Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Oakley: Yukon Vet - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My DVR taped the new episode and the one after it. 

More buffalo moving. I guess it's less stressful to move them that way instead of just herding them?

Again with their dog being in heat! And they still want to breed her. She should know better.  And the guy that owned Homer hemming and hawing about having him neutered. I'm glad they finally did it.

That poor dog with the porcupine. Said it was the 4th time and this time it actually got fur! Yeesh.

Poor Pancho and the office cat getting it's nails trimmed. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BookWitch said:

Again with their dog being in heat! And they still want to breed her. She should know better.  And the guy that owned Homer hemming and hawing about having him neutered. I'm glad they finally did it.

I'm glad you mentioned this -- I started to post this yesterday and got tied up with something else.  Didn't this dog already have an unwanted pregnancy that we saw last season, or was it one of their other ones?  I know we had a big discussion about it.

• Love 2

I am not at all surprised she is still letting her dogs breed; it's not as if the issues with that can possibly be unknown to her, so she obviously doesn't give a shit.  It's why I quit watching (but I watch so few shows, I keep the forums for even the ones I used to watch on my customized home page here to see what folks are posting).

That's disgusting behavior from a vet, because even setting aside contributing to the homeless pet overpopulation crisis (it doesn't matter if she secures homes for her particular puppies; millions of animals are euthanized each year in this country because there are more of them than there are available homes, so shitting more puppies out into that reality is appalling, because if she hadn't, those homes - especially with the availability of rescue transports - could have gone to existing dogs, not those she chose to add to the problem), she is putting her dogs at risk of pyometra and mammary cancer down the line, two potentially fatal diseases early spaying practically guarantees will never occur. 

For a veterinarian of all pet owners to willingly subject her pets to such significant and unnecessary risk is a disgrace.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
On 10/24/2021 at 11:19 AM, nitrofishblue said:

It was so sad to see Steve lose Isis. He may be weird but he loved his wolves and really cares.

I would be interested to see his wife.  Though eccentric, he has a huge heart.

Was the Oakley's clinic always in that building with the big steeple/chimney thing?  For some reason, I don't remember that from earlier seasons.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I would be interested to see his wife.  Though eccentric, he has a huge heart.

Was the Oakley's clinic always in that building with the big steeple/chimney thing?  For some reason, I don't remember that from earlier seasons.

Last season was the first time it was shown.  Prior to that, I believe she would just come in to Haines to do day clinics.  I am not sure if she still has her clinic in Haines Junction, Yukon.  I know Covid caused a lot of things to change and she may have been in Haines, Ak (they have a house there) when everything was shut down and she just opened the clinic.

2 hours ago, iluvobx said:

Last season was the first time it was shown.  Prior to that, I believe she would just come in to Haines to do day clinics.  I am not sure if she still has her clinic in Haines Junction, Yukon.  I know Covid caused a lot of things to change and she may have been in Haines, Ak (they have a house there) when everything was shut down and she just opened the clinic.

Thanks!  That's what I thought but all these vet shows have started to run together, so I wasn't sure.

23 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Yeah, Steve is a bit needy and the cameras amp that up. I did not know he is married. I thought he was living out there alone, with the animals.

Well, put it this way, he's wearing a wedding band, and I assumed he was married.  Maybe he's married to the animals, I don't know 😉

This is a correction to the previous post. The new season premieres Saturday April 8th, 2023 at 10PM. I half listen when ads are on so I misheard the date.                                                                                                    

• Useful 1

Last night's show (April 22, 2023) was so heartbreaking to watch. It had my eyes watering all over my face. The emotions were real from the family as Maya's pug Daisy May passed.  They tried so hard to save her but the stress was to much for the baby.

Dr. Oakley was working on a deer at the AWLC when Daisy crashed. She ran to try and save Daisy then went back to revive the deer. You could see on her face how worried she was. The deer was just fine.

At the start of the episode she was helping a bison ranch owner try to round up a new herd she had bought and get them moved to an island. Seems that bison are not so dumb. They were able to get just 5 out of the 64 bison corralled and that happened by mistake. The herd split and the 5 went into another farmer's corral. They will have to try again a bit later.

5 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Is there a new season or was this a repeat episode?

