Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Return of the Masks, Groups A&B

• Start Topic

Johnny Weir has a pretty decent singing voice. I have no idea who the gamer is, but he seemed fun too.

Please take Jenny McCarthy and her anti-vaccine self off. Everything about her is grating. I also think she's had some more work done between seasons.

I don't have a particular favorite yet, but it looks like the two of the weakest singers were kicked off.

I'm curious about the Ladybug and her famous family.

As always, we have to take into account that these contestants are desperate enough for reality TV. I don't think Zooey Deschanel or Cara Delevingne, for example, would do this show.

They did pick a better batch of singers these year. None of them were horrible.

• Love 11

My guess for the Ladybug is Jodie Sweetin. Her real life family is not famous but her TV one is. She has had a lot of problems and grew up in the spotlight.  She has done some reality TV, and she sang on Full House. Her singing on Full House was pretty good, I think.

I knew who the Egg was after he sang the first line of Just Dance. The clues were good, but the choice of music and movements are what gave it away for me. Johnny has a distinctive movement style,  and he didn’t try to hide it in this performance. I wish he had stuck around. He’s not a good singer, but he is an an amazing entertainer.

I keep waiting for Neil Patrick Harris to show up, but none of these contestants seem like him so far. I have not read any spoilers about him being on the show. It is just the perfect show for him to be on because he isn’t primarily known as a singer but he has done a lot of singing.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, mertensia said:

I kept thinking  - I've been watching the Ken Burns country music documentary - that the Lady bug is Rosanne Cash.

I really don't know if it's her or not, but I've really enjoyed watching that documentary as well.  

3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I was very surprised at the choice for Ice Cream, because I'm not familiar with Ninja at all, and was expecting it to be someone really famous such as Weird Al or Vanilla Ice.

Not surprised at Egg though.

I was wanting Thingamajig to be Weird Al, but don't think that's happening. lol  This show needs Weird Al though.

• Love 9

I looked up the players who wore the #4 Jersey for the Orlando Magic.  The only name I recognized was Spud Webb.  Spud is only 5'7 though. 

I wondered if Skeleton was Neil Patrick Harris. I didn't think he sounded like Martin Short at all.

If they have to go to Youtubers to have a show, I don't know how recognizable any of the contestants are going to be for me. 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I wondered if Skeleton was Neil Patrick Harris. I didn't think he sounded like Martin Short at all.

NPH is 6 feet tall.  If Nick is really 6'1", Skeleton can't be NPH.  My money is on Paul Shaffer (band leader from the Letterman show).  

• Love 3

Been distracted with a lot of things so I only watched bits and pieces. I still don’t know who Ninja is, but Weir was pretty evident.

for the skeleton, I got a Dan Akyroyd vibe due to “two wild and crazy guys” and only got stronger with the Otis Redding bit. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

for the skeleton, I got a Dan Akyroyd vibe due to “two wild and crazy guys” and only got stronger with the Otis Redding bit. 

Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin are too tall.

Paul Shaffer (my guess for Skeleton) was at one time a featured member of the Not Ready for Prime Time Players ("wild and crazy guys" connection) and produced an album on which Aretha Franklin sang Otis Redding's "Respect."

Edited by AZChristian
Misspelled "Aykroyd" . . . twice. Understandable.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

Ladybug's costume is awesome.

Johnny Weir's movements are very distinctive. Not a bad voice, though.

I'm so used to hearing pop song vocals autotuned and overproduced to the max that when somebody sings those songs live it always kind of throws me.

Rottweiler and Butterfly did great, although they're probably professional singers/performers and it seems unfair to let them compete against talented amateurs (although they did that in Season 1 with Joey Fatone, Gladys Knight, T-Pain and Donny Osmond). I don't want to see seasoned professionals doing their job beautifully; I want to see non-singer celebrities do some goddamn karaoke. We all know people who have beautiful singing voices but do something else for a living. I'm sure celebrities are no different.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

Tree is Ana Gasteyer. 

Clues: 30 = 30 Rockefeller Center, home of ....

Tv = SNL, where her most famous sketch is shown every year.  The...

Christmas = Schweddy Balls sketch.

Shes a trained singer, but on the show, she only ever sang in a comical way.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Barcelie said:

Tree is Ana Gasteyer. 

You may be on to something. Ana Gasteyer also has a Christmas-themed album and tour coming up; going on the show would be a great way to promote it.

