Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer To Fabulous - General Discussion

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Snakes look a lot bigger when they are staring at you eye-to-eye than they actually are!  For the most part I thought they did a good job on this house, although I could have survived without the hot tub (but did like that they made a cover for it to keep the kids out and give them more deck space).  I wish they had shown more of the attic space because it was confusing for me.  Did they actually build individual bedrooms up there for each of the children?

No, it was just a playroom in the attic.     I'm guessing the attic floor would have to be reinforced to have the structure hold up to adding more walls, and turning into bedrooms. 

It was a nice house after, but nothing historic except some siding, and the outside walls.    I hope the homeowners were happy after the remodel, but very little of the house is vintage.  I don't think much of the original house was left before the Marrses remodeled.   It's like some on House Hunters, or other shows, where the remodels over the years took out everything original years ago.    

I think this was a case where the remodeling was exactly what the home owners wanted, and not the choice of Jenny and Dave.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
18 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

How to destroy a historic house in 3 easy steps. Yuck. 

It didn't appear to me that there was much left of the "historic" parts of this house.  As a matter of fact they restored some of the original house - they added a fireplace which apparently had been taken out at some point (because there was an existing chimney), they restored the original siding, the deck was falling off the house so anything they did to it was an improvement.  

5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

No, it was just a playroom in the attic.     I'm guessing the attic floor would have to be reinforced to have the structure hold up to adding more walls, and turning into bedrooms. 

Thanks, I guess they had already existing bedrooms on the first floor.  Thank you.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

It didn't appear to me that there was much left of the "historic" parts of this house.  As a matter of fact they restored some of the original house - they added a fireplace which apparently had been taken out at some point (because there was an existing chimney), they restored the original siding, the deck was falling off the house so anything they did to it was an improvement.  

All while completely moving the kitchen and deleting a floor plan.... 

• Like 3

I watched an episode last week that really disappointed me.  The family had a "Tudor" home that was beautiful dark brick.  The owners said they liked the look of the outside of their home. The entire house ended up being painted stark white, and it looked horrible.  Instead of character outside, it was a huge  white blob with no character at all.  The wife did have a look of disappointment for a second, but quickly hid it.  Since you can't unpaint brick, that house is ruined.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

The tudor house was only redone because buying a similar size house with more bedrooms in Bentonville, or Rogers isn't affordable any more.  I didn't like the Tudor theme, but that's what the homeowners wanted.   If the homeowner was disappointed, it was her own request. 

The vintage house for the carpenter, the only think that was still vintage was the siding.    It had been redone so much over the years that nothing was original, except what remained of the first floor flooring, and that couldn't be patched together because so many walls had been removed, or changed over the years.   Except the one stained glass panel, there wasn't anything vintage, except what the Marrses added from the antique dealer's stock.      I love how they said they were putting the two kids bedrooms upstairs with a bath, and it turned into a playroom without mentioning why.    I'm betting they would have had to reinforce the attic floor, and maybe more supports to do that project.   At least they had better stairs, the previous ones looks rickety.  

The rancher house last night I guess is too far from town to use all of the time, so it was a vacation house for the family?    I didn't like a lot of mixtures of colors and features, but I'm betting it was the homeowner's choice.   As long as they're happy, I'm happy.    However, if I lived in that house, I would call painters immediately, and get some features changed so they coordinate with each other.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

watched one with a red brick ranch redone in mid-century modern. 

this is the first house they have done that i thought looked horrible

black paint on brick fireplace flanked by brown verticle structures that looked like paneling, ugly large black and white painting/mural in the kids' room

• Like 3

"Rustic Cape Cod Reno", Jenny's hairstylist Shea, and Nick Frakes.  They've been married 21 years.   They just bought another house for their empty nest life, and it needs a lot of work.  

House was $500k, reno is $220k so $720k total budget.   

What a 70's time capsule, from the blue living room rug, to the wallpaper.    For the front porch and rail, get the artificial wood decking, rails, etc, and no maintenance ever.     When Carl (Chase's sledgehammer) can't get through the tile, and mortar underlay, then you know it's bad.   I'm so glad Joe is back.  

