Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Return of the Masks, Groups A&B

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, blackwing said:

I see you point on clues for contestants who weren't on the episode being discussed in the Clues thread, but I don't see why we can't discuss the Clues that were aired on the episode in the episode thread?  It makes sense to me.  Otherwise, what is left to discuss in the episode thread?  Just the performances themselves?  And the (mostly extraneous) panellists?

That's how I see it too.   It seems to me that the whole point of coming here is to discuss the clues and share our guesses.  I don't know what else we would talk about if we didn't do that.

Edited by DebbieM4
too many extra words!
  • Love 5
On 9/29/2019 at 10:53 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

Here is who's performing on Wednesday's episode:

Black Widow

Flamingo

Leopard

Panda

I assumed the remaining 8 would be performing?  Is it only an hour this week instead of two?

• Love 2

My inner cynic sees the Ninja casting as a bit of a stunt to get some early social media buzz among the all-important young male high-disposable income target advertising audience. 

He did a decent job and didn’t embarrass himself, but I can’t imagine he thought he’d last longer than it took him to cash in on his fame till he can’t no more.

We might see something similar in the next couple of episodes: one decent but clearly non-professional singer who is there more for the early-season audience building than as a truly competitive talent. Given the fun karaoke vibe of the show, I’m not even all that upset by it.

Trivia: Johnny Weir was the first name mentioned for season one, as a guess for the Peacock. 

• Love 1

Re: The Skeleton, during the Sneak Peek when I searched just for the number 4261 I found it was the episode number for a Sesame Street in which Andy Samberg guest starred. I was sure it would be him! Ha ha. Obviously it's not. But it's funny that it is a person who was on SNL for a time.

• Love 1
On 9/25/2019 at 11:06 PM, Unraveled said:

Johnny Weir has a pretty decent singing voice. I have no idea who the gamer is, but he seemed fun too.

Please take Jenny McCarthy and her anti-vaccine self off. Everything about her is grating. I also think she's had some more work done between seasons.

I don't have a particular favorite yet, but it looks like the two of the weakest singers were kicked off.

I'm curious about the Ladybug and her famous family.

As always, we have to take into account that these contestants are desperate enough for reality TV. I don't think Zooey Deschanel or Cara Delevingne, for example, would do this show.

They did pick a better batch of singers these year. None of them were horrible.

I figured out Johnny Weir and the gamer, but his name escaped me. Honestly, I wouldn’t have known who he was if I didn’t see him on Celebrity Family Feud. 

On 9/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, AZChristian said:

Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin are too tall.

Paul Shaffer (my guess for Skeleton) was at one time a featured member of the Not Ready for Prime Time Players ("wild and crazy guys" connection) and produced an album on which Aretha Franklin sang Otis Redding's "Respect."

Interesting clues. I would have said Martin Short myself actually because I didn’t know that information you Kenya.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, Barcelie said:

Tree is Ana Gasteyer. 

Clues: 30 = 30 Rockefeller Center, home of ....

Tv = SNL, where her most famous sketch is shown every year.  The...

Christmas = Schweddy Balls sketch.

Shes a trained singer, but on the show, she only ever sang in a comical way.

Good clues and interesting guess! 

On 9/26/2019 at 10:18 AM, Eyes High said:

You may be on to something. Ana Gasteyer also has a Christmas-themed album and tour coming up; going on the show would be a great way to promote it.

Here's a video from Playbill of Ana Gasteyer singing Defying Gravity for comparison's sake:

I was just thinking that this show seems like an excellent place for SNL alums. A lot of them are talented singers.

Ooh interesting!! Could be it. Thanks for sharing the Video! 

On 9/26/2019 at 10:33 AM, Princess Consuela said:

Pretty sure Thingamajig is Victor Oladipio - he's 6'4 & can sing.  His Jersey number is 4 (as is his birthday) - was drafted by the Magic & now plays for the Pacers (colors are blue & gold) - hes been rehabbing from a knee injury so it wouldn't be surprising that he did this before the new season starts.

