Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: The Lost Apostle

• Start Topic

From the AVClub review:

Again: it’s watchable. It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever seen. But I can’t shake the constant nagging feeling that this could have been good. Instead, it’s just something you need to turn off your brain to enjoy, and while there are certainly worse things to be, it’s never going to stop bumming me out.

I'm starting to feel that way . . . that I'm just looking forward to seeing the ending, as well as whatever WTF moments pop up. This week: a dingo dines on Herr Starr's nuts, because he lied to God about Humperdoo. At least it feels like something from the original source material . . . Starr continuing to be a bastard even when the universe bends him over.

No, I don't know how frisky the dingo was.

Nice cold open. I'm thinking either God has VHS copies of movies based off the Bible, or folks had thick Brooklyn accents back then. You know that one Weekend Update character? The wife of the boxer? She would've fit in there.

Also fun: Cassidy & Tulip faking being hard-boiled American federal agents, complete with Cassidy using his take on what Americans sound like. And Jesse tries to get the drop on SoK. "Tries" being the operative word. Getting the guns was a sweet move, but of course he wouldn't have them loaded. Maybe SoK uses his own anger as ammo?

Also: do Aussies and Kiwis not get along in real life?

• Love 2

"Beloved Deputy Prime Minister"? That's possibly the most unrealistic thing in the show so far.

Apparently the big plan is to kick the apocalypse off by having Australia and New Zealand fight a nuclear war with each other. I wonder if maybe someone at Grail headquarters should have done some research, because neither country has any nuclear weapons. Incidentally, the Grail's bomb was cute; a miniature version of Fat Man.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

No, I don't know how frisky the dingo was.

I doubt that it cured global warming either.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Nice cold open. I'm thinking either God has VHS copies of movies based off the Bible, or folks had thick Brooklyn accents back then.

IIRC, back in season one, when God first disappeared, he was auditioning for the role of God in some low budget film or other.  I'm guessing this must have been a scene from it.  That or God keeps some of his favorite memories on VHS, but that seems unlikely here, although the Brooklyn accent made me laugh.

I've developed the habit of watching TV with the captions on, helps when it comes to not missing lines.  Anyway, I thought it was interesting that they capitalized the H in "Him" when SOK was talking about God.  Interesting because it's unusual to see a sign of respect in such a routinely blasphemous TV show - although I guess you could argue it's all in fun. 

Nice to see that Cassidy has still not gotten over trying to understand why people like The Big Lebowski!

Well we got Cass/Jessie/Tulip together for about five seconds at least, before Jessie fell out of a freaking plane. Damn it, if this show isn't going to make sense or be about anything anymore, can we at least get our three leads together having adventures??   

Cassidy and Tulip playing at being agents was fun, as was the cold open, in a Preacher kind of way, but its the way a lot of this season has been. A bunch of cool but random scenes that lead to nothing. Which I guess is better than pointlessly disturbing or boring at least.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

"Beloved Deputy Prime Minister"? That's possibly the most unrealistic thing in the show so far.

Apparently the big plan is to kick the apocalypse off by having Australia and New Zealand fight a nuclear war with each other. I wonder if maybe someone at Grail headquarters should have done some research, because neither country has any nuclear weapons. Incidentally, the Grail's bomb was cute; a miniature version of Fat Man.

I doubt that it cured global warming either.

I thought the Grail acquired the nuclear weapon to goad them into war. 

I enjoyed this one a lot. 

I really liked the scenes with Jessie and SoK. I thought they could have done more there. 

I'm actually hoping Starr and Jessie et al. band together against God. 

I love the whole banal Grail machinery - the car wash is open. And Featherstone is hiding out working at the coffee shop! 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I thought the Grail acquired the nuclear weapon to goad them into war. 

They did, but it's not going to be much of an apocalypse if it's not a nuclear war. In that case it might end up like this:

New Zealander: "You bastards! Take this!" (hurls a koala)

Australian: "Aaah! Biological warfare!* Fire the platypult!" (duck-billed platypi start raining from the sky)

Not a pretty picture.

* Koalas are known to carry chlamydia.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

* Koalas are known to carry chlamydia.

Not as many as there used to be, thanks to John Oliver.

In hindsight, it actually looked like god set off the nuke as part of the trap for Jessie. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

New Zealander: "You bastards! Take this!" (hurls a koala)

18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Not as many as there used to be, thanks to John Oliver.

Lol, where would the New Zealanders be getting their Koalas from?

Screen-Shot-2018-05-08-at-13.48.11.jpg