Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Whatcha Hough To?

• Start Topic

In theory I like the game "Show me the Music" where the celebs have to act out the songs for the team captain. But some of those covers were so awful even I didn't recognize the songs, and I could hear them.

The winner picked the worst possible 2 players to go to the Bonus Round with. Good grief. Sherri and Kal didn't seem to know anything the actors had been in. You can't even think of "Hunger Games" for Jennifer Lawrence? You can't think of one thing Jason Bateman has been in? I think this was the lowest score I'd ever seen in the Bonus Round.

I would have chosen Joel McHale, he used to host Talk Soup so you gotta figure he's up on his celebs. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Sherri and Kal didn't seem to know anything the actors had been in. You can't even think of "Hunger Games" for Jennifer Lawrence? You can't think of one thing Jason Bateman has been in? I think this was the lowest score I'd ever seen in the Bonus Round.

I was surprised at how poorly they did in the bonus round.  egads!

• Love 3

The final bonus round was indeed painful to watch. Ugh. 

I would have preferred they cut the stupid singing when coming back from commercials in favor of telling us which answers were left out of the cup pong game. (I suspected Ellen Degeneres would be in top 20 for twitter followers and was shouting Facebook, YouTube, Twitter for top 20 websites. I realize I could look them up but still)

At least we avoided Jane singing which is my absolute least favorite part of these shows. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The winner picked the worst possible 2 players to go to the Bonus Round with. Good grief.

21 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I was surprised at how poorly they did in the bonus round.  egads!

I agree that they were the worst. But while I might have expected Kal Penn to be a tad more knowledgeable, I wasn't at all surprised by Sherri Shepherd. She's the pits, on whatever game show she's on. (She appeared often on Craig Ferguson's Celebrity Name Game.) She knows nothing, and I knew the round was doomed as soon as she was chosen, but I didn't expect it to go quite as miserably as it did.

I agree that Joel McHale would have been a good choice. Part of what makes a good participant in that round is the ability to get words out of your mouth quickly, without preparatory harrumphing, and he seems good at that.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1

Given how long ago they film these, I was surprised most popular websites didn’t include CompuServe and Prodigy, and they didn’t ask most popular Friendster accounts...

That final round was painful.  This is when I really miss the podcast, as Tara and Joe would have had no lack of material to mock in that one.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I've been catching up on my recordings, so first I watched this show and then I watched $100,000 Pyramid, and there was Joel McHale again! I agree he should have been chosen for the final round. The songwriter, Ester Dean, seemed pretty good, too. 

I was surprised at all the misses in the Get In My Pants game. Seems like when they played it before, it looked so easy.

Boy, I'm so out of it re music. Although I'd heard most of the songs in Show Me the Music, I didn't know the titles for several of them.

I was wondering why Jane gave Oliver Hudson a hug. Maybe it wasn't anything special.

Again, too much filler.

Yeah, Joel would have been a better choice. He was always quick and motivated in all the games.  And I couldn’t believe she picked Sherri “Flat Earth” Shepard over Oliver Hudson, who played pretty good throughout and she said she was a fan of his from Dawson’s Creek.  Both of them definitely know a movie Jennifer Lawrence was in, which is a pretty low bar to clear...

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1

I think we now have a perfect dictionary definition for #epicfail. How in the fuck do you get Jennifer Lawrence as a clue and not say Hunger Games? X-Men blue chick? Butthole pics hacked? Bff of Amy Schumer? I'm blown away that the regular person didn't pick Oliver and Joel. Oliver was surprisingly cute and effective as a sea captain. 

Did the songwriter woman get Lollapalooza as a clue and say something like "a festival where you laugh a lot!" As in LOL-palooza? Holy crap. This show is circling the drain. But as someone else noted, at least Jane didn't sing.

9 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Did the songwriter woman get Lollapalooza as a clue and say something like "a festival where you laugh a lot!" As in LOL-palooza?

I meant to ask about it because I wasn't sure I heard her right. What the---?

On 9/11/2019 at 12:09 AM, Dewey Decimate said:

Did the songwriter woman get Lollapalooza as a clue and say something like "a festival where you laugh a lot!" As in LOL-palooza? Holy crap.

That was so whack since Lollapalooza is a huge MUSIC festival and Ester's profession is music. Good thing that segment ended quickly before all the players went WTH.

I love Joel McHale on everything. He'd always be my first choice if I were picking teams.

• Love 1

I forgot how much I liked this show. Some of the games could be better but it brings out something in the celebrities. It's not as dignified as Hollywood Squares or any of those older-style shows. And yet it doesn't feel as fake as the stuff Fallon does. I feel like people get genuinely competitive and I'm into that. 

I know Derek Hough and Joel McHale have always been pretty fit but it looks like they've bulked up. I don't live in LA so it was a little weird watching two guys who basically could have been in a superhero movie run around like normal actors. Add in Oliver Hudson and facially 3/4 guys looked very fierce and intense. Maybe he's a nice guy, but after Nashville and Scream Queens, I can't see Oliver Hudson and not think villain. 

Small touch but I like how they don't put the clues on screen until the contestants guess correctly.

Bonus round: I would have picked Derek and Joel. Based on this episode and what I know about them, I think they have the most pop culture knowledge. I can understand picking a former co-host of The View and the relatively young Kal but as we saw... yeah, it was a mess.