Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Paulie, Georgia is a Really Small Town

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Welp. There was some discussion last week in the S02.E01 thread about Sundance on DirecTV, so I figured I'd offer a heads-up to @AuntiePam and anybody else who might have discovered that their DTV DVR didn't record S02.E02 last night.

Evidently, sometime over the last 7 days, DirecTV quietly went ahead and dropped Sundance from my "Choice Xtra" package altogether. Lovely.

I've triple-verified. Channel 557 is now grayed out on the on-screen guide. Attempts to record Rectify via On Demand are met with an on-screen "Would you like to add this channel to your programming?" message. And the package-comparison channel list on DTV's web site confirms that Sundance is no longer included in the package.

Given that "Choice Xtra" is the most popular (and basically the default) DirecTV package, I suspect that there will be literally dozens of pissed off Rectify viewers wondering what gives. That. That's what gives.

Sundance is still available on DirecTV, in all its stretched-and-letterboxed standard-definition 480i glory, as part of the "Premier" and "Ultimate" packages. For me, the "upgrade" would cost $8/mo. And as a practical matter, 10 episodes of Rectify is all that $96/yr would buy me. So, as much as I enjoy this awesome show, I'm afraid that'll be a wrap for me until season 2 hits Netflix. Screw you, DTV.

Unfortunately, as long as DirecTV is the exclusive carrier of the NFL package, they've got me by the undies.

The NFL package is worthless unless your team is not local. Even then, NFL Network's Redzone could cover most of your needs most likely.

Has anyone seen Ray McKinnon's short film "The Accountant"? It apparently won an Oscar in 2002 and stars him and Walton Goggins, and it is quite brilliant and beautiful. The man is a genius behind and in front of the camera.

Oh, and I just took the quiz, and apparently I would only last one day in a small town like Paulie. Guess I'm a city gal at heart. (Though I would live just about anywhere in Ontario, small town or not.)

Edited by Mindy McIndy

Semi o/t, but I don't see a chatter thread, and I wanted to mention that if you like Rectify, there's a chance you may like Transparent, another indie family serial, produced by Amazon. That was a long sentence. Transparent is lighter in tone but still grapples with a lot of big questions with nuance and precision.

Just saw a commercial on Sundance—new season starts in July.

Yay! Thanks @editorgrrl, I was just starting to wonder when it would start up again but wasn't sure where to look for that info. Voila, here it was. Can't wait. Need to rewatch the previous season though as I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, that's the worst part of these short seasons show but with a brilliant show like Rectify I don't really complain about having to rewatch it :D

• Love 1

Yeah, I saw the commercial whilst watching the season premiere of The Red Road, during which I felt a little lost—even with the "previouslies."

This board's way more active than that one, though, so I might just prep by rereading rather than rewatching.

• Love 1

Looks like a marathon is running on AMC or at least my dvr recorded the 1st and 2nd eps of season one so far.  I rewatched the first one and was struck all over again how beautiful and sad I found this show to be.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Has anyone seen Ray McKinnon's short film "The Accountant"? It apparently won an Oscar in 2002 and stars him and Walton Goggins, and it is quite brilliant and beautiful. The man is a genius behind and in front of the camera.

Yes, streamed it -- it's excellent.

McKinnon is also in a 2009 movie based on a short story by William Gay.  Gay is one of the best "southern" writers around.  Scott Teems directed, and Walton Goggins is in it too.  Here's a link to the Amazon DVD -- http://www.amazon.com/That-Evening-Sun-Hal-Holbrook/dp/B003UM8T12-- and it's also available for streaming.  Hal Holbrook plays a man who flees a retirement home to go back to his farm, only to find out that his son (Goggins) has rented it to trash (McKinnon).

ETA:  This season of Rectify looks different on my TV.  It's not "fat" anymore -- no more black space on the sides -- I don't know the technical word.  But it looks great, much more natural.

Edited by AuntiePam
  • Love 1

Yes, streamed it -- it's excellent.

McKinnon is also in a 2009 movie based on a short story by William Gay.  Gay is one of the best "southern" writers around.  Scott Teems directed, and Walton Goggins is in it too.  Here's a link to the Amazon DVD -- http://www.amazon.com/That-Evening-Sun-Hal-Holbrook/dp/B003UM8T12-- and it's also available for streaming.  Hal Holbrook plays a man who flees a retirement home to go back to his farm, only to find out that his son (Goggins) has rented it to trash (McKinnon).