Love most of the house.   Don't like the range hood color, it doesn't look like brass to me.  I like that the interior walls aren't gray, and I like the green in the main bedroom.   I love the main bathroom, and the dog wash.  

16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

"Rustic Cape Cod Reno", Jenny's hairstylist Shea, and Nick Frakes.  They've been married 21 years.   They just bought another house for their empty nest life, and it needs a lot of work.  

House was $500k, reno is $220k so $720k total budget.   

What a 70's time capsule, from the blue living room rug, to the wallpaper.    For the front porch and rail, get the artificial wood decking, rails, etc, and no maintenance ever.     When Carl (Chase's sledgehammer) can't get through the tile, and mortar underlay, then you know it's bad.   I'm so glad Joe is back.  

Love most of the house.   Don't like the range hood color, it doesn't look like brass to me.  I like that the interior walls aren't gray, and I like the green in the main bedroom.   I love the main bathroom, and the dog wash.  

But I was surprised at the green in the main bedroom because the husband specifically said he didn't care for green.  I was hoping the color on my tv was off and it was more of a gray.

I did think the range hood color was a bit off - love the notion of powdercoating it but thought it should be a different color.

• Like 4

I loved that log home in last night's episode...not sure I would have painted all the woodwork inside white but otherwise thought it was lovely.  Weird that the best views were from the kitchen and an isolated dining room, but still a wonderful house.

Even stranger is the new dining room wasn't a dining room before, but a tiny useless unused room.      I don't like the horizontal cable railings, kids can climb it and launch themselves over.      That was the biggest purchase price and total budget ever I think.       Bella Vista is an interesting place, lots of outdoor activities, lakes, etc.      

I thought the fountain getting put at brother-in-law's place was funny.    However, how is the geothermal going to emplty into the new fountain?   There was so much water in the fountain after, that I wondered if a geotherman draining into it would still work?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Isn't the concept the same regardless of whether it is a woman statue or the sugar kettle?  I just barely understand the concept of geothermal heating/cooling systems but I wouldn't think the decorative vessel would be a game changer (but again, I have been wrong before...many times!).

• Like 1

I like how they maximized the space in this very small home.  I am quite dubious of the budget - did those people really invest over $200,000 in renovations?  Either the cost of renovations in Bentonville, AK is on par with east and west coast prices or hiring the Marrs to do you renovation is ridiculously expensive (just my opinion).  I know they had to basically redo all the plumbing, electrical and HVAC but for 650 square feet how much does that cost?

I normally like Jenny but her insistence on trying to have a British accent is annoying - girl - you don't have one!  

I like the bike shed but is there room there also for the lawnmower and other assorted yard stuff?  And I liked the raised ceiling in the living room but that white duct for HVAC kind of ruined the effect...could it not have been run along the side instead of in the middle?  Or at least painted a color to not be so stark against the lovely wood of the ceiling?

• Like 1

I bet the homeowners will have a lawn mowing service, so no need for tools except if they decide to garden.    Rewiring and replumbing is very expensive, and I suspect there were other structural items that had to be addressed too.    The prices in Bentonville and Rogers are soaring, I suspect that's why people put so much into renovations, because it's their forever house.      The exposed vent is a style I never understood, but very popular for the loft type exposed vents.    

• Like 1

The barn to rental property (I suspect that's what it is) didn't do anything for me.  As others have said, the needed insulation, and structure hid everything that was vintage, or exceptional about the barn.    How long before someone falls down the slide?    Or someone goes head first, and crashes?    

I suspect the two bedrooms were for privacy, and the rest of the loft will have either bunks or pull out sofas, to accommodate a bunch of people.   I can't see the barn conversion being a seldom used family vacation place.   

• Like 1
On 2/11/2023 at 6:12 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The barn to rental property (I suspect that's what it is) didn't do anything for me.  As others have said, the needed insulation, and structure hid everything that was vintage, or exceptional about the barn.    How long before someone falls down the slide?    Or someone goes head first, and crashes?    

I suspect the two bedrooms were for privacy, and the rest of the loft will have either bunks or pull out sofas, to accommodate a bunch of people.   I can't see the barn conversion being a seldom used family vacation place.   

