Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: That Woman

• Start Topic

Man, I had high hopes for this show.  I frickin can’t stand Bradley or Crudup’s characters.  I hate that this show is making me realize what a bad actor Witherspoon is cause I really like her.  Crudup is always smiling like everything is so amusing, it’s already old.  Oooooh, he likes chaos....so?  Bradley is boring and Reese keeps squinting to show her character’s self-righteousness.  How edgy.   I do like Alex, this is the character that should be central.  Eh, maybe it’ll get better.

• Love 2

I think this episode convinced me that accceptin the subscription for Apple TV wasn’t a colossal waste of money. The interview was probably one of the most realistic depiction of how workplace harassment happens.  It’s subtle and only one person feels demeaned.

• Love 15

Just when you think Alex is going to position herself to "groom" Bradley, she goes to position herself as a foe instead. A savvier woman should realize that Bradley best fits the current social climate. Instead trying to beat it back, she should be "directing it" 

Instead of trying to stifle her during the interview, she should've keep quite if not outright encourage it. Instead she looks  guilty as fuck to and part of a coverup. Do better Alex, I am rooting for you

Bradley's mother seem like a nightmare to have grown up with. 

• Love 6

I was chuckling at the meltdown occurring in the control booth the first time Bradley went off script and referenced her real childhood. I found the syrupy niceness between the two hosts hard to take, and trotting out the mother and giving her a script was a low blow. I don't like Bradley but I understood her reaction in that scene.

Having said that, Alex Levy is the most interesting character on this show. I'm watching for Jennifer Aniston, and I'm surprised to hear myself say that. I wasn't a Friends diehard. I've seen some of her rom-coms but nothing like this. I am enjoying both the sharpness and vulnerability she is bringing to this role. She also looks fantastic!

I started out liking Billy Crudup's performance but am now confused about the direction of his character. Why does he like Bradley so much? Why is he cheering when everyone else is freaking out? Does he secretly want the show and network to fail?

I would like to see a little more backstory on what exactly happened with Mitch. Are they patterning him straight off Matt Lauer? If so, are they going to have other women come forward? 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I started out liking Billy Crudup's performance but am now confused about the direction of his character. Why does he like Bradley so much? Why is he cheering when everyone else is freaking out? Does he secretly want the show and network to fail?

I would say he wants the show to succeed, if only because he doesn't seem to benefit if the show fails.  I wasn't sure about that creepy moment with Bradley in her dressing room, but I guess we'll have to see if that goes anywhere. 

I did like Bradley's interview, and the reaction of most of the women, either having some kind of realization or acknowledgment that things were worse than they appeared was interesting. 

You'll also notice that Alex didn't deny it when Bradley asked her directly if she knew what was going on with Mitch.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I would say he wants the show to succeed, if only because he doesn't seem to benefit if the show fails.  I wasn't sure about that creepy moment with Bradley in her dressing room, but I guess we'll have to see if that goes anywhere. 

It already did go somewhere.

Billy Crudup's character said to her in this creepy, knowing voice "I wonder if anyone knew."

And then later Bradley confronted Alex because she realized that she knew.

I think Alex's motivations are pretty clear.  She loved Mitch as a coworker, and she is loyal to him.  That's why she freaked out at what Bradley did.  Also if Bradley paints the show/the network/the powers that be as complicit, that includes Alex.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

It already did go somewhere.

Billy Crudup's character said to her in this creepy, knowing voice "I wonder if anyone knew."

You are entirely right.  In that particular scene, I meant if we were going to have further moments where he seemed to be coming on to her, or if the purpose of that was just to screw with her mind. 

• Love 3

What was realistic to me is that I think many of us have been in the situation where you know that something is going on, that it might be unsavory, but you take the “ it’s none of my business”stance or worse, you enjoy the gossip and in some ways paint the victim as the villain. 

• Love 3

It’s not that I think Witherspoon is a bad actres. I just think she’s miscast. I also think the character is horribly written and with every controversial thing she does She either has Billy Crudup looking on in amazement or some other character calling out how fantastic she is that It all feels so forced.

The bit During the interview where she drops the Cue cards and takes out her ear piece. Eye rolling. We get it show, Bradley is the hero up against the big bad morning show team. 

And her and Crudups scenes continue to feel like something out of a terrible rom com where the leads have no chemistry but they’re forcing it anyway. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 2
On 9/4/2020 at 5:50 PM, Avabelle said:

It’s not that I think Witherspoon is a bad actres. I just think she’s miscast.

We got apple tv for a few months and so far I am enjoying this show but I do think the casting is a bit off. Like Bradley is supposed to be a person with 15 years experience in the news business, which should make her someone in their mid to late 30's. But Witherspoon is 45. And of course she looks and could totally pass for 35. But she has worked in Hollywood for so long it is hard to forget that she is older than I am.

As for Aniston she is good in about 95% of her scenes. But anytime she has to get mad it sounds like fake sitcom mad. Like when Jerry had to get upset on Seinfeld and it sounded silly.