Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Skinny Latina

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Local Miami celebrity Ana Quincoces has personality to spare, but her burgeoning sauce and marinade business has failed to take off. While Ana's poor branding and overly defensive attitude prove to be a handful for Marcus, she faces one huge challenge: Ana must prove her mettle before The Profit invests.

Original airdate 11/19

• Love 1

I think Marcus gets too enthralled when he thinks someone is a celebrity (the woman whose sister ran her store, and this woman), and cuts them all kinds of slack.  Anna didn't want to hear a word of criticism and was very demeaning towards the members of the focus group who pointed out weaknesses in the labeling.  I think the name 'skinny latina' is very derivative of skinny girl.  I also think it's very misleading to use "skinny" in the product name as Marcus pointed out that it has twice as many calories as most of her competitors.  Of course, she had to know best with her "nobody counts calories anymore..."  

• Love 4

It seemed weird to me that he made her jump through all these hoops for a much smaller investment then he gave to other business that were more disorganized and had even less creative items like tee shirts or boutiques. 

So she was a housewife that made a skinny product and had a picture of a women in a red dress on the label. I am surprised Bethany had not tried to sue her, or buy her out. 

I think the whole investment was a set up. At the end she had a friend at Marcus' presentation pitch demo and that friend who has known her for years suddenly wanted to invest in her brand? 

• Love 8

Changing the label image probably saved her from a "brand confusion" lawsuit. This way people may think it's a spin-off or rip-off of Frankel but legally the name probably has enough distance to be distinct. (IANAL)

The first investment meeting was weird. I have to assume there was more coaching to get that chorus of "yes"es. Literally everyone says "I wouldn't invest based on this presentation but I love you"?

As for the second, I'd bet he was part of contacting Marcus before filming ever started. It was just too obvious of a path and so out of character with what Marcus has done in the past.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, hurrrz said:

Did anyone else notice Marcus wearing an ear piece? Most noticeable during the redesign meeting. Direct line from Amber to drum up stupid reality moments? 

I noticed the ear piece, maybe a couple years ago, and assumed that he has some hearing loss in his right ear.

I didn't expect to see the "skinny latina" so prominently displayed in the last iteration of the label. I agree with Marcus that the original label kind of looked like clip art. 

I would not consider the product if I saw it on the shelves because I would think it was some low-cal sauce. Now if the lady on the label was fat, I'd be amused by the image and the brand name, and would consider the product.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Men do a lot of BBQing and no man is gonna buy a sauce called Skinny Latina! 

This was a bogus episode. That D-Lister agreed to genuflect to Marcus and act the part of "unprepared bumbler who Marcus can gently humiliate" to redeemed business woman who knows her numbers" in order for a small investment and a free 45 minute commercial for her sauce. 

• Love 3
On 11/22/2019 at 2:12 AM, hurrrz said:

Did anyone else notice Marcus wearing an ear piece? Most noticeable during the redesign meeting. Direct line from Amber to drum up stupid reality moments? 

We noticed that too; I wasn't sure if it was an ear piece to listen to Amber or a hearing aid.

Despite my comment above, I ended up watching this episode - GF and I were watching TV the other night, and we ended up watching the rebroadcast. After seeing the whole thing, I still don't care about her or her product.

• Love 2

Just watched the "insider" version of this episode and have the same impression of Ana's attitude which I think is very judgmental and arrogant.  She kept saying that Marcus was too hard on her, he set her up during her presentation, didn't air all the positive comments he made about her, etc.  They showed several previously unaired segments.  

Overall, I think Marcus bends over backwards for semi-celebrities and allows greater leeway than he does for others.  I'm still not interested in trying her products.

• Love 3