Type keyword(s) to search

Harold Finch: The Machine's Daddy

I almost called this thread "Harold Finch: Exposition Guy" since they make Finch explain most of the technical concepts on the show to the audience via his dialogue with the team. I think Michael Emerson does a fairly good job delivering that sort of dialogue without sounding too condescending.

Emerson is an acting god, and I derive tremendous pleasure seeing him behind Finch's vests and ties.

I have a personal irony story behind this character, that other viewers may share.  Back in the days when he was the lovingly terrible Benjamin Linus, Emerson gave an interview in which he disclosed his sheer ignorance of all things having to do with... oh, god... computers.  An endearing doofus just about able to send emails and read the news.

I've been laughing my ass off since 2011 seeing him in this role.  And he sells Finch so well.

I have loved Micheal Emerson since he was a "Hey, it's that guy!" to me appearing on Law & Order and other shows.  Then he was Ben Linus on Lost - there may be a lot wrong with that show but this character was not one of them.  He continues to shine here in POI.  Finch is one of my favorite characters, period, and not just on this show. So much complexity, so much depth, but still not showing much to others.  He's a hard nut to crack and with reason, but ME shows all these subtleties.  

• Love 1

Been watching reruns on and off the last few months and I've come to adore Finch. I love the way he speaks, the ways he can be quietly bad ass, the way he sees and assesses. It's not easy playing such a self-contained character and Emerson makes it effortless. It's such a treat watching his scenes, especially with Reese.

• Love 2
(edited)

One of those fun bits of randomness -- I was watching the movie The Core and for the first time I heard the real name of the character of "Rat" the hacker who is tagged to -hack the planet- to control information feeds.  According to the FBI agents who kick down the door, his name is Mr. Finch!

Edited by elle
(edited)

He (probably through a front since the ferry bombing) co-owns IFT, the software/tech company Nathan and he built. (Nathan's son Will owns the other half, though he just uses the proceeds to allow him to be a relief-group doctor.) Finch told Reese back in the beginning that he was already a rich man when 9/11 happened, plus he also appears to be very good at investing.

Edited by wilnil
11 hours ago, wilnil said:

He (probably through a front since the ferry bombing) co-owns IFT, the software/tech company Nathan and he built. (Nathan's son Will owns the other half, though he just uses the proceeds to allow him to be a relief-group doctor.) Finch told Reese back in the beginning that he was already a rich man when 9/11 happened, plus he also appears to be very good at investing.

Thank you. I figured he made some money with Nathan, but I didn't think they ever fully explained his extreme wealth.

11 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Thank you. I figured he made some money with Nathan, but I didn't think they ever fully explained his extreme wealth.

Also, in "The Fix" when he took down the pharmaceutical company that was trying to cover up trial results for the bad drug they were selling, he made a ton of money doing something complicated (to me at least) with his shares of their stock.

On 05/31/2016 at 2:50 PM, CoderLady said:

Also, in "The Fix" when he took down the pharmaceutical company that was trying to cover up trial results for the bad drug they were selling, he made a ton of money doing something complicated (to me at least) with his shares of their stock.

Not complicated at all.

The most basic way to trade securities is "buy low, sell high..".  You think/hope the price goes up while you own it.

When you "short" a stock, you think/risk the price will fall. You are in effect first selling at today's $10 price, then buying it back next day/week/month/year at a $1 price.

Finch had every reason to know the stock would crash. The ethical/legal question is: did he have inside knowledge ahead of time. That's not kosher & if the SEC noticed...... We can assume Harold covered his tracks very well.

Your brokerage has to in effect rent that stock from someone, and they will not trust you -- you must have other assets to cover their risks. They charge you "margin interest" and other fees.