Here's a video from Playbill of Ana Gasteyer singing Defying Gravity for comparison's sake:

I was just thinking that this show seems like an excellent place for SNL alums. A lot of them are talented singers.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Pretty sure Thingamajig is Victor Oladipio - he's 6'4 & can sing.  His Jersey number is 4 (as is his birthday) - was drafted by the Magic & now plays for the Pacers (colors are blue & gold) - hes been rehabbing from a knee injury so it wouldn't be surprising that he did this before the new season starts.

Edited by Princess Consuela
Spelling
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Barcelie said:

Tree is Ana Gasteyer. 

Including, I believe, as Martha Stewart in a Martha Stewart's Topless Christmas sketch on SNL...or did she just shimmy with a black bar across her bosom??  In any case, whoever guessed Martha Stewart may have been close!

• Love 5

Last season, I didn't watch from the start so this is a new experience for me. I thought the show had a solid premiere and the performers seem stronger. They have definitely taken it up a notch with the costumes which are far more elaborate. They must have increased the costume budget a lot.

I practically cheered when Nick Cannon came out with the turban. I hope he is done with them. 

Btw, there is a separate thread for guessing the performer identity.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Great premiere.  I thought the performances were great.  There were some that are obviously better singers than others but overall pretty much everyone could at least sing well, unlike last season when we had people like Tori Spelling and Terry Bradshaw stinking it up.

Butterfly is someone from England who has had a hard time in the past year.  Great voice.  I agree with the suggestion of Mel B.  

Egg was so obviously Johnny Weir as soon as they showed that swan stuffed animal.  

Thingamajig - basketball player who wore #4?

Skeleton sounded a lot like Mike Myers to me.

I really liked the Ladybug, she seems to lack confidence but I thought she was great.  Famous family, she was guessed last year, I think Paris Hilton.

Rottweiler was great and is clearly a professional.  I agree with the panel's general suggestion of boybander.  But no way is that Brian Littrell.  Didn't sound like him at all.  I do think he sounded a bit like JC Chasez.  He had a much better voice than Justin yet Justin went solo and got all the attention.  I do wonder if he's ever been resentful.  He was going to do a halftime show or something and have his breakout moment but got dropped after the Justin/Janet Nipplegate.  He saw Joey Fatone doing this last season and he was probably the first person on the phone to call the producers and try to revive his dead career.

I loved the Tree's performance, have absolutely no clue about who she could be.  I don't think Ana Gasteyer would be a particularly good catch for the show... I mean she's talented but she's so yesterday's news.  Saturday Night Live must have been about 20 years ago for her?  I would think the show could attract more relevant personalities?

Ice Cream - my son plays Fortnite so I have heard of Ninja but apart from that I would have had no clue who he is.

As to the panellists... nothing has changed from last year.  Robin Thicke to me is far and away the best judge.  Nicole is second best and was looking especially fantastic in that slinky white dress.  Jenny is still useless.  Ken by far is the most irritating.  I tolerated him last season but this season he has already shown himself to be even more annoying than ever.  He's not funny at all, he dances stupidly, and he just seems ever so pleased with himself.

• Love 6

I just love this show. It's just fun. I chose it over the Survivor premiere last night. They have stepped up the production and the costumes, and I like the Smackdown. Wish they would lose Jenny, but I love Ken (though I completely understand why many don't.) I've always liked Nick Cannon - he was the guest on the Daily Show last night, and is apparently going back to school, partly to set an example for his kids about the value of education. 

Don't really have guesses, I just hope there are more seasons to come!

• Love 8

Just watching now, and want to get my thoughts in before I see any results, so here goes...

Group A:

Butterfly-Nice way to open the show. I'm thinking she's an older soul singer, but no idea who.

Egg-Shaun White immediately came to mind when I saw his size and the skateboard, but I don't think he's that flamboyant.  Johnny and Adam are good guesses.

Thingamajig-I'm thinking he's an Orlando Magic Basketball player who has four titles(or rings), but I'm too lazy to do the research on that right now. Whoever he is, I'm impressed.

Skeleton-Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, and Martin Short all immediately came to mind during the package.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have nothing against Youtube stars, DJs, and gamers, but there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that I am ever going to know who any of them are.  Not one.

Agreed, I have never heard of Pepe Le Pew (or whatever Ken actually said, all I heard was a reference to the cartoon skunk).  Even some of the other names that they were guessing last night I have no idea.  Rob Dierdik?  Never ever heard of him.  This is only Season 2, surely they could attract some real A-list talent?  I want to see some genuine movie stars.  Michelle Pfeiffer would kill it on this show.  Surely they don't yet need to troll for C and D-list "stars" like Dancing With the Stars does.  

• Love 5

Group B:

Ladybug-Vanna White was the name that popped in my head because of the spin wheel, but I don't think it's actually her. 

