Whimsy
  • Start Topic

image.png.6fc41ae486ee1e53a9017548ce0a4a2b.png

From CBS.com

Tom Laidlaw

Biography

Hometown: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Current residence: Greenwich, Connecticut

Hobbies: Watching Survivor, anything fitness, and hanging with the people I love.

Pet peeves: People driving slow in the fast lane.

Three words to describe you: Disciplined, dedicated, and stubborn.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Raising my two sons to be strong, independent men.

Who or what is your inspiration in life?
My grandfather. My grandmother was in a wheelchair most of her life. He took care of her until she died, and he died shortly after.

What's one thing we wouldn't know from seeing a photo of you?
I don't like heights.

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
Ben the Marine, he did whatever he had to.

What's your primary motivation for being on Survivor?
The challenge and desire to win.

Tom's not letting me down, now he's mortified because a girl made fire before he did.  The shame!  I had to check his age because he reminds me of my father but my father was born in 1915.  I can't wait for family visits to see Tom's wife.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Tom's not letting me down, now he's mortified because a girl made fire before he did.  The shame!  I had to check his age because he reminds me of my father but my father was born in 1915.  I can't wait for family visits to see Tom's wife.

I thought he was mostly joking.  He might have some feeling that he should be able to beat a woman in physical or outdoorsy task.  But, he is 61 and he played a macho sport where men get their teeth knocked out, and keep playing.  So, I won't hold it against him.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I don’t mind him.  I’m not rooting hard core for him or care for him that much, but I like how he stood up for Elaine and tried to get the vote to turn to Ronnie.

Also his tribe is my least favorite of the two, so there's that.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Personally I’m pretty certain Tom was 100% joking, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess any humor inherent or intended in his comment was not likely to be either acknowledged or appreciated.  C’est la vie.  🙂

• Love 3

I hardly think Tom was being serious. It’s like when guys say, “I could lose my man card if I see this chick movies”. LOL!!! I think we can relax about Tom. In fact, there really isn’t anyone this season (currently) who I hate. It’s such a nice break after watching Big Brother all season. Of course, it’s only been two episodes but usually Survivor sets up the villain and/or jackass in episode one. 

• Love 1

Oh I know Tom was kidding (and I was just kidding about hating him) I just think those are very old, outdated jokes.  The chick-flick thing is funny because there still are movies geared toward women, but the idea that men should be able to make fire faster than women or that most women wear dresses all the time is about fifty years past.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Oh I know Tom was kidding (and I was just kidding about hating him) I just think those are very old, outdated jokes.  The chick-flick thing is funny because there still are movies geared toward women, but the idea that men should be able to make fire faster than women or that most women wear dresses all the time is about fifty years past.

Well... old farts DO tend to tell old jokes....  😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Mike Bloom exit interview.

https://parade.com/941571/mikebloom/survivor-tom-laidlaw-eliminated/

" But it was important to me that it was part of my game. I wanted a strong game and to participate in blindsides, but I wanted to form that unbreakable alliance. Janet was right in what she said; there’s no question. In fact, I was even asked if I had an alliance with the other four Lairos, and I said, “Yeah.”

lol. Oh Tom

"The exact opposite happened. In that situation in my world, you ask, “Okay, why is this team not winning? What’s the problem?” It’s unfair to her because it wasn’t always this way. But she seemed to be the problem. She told us all at the start that she was excellent at puzzles. She was not. That’s fine; I’m not excellent at puzzles either, but I wasn’t putting myself in that position. Even in the last challenge where Dean was shooting the baskets, I could have shot as well. But if I’m playing with Wayne Gretzky and there’s a penalty shot to be taken, I’m not taking that shot; Gretzky is. Dean was a college basketball player, so I figured he would shoot them."

He does make a good point

• Love 2

The other castaways likely know the merge is happening soon.  For the old Vokai that make up NuLairo, what difference does it make if they keep Karishma and keep losing?  They can stick together, pick off her and/or Dean before the merge, and go in with their numbers intact.  They would just need the other Vokai, or at least some of them, to be with them.  I think Karishma will flip to whoever is going to keep her in the game, so she's a wildcard in that sense, but it might not matter once the merge happens anyway.

• Love 1