It was a new episode. And there are more in the loop. I watched another on On Demand and it was a good one. Seems that Animal Planet has been ruined by Disney and Paramount+. They have removed so many of the good shows and replaced them with shows with basically no connection to animals. Insane Pools, wow something I will never watch and that is just one example.

• Useful 1

I have enjoyed the most recent episodes. Watching the team wrangle those cows to get the one they wanted onto the boat. I have to say that Dr. Oakley's two daughter have grown into some beautiful ladies. I love the way the work with their mother. It will be sad when they have to leave the show to continue their education. Both will make GREAT vets. They have a great future in front of them.

The show is on HULU now so I started watching what I believe is the latest season.

I never thought I'd say this about my adored Dr. Oakley, but I found myself bored by the endless scenes of bison running hither and yon.

Condolences to the family for the loss of Daisy Mae. I related to their despair over having to choose between euthanasia (She's still eating! It's too soon!) and going to heroics to keep her alive. My last Labrador (aged 15) taught me that painful lesson. If they are suffering, it's time to end that suffering. And to remember that dogs try to hide their suffering, so it may be worse than their loving humans realize.

Shane and Willow have disappeared. Perhaps production won't pay Shane, and I assume Willow made the choice. (There was a peek of her at Daisy Mae's waterwide memorial.)

Shallow comment: Sierra has the most gorgeous head of hair.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:14 AM, nitrofishblue said:

It will be sad when they have to leave the show to continue their education. Both will make GREAT vets. They have a great future in front of them.

Both of them returned from undergrad to do filming while away at school. Sierra is now away in Aus at vet school and Maya seems to split her time with trying to break into entertainment work in LA. I don't think she wants to be a vet. 

I'm glad they finally addressed the girls' futures, although I understand their desire for privacy. In season two, Maya and Dr. Oakley discussed her moving to Hollywood to try to break into showbiz, and it was never mentioned again until this season.

I wonder why Sierra chose Australia for her education? Adventure? Scholarship? Great schools? I guess she feels a kinship after her volunteer work following the horrible fires. She's a fantastic vet tech for her mother and I know she is missed terribly.

The howling dog was hilarious. He was like an ambulance.

Laughing at Dr. Oakley's abscess love. Which could be a bizarre name for a band.

Monster was a tiny terror, endlessly chasing all the girls he could not pull.

52 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I wonder why Sierra chose Australia for her education? Adventure? Scholarship? Great schools? I guess she feels a kinship after her volunteer work following the horrible fires. She's a fantastic vet tech for her mother and I know she is missed terribly.

Yes, that's exactly why -- her time, helping during the fires, made her want to study there.

On 4/23/2023 at 2:36 AM, nitrofishblue said:

Last night's show (April 22, 2023) was so heartbreaking to watch. It had my eyes watering all over my face. The emotions were real from the family as Maya's pug Daisy May passed.  They tried so hard to save her but the stress was to much for the baby.

Dr. Oakley was working on a deer at the AWLC when Daisy crashed. She ran to try and save Daisy then went back to revive the deer. You could see on her face how worried she was. The deer was just fine.

Thanks for posting this with the episode date. I've been busy and then traveling, and now that I'm home I wanted to catch up on this series. Your post helped me to find the episode on demand. I was in tears about Daisy, although her increasing physical problems were obvious in earlier episodes. Dr. Oakley's anxiety was so obvious when they discovered Daisy had crashed, and scrambled to try to resuscitate her. But as you said she went right back to finish up working on the deer. 

It has to be extra hard for vets to handle emergencies with their own pets. I remember an episode of Heartland Docs DVM, when Erin, Ben, and the boys had one of their little dogs under anesthesia at the clinic (I can't remember why) and suddenly the monitors showed he wasn't breathing. Erin went into overdrive, thought the oxygen machine wasn't working or something, rushed the dog to another table IIRC. Anyway her stress, as shown in her movements and voice, was obvious, but the dog was revived and it all turned out fine. She said in a later scene that the oxygen machine was fine, and the crisis was from something like the dog reacting badly to the anesthetic, IIRC. I like the show, have watched probably all the episodes more than once, and that's the nearest to rattled/upset that I've ever seen her. 

