Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E03: Bruce Springsteen, Robert De Niro, Sienna Miller, Paul Rudd, James Blunt

• Start Topic

On Graham’s sofa tonight: in a rare UK talk show appearance, Bruce Springsteen discusses his new documentary Western Stars. Robert De Niro talks about his role in Martin Scorsese's The Irishman, Sienna Miller talks about family drama American Woman and actor Paul Rudd talks about his new TV series Living with Yourself. Plus music from James Blunt, who performs Cold from his new album.

• Love 1

I thought it was awful!  A big fat zero.

Yes, more words than usual came out of De Niro's mouth than I've ever seen before, but they didn't add up to anything.  When asked what makes Scorsese's and his partnership special, he could have just shrugged and it would have been the same answer as the series of words that he said, which amounted to "I don't know."

I can't remember if it was Miller or Rudd who was telling a story, but De Niro was looking in the complete opposite direction. 

Bruce Springsteen.  Yawn.  That Elvis story was painful, especially when he stopped to explain to the youths that Time and Newsweek were magazines.  He should stick to telling stories in lyrics.

The movie they focused on with Sienna Miller came out months ago.  Maybe she was there as a reminder for awards season, since she uglied herself up for it. 

And the usually charming Paul Rudd got sucked into the vortex of zzzzzzz.

The main problem is that as my mind wandered, I really looked at Graham's facial hair.  Maybe it's better in hi-def, but on my regular TV, the beard and all but the middle of the mustache are almost invisible.  The middle of the mustache is darker.  The result is that he looks like he has a Hitler mustache.

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I thought it was awful!  A big fat zero.

And the usually charming Paul Rudd got sucked into the vortex of zzzzzzz.

The main problem is that as my mind wandered, I really looked at Graham's facial hair.  Maybe it's better in hi-def, but on my regular TV, the beard and all but the middle of the mustache are almost invisible.  The middle of the mustache is darker.  The result is that he looks like he has a Hitler mustache.

I felt like the show was all about De Niro. Graham is usually better at giving a little more time to the other guests, but whenever the other two said anything his follow-up questions seemed to go...to De Niro. 

Hahaha I can see Graham’s beard clearly but now I can’t un-see the dark patch on his facial hair!

• Love 2

I don't think DeNiro is a good guest in general. He's pleasant enough for the most part, but it's clear he doesn't like the promotion part of his job. Which I understand, but it's still a part of his job. You're an actor! Pretend you're having a good time!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think DeNiro is a good guest in general. He's pleasant enough for the most part, but it's clear he doesn't like the promotion part of his job. Which I understand, but it's still a part of his job. You're an actor! Pretend you're having a good time!

Good point. 

Or he could refuse to do it.  He's Robert De Niro, after all.  Surely he can get attached to a film made by his buddy Scorsese without having to do the talk show gauntlet.  And you'd think they wouldn't want him to do it, since he's so bad at it.

I did think it was funny when Paul Rudd realized he was discussing his acting process in front of Robert De Niro.  Fortunately for him, De Niro probably wasn't listening.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I did think it was funny when Paul Rudd realized he was discussing his acting process in front of Robert De Niro. 

And I thought it was funny that Paul Rudd asked DeNiro about de-aging and no one made a joke about Paul's ability to largely look the same for decades on end.

But yes, DeNiro is not a great guest. It might be because he doesn't like doing this or it might just be because he's just kind of boring but he's the kind of guest they should have brought out later so we could focus more on guests who are actually good at this.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Well I enjoyed it. DeNiro is actually very very shy, and I quite enjoyed him letting Trump TOTALLY HAVE IT for trying to be a gangster. Ha.  

I watch the show for great stories and surprisingly delightful guest interactions, not political rants of any stripe.

I will never forget the guy who was talking about seeing his child being born, and fellow guest Emma Thompson was getting details, and asked if he was at the "business end" of things, and he said he was, and added that it was like watching his favorite pub burn down. 

Or when Patrick Stewart told the story about thinking for his entire life that he'd been circumcised, only to find out from his wife, and verified in a subsequent doctor visit, that he hadn't. 

Or a drunk Monuments Men couch. 

That is entertainment.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I will never forget the guy who was talking about seeing his child being born, and fellow guest Emma Thompson was getting details, and asked if he was at the "business end" of things, and he said he was, and added that it was like watching his favorite pub burn down. 

Robbie Williams

• Love 5
On 10/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, aquarian1 said:

I haven't kept up with him, so I was surprised how Bruce Springsteen looked.  Something was very off, like half plastic/half not, and his head seemed ginormous compared to his body.  

He does look a little odd. Plastic surgery perhaps? I used to LOOOOVE him back in the day. The bearded, leather jacketed 70's Springsteen.