Type keyword(s) to search

Bob Loves Attention: Media Coverage

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, DanaK said:

Per Deadline, as part of overall belt tightening, the cast, similar to Blue Bloods, took double digit pay cuts, supposedly less than 25%, in order to get a 5th season

https://deadline.com/2023/04/dick-wolf-nbc-series-cast-reduce-episodes-chicago-law-order-bob-heart-abishola-pay-cuts-1235324737/

Not shocked. This season wasn't the best and if they don't fix what is broken, it could go into cancellation next year.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, DanaK said:

Per Deadline, as part of overall belt tightening, the cast, similar to Blue Bloods, took double digit pay cuts, supposedly less than 25%, in order to get a 5th season

https://deadline.com/2023/04/dick-wolf-nbc-series-cast-reduce-episodes-chicago-law-order-bob-heart-abishola-pay-cuts-1235324737/

Well, this season was extremely mid with a lot of problematic aspects. No need for pay cuts, just fire the actors who play Ebun and Goodwin. Two totally useless characters who suck the fun out of this show and just contribute to it's further demise. Getting rid of them would be a good decision.

Dele can return to Nigeria too, he was supposed to spend 6 months there after all. Boom, crisis solved.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Well, this season was extremely mid with a lot of problematic aspects. No need for pay cuts, just fire the actors who play Ebun and Goodwin. Two totally useless characters who suck the fun out of this show and just contribute to it's further demise. Getting rid of them would be a good decision.

Dele can return to Nigeria too, he was supposed to spend 6 months there after all. Boom, crisis solved.

It does seem like the show has a very large cast, many of whom could be written out without being missed.  Ebun has improved the last couple episodes and I like Dele,  however, most of the sock industry drama is boring and I don't care if Goodwin disappears entirely.  I do like Abishola's work friends though.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Good. The focus steered too much from Bob & Abishola as a couple at a very early point in the series.

And we only have to put up with Goodwin five times. That's a huge blessing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Good. The focus steered too much from Bob & Abishola as a couple at a very early point in the series.

And we only have to put up with Goodwin five times. That's a huge blessing.

As posters here kept saying, the cast was bloated and probably will benefit from the trimming

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

As posters here kept saying, the cast was bloated and probably will benefit from the trimming

I kinda wish they'd gotten rid of 6 of the 12 and given us 10 episodes with the others.  Kemi, Gloria, Olu and Tunde are keepers, IMO.  

Give Dele and Chukwuemeka 5 episodes apiece and call the two of them one regular.  The last slot can go to Bob's mom, Douglas, or Christina; don't really care which one.

Everyone else can leave.  I think Bob should sell the sock factory and get out of the business.  The sock storylines bring the show down, IMO.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

With such a large cast, it's almost like having 2 shows in one. Perhaps they could spin off another series; Chewy, his mom and Kemi; Goodwin/cousin & families. Bob needs his mother and Abishola's Auntie & Uncle; they are great. We need to see more of them; once in a while, from her own home, Abi's mom could make an appearance. Gloria/Kemi are needed for Abi at work IMO.

It's better to do two shows well than one show not so well.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

I kinda wish they'd gotten rid of 6 of the 12 and given us 10 episodes with the others.  Kemi, Gloria, Olu and Tunde are keepers, IMO.  

Give Dele and Chukwuemeka 5 episodes apiece and call the two of them one regular.  The last slot can go to Bob's mom, Douglas, or Christina; don't really care which one.

Everyone else can leave.  I think Bob should sell the sock factory and get out of the business.  The sock storylines bring the show down, IMO.

24 minutes ago, floridamom said:

With such a large cast, it's almost like having 2 shows in one. Perhaps they could spin off another series; Chewy, his mom and Kemi; Goodwin/cousin & families. Bob needs his mother and Abishola's Auntie & Uncle; they are great. We need to see more of them; once in a while, from her own home, Abi's mom could make an appearance. Gloria/Kemi are needed for Abi at work IMO.

It's better to do two shows well than one show not so well.

I wonder if it's too late. It received a shorten 5th season order - never a good sign. Maybe they air those last 13 episodes and just end it 😬

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Harvey said:

I wonder if it's too late. It received a shorten 5th season order - never a good sign. Maybe they air those last 13 episodes and just end it 😬

They are pretty close to 100 episodes for syndication so if they can hopefully order enough episodes for next season to accomplish that

• Useful 1
30 minutes ago, DanaK said:

They are pretty close to 100 episodes for syndication so if they can hopefully order enough episodes for next season to accomplish that

If they cancel it after the 13 episodes it make it 91 episodes that’s crazy they would be 9 episodes off a full 100

• Like 1

While I am sad to see it go, I can understand it. The show clearly doesn't know where to go. It focused so much on the sock factory and the establishment of a new factory while no one who watches the show really cares about these things, and they did not make these storylines too much fun.

This coupled with giving Goodwin a huge amount of screen time for some mysterious reason caused a huge dip in quality. Meanwhile actually fun characters like Kemi, Olu and Tunde were phased out more and more. While the show eventually figured out how to use Ebun, making her a series regular was a colossal mistake as well. Just horrible decisions all around.

My one wish is that they nail the ending. Bob and Abishola deserve that much.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Even before the strike the writing was on the wall this was gonna be the last season..

Yes. The huge cast with so many stories made it difficult for the audience to stay invested, IMO.

However…
from TVLine:
CANCELLATIONS: Chuck Lorre Weighs In on the End of Young Sheldon and Bob Hearts Abishola — Which Decision ‘Was Not My Call’?