• Like 2

Man, am I pissed at Spectrum and Disney. I was happy when I read that they had settled their issues and regular programming would restart. That turns out to be one big LIE. Not all the shows are being restarted. Nat Geo and Nat Geo Wild will not be returned right away. They say that in a few months they will be shown on Disney+ supposedly at no cost to viewers. To be honest I find this to a terrible idea. I want nothing to do with Disney and refuse to add Disney+ to my play list. That means I am losing Dr. Pol and Dr. Oakley. The rest of the shows mean nothing to me!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They only settled to bring certain channels but not all.  To my knowledge, they are still in negotiations-or at least that is what I was told.  I do have a Disney+ subscription but even there, they have not started showing the new season of Dr. Oakley.  Disney said they will be available in Oct.  Such BS between them!

On 9/18/2023 at 9:39 AM, iluvobx said:

They only settled to bring certain channels but not all.  To my knowledge, they are still in negotiations-or at least that is what I was told.  I do have a Disney+ subscription but even there, they have not started showing the new season of Dr. Oakley.  Disney said they will be available in Oct.  Such BS between them!

Since I made this remark, I have learned that Spectrum has dropped NatGeoWild, Freeform, Disney Jr and around 6+ more channels.

Spectrum did not make that clear when they made their announcement about ESPN & ABC.  If you want Disney+ channels, you will be able to get them from Spectrum Streaming and the cost for it will be included in your Spectrum bill.  I was beyond livid when I talked with Spectrum yesterday and finally got someone who was willing to tell me that.  Don't get me wrong, I love ESPN during college football & basketball season but not the rest of the time.  I watch more NatGeoW than I do ESPN.

I told Spectrum that once again, I, the customer has been royal screwed again and I will need to rethink Spectrum.  I got the number to retention very fast.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, iluvobx said:

Since I made this remark, I have learned that Spectrum has dropped NatGeoWild, Freeform, Disney Jr and around 6+ more channels.

Spectrum did not make that clear when they made their announcement about ESPN & ABC.

The full press release did lay out that Disney can no longer force Spectrum to carry all of those fringe channels in the packages of at least 80% of their customers, which is what Disney traditionally stipulates in their contracts with cable and satellite companies. 

So back of the envelope math tells me that Disney traded off forcing Spectrum to collect about $2 a month from 11 million subscribers for all of the dropped channels in exchange for $2 more every month for ESPN, Disney, ABC, NatGeo, FX and so on. (Give or take those rates. Disney probably got more from the increases on the channels they kept than lost from the ones they dropped.)

Like most traditional cable TV companies at this point, Spectrum is totally fine with subscribers dropping their cable TV packages all together and just streaming everything. That's how they got Disney, who typically "negotiates" by offering take our rate increases or we're shutting you off, to actually trade off costs and agree to give Spectrum customers who are already paying for Disney content the access to Disney+ and the ESPN streaming services. 

Spectrum basically told Disney, we can live without you, because we can live without video customers, and let's see how you do without the $2.2 Billion dollars we're collecting from our customers and handing directly to you this year. Plus all the advertising dollars that Disney would lose.

The poor customer service agent can't tell you that they don't care if you drop video, but I can. Selling video services as a cable company is kind of like selling homeowners insurance to people in a flood zone. There's only two viable ways to stay in business: Either you charge unbelievably high rates to cover the cost that it will absolutely end up costing, or you offer the package but don't include everything. 

• Like 2

Thank you JTMacc99 for this explanation. Having dropped cable two years ago, I am occasionally bewildered by the evolving business model, terminology, and packaging for streaming services. Initially they were manageable, but the rates are increasing and once again, like cable, I am paying for stuff I will never watch. This is exactly why I left cable.

Like Iluvobx (hello Outer Banks!) I want certain channels only during SEC football. I want certain animal shows and certain home renovation shows.

Apple TV+ is weird. I canceled it for six months, tried to activate it again, and it wouldn't accept my login credentials. Battled the red tape to get hold of a live customer service agent. In order to recover my account, I have to wait TWO WEEKS and then be available for recovery communications at 5:32pm exactly on a day this week. It is confounding and infuriating.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Mind Blown 1