Well I guess if it makes sense financially for this family to have a seldom used family gathering place and rent it out for the rest of the time (meetings, Air BNBs, etc.?) then that's great.  Personally I do think they took some of the charm out of the place - not just inside but outside.  They took a rustic barn and painted it basically to match their house.  Not to my taste.  And those very small bedrooms really drove me crazy...did that one room even have at least a queen sized bed in it - it looked very small to me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

Personally I do think they took some of the charm out of the place - not just inside but outside.  They took a rustic barn and painted it basically to match their house.  

That's why I can't stand this programme. Every house turns out pretty much the same, no matter what type it was to begin with. 

• Like 3

I don't like that all brick has to be painted.     I really dislike the trend of painting exteriors black or dark gray.      

I watched the rerun of the barn conversion.    I hate the black on the interior of the roof, and the slide is ridiculous, and unsafe.    I bet the room outside the bedrooms in the loft will be bunk rooms, or something that can hold a lot of people.   I didn't like the exterior color change either. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

They didn't have a new one, just the 'enhanced' one of the newlyweds who married in Napa and were moving to Arkansas, with the whiskey barrel table, and the pot filler for the dog's bowl in the end cabinet.     They look new, but they're not, next week there's a real new episode. 

The producers do their best to get people to tune in, with the enhanced, or more commentary episodes, or the behind the scenes.  Anything for ratings points. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I honestly like this show and the couple, but sometimes her insistence on a "theme" drives me crazy.  Did this family want to be reminded of Peru at all times (perhaps they did and we just didn't see it and of course it was a huge part of their culture and their history)?  I thought it was tastefully done but I just didn't want to hear about it every time Jenny spoke!

I thought the back yard was a little anticlimatic, but I thought the couple was very nice.

• Like 3
(edited)

Great exterior and curb appeal.   The interior is full of crystal chandeliers, ornate decor, different floors in every room.  I have to laugh at the husband who moved to Bentonville from Seattle wants to "bring the outdoors inside", so I'm guessing bifold glass doors, and every bug for a hundred miles around will drop in.   The kitchen wallpaper is hideous, and the bright orange fan is awful.  They painted the ceiling dark blue too, and the orange valence is terrible, along with the orange accents on the kitchen chandeliers.   

Homeowners want the kitchen open, and increase the 'flow' between the living room, and the other areas.   Main bedroom and bath are huge, but needs lighter paint, and I would put in hardwoods.   Bathroom pocket door is broken.  The ensuite has wall paper that's pink and purple (or yellow and purple), the tile trim is awful, the chandeliers are awful.  The tub surround is awful too.   The upstairs bonus room needs lighter paint, lighter carpet, and to become a family room. 

Yard is huge, but they want a covered area, outdoor kitchen.    

$200k sounded like a big reno budget, until I saw the inside.  The kitchen was so over the top before, but now it looks a little unfinished, and plain.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Were all the cabinets painted the same color?  They looked like different colors to me but I figure that is how the light was hitting it.

Wasn't my favorite renovation but the homeowners seemed to like it.  That was a huge house for 3 people but I'm sure considering the cost of housing in Seattle versus the cost of housing in Bentonville they were happy.

• Like 1
On 3/8/2023 at 4:04 PM, RoxiP said:

Were all the cabinets painted the same color?  They looked like different colors to me but I figure that is how the light was hitting it.

I thought the lowers were a dark blue, but, as you said, it might've been the lighting.

I'm re-doing my kitchen, and choosing the cabinet colors was the hardest decision. I considered nearly every color. If I were selling the home, I would've gone with something more trendy. When you look at what you've seen come and go in the last 20 years just watching House Hunters, you realize how quickly styles come and go.  Remember when cherry cabinets was hot? Not too many years back, people were staining their floors a very dark brown. Now they're going back to a natural color. Wood cabinets are back, too. I have a feeling tuxedo cabinets will be a thing of the past really soon. 

I was relieved with this house when Jenny didn't talk about painting the brick. I figured the kitchen would end up with sage cabinets, but that color showed up in the bedroom. 

Has anyone seen or heard Dave and Jenny's middle child speak? I wonder if she's the introvert in a house full of extroverts.

