Type keyword(s) to search

Edward Nygma: Riddler/Forensic Scientist

darkestboy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

edward.jpg

A brilliant young forensic scientist working at Gotham PD with a penchant for speaking in, um, cryptic language

There doesn't seem to be a thread for him and with Cory Michael Smith (who looks more like someone you'd cast as Robin if the characters in the show were older) being a series regular, I thought a thread would be appropriate now.

I'm intrigued by the idea of Nygma actually working as forensic scientist with Gotham PD. It's um ... different.

Edited by darkestboy
  • Love 1

CBR has an interview with Cory Michael Smith.

In terms of constructing [the character], for me, is understanding that this is a guy that operates in numbers and facts, questions and answers, riddles, puzzles. That's where he feels comfortable. He lacks social awareness, lacks interpersonal skills, and so I get to play this guy, someone that I've never played before, who's not an evil person. In all the comics, he doesn't harm people. He's under-appreciated, and so he tries to show people how smart he is, and that he's smarter than people. And so he says, "Something horrible will happen if you don't figure this out. Go figure it out." To get there, what we're doing is setting him up in a situation where people don't understand him, don't appreciate him, mistreat him, slightly abuse him. And when someone is in that circumstance, you can either say, "All right, I'm leaving, and I'm going to go where someone does appreciate me," or what's maybe more interesting and what we're doing is, "I'm going to make you appreciate me.'
  • Love 1

So, now that we've seen him in more than one scene in an episode.... it seems he has a bit of a crush!  Too bad Kristen Kringle thinks he's weird as all get-out.

Edited by MarkHB

So, now that we've seen him in more than one scene in an episode.... it seems he has a bit of a crush! Too bad Kristen Kringle thinks he's weird as all get-out.

I vaguely rememeber The Riddler having a couple of female sidekicks called Query and Echo at some point. I wonder if Ms Kringle could play into that in the future.

Edited by Agent Dark

I like that the Show makes sure to show us that Ed is actually a very observant, book-smart guy who is very good at his job. It's his people-skills that aren't very well developed. He's faster with the "this crossed some line, didn't it" with Bullock and Gordon. He missed a whole storm of cues when interacting with Ms. Kringle.

The bullet in the cupcake was more like weird performance art than a riddle.  A bad idea either way.  You can tell he's getting frustrated by the responses he's getting from everyone, though I'm sure he'll be gloating that he recommended that Gordon wear rubber soles.

• Love 2

Does anyone know if Ed is in-show certified for the M.E.'s job?  That he's not the current M.E. because Singh was already in the position? It's a given that cronyism and corruption are the go-to reasons in Gotham, but even Quincy and other TV M.E.s had assistants. Couldn't Ed work as CSI and assist the M.E.?  (I also know, show reason- tension to help push our fave sociopath-medical side into doing something.)

Corey Michael Smith is owning the role and I enjoy him, even when he's creepy. Currently, Ed is nice, but awkward, and in possession of a very gross nasty streak. Yet, you can understand him. Agreeing is a different animal, but CMS is great fun to watch. I love Edward's face; great expressions and reactions!

I am looking forward to next week with him and Robin Lord Taylor!

I didn't mind him resorting to planting body parts to getting that ME fired. His actions now mean that Leslie will end up as the replacement and perhaps she and Nygma might get along.

The ongoing story with him and Kringle is great too. Seems like she's sort of softening towards him too.

Count me in on looking forward to Nygma and Cobblepot meeting as well next week.

I didn't mind him resorting to planting body parts to getting that ME fired. His actions now mean that Leslie will end up as the replacement and perhaps she and Nygma might get along.

There's a chance they'd get along, because I can see her asking Gordon about Nygma, and Gordon being completely honest about Nygma's intelligence and ability.  So I don't see her undercutting Nygma, and actually working with him.

Cory Michael Smith has been fantastic in his role.  This show when all is said and done just might be able to say they gave us the definitive Riddler and Penguin.  Penguin looks to be a no brainer, but with Cory Michael Smith's performance and how they've written Nygma, this version of Riddler looks to be on the track to become just that.

• Love 2

I hope they do get along. A Nygma/Thompkins team could be a lot of fun.

Plus with the exception of Bullock, Flass and tertiary extras at the station - Gordon likes Nygma, Essen does too and Kringle seems to be warming to him as well. Not all bad for Ed, right?

• Love 1

Bullock gets annoyed by the riddles, but I think he does value Ed's abilities.  It sounded like Essen has given Ed a fair amount of slack up to this point.

I'm also intrigued by the brief glimpse of Ed and Oswald.  Birds of a feather?

• Love 1