Rottweiler-Well, that was a surprise! Dang, he was really good! After the original clues I thought it might be Snoop Dogg, but now I don't think it is. I'll agree with the judges that it's probably a boybander.

I have no ideas about either Tree or Ice Cream <shrug>

What do they do if there's a tie in the smackdown?

• Love 4

in general, i am on the same page as many of you with my guesses. 

i still think the thing is dennis rodman, although wayne brady has come up in conversation.

skeleton: maybe alphonso ribiero?

lady bug: my husband is convinced it is ashley judd

tree: carla hall all the way!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have nothing against Youtube stars, DJs, and gamers, but there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that I am ever going to know who any of them are.  Not one.

I hear you. The biggest names I follow are probably Lindsay Ellis, H. Bomberman, and Stuart Ashens. Maybe Contrapoints, though I don't watch all of her videos. Anyone else I subscribe to averages maybe 10,000 followers. A couple barely have a thousand.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, mertensia said:

I kept thinking  - I've been watching the Ken Burns country music documentary - that the Lady bug is Rosanne Cash.

As a huge Rosanne fan, I don't hear her in the ladybug. Maybe one of the other sisters, like Cathy, but not Rosanne. She has a very distinctive voice and it's a much lower register. 

My guess for Skeleton Is Dana Carvey. He talked about being second fiddle and said Party on Dudes which is something Garth from Wayne's world says. My guess for Rottweiler is Singer Chris Daughtry. He was on American idol, same season as Kellie Pickler and Katherine McPhee and all 3 lost to the inferior Taylor Hicks. Daughtry had big hits like "Its not over", "Home" to name a couple 

I don't think the Skeleton is Martin Short because he's done Broadway musicals and I felt like the Skeleton didn't perform the words....I donno...precisely enough? Intentionally enough? In a way I'd expect Short to.

That said, Weir was obvious as soon as he moved in that outfit. Didn't need the clue package. Didn't need to hear him sing. He took two steps and I knew it was him. 

I have a feeling a lot more contestants this year are going to turn out to be people I have no idea who they are...or do but don't know enough about to ever guess in a million years.

• Love 3

I guessed both before the reveal, but only because Ninja is the only eSports personality I know offhand. Any 'influencers' I won't get. I think Skeleton is Dana Carvey too, and from the clues Tree is somebody from SNL. But I haven't watched that in like 20 years so I'm not familiar with most of the cast in that time.

Now that everyone is fed up with Jenny's stupidity, this season is already in the can but maybe they'll get rid of her for season 3.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

I would love it if one of the judges would say, "Who the hell is THAT?" when revealed.  (Re: my reaction to Ninja).  They all can't possibly know everybody!

The way we play at home is that if we don't know who the "celeb" is then they don't count. The only reason I know of Ninja is because he was just on Family Feud. I still don't count him. It would be like if the Johnson family from across town was on.

I do laugh at all of the A list guesses from the judges and in this thread. Speaking of not knowing people, they guessed Lindsay Lohan while she is currently a judge on Masked Singer Australia. She also apparently doesn't know many of their local celebs and has produced a number of gaffs. 

I see that Nick Canon still hasn't been coached on how to pronounce "singer".

Some of the costumes this year are quite beautiful and elaborate. Best part of the show for sure. Glad they made a true bracket that you can follow.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2019 at 2:00 PM, roughing it said:

Can we please keep the guesses for contestants remaining to the Clues thread?

I would love it if one of the judges would say, "Who the hell is THAT?" when revealed.  (Re: my reaction to Ninja).  They all can't possibly know everybody!

I see you point on clues for contestants who weren't on the episode being discussed in the Clues thread, but I don't see why we can't discuss the Clues that were aired on the episode in the episode thread?  It makes sense to me.  Otherwise, what is left to discuss in the episode thread?  Just the performances themselves?  And the (mostly extraneous) panellists?

I agree re the panellist recognition.  Nick Cannon claims he doesn't know who the person in the mask is... but there's no way he knows everyone.  I have no doubt that Nick and the panelists all have someone in their earpieces saying "it's Ninja" when the mask comes off.  There's absolutely no way all of them recognised him.

Rewatched the episode with my 10 year old daughter, and when Ken made his suggestion of Pepe Le Pew, I said "I've never heard of Pepe Le Pew", she immediately said "he didn't say Pepe Le Pew he said [whatever the actual name is]" and said that he's a famous You Tuber?  Huh.  I guess the show needs to attract a wide demographic... so for every young kid who said last year "who is Gladys Knight" there's a middle aged person saying "I've never heard of Pepe Le Pew".

• Love 4