Type keyword(s) to search

Male Characters: Who is your favorite?

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

Turn about is fair play!  We have a thread for Female characters, why not one for Male characters?

I'll go out on a limb and declare my love for Ducky!  They use him just enough.  I love his stories, I love his demeanor, I love his relationships with the other characters, I love everything about him.

I'll also declare my love of Papa Gibbs. RIP (sniff).

• Love 4

While I like Gibbs and Tony and Ducky, my favorite has always been McGee. Even though he hasn't held as many plots as the others, I think his overall arc is the best one of NCIS. While other characters tend to regress (Abby) or remain the same (Gibbs) or go all over the place (Tony), I find McGee's transition from when we first saw him to now to be the best character "arc" as it were. True, I was never a fan of the smug McGee from around season 6, but I did find it realistic (he was a successful author, he had been an agent for a good few solid years, etc.) and liked that he evolved from that too. Also, I love the addition of Delilah to his story, it brings out the best in him.

• Love 5

Fornell. I love Fornell. And I love watching Fornell and Gibbs interact.

I also really liked Mike Franks. And I know that many are not fans of Vance, but I've always had a tiny crush on Rocky Carroll, so Vance gets a lot of leeway with me.

• Love 2
(edited)

I adore Fornell and will forever thank Don Bellisario for retconning Fornell's backstory after the pilot.

Love me some Ducky.  I also agree with ChaseMCP about McGee.

In the early years, Tony got on my last nerve, but I really like him now.  I think that was one good thing that came out of the Frog arc.  Tony began to mature.

Gibbs is also a favorite.

I also liked Ari.  Rudolf Martin played a great villain, and I think he had mad chemistry with Sasha.  I've always wondered how that storyline might have unfolded had Sasha not left and DPB hadn't gone nuclear about her departure by eliminating any potential future for the character.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 5

Of the main cast, it's a trifecta: Gibbs, Tony, Ducky.

Of supporting characters, Fornell and Papa Gibbs, TomFuckingMorrow! as the Director.

I liked Franks at first, but the more I saw of him, the less I liked him, because Gibbs would fall into line and break the law cuz Franks said so.

But yes, I do agree that we saw the most natural growth and progression with McGee. if only that fucktard, Shane had done the same with Tony after season 4, where you SAW Tony grow, mature and for the better.

I'm grateful that Glassberg, at least has set that to rights.

• Love 2

I actually like all of the main cast and Fornell, who is sorta main cast really. But they all have their times when they can be annoying, just like the girls LOL

But since the girls one was a top 3, i'll do the same here Tony, Ducky and Palmer.

• Love 2

Top 3 for me Ducky, McGee, Gibbs. And tho' I like them in that order - I would watch the show without Ducky or McGee but not without Gibbs

• Love 1

Gibbs, of course, is my favorite male character, followed by Ducky and then McGee.  I am not a big fan of Tony who, as far as I can see, hasn't matured past the paperwad stage.  Tony really needs a few more head slaps followed by a real good ass-chewing from Gibbs. 

• Love 1

Of the main characters, I would say Ducky and Gibbs are my favorites. I don't dislike Tony, Tim, or Jimmy but the boss and the doc are my favorites. Of the recurring guys, Fornell is far and away my favorite. I am quite over seeing DiNozzo Sr., and I will miss Papa Gibbs like mad, but seeing that it's a Tobias episode always makes me happy. (As mentioned in the other thread, Emily Fornell can be on as often as the writers wish to bring her back, but I'd prefer just dad and daughter while we leave the former Mrs. Gibbs-Fornell unseen.)

• Love 2

Ducky FTW! I really enjoyed his character over the years. Gibbs would easily get the number two spot. Keeping Tony and co. in line with a good smack upside the head XD.

Tony is pretty good too, sometimes he gets on my nerves. And Mcgee, he's awesome and so is Jimmy.

• Love 2

I don't know if I'd call him my favorite character, but Tony is up there. I like the dash of silly that he brings to most episodes in a show that would otherwise probably be a little too serious for my taste. For this reason I'm not surprised that Tony hasn't grown or matured much, and I think the show would be worse off if he did.

I'd probably have Ducky as my favorite if he was in most episodes for more than 5 minutes.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 3

Ducky, but I have been in love with David McCallum since he was Illya Kuryakin and in The Great Escape. I've been watching The Man from U.N.C.L.E. often as late and I notice he was wearing a wedding ring. I haven't watched since that night, so I'll be paying attention to see if it's there again. Since Ducky is single, but David is married, nearly 40 years, he doesn't wear a ring as Ducky, I assume, but haven't really noticed. 

• Love 1

My faves are, of course, Ducky and Gibbs.  My third is very obscure, so obscure I don't even remember his name.  There was an episode where candidates for Fleetsy shadowed the team.  The guy totally impressed me (and Gibbs), and I was so hoping TPTB would find a way to bring him back to the team after his time with Fleetsy.

14 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

My third is very obscure, so obscure I don't even remember his name.  There was an episode where candidates for Fleetsy shadowed the team.  The guy totally impressed me (and Gibbs), and I was so hoping TPTB would find a way to bring him back to the team after his time with Fleetsy.

Was that agent Dwayne Wilson from the episode "Collateral Damage" with the dead security guard from the bank robbery on Quantico and the faulty security footage?  If so that's my favorite NCIS episode of all time.

A rare treat - just watched an old episode of Emergency! (S4E22 905-Wild, March 1975) where a very, very young Mark Harmon played an animal control officer who along with his partner rescues a pygmy goat and takes it to Rampart for treatment. The vet clinic was too far, the goat would have died and it was a little girls therapy goat, only they didn't use that term in 1975.  Seeing Gibbs that young was strange. I almost didn't recognize him! 

On 10/17/2016 at 8:21 AM, Skycatcher said:

Yes, I believe you're right MyAimIsTrue.  I distinctly remember the name Dwayne.  He held his own with the team, without coming off as a smartass.  I really hoped they'd find a place for him. Sigh.

Are you guys thinking of the former Marine who we first met because the Navy was trying to create a super soldier?  Something about steroids?  The actor has dark hair?  If so, while not a favorite, I did like him, and wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Favorite Recurring or Guest Characters

1. Fornell

2. Ari

3. Jackson Gibbs

4. Ernie (played by Charles Durning)

5. Young Ducky (played by Adam Campbell)

• Love 1

No, Ohmo.   Dwayne Wilson, the guy I'm talking about, was just a regular guy about to go through the Fleetsy training, who was assigned to Team Gibbs for a short (1 episode) internship. Here's the Wiki page on him.

Dwayne was endorsed by Gibbs after he cleverly stopped an SUV of suspects from getting away by stopping his car and boxing them in under the pretense that he was collecting his nana from the cemetary. A shoot-out ensued, during which he protected the woman, and the suspects were captured. Gibbs smiled at Dwayne's quick thinking and refusal to follow his order to stay by the car. He then told Vance that he recommended Wilson, who he then wished good luck at FLETC.

Edited by Skycatcher