Type keyword(s) to search

The Flay List - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't usually watch anything but the competitions but I like Bobby, watched the first couple episodes of this show and really enjoyed it.  Sophie is bright and articulate and low key.  I like the dynamic between her and her father and the shared sense of humor.  I'm not sure how old she is and I wonder what else she does.  Is she in college perhaps?  I can see why Bobby is so proud of her.  

• Love 2
On 9/11/2019 at 4:03 PM, biakbiak said:

She’s 23 and graduated from USC and currently is a reporter for an ABC affiliate in LA.

Holy child-of-celebrity privilege, Batman - looking her up, Sophie indeed worked in NY and then L.A. upon graduation.  That's not at all how one's career trajectory (moving up through the rankings of news/media markets) typically works, even with a journalism degree from a school like USC.  Hopefully she appreciates the leg up.

She uses "like" more than any trained broadcaster should, but fewer than many youngsters, and comes across pretty well. 

I’ve only seen the first – tacos – and this – steak – episode, but I enjoy it.  It’s funny how very generational the differences in their choices are, and sweet how he’s happy to spend time with her in general, and especially sharing food.

Tonight, “An affordable steak house – but I still need you to pick up the check” amused me.

• Love 1

I really like Sophie.  She's very natural and unaffected and she doesn't play to the camera at all.  Katie Lee should take a few lessons from her.  I also like the easy camaraderie between her and Bobby.  I'm sure there are things they plan to talk about and get across to viewers but they don't come across as scripted.  I seldom watch the travel around food shows but I'm enjoying this one.

I wanted to eat everything in both steak houses.  I'd love to know how much a porterhouse steak dinner costs in NYC.  I was going to Google the restaurant but I forgot its name.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

a few years ago it was around $100 for the porterhouse for 2.

The menu made me hungry all over again.  The price is a lot more than any dinner would be around here but not as bad as I expected considering it's a fancy restaurant in New York City.  

• Love 1

In addition to Sophie getting a leg up from Bobby, she probably got one from her mom Kate Connelly, who has a degree in Journalism. Kate's father worked as a journalist, so it seems to have a family tradition.

It's sad that when you Google Kate Connelly, her fame is mostly tied to being married to Bobby Flay.

• Love 1
On 9/13/2019 at 6:02 PM, mlp said:

The menu made me hungry all over again.  The price is a lot more than any dinner would be around here but not as bad as I expected considering it's a fancy restaurant in New York City.  

The two of them need to stop saying totally, I’m thinking of making it a drinking game. 🍺🍷🍺

Their show on lobster made me hungry for lobster rolls. We have a good place in Annapolis. We were supposed to be in Brooklyn on Saturday near Red Hook, with a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 on Sunday, but had to cancel the trip because of health issues. Maybe next year.

• Love 1

I watched the steak house episode because I couldn't find the remote.  I was annoyed with 1) the douche who wouldn't eat at a traditional steak house because he doesn't do traditional things and 2) that Don Ameche's claim to fame was apparently being an obscure character actor from the 1980s. 

I only saw bits and pieces of the lobster episode, but any sighting of a good lobster roll always makes me hungry; I'm not a big sandwich fan, but that's one where if you put the ingredients together just right I am all over it.  I also love lobster ravioli - and like that it was Sophie's childhood favorite - but that dish I caught just a glimpse of looked like a lot of sauce and too little ravioli.  I'm vexed by the average American restaurant's portion size being too large, so I'd need to look again, because if it was a reasonable portion I not only withdraw my complaint but applaud the establishment.

• Love 1

The lobster ravioli looked like a modest portion. I'm going to be in downtown Annapolis next Friday afternoon. I may stop by Mason's for a lobster roll. I've been there before and it was good. They told me they have their lobster flown in from Maine every day.

It looked to me like it was 4 large ravioli in the sauce. Definitely a modest portion (and $36!). I don't eat seafood so this wasn't the best episode to me.

I'm always interested in the ice cream/dessert places they go - NYC has so many good choices! Added a few to my list for next time I visit.

I think it would have been neat if, since Sophie lives in LA now, they did this premise but with Bobby's pick in NYC and hers in LA.

• Love 1

I've seen half of these now. Burgers, Tacos, and Fried Chicken.  I think I'd like to try both burger places, Bobby's Taco place was a clear winner (not that I wouldn't enjoy Sophie's), and Sophie's Fried Chicken place. 

