Type keyword(s) to search

Marvelous Costumes: The Wardrobe is an Act All Its Own

• Start Topic

I've only seen the pilot so far, but the second coat featured (the cream-colored ones with the sort of "wings" feature on the front) was amazing from the side!  I couldn't decide if I liked it from the front.  It struck me as both a period piece and futuristic at the same time. 

Originally posted in the 4.2 Billy Jones and the Orgy Lamps thread:

11 hours ago, HouseofBeck said:

Right now I am here with a call to the universe: That gorgeous blue outfit Midge was wearing when her dad woke her up with the typewriter—I need it, whatever it is called (nightie and robe? Something more dashing-sounding for the era?), and in whatever shade of blue that is. Deep turquoise? Cerulean??

21 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

The robe is called a peignoir and the nightie is a negligee. They usually come as a set, but are fairly passe. My mom had a few back in the day. I never cared for 'em. Too fussy, too scratchy (nylon or another synthetic). For the times, the color was probably dark aqua or turquoise. I'd call it teal these days.  Also, IIRC, they rarely came with a belt, I think that was added to show off her shape.

Yes to @Ms Lark's response👆 with regards to the belt definitely not having been worn with it in the 1960s.
So it would look more like this view:

image.png.21188571e2d581829764f71c334cd28b.png 

With regards to your quest, @HouseofBeck, depending upon your budget, see, for example, this "Peignoir Set": 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/920422564/vintage-1960s-aqua-embroidered-peignoir:

image.thumb.png.0f7b2b2f62d89d441be2c17f56405395.png
This👆 is similar in color to the "baby doll" style "nightie" I wore as a teen in the late 60s hot sticky Chicago suburban summers in our air conditioner-less 2-story when I came down to breakfast where I might encounter my father too. It's more greenish than blue-ish in this picture--I'm not sure about mine.
The Etsy advertiser does call the color "aqua," which I prefer to "teal" because "teal" was overused as a color name in advertising a few decades ago, and so, @HouseofBeck, I love your color descriptor choices of "turquoise" and "Cerulean," although I suspect if you are Googling, "teal" is the right word choice, especially since my 33-year-old daughter used it last week.  

• Love 2

You can also find the occasional bargain on eBay. I collect vintage. Collecting nightgowns was one of my first major collections because they’re very wearable and used to be affordable. My collection ranges from about 1910 to the present. 
The fabrics are amazing even the synthetics. They don’t have to be itchy either. 
The style you’re admiring is usually a nylon under gown with a chiffon overlay and peignoir. That mid century nylon washes and wears like iron. As in put it in the washer and dryer and many of them look as fabulous as they did in the sixties.

More generally, whoever is doing the costume design is very talented. It not only captures the time but has a nod to current aesthetics as well. The dressmaking is superb.  

• Useful 1

Bit off topic but, this weekend I watched the first episode of Bewitched.  Samantha had the prettiest pegnoir set in that episode! It was her honeymoon.

I watched the first episode of the new season last week.  I was absolutely sick when Midge started to trash her beautiful new cream colored suit.  I know it was played for laughs, but I could barely watch.  Then, it was both sickening and funny to see her walk into the old club with a tire track across her cream colored skirt. 

Edited by Cowgirl
10 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Bit off topic but, this weekend I watched the first episode of Bewitched.  Samantha had the prettiest pegnoir set in that episode! It was her honeymoon.

I watched the first episode of the new season last week.  I was absolutely sick when Midge started to trash her beautiful new cream colored suit.  I know it was played for laughs, but I could barely watch.  Then, it was both sickening and funny to see her walk into the old club with a tire track across her cream colored skirt. 

Let’s trust the dry cleaner worked magic on it. 🙂