• Like 1

LOL...I have a hard time keeping their children straight!  It seems to me that their adopted daughter doesn't speak too much, their younger daughter was featured a lot on earlier seasons before Luke was born, and the twins just kind of show up.  i assume that they allow the children to speak or not speak as much or as little as they want - I note that many times we see them but not so much hear them.  Little Luke is shown a lot but I figure that's because he was born into the show and that he's young enough that he is still pretty attached to his mom and dad so the cameras don't bother him.  I think they strive to have a healthy balance for their kids - or at least so far it seems that way.  I don't get the "performing for the cameras" vibe from the kids.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I don't get the "performing for the cameras" vibe from the kids.

That's what I've like about this family. 

Luke to me was like a mannequin. He was always being carried around and talked to but his parents seemed to speak for him. Now he's speaking for himself. Charlotte had moments in front of the camera when she was smaller.  I've appreciated how they've mostly backgrounded the older three kids. I've seen some footage of late of the twins. That's what's made me curious about the ever-silent middle child. It'd be funny to learn that she's the biggest blabbermouth of the bunch, but nevertheless, camera shy. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mojito said:

That's what I've like about this family. 

Luke to me was like a mannequin. He was always being carried around and talked to but his parents seemed to speak for him. Now he's speaking for himself. Charlotte had moments in front of the camera when she was smaller.  I've appreciated how they've mostly backgrounded the older three kids. I've seen some footage of late of the twins. That's what's made me curious about the ever-silent middle child. It'd be funny to learn that she's the biggest blabbermouth of the bunch, but nevertheless, camera shy. 

This isn't directed at you or meant to insult you in any way, but just the fact that people who aren't these children's family or close friends know even this much about them sickens me. 

• Like 1

I've seen people post more personal stuff about their kids on social media than I have seen exposed on a lot of home improvement show...LOL!  

When my daughter was relatively young she forbade me from posting pretty much anything about her on Facebook so I am still to this day very careful about what I post.  

• Like 7

LOL!!!! HGTV has one script and they're passing it around. The Marrs have bought a building in Centerton (bitty town near Bentonville) and they're fixing up the upstairs so visitors can stay there (instead of with them, I guess). But wait. The downstairs storefront? They want to turn it into, yep, a mercantile. 🤮 They hope opening it up will help build the business district in that bitty town. 

They don't have particularly good taste, so, yeah.

• Like 6

That a huge main bedroom.   Turning the second bedroom into a combined office / laundry doesn't sound workable long term. 

I didn't see the charm in the exposed brick everywhere, since it now needed have the many holes patched.   And taking the stucco/plaster off the back porch exterior was a waste of time and money too.   

I think Centerton is a bedroom community for Bentonville, and has a lot of homes going up.   Bentonville and Rogers are so expensive, that Centerton is being built up now too.   

Except for Erin and Ben's mercantile, that's been around for years, and Chip and Joanna's that was open before the show started (at the original Magnolia store location), the other shows stores are very recent.  I do like the Bargain Block store though.   

Guess what next week's show is going to be?  Yes, the mercantile build out. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

The couple seemed genuinely appreciative to have a location as a home base - apparently they travel most of the time doing whatever it is they do.  I know long-term rental was mentioned.  

Staying for any extended period of time in a house with 5 children...I think that would be overwhelming both as a guest and as a host.  Them renovating an apartment for them to stay in doesn't bother me at all.  I guess when they are traveling is when the apartment would be available to others who are visiting.

I like the plant wall in theory but probably wouldn't want to have it simply because of the maintenance required.

New ep was on as background, so I'm sure I missed any nuances. 🤣🤣

The mercantile was part Gaines, part Napier, as expected, but I also felt a dab of Schitt's Creek (that might just be me). 

They redid some couple's house and at the reveal, they walked into a giant white box. No lie. Even I, who live with a lot of white/neutral structure (as background for wood and selective color) was hit by the whiteout. 

In a continuation of the not-good news, a quick preview followed of S2 of Home Town Takeover, heavily featuring Dave and Jenny. Like co-star status. Ugh. Shut it, Dave.

• Like 1

My episode was all the remodel of the store.  I wish they had shown more of the products they were featuring than the actual remodel, which honestly was kind of boring.

(edited)
On 3/15/2023 at 12:26 AM, 3 is enough said:

Let’s see, which HGTV stars have stores?

