Type keyword(s) to search

Pluto

QQQQ
  • Start Topic

On 10/20/2019 at 5:14 PM, Cobb Salad said:

I like the niche channels too and they seem to be adding new ones from time to time.  It’s a go to app for me when nothing else is on.  

They also have Weather Nation, though it's often available as a separate free app.

• Love 2

I've started watching this app some lately.  I like some of the stuff (differs some from the same stuff making the rounds on retro channels for years now).    But my two biggest issues are 1) the commercial breaks can come in odd/abrupt places.   It's clear they didn't devote the greatest effort is making these rerun ready.   And 2) while and "all ____" channel is nice in theory, it makes it hard if you're trying to watch a continuing plot or follow a season long story.   It works fine for something like The Price is Right but it's a little strange dropping in on the odd episode of the Amazing Race here and there.  

• Love 2
On 5/17/2021 at 11:50 PM, Maverick said:

I've started watching this app some lately.  I like some of the stuff (differs some from the same stuff making the rounds on retro channels for years now).    But my two biggest issues are 1) the commercial breaks can come in odd/abrupt places.   It's clear they didn't devote the greatest effort is making these rerun ready.   And 2) while and "all ____" channel is nice in theory, it makes it hard if you're trying to watch a continuing plot or follow a season long story.   It works fine for something like The Price is Right but it's a little strange dropping in on the odd episode of the Amazing Race here and there.  

The Roku channel seems to have a similar habit of really bad commercial breaks, I was watching Barney Miller on it and they'd break right in the middle of a scene.

I should check Pluto again to see what they have.

• Useful 1

I like some things about Pluto. I watched all of Leverage several times. But my go to channels are Antique Roadshow, UK and true crime shows like Forensic Files or Cold Case Files or even Unsolved Mysteries. Lately my go to is Antique Roadshow, UK.

But what I dislike about Pluto, is I have to have the tv on to sleep and Antique Roadshow is perfect. If I wake up and have trouble going back to sleep it's interesting without me having to invest a lot into watching, I can fall back asleep. But apparently Pluto does not want a channel left on for hours of bingeing. After about 4 hours, a message pops up "are you still watching yes or cancel" If you don't click on it, it goes back to the main Roku menu. Then I wake up because there's silence. And there are times, I actually do watch for hours on end, maybe not devoting every bit of my attention to the show, but I am listening and looking up occasionally. So what's the big deal Pluto?

• Love 2

That "are you still watching" annoys me too, especially if it happens while I'm eating dinner!

Maybe it is a Roku function, I think I've see it while watching a series of Youtube videos on my Roku as well.

Edited by roseha

I've got a TiVo streamer on my TV in my bedroom. As I'm usually not in that room for long (like getting dressed, folding laundry, or short term activities), I've discovered that the "Deal or No Deal" channel is perfect for me right now. There's no plot to follow and it's rarely gripping enough where I HAVE to find out how the contestant did. (Spoiler alert: Most of them make risky decisions that don't work out so great. Some of them get super lucky.)

I have tried the Price is Right channel, but I find it less engaging than I thought I would. I think it's because the shows are 30 yeas old, and I can't get engaged with attempting to guess the right prices.

Overall, I am glad I discovered this Pluto TV app. It offers up a little different way of watching TV. It's like a hybrid of streaming (where I pick what I want to watch) and live TV (where it's just on and I don't have to go selecting seasons and episodes and stuff.)

• Love 1

My go to channels on Pluto are currently Johnny Carson and The Carol Burnett Show.  You don’t need to see the whole episode so coming in the middle is okay for me.  Plus you see celebrities from back in the day or some who are still around when they were much younger.   I’m not a big fan of the game show channels either.  

49 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I am defaulting to the Classic Doctor Who and the (original) Iron Chef channels, but it appears they're just cycling thru the same subset of eps. 

I noticed the same thing watching The Amazing Race.  It grew tiresome.  

That's the problem with having a channel that shows nothing but one show 24/7.  They make the problem worse by not showing all seasons, even when it's a long running show.   The Mission: Impossible channel only airs the first 3 years.   They are arguably the best seasons sure, but when you're churning though the series at that rate they should show them all.   Hawaii 5-0 doesn't have it's only channel and only airs a few episodes a day, but it still seems like if I happen to stop on that channel it's one I just saw last week.  

• Love 2

I like the SLOW channel on Pluto. A camera in the cab of a Norwegian train, focussed on the track ahead. That is the BEST channel to sleep to. The sound of the train is so soothing. And because the shows tend to be at least 6 hours long, it takes a while for "are you still watching?" to show up.  Sometimes they'll pause the trains to stream "Amazing Places on Earth" - a travelogue with no dialog.

But my big complaint: When I first started watching the "Star Trek" channel, they streamed TNG over and over and over again. Then they started alternating between TNG and TOS.  What's most annoying is they'll be showing the TNG "Time's Arrow, part 1,'" and then decide it's time to switch over to Kirk. IN THE MIDDLE OF A TWO-PARTER! Then they go through all 3 season of Kirk and go back to the first episode of Picard/Riker/Data, et al.  We never get to see the second part of "Time's Arrow."

I did enjoy the repeated runs of Deep Space 9 on the "More Star Trek" channel - I managed to eventually see all the episodes, if out of order - but now they've changed over to Voyager and I really can't get into it, no matter how hard I try.  I could watch DS9 over and over again, but I'm tiring of the The Next Generation and Kirk.

I'll never tire of Tom Barnaby.  Love me some Midsomer Murders.

• Like 2

I don't mind watching commercials, but I do mind them not being placed where they were meant to be placed in a TV show.

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But my big complaint: When I first started watching the "Star Trek" channel, they streamed TNG over and over and over again. Then they started alternating between TNG and TOS.  What's most annoying is they'll be showing the TNG "Time's Arrow, part 1,'" and then decide it's time to switch over to Kirk. IN THE MIDDLE OF A TWO-PARTER! Then they go through all 3 season of Kirk and go back to the first episode of Picard/Riker/Data, et al.  We never get to see the second part of "Time's Arrow."

I did enjoy the repeated runs of Deep Space 9 on the "More Star Trek" channel - I managed to eventually see all the episodes, if out of order - but now they've changed over to Voyager and I really can't get into it, no matter how hard I try.  I could watch DS9 over and over again, but I'm tiring of the The Next Generation and Kirk.

H&I (Heroes and Icons) plays every Star Trek series to completion every night.

• Like 2