Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: My Sweet Boy

raven
  • Start Topic

Chester and Luz have reached a turning point in their relationship; Amy must take matters into her own hands as she's tormented by a powerful nemesis; Chester meets a boy who gives him answers.

Airdate 2019.09.30

• Love 1

At least when I shouted for Amy to drown the bastard in that handy puddle rather than leaving him hurt but able to chase her, the show complied! Brava, girlfriend!

I'm pretty much done with Chester and his self-absorption that leads to tragedy for other people at every turn, but Amy is my hero and I hope Asako and Luz make it out safely by series' end.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4

The timeline is weird. Luz and Chester reconcile and it seemed like a day later she’s saying she’s pregnant again. I can’t understand if Chester’s brother is dead or alive. Why didn’t we see the mother/ghost bringing the brother to the orphanage, only baby Chester.

I’m so confused, so many questions. 

• Love 1

I'm so freaking confused. Didn't Major Bowen stab himself in the eye with a pen last week? And now he's perfectly fine? Or was that someone else? 

If Taizo/Chester had a twin brother then why didn't his Aunt and Uncle bring him home with them too? Why would they only adopt one of the brothers? 

I still don't understand how Yuko got stitched up after she was seemingly incinerated. It's like they don't remember what they wrote from week to week.

How can there still be 2 more episodes? There just wasn't enough story here to fill 10 of them. 

• Love 2

That was Luz' dad who stabbed himself in the eye with a pen, after Yuko possessed him and figured out where Luz and Chester had gone on the map.

There were footprints leading out of the burned-down empty camp building that no one noticed burning, so I presume Yuko's corpse wasn't incinerated, just got a bit crispier and required additional makeover work. Now how she got it back to the US from Guadalcanal in the first place is a mystery I have no idea about. Were Delta baggage handlers a thing in the 1940s?

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I can’t understand if Chester’s brother is dead or alive. Why didn’t we see the mother/ghost bringing the brother to the orphanage, only baby Chester

According to the curandero, the magic takes Chester to the time and place in the photo. If the boy is still alive he won't be there for Chester to see. Since he was there, he's dead and the magic drew him as a spirit. The boy told Chester he was sick and in the hospital when Chester was adopted. Perhaps the parents never knew about him.

• Love 1

Sucks to be Jinko and get called up from the afterlife into amnesiac kid form in a distant past memory by the brother he never knew he had, then hijacked by their crazy mom off to her hand-me-down Yomi garden.

• Love 2

Holy crap, its been like two or three years?! It feels like, in universe, its only been about a year or so. Chester really hasn't even written to his parents in all that time? He is being such a dick to them, who cares that they arent his biological parents, they raised him and loved him for his whole life. What, would he rather have Thanksgiving with his crazy ghost mom? Also, how freaking fertile are Luz and Chester? They just cant stop getting pregnant. 

So I guess Jinko was sickly so he ended up in the hospital and Chester's parents never got him because...nobody bothered to tell them about in? Or did Yuko drop him off earlier because he was sick? Where is adult Jinko, is he dead? Or is he somewhere else and is now stuck in some creepy sandbox of death with his crazy ghost mom? 

Amy is the real hero here, I was yelling at her to not just knock out that asshole and run and she complied! 

• Love 3

That was Luz' dad who stabbed himself in the eye with a pen, after Yuko possessed him and figured out where Luz and Chester had gone on the map.

Thanks Bruinsfan, I guess I need to pay better attention. Or retain better. Or . . . not.

I finally found time to watch this episode. 

I can't believe after everything Luz is pregnant, again. These people never learn, lol. 

Amy killing the bastard was all kinds of wonderful. I, too, am happy she actually finished the job rather than just hitting him once and running away. 

I feel bad for Chester's parents, I can't believe he's been gone for three years and never tried to contact them. They deserve better. 

I feel terrible for Chester's brother being stuck in eternity with his crazy mother. Poor, boy. The actor was a sweetheart, too. 

• Love 2

Chester's dad has been kind of a dick to him too throughout the season, so the fault runs both ways. But Asako has done nothing except care for others at every turn and try to do right by her family. And her reward is to be blamed, forgotten, and used as a puppet by her crazy dead sister. I hope if she runs across Yuko's corpse again, she can get her hands on some thermite!

• Love 1

I feel terrible for Chester's brother being stuck in eternity with his crazy mother. Poor, boy. The actor was a sweetheart, too. 

Yeah, but where was he before then? Maybe he was in Hell. Now I guess he's just in a different kind of hell but at least he gets a nice breakfast every morning. 😊

• LOL 3
On 10/2/2019 at 1:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

Amy is the real hero here, I was yelling at her to not just knock out that asshole and run and she complied! 

Me too!  She took that final step that surely saved her life.  I'm guessing the major  was working up the nerve to kill her.  She is really the hero of the story. I loved it when she said all the Japanese in the camp know about Yuko - he was so scared, lol! 

I love Amy's character.

• Love 5

I think we mostly agree the story itself should have been content to focus on the horrors of life in the internment camp and limited Yuko's involvement there. The most compelling narrative of the season didn't involve Yuko at all, but rather the horrors faced by the imprisoned Japanese community. I still shudder thinking about them having to muck out horse stalls to live in prior to being moved to Oregon. The whole thing is so dehumanizing, the story really doesn't need some weird, unexplained Japanese ghost.

I realize for the sake of continuity the show runners felt a supernatural element had to be included but the way it was done feels intrusive and unnecessary rather than organic. You know what would have worked much better? If Yuko was some vengeful spirit set upon the officers in charge of the interment camp by those imprisoned there. That would have been so much more satisfying than what we're getting.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
On 10/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, Bruinsfan said:

So he is killed himself by stabbing himself in the eye, in what would have to be a very grusome and messy way (what with all the blood on the map), but then Yuko decides she needs to dump the body so that the cops won't be able to figure out her plan? Because a ghost is worried about a murder charge slowing her down. This show is really stupid and makes no sense.

• Love 1