ETA:  This season of Rectify looks different on my TV.  It's not "fat" anymore -- no more black space on the sides -- I don't know the technical word.  But it looks great, much more natural.

Do you have DirecTV? Because they updated Sundance to HD a few months back from SD, and now the show looks much better.

Downloaded and watched That Evening Sun.  Everyone is wonderful in it.  Goggins character is toned down from his Shield/Justified roles, Holbrook is amazing, and McKinnon is menacing yet sympathetic.

But don't watch it if you're a dog person.

• Love 1
(edited)

I rewatched the ending of season 1 episode 5 (drip, drip, drip) to refresh my memory wrt Daniel's assault on Teddy which -- as I remembered -- IMHO, was not an attempt to "humiliate him" but to illustrate that sometimes there are forces against which no resistance is possible (this was indeed after Teddy asking Daniel if he had fought against his rapist or if he had just sat back and enjoyed it) ... to which -- for the second time Daniel had assured Teddy that he had no understanding of what he was talking about ...Teddy also declared that Daniel was to consider Tawny "off limits" and to stay the hell way from him as well -- all very dog-y-dog territorial macho posturing answered with an understandable "you're not the boss of me" .... 

I had forgotten how very very hostile Teddy was towards Daniel.  In a previous episode, as I recall, he had admitted that he believed Daniel was guilty (very "where there's smoke" thinking -- "obviously" they wouldn't have convicted him if there hadn't been "smoke") ... Anyway, Teddy insists that "Daniel wanted to humiliate me" -- when in face, imho, Daniel was trying to teach Teddy a couple of lessons -- one being that he doesn't know what he talking about wrt resisting when being gang raped ... but more importantly, that shit happens against/about which you have no agency, no leverage to change the course of events (unless you have a sister named Amantha) ...but that Teddy has now managed to tell "through the grapevine" about his being "assaulted" in this bizarre fashion -- something that in fact no one needed to know about ... they also know that he was assaulted in this bizarre fashion and that he attempted to, but failed to bring changes that he now claimed he never wanted to bring ... (I'm not sure why the sheriff told him it was too late) ... needless to say, Teddy really doesn't think things through very well ... since IF Daniel had in fact wanted to humiliate him, he would have ensured there was an audience ... and there was none. And Teddy wasn't injured, and everyone has only Teddy's word on what happened and why. 

It wasn't a "wise" thing for Daniel to do but it really plays up Teddy's rather pathetic need to be the victim -- even when he is -- even when his life is/was near picture perfect until Daniel showed up.... He keeps reminding me of Mollie Ivins on GWB -- He was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple ... though probably second base would be more accurate. I do wonder WTF Jared thinks about Teddy.   Loved the detail of Teddy making a big deal out of getting him a beer -- mano a mano -- not knowing that Jared doesn't like beer. oh well. I'm guessing that except when there was actual news or a visit by Amantha, Teddy lived a fairly Daniel-free life most of the time ... the spoiled and indulged heir apparent. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 3

I was listening to the local public radio station this morning.  Dan Gable was being interviewed.  Dan won Olympic Gold as a wrestler and coached the Iowa State University team to many national championships.  Outside of The Music Man and Herbert Hoover, he's probably the most famous Iowan.

Anyway, Dan's sister was murdered when Dan was a teenager.  He said it nearly destroyed his parents' marriage, and that one night when mom and dad were having a particularly violent argument, Dan told them he'd had enough, and he went into his sister's bedroom, which had been kept as a shrine -- just like Hanna's -- and said "This is my room now."  He said that was the start of healing in the family.  They didn't forget the loss, of course, but they were able to start moving on. 

I hope we see something happen with Judy Dean and Bobby. 

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, AuntiePam said:

Anyone know why the DVD/Blu-Ray sets are so pricey?  I wanted to buy them for my daughter, who doesn't have cable or streaming capability.  But dang -- they're really expensive. 

You're daughter is probably better off signing up for a free weekly trial on Netflix or paying for a full month ($9.99) and watching the whole series in one fell swoop.

3 hours ago, JBC344 said:

You're daughter is probably better off signing up for a free weekly trial on Netflix or paying for a full month ($9.99) and watching the whole series in one fell swoop.

She doesn't have internet, at all.  I know, it's weird in this day and age, but she's on a budget -- and sticking to it. 

What about a Netflix DVD subscription? She could get a month-long free trial to start, and if she needs it longer, you can get a gift card to cover more time (at stores that have gift cards for other retailers, or at Amazon). I'm assuming they have all the Rectify DVDs; their customer service could probably verify.