“I think there are so many more stories to tell…The initial motivation…was a romance wrapped around a story of immigrants who make America great — that extraordinary, courageous effort that is made by millions of people every year who find their way in this country. I don’t necessarily feel like we were done, but that was not my call.”

Acknowledging the news that 11 out of 13 series regulars were bumped to recurring for the final 13 episodes, Lorre explains, “There were fiscal restraints imposed on the show. In order to continue making the show, the cost of making it had to be reined in, and that was the only way to do that.

“It’s not my call,” the EP reiterates. “I’m really grateful for the run that we’ve had. Five years has been terrific.”…

https://tvline.com/news/young-sheldon-ending-bob-hearts-abishola-cancelled-explained-cbs-1235091495/

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

Does Lorre have an exclusive contract with the network? You'd think that, if anyone could shop a show to revive it, he'd be the one who could.

Mayeb an hour long format would have better served the number of characters and plotlines they wanted to cover.

It's too bad.  I loved the show but it started going downhill especially last season.  It kind of jumped the shark when it made Christina into a cleaning person.  And I agree with the above that the focus on the sock factory and Goodwin was not the best decision when they had fantastic comedic actors playing Olu, Tunde, Kemi and Gloria.  It's also too bad that Lorre won't have any show on network TV for the first time in 20 years.  The budget cuts are in my opinion penny-wise and pound-foolish.  That said, I looked at the trailer for "Bookie" and it doesn't look like my kind of show and the comments online among fans seem to heavily prefer a Two and a Half Men reboot.  I know he has another Big Bang Theory spin-off in the works also for streaming, but no specific details have come out on that yet.

• Like 2
On 12/1/2023 at 9:03 PM, Yeah No said:

It's too bad.  I loved the show but it started going downhill especially last season.  It kind of jumped the shark when it made Christina into a cleaning person. 

I was never really happy with the way her character was written. There'd be times where it would seem like Christina was evolving then they'd pull back on that only to put her in a worse place than before. It made me think of Mom and how Christy started to devolve the more Bonnie was put front and center. 

• Like 4

The TV Critics are doing their press tour last week and this week and doing set visits today. At the moment they are visiting this show. One tidbit: It was CBS’ decision to end the show

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, DanaK said:

The TV Critics are doing their press tour last week and this week and doing set visits today. At the moment they are visiting this show. One tidbit: It was CBS’ decision to end the show

My guess: 
“CBS” said to make permanent cast cuts and the showrunner said no.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

My guess: 
“CBS” said to make permanent cast cuts and the showrunner said no.

That or further financial cuts

• Sad 1
(edited)

Season 5 is about the time the actors would begin with new contracts and the show has lasted long enough that they can sell it into syndication easier  .... unless a show is a big hit this is normally when shows that have done just ok but arnt bringing them in the money in other places  get canceled

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 1
On 3/11/2024 at 9:21 PM, DanaK said:

Next new episode in 2 weeks

Weird, the show claims the next new episode is in 2 weeks, but my DVR and the Futon Critic are claiming there’s a new one on Monday 

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Weird, the show claims the next new episode is in 2 weeks, but my DVR and the Futon Critic are claiming there’s a new one on Monday 

TitanTV also says it’s new, but the “description” is just a generic description of the show as a whole. Usually there’s an actual description this soon before the air date. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

TitanTV also says it’s new, but the “description” is just a generic description of the show as a whole. Usually there’s an actual description this soon before the air date. 

My DVR and Futon Critic are both showing the title “Worth the Cooties” but no description. tvguide.com/listings is showing a Price Is Right special for the hour, which is probably what’s on. Hopefully the DVR listing updates before tomorrow night

Edited by DanaK
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

On the CBS website, it says that on March 18, 2024,  The Neighborhood will be a repeat and that Bob Hearts Abishola "Worth the Cooties" will be new.

Yeah, I'm seeing that now. Really weird after the promo spot after last week's show that we'd see a new episode in 2 weeks

• Fire 1

I remember when I was a kid, every show had a predictable schedule and it never changed. Of course, people didn't have DVRs and streaming options back then, but it wasn't so much work to figure out when the hell anything was airing, either.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I remember when I was a kid, every show had a predictable schedule and it never changed. Of course, people didn't have DVRs and streaming options back then, but it wasn't so much work to figure out when the hell anything was airing, either.

They also were making more episodes and has less or zero repeats during the season and maybe would repeat some episodes in the Summer. It's the last minute schedule changes like this that's the problem (and after a promo indicated they were skipping this week)

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, DanaK said:

They also were making more episodes and has less or zero repeats during the season and maybe would repeat some episodes in the Summer

I recall in the 1960s there were repeats in the summer of most, if not all episodes. Given that there were no VCRs yet, I'm sure the ratings were good enough to get support from the advertisers.

And now back to our more-or-less regularly scheduled program.😉

On 2/15/2024 at 9:09 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

Season 5 is about the time the actors would begin with new contracts and the show has lasted long enough that they can sell it into syndication easier  .... unless a show is a big hit this is normally when shows that have done just ok but arnt bringing them in the money in other places  get canceled

Has anyone heard any talk of a spin-off?

• Useful 1

In the TV industry all the TV companies are buying other TV companies, then laying off hundreds or thousands of employees, some of those jobs were in scheduling and promotion. It doesn't help that TV companies are trying their best to get you to quit watching free broadcast TV with ads and to start watching paid streaming TV with ads.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Well, the finale sounds really good at least. And Ogechi is something Chukwuemeka and Kemi always had to address, so it is good the show doesn't shy away from that.