Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Marianne Faithful

Bort
  • Start Topic

After a member of the British royalty is abducted, Alfred must take a side in the struggle. Meanwhile, Lord Harwood uses those closest to Alfred to remove him from the game.

Airdate: Sunday, September 29, 2019

So he single-handily saved the Queen twice? and then he Fed the Queen? Oh Alfie.

Why does the Queen have a strange accent during the TV speech? That is not the kind of Queen's English I was expecting.

So, did all of the government perish? Is there a designated survivor?

Last but not least, who shot Thomas? and why?

Edited by showme

So a phone call from the queen can get events rolling? The could have hired an impersonator to make phone calls instead of kidnapping the queen.

For a moment on the truck ride, I was thinking why don't Thomas and Martha just shut up and get a room.

The queen was a little too late to tell Alfred not to mention this to anyone. Alfred was already bragging to his friends before he got in the bedroom and to action.

After the butler lost an eye to Hardwood, why did he bother go back to work undercover (only to be hanged by Harwood)? Is the hazard pay that good?

Well, yeah....THAT happened.

Bloody hell. Just when I didn't think this show could get any over the top they have Alfred saving the Queen's life twice and then ummm, well, err.. (insert sexual metaphor here).

What makes this show for me isn't the action (which is fantastic) or even the cinematography (which is utterly gorgeous). It's the character interactions. The Sykes sisters are just made of absolute win and I love the relationship between the utterly insane Lord Harwood and his long suffering assistant, Francis. My favorite couple though is Thomas/Martha. God, how did I ship these two. That conversation in the van is just...priceless. "Oh, you....LIKE me? In a sexual way I mean?" The look on Thomas' face (and everybody else in that scene) is just brilliant.

The ending. Oh well, yeah a bit fanciful and done many times before but I still enjoyed it. The acting is so on point it's just stunning.

I really want a season two. Well done, Bruno Heller. I knew you had another winner in you.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:06 PM, showme said:

Last but not least, who shot Thomas? and why?

I'm assuming it was one of Harwood's Old Guard and probably because he was known to be high up in The No Name League. Harwood had met him previously and of course knew his name from the pilot episode.

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 1

This show you guys. Alfie not only saves the Queen twice, he also saves the UK, and gave the Queen a good shag in between. Of course, now he is going to be stuck dealing with the fact that he had to shoot his dad, who became a suicide bomber. His poor mom. 

I love Thomas and Martha, I am super glad that they finally got that room they so desperately needed. Of course right when they finally admit their mutual attraction and act on it, Thomas gets shot. They've had so many awesome adventures, it makes me sad that we know their lives will end in some dingy alleyway being murdered by some random asshole, even if it does inspire their son to become one of the worlds greatest crime fighters. Unless of course, Joe Chill was actually one of the last Raven Society members out for revenge! 

You know Mr. P, when the people your working with are hanging people from lamp posts and asking you to become a suicide bomber, they might just not be the good guys. 

I love this show, its been a wild ride and a great quirky addition to the Bat-verse and I cant wait to see what happens next! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

They've had so many awesome adventures, it makes me sad that we know their lives will end in some dingy alleyway being murdered by some random asshole, even if it does inspire their son to become one of the worlds greatest crime fighters. Unless of course, the Joe Chill was actually one of the last Raven Society members out for revenge! 

Interesting idea but since this show is done by Bruno Heller, I assume the Waynes were murdered for the reasons given on "Gotham."

Maybe not though. I haven't heard it definitively said that "Pennyworth" is a direct prequel to that show.

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 9:26 AM, mxc90 said:

So a phone call from the queen can get events rolling? The could have hired an impersonator to make phone calls instead of kidnapping the queen.

It makes more sense to kidnap her though.  If you use an impersonator, what's to stop the real queen from countermanding the impersonator's orders?

11 minutes ago, maczero said:

It makes more sense to kidnap her though.  If you use an impersonator, what's to stop the real queen from countermanding the impersonator's orders?

True.

They could kidnap her and only use an impersonator if they felt the queen would mess up following the script or try to tip off the government.

(Now you got me thinking) What was their plan with the queen? She needed to be seen at some point or was everything going to be handled by phone calls?

On 10/9/2019 at 12:28 AM, mxc90 said:

True.

They could kidnap her and only use an impersonator if they felt the queen would mess up following the script or try to tip off the government.

(Now you got me thinking) What was their plan with the queen? She needed to be seen at some point or was everything going to be handled by phone calls?

Even though I love the series, I can't say I've paid the closest attention to the storylines so take my explanation with a grain of salt.   Anyway, here's what I think was the plan. 

Lord No Nose (sorry, I forget his name) finds a member of the royal family who had been living abroad.  He plans to use the exiled royal to challenge the queen's claim if she does not back the Ravens' Society's plans.  Kidnapping the Queen was a reactionary response to what he believed was the government's plot to kill him at the summit.  It was not meant to be the initial plan.  However with the Queen as a hostage, he could use her to make himself Prime Minister and then get rid of her.  He'd then have the exiled royal take the throne.

I'd appreciate any corrections or a validation of this from someone else.

The army is loyal to the queen period, so without the monarchies support you can't take over. If you kidnap the queen or kill her and bring the exiled royalty back to England to take her place you can then get the support of the army and be prime minister,

Why would the Queen allow Alfred to work at Scotland Yard? She should have assigned him to the Palace security team. In the real timeline Charles, Anne & Andrew were already born? So Prince Edward is a Pennyworth bastard????

On 10/2/2019 at 12:14 PM, Philbert said:

Maybe not though. I haven't heard it definitively said that "Pennyworth" is a direct prequel to that show.

This version of Thomas & Martha Wayne would have killed everyone in the alley....no way this can be a prequel....

• Love 2
On 12/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, paigow said:

This version of Thomas & Martha Wayne would have killed everyone in the alley....no way this can be a prequel....

Hehehehhehe. Fair point. On the other hand, I can see this version of Alfred morphing into Sean Pertwee in 25 years.