Chip and Joanna

Ben and Erin

Mina Starsiak-Hawk

The twins from Unsellable Houses

The guys from Bargain Block

And now Dave and Jenny.  

Am I missing anyone? 😉

The Galveston flipping couple have an ice cream parlor

No shop. but the Scott bros sell on QVC

Edited by sheetmoss

It doesn't bother me that these people are making money while they can - this home improvement trend might not last forever and they should take advantage of it while they can.  In the meantime they are also providing jobs - some of them in areas where jobs can be hard to find - and opportunities for local craftspeople (in the case of Fixer to Fabulous).  The Mercantile in Laurel was a little out of my price range but I did get a t-shirt which I have gotten great use out of and if I visited Arkansas I might drop by and see Marrs Mercantile just to say I had been there...LOL!  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 3/15/2023 at 11:50 AM, RoxiP said:

I like the plant wall in theory but probably wouldn't want to have it simply because of the maintenance required.

I agree - I'm not much on plant maintenance but they did say that they wouldn't have to worry about watering because it was on a timer and the material the plants were growing in would keep all of the weeds out so if that is true, maybe it wouldn't be that bad.  I would assume with people not being there 100% of the time, it would need to be low maintenance or it wouldn't survive.

20 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I agree - I'm not much on plant maintenance but they did say that they wouldn't have to worry about watering because it was on a timer and the material the plants were growing in would keep all of the weeds out so if that is true, maybe it wouldn't be that bad.  I would assume with people not being there 100% of the time, it would need to be low maintenance or it wouldn't survive.

True, and I've had plants on timers before but I just still think it wouldn't work as well as they hope - but they are professionals and I am not...LOL!  They were obviously designing specifically for that couple's taste and the woman apparently loves plants so for them I am sure it will work.

• Like 1
On 11/27/2019 at 8:57 PM, mojito said:

Screened porches might be a thing for some people but where I live, night time does not mean comfortable temps for sitting outside and enjoying a breeze. It's very common for it to still be in the 90s after 8:00 pm. Air conditioned sun rooms are more feasible in summer. When the temps are more bearable, at least in my experience, as in the March-May and October, the mosquitoes aren't out in full force and we will sit outside. If you're real sensitive, there are always products you can use to keep the skeeters at bay. I don't know anyone who has a screened porch or patio.

There are other bugs besides mosquitos in the south. In fact, mosquitos are the least of our bug problems. They can be controlled with marigolds or citronella plants. Other bugs, not so much.

• Like 2

We have a screened back porch at our farm in hot, humid east texas - ceiling fans help a lot!  It was originally built for my mother, who smoked but had quit smoking in her own home - but we all enjoyed it and the beautiful quiet.  Nothing but cows, bugs and the distant sound of boats on the lake!

• Like 1

Tonight's new episode was the one with 8" of water under the floor.  Despite the massive sag in the floor, water leaking from the refrigerator water line, Jenny still got four gas lanterns.     If they were really $500 to run the lines, plus lantern costs, I can think of a lot better ways to spend $2,000 and up than gas lanterns. There must have been some damage from the massive amount of water under the house, and I would worry about mold issues too. 

I don't understand how the odd stone front on the house and the green siding made it look like English Cottage, I think it looked like odds and ends that didn't update the house at all.     

Also, the yellow cabinets in the kitchen were not attractive to me.  I didn't like the cabinet color at all.    I see no point in having large wall sconces on either side of the  stove, and no cabinets there.  They also had a pull out table that only seats four.   I would have found a way to have a regular dining table.    I didn't see anything that looked like English Cottage. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

The intro to the latest episode was weird and unnecessary.

Jenny asks the oldest son if he knows they’re renovating Malachi’s family’s house? And then asks if he remembers he met Malachi in kindergarten as if this is a childhood friend that the son had lost touch with. But then it’s said that this is a child that regularly hangs out with their children and during the tour it’s mentioned that Jenny and Dave have dropped Malachi off at the house before.

I just don’t get why they had to stage the intro that way.

That small house near parents needed an addition.

Also, are the HO's going to use TV tray tables to eat off of?     No dining area

Jenny saying  you can get 10 months of use out of the back covered porch - well maybe if it had windows and screens

• Like 1