They did mention magic and pacers and other basketball related clues, so you could be on to something. 

On 9/26/2019 at 1:02 PM, blackwing said:

Great premiere.  I thought the performances were great.  There were some that are obviously better singers than others but overall pretty much everyone could at least sing well, unlike last season when we had people like Tori Spelling and Terry Bradshaw stinking it up.

Butterfly is someone from England who has had a hard time in the past year.  Great voice.  I agree with the suggestion of Mel B.  

Egg was so obviously Johnny Weir as soon as they showed that swan stuffed animal.  

Thingamajig - basketball player who wore #4?

Skeleton sounded a lot like Mike Myers to me.

I really liked the Ladybug, she seems to lack confidence but I thought she was great.  Famous family, she was guessed last year, I think Paris Hilton.

Rottweiler was great and is clearly a professional.  I agree with the panel's general suggestion of boybander.  But no way is that Brian Littrell.  Didn't sound like him at all.  I do think he sounded a bit like JC Chasez.  He had a much better voice than Justin yet Justin went solo and got all the attention.  I do wonder if he's ever been resentful.  He was going to do a halftime show or something and have his breakout moment but got dropped after the Justin/Janet Nipplegate.  He saw Joey Fatone doing this last season and he was probably the first person on the phone to call the producers and try to revive his dead career.

I loved the Tree's performance, have absolutely no clue about who she could be.  I don't think Ana Gasteyer would be a particularly good catch for the show... I mean she's talented but she's so yesterday's news.  Saturday Night Live must have been about 20 years ago for her?  I would think the show could attract more relevant personalities?

Ice Cream - my son plays Fortnite so I have heard of Ninja but apart from that I would have had no clue who he is.

As to the panellists... nothing has changed from last year.  Robin Thicke to me is far and away the best judge.  Nicole is second best and was looking especially fantastic in that slinky white dress.  Jenny is still useless.  Ken by far is the most irritating.  I tolerated him last season but this season he has already shown himself to be even more annoying than ever.  He's not funny at all, he dances stupidly, and he just seems ever so pleased with himself.

I was thinking Mel B too for the butterfly.

On 9/28/2019 at 6:18 AM, lynxfx said:

Speaking of not knowing people, they guessed Lindsay Lohan while she is currently a judge on Masked Singer Australia. She also apparently doesn't know many of their local celebs and has produced a number of gaffs. 

I mean, considering she'd literally never been to Australia before filming it, she's doing a pretty damn good job. Like I think we all knew she was going to overestimate the pull and target demographic of Australia's third-ranked TV channel (no, Lindsay, they didn't spend the show's budget getting the director of Black Swan to dress as a wolf), but considering she somehow got an Australian rugby player from the 1990s correct, she's a better fit for the show than the US panel seems to be.

Also I'm amazed Rottweiler's backup dancers' BDSM puppy fetish hoods got past the censors. Hilarious.

• Love 2
On 10/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, SnideAsides said:

I mean, considering she'd literally never been to Australia before filming it, she's doing a pretty damn good job. Like I think we all knew she was going to overestimate the pull and target demographic of Australia's third-ranked TV channel (no, Lindsay, they didn't spend the show's budget getting the director of Black Swan to dress as a wolf), but considering she somehow got an Australian rugby player from the 1990s correct, she's a better fit for the show than the US panel seems to be.

I haven't seen any episodes of the Australian season, but I'm kind of skeptical... I would imagine that she has someone talking in her earpiece about possible names to guess?  Or she gets an advance sheet with some suggestions?  I guess I just don't have a very high opinion of her, she's become something of a laughingstock here in the States so she feels like she can reinvent herself abroad?  She's like a Chrissy Teigen wannabe, desperate for relevance and attention.

That said, I do think she seems like she would be desperate to be on this show, and I would not at all be surprised if she had called the producers after the first season aired and begged to be a contestant.

• Love 2