at least offer).  The 4-roommate situation implied that Malcolm is most likely under-employed and not making near enough to stand on his own two feet completely.  He certainly should help (or at the bare minimum, offer) financially.  But that is on Calving and Tina to work with Malcolm to set a budget that works for all involved. 

And I know it can be considered controversial to some, but Malcolm does contribute (take out the trash, does whatever Tina & Calvin ask, etc.) to the household.  So he's not anything like Beth's weird sister.  Which brings me back to wanting to shout "Dave stay out of it".

Security guards do not make good money. So that is why he was able to only afford a place with so many roommates.

15 hours ago, Harvey said:

Security guards do not make good money. So that is why he was able to only afford a place with so many roommates.

Yeah, I doubt he makes more than $15 an hour and on top of that, LA is bonkers expensive. If his parents are OK with him being there, it makes the most sense for him to stay (and pay them some rent).

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah, I doubt he makes more than $15 an hour and on top of that, LA is bonkers expensive. If his parents are OK with him being there, it makes the most sense for him to stay (and pay them some rent).

I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense for him to stay, and I'm not saying that it's a bad idea if all parties are on board. I just thought it was ridiculous the way Tina was acting that it was crazy for an adult child to move out on their own.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense for him to stay, and I'm not saying that it's a bad idea if all parties are on board. I just thought it was ridiculous the way Tina was acting that it was crazy for an adult child to move out on their own.

I think it was more that Calvin made Malcolm leave. The fight was over nothing and Malcolm left in such a hurry that he really didn't have a chance to find suitable accommodations. It really wasn't fair to Malcolm and Tina let Calvin know it before Calvin could take too many victory laps. Every parent should want what is best for their kids.

• Love 2