Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Welcome to Soul Food

• Start Topic

“Welcome to Soul Food” – The Butlers and Johnsons decide to go on a double-date and everyone gets more than they bargained for at a new restaurant. Also, Grover invites Malcolm and Marty to be the first guests on his new podcast, on THE NEIGHBORHOOD, Monday, Oct. 21 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

I love this show. Great sitcom to start the week with!

I know a lot of people find Grover annoying (maybe that was more of a thing last season), but I love the scenes with him, Malcolm, and Marty. Especially tonight's episode. That last scene 🤣

• Love 4

It was funny when the guy at the hip restaurant had objections to using the word "reserve" 😄

I liked when Grover asked Marty why doesn't  he have a girlfriend, his reaction was both pityful and entertaining.

But the best part was when Tina insinuated that Malcolm's grandma is in hell.

Also, the final scene killed 🤣 They were on fire this week.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Harvey said:

😄

But the best part was when Tina insinuated that Malcolm's grandma is in hell.

Also, the final scene killed 🤣 They were on fire this week.

The scene with Calvin looking up to heaven and talking to his mama, and Tina saying he was facing the wrong direction cracked me up. The ending was fantastic as well.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, ThisOne said:

I love this show. Great sitcom to start the week with!

I know a lot of people find Grover annoying (maybe that was more of a thing last season), but I love the scenes with him, Malcolm, and Marty. Especially tonight's episode. That last scene 🤣

I’m finding him less obnoxious this season. He’s a little more respectful.

16 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

The scene with Calvin looking up to heaven and talking to his mama, and Tina saying he was facing the wrong direction cracked me up. The ending was fantastic as well.

That was my favorite line. I also laughed at how sweaty the seasoning was making Dave. And “what are chitter-lings?” (I don’t eat them.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I’m finding him less obnoxious this season. He’s a little more respectful.

That was my favorite line. I also laughed at how sweaty the seasoning was making Dave. And “what are chitter-lings?” (I don’t eat them.)

Spoiler

chitterlings-0c7737e88f7c07acc528b9a5.jp

• Love 1

I find it hard to believe that Dave has never heard of hush puppies.  Do they not have Long John Silvers in or near wherever he's from?  I've forgotten -- is it Kalamazoo?

I will buy that he's not heard of chitlins, though, and will also agree that they are kinda gross.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I find it hard to believe that Dave has never heard of hush puppies.  Do they not have Long John Silvers in or near wherever he's from?  I've forgotten -- is it Kalamazoo?

I will buy that he's not heard of chitlins, though, and will also agree that they are kinda gross.

I'm not 100% certain what hush puppies are and I'm from Montreal which I'm assuming is a bigger city than Kalamazoo, lol.

I thought they were shoes, lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Yes, Kalamazoo has a Long John Silvers.😉

K’zoo is not quite the backwater the writers would have you believe - it has two colleges, an art museum and even a symphony orchestra.  It’s population is 22% African-American and two of the last three mayors have been African-American.

Most importantly, Bell’s Brewery is in Kalamazoo.  🍺

Jewel21 - Hush Puppies shoes were invented in another Michigan city, Rockford, which is a little more than a hour from Kalamazoo.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I'm not 100% certain what hush puppies are and I'm from Montreal which I'm assuming is a bigger city than Kalamazoo, lol.

I thought they were shoes, lol.

Hush puppies are small balls of deep fried cornmeal (about the size of golf balls). I think the ones at Long John Silvers have chopped onion in them.

I have had them where sugar was added to the batter; these are good dipped in honey!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Hush Puppies, I believe, are a regional thing.  Head north of the Mason-Dixon line and all bets are off....and watch how you order your iced tea. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, kirkola said:

Hush Puppies, I believe, are a regional thing.  Head north of the Mason-Dixon line and all bets are off....and watch how you order your iced tea. 

So, the Long John Silver's north of the Mason-Dixon line don't sell hush puppies?  And don't advertise (around here, their advertisements include hush puppies -- with photos)?