What was fun about the Fried Chicken episode was the fact that, like Bobby's burger choice, he had a lot of memories that went back to when he was a young man before he ever got near a TV screen. Even though they just touch on the old stories, I get a good sense of how the fried chicken means a lot more to him than just crispy fried chicken.

I really enjoy this show.  I love the comfortable way Bobby and Sophie interact as if they're not even on camera.  They both seem to be enjoying themselves.  I'll probably never get to any of the places in New York that they showcase but I wish I could try every one of them.  I'm enjoying the street scenes too.

• Love 3
(edited)

Just watched all 6 of these. What a great showcase for NYC. Old meets new and Sophie is great at getting some charm out of her dad. Food looks amazing too. So funny how they get gelato or ice cream every episode. Bobby is addicted. 

Like to see more of this. 

Edited by Mmazeo
  • Love 2

While it doesn't seem there will ever be more episodes of this show, part of the three-year contract extension he and FN recently agreed to includes development of a new travelogue series (to debut next year) for the father-daughter duo; the working title is Bobby and Sophie on the [West] Coast.  It's unclear whether it will air on Food Network or the Discovery+ streaming service.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

While it doesn't seem there will ever be more episodes of this show, part of the three-year contract extension he and FN recently agreed to includes development of a new travelogue series (to debut next year) for the father-daughter duo; the working title is Bobby and Sophie on the [West] Coast.  It's unclear whether it will air on Food Network or the Discovery+ streaming service.

While I did enjoy The Flay List, if this new show is on Discovery+ I won't be watching.

54 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

While I did enjoy The Flay List, if this new show is on Discovery+ I won't be watching.

Nothing has been said definitively, but I get the sense from the little that has been said it may be a Discovery+ thing. 

If it is, I'll be able to watch, because I have access to Discovery+ through my parents' account; my mom wanted it (I have no idea why), and once you have an account you can stream on numerous devices, so they gave me their account info to log into with my Fire stick.  (All my access to paid streaming services comes via family and friends giving me their account info [since they're already paying for it and these services foolishly allow so many devices per account, so why not?], and I appreciate the sharing, but none of it is valuable enough that I'd pay for it.)

At any rate, Bobby and Sophie were fun to watch together on this show - they clearly enjoy spending time together and teasing each other - and featured some yummy places, so while it was a one-season deal, I'm glad we'll see them doing at least the same general thing again (it must be different enough it's not simply season two of The Flay List this time set in L.A. [where she is based] instead of NYC).

On 12/6/2021 at 8:35 PM, Bastet said:

At any rate, Bobby and Sophie were fun to watch together on this show - they clearly enjoy spending time together and teasing each other - and featured some yummy places, so while it was a one-season deal, I'm glad we'll see them doing at least the same general thing again (it must be different enough it's not simply season two of The Flay List this time set in L.A. [where she is based] instead of NYC).

I'll create a thread for it, but since it's the successor to this show, I'm also posting here; Bobby and Sophie's new show is called Bobby and Sophie on the Coast and will premiere next month -- and on FN, no Discovery+ required:

He’s a born-and-raised New Yorker, while she’s a Los Angeles transplant, and both of them have a passion for food. A few years ago Bobby and Sophie set off on The Flay List, in which they shared their favorite hot spots around the Big Apple. But now that Sophie is settled in L.A., they’re taking their food-crawl adventures to Cali on their all-new series, Bobby and Sophie on the Coast, premiering Monday, Aug. 22 at 9|8c.

The Los Angeles food scene is unlike any other, given the abundance of fresh produce grown nearby and the mix of cuisines available, and in each episode, they’ll check out some of the most-creative, most-mouthwatering dishes around. From juicy smash burgers to hand-shucked oysters, farm-fresh French toast and creamy Thai curry, Bobby and Sophie are ready to eat it all and showcase some little-known spots in Malibu, Hollywood, Playa del Rey and more neighborhoods across L.A.

So much of L.A. eating focuses on locally sourced ingredients, so as Bobby and Sophie criss-cross the area, they’ll pick up tons of specialty veggies, citrus, hot sauce and more, all to cook up a feast when they get home. Plus, they’ll meet the tastemakers whose businesses are a must-visit when in town, including Brooke Williamson and Stephanie Izard, and of course have some fun between meals. Wait until you see what happens when Bobby zips up his wetsuit and hopes to catch some waves as a newbie surfer!

• Like 1