Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E03: The Blind Auditions, Part 3

• Start Topic

Airs September 30, 2019

Coaches Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani, John Legend and Blake Shelton vie to discover and coach the next singing phenomenon on the third night of blind auditions.

I have been wondering about the block.  What would happen if the person being blocked didn't turn around?  When Kelly pushed her block on Blake, he almost didn't.  Would Kelly no longer have a block, or would she be able to use it again?

1 hour ago, tunes2dance2 said:

I have been wondering about the block.  What would happen if the person being blocked didn't turn around?  When Kelly pushed her block on Blake, he almost didn't.  Would Kelly no longer have a block, or would she be able to use it again?

I think once they've used their block, even if it had no effect, they no longer have it.

• Love 2

I agree “Lev” was cool, and it was really adorbs when John went backstage because “I gotta meet the guy who would name his son that”. LOL! I always like when the coaches go and interact with the family and friends there. It was also cool that John got him because he sang a few bars of Lev’s favorite artist. Kelly did the same with the singer who referenced Eva Cassidy.

I really felt for the guy who sang 7 Spanish Angels, unless they didn’t show us more constructive criticism and an invitation to come and try out again next year. I’d rather hear that than the sob story about how he, his wife, and twins are all living in a trailer.

Did Blake give a reason for not turning for the 6’6 country singer? Unless the audition took place after Blake’s team was full.

I liked Josie Jones – I admit to having withdrawal pains from watching the epic “Country Music” Ken Burns documentary, and thought she was a great throwback. She should do quite well.

Hearing that the singer’s brother was risking not getting a heart transplant just to be there for the audition distracted me from her actual performance. Which I guess is another way of saying it didn’t wow me enough. I kept wondering if it’d be better if there weren’t any chair turns, so the brother wouldn’t feel compelled to be there for all the live performances!

It’s corny, but I was amused by the “Don’t Speak” button. I think the Blake/Gwen relationship is perfectly balanced on this show, and I continue to be pleasantly surprised by how thoughtful Gwen is with her comments and pitches. “Little Baby Stevie Nicks” > “I want a little girl.”

Kelly is in the Adam seat now, and maybe that’s why I was a little squicked out when she was raving about the pastor’s son’s model-like looks. I wanted to hear more about what made his rendition have the effect that it did on the coaches who turned for him. I wondered if that's at least partially why he didn't go with her.

I liked that the singer Kelly used her block for (on Blake, of course) went with John instead.

And oh, cliffhanger! Who do y'all think that singer in the pimp spot's gonna pick?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

And oh, cliffhanger! Who do y'all think that singer in the pimp spot's gonna pick?

What the HELL, since when does the voice do cliffhangers. News for you The Voice, we don't care that much!

I hate when they have the back story on a person and they have no chairs turn. Hey, Producers hire some editors. Why show their story if they don't go through.

I wish they would let us know how many spots the coaches have left.

I hate when a singer doesn't get a chair turn then the coaches tells them how they love their voice or what a great singer they are or after they see what they look like say, oh, I should've turned.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Yeah - why aren't they showing the graphic at the end of each night with the people on the teams? Makes me think there will be some production foolery happening. We know there are always some production mandated people who are chosen and then sacrificed quickly, but it seems like the heavy handedness is getting stronger. 

• Love 1

So far I aporeciate that there doesn’t seem to be a Comeback Stage.

The “Don’t Speak” button could have been really annoying but I actually chuckled. I do get tired of Blake telling Kelly to shut up, though.

I really liked the girl who sang “Free Falling.”

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I really felt for the guy who sang 7 Spanish Angels, unless they didn’t show us more constructive criticism and an invitation to come and try out again next year. I’d rather hear that than the sob story about how he, his wife, and twins are all living in a trailer.

2 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I hate when they have the back story on a person and they have no chairs turn. Hey, Producers hire some editors. Why show their story if they don't go through.

I wish they would let us know how many spots the coaches have left.

YES.  If someone doesn't go through I want to hear what they could have done to be a better singer.  And if they have to show a back story, at least shorten it to basically talking about what kind of music they want to play/their influences, etc.

It was several seasons ago, but I STILL remember the awful story about the guy whose twin babies both died - and then he didn't get a chair turn.  Why do that to us?  And why make the guy spill his guts on national TV without doing anything for him?

The pacing seems to be somewhat better this season.  Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like we are seeing shorter packages and more singers.  I like to know where the teams stand because then I know if we'll get a lot of montages (which are completely unfair to the singers by the way.)

• Love 1

I thought this episode was pretty decent.  All of the contestants who got through showed us at least something of interest and I thought both Marybeth and Lev could be potential contenders.  

I have to admit I enjoyed the whole "Don't Speak" thing.   That was pretty good TV.

• Love 1