Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E12: Put Your Ink Where Your Mouth Is.

• Start Topic

SO I was excited to not have coaches or the skull pick! And hoped that would follow through to a solid judging and cut. And I thought it would as they critiqued the tattoos until everyone was not safe but Creepy Jason. Then, yet again, the judges decide that not meeting the challenge is not important and keep Cam. That was ridiculous - he should have gone home - those were not two different styles which was a specific criteria of the challenge. This season is getting worse on producer/judge controlling who stays in the competition. 

• Love 9

Loved the episode because it was heavy on actual tattooing. 23 tattoos in an episode must be pretty close to the record for a single episode outside of some of the first episode of the season challenges they've done. 

Also thought that the quality of the tattoos was very high. Jason, Laura, and Dani especially rocked it. Jake's two cat tattoos were very nice and I actually liked his skull/ship crossover a lot more than the judges seemed to. 

Cam didn't seem to meet the challenge. However, the "rules" of that final challenge were not communicated clearly. Maybe it was the edit and maybe not. But Dave said something along the lines of "This is your chance to show us versatility/something you haven't done before: one color and one black and grey, do two different styles, etc". To me, it didn't seem like he was listing hardcore rules as much as he was giving examples of what to do to show your versatility. He definitely didn't say "you have to do two tattoos in two completely different styles--period". 

At the end of the day, they felt Cam's tattoos were done well enough to overcome the fact that he showed the least versatility. I'm not sure I agree, but I do think it was close.

I still believe Dani and Laura will make the finale. Creepy Jason has really impressed me recently after a meh start to the season. 

• Love 7

Yes, Chris mentioned the two tattoos had to be different in some way such as color and black and white or two different styles. Therefore Cam did fit the challenge. I actually thought they should have kept everyone since all the tattoos were pretty good.

• Love 3

The judging is always going to be suspect, but overall I tdo hink it was Holly's (?)  time to go.

I'm just glad we got a ton of good tattoos, some contestant/canvass interaction, and Dave rocking that absurd goth granny shawl ..with fringe. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

However, the "rules" of that final challenge were not communicated clearly. Maybe it was the edit and maybe not. But Dave said something along the lines of "This is your chance to show us versatility/something you haven't done before: one color and one black and grey, do two different styles, etc". To me, it didn't seem like he was listing hardcore rules as much as he was giving examples of what to do to show your versatility. He definitely didn't say "you have to do two tattoos in two completely different styles--period". 

But how did the five other people tattooing get the memo and Cam mysteriously didn’t? 

So in previous weeks, Jason and Cam were both saved despite anatomically tragic tattoos, because the teams needed to be evened up. This week, there seemed to be no such need to do that. 🤔 

As my sister, who has multiple tattoos and is pretty familiar with the industry in general put it - further proof that women in their industry have to work harder than men. 

Edited by RoadFullOfPromise
Punctuation is a thing
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Inkmaster0345 said:

Also thought that the quality of the tattoos was very high. Jason, Laura, and Dani especially rocked it. Jake's two cat tattoos were very nice and I actually liked his skull/ship crossover a lot more than the judges seemed to.

I thought Jake should have been safe.  I thought the koala was ok but I thought the ship was one of the best tattoos of the day.

11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The judging is always going to be suspect, but overall I tdo hink it was Holly's (?)  time to go.

Holly has been middle of the road the whole competition, no great loss that she left as she wouldn't have made the final.  But I too am a little annoyed that they outline a challenge and then decide it on technical application.

6 hours ago, RoadFullOfPromise said:

So in previous weeks, Jason and Cam were both saved despite anatomically tragic tattoos, because the teams needed to be evened up. This week, there seemed to be no such need to do that. 🤔

IMO the 2 women left are the 2 strongest tattooers there so it wouldn't surprise me if the next 3 to go are men.

• Love 5

I'm so sick of the guys getting a pass because the judges change the challenge rules to suit saving an artist. Yes, I'm looking at you Cam.

Either make the competition a blind judging of all work next season or get a reputable female tattoo artist in as a judge so we can get some fucking fairness in this show.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, RoadFullOfPromise said:

So in previous weeks, Jason and Cam were both saved despite anatomically tragic tattoos, because the teams needed to be evened up.

This is what bothered me about this whole season. Since Day 1, when we found out the teams were gonna be men against women, it was blatantly obvious that the judging was going to be based mainly (if not exclusively) on trying to balance the wins and losses of every team in order to get to the end with a pretty even number of people on each team, instead of judging the actual tattoos.

That, paired with the fact that the rules for judging on this show are not exactly set in stone and judges can apparently bend them to their liking whichever way they want so that they can keep their favorites means that more than once on the season the wrong people were eliminated (like in this episode, where I would've happily sent home either Cam or Pon, because his sacred heart tattoo was really bad and misshapen).

I totally agree with aussieinsydney, blind judging would for sure be more fair to the participants. Actually it would also be interesting to have an episode where the participants blind judge each other's tattoos. Maybe they'll do it someday, it would be quite refreshing.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, aussieinsydney said:

I'm so sick of the guys getting a pass because the judges change the challenge rules to suit saving an artist. Yes, I'm looking at you Cam.

To be fair a few guys, and girls went home when it should have been Ash.

• Love 8

On 8/28/2019 at 2:17 PM, Inkmaster0345 said:

I still believe Dani and Laura will make the finale. Creepy Jason has really impressed me recently after a meh start to the season. 

Laura should absolutely win. 

• Love 4

If there was a single straight line in Holly's house with the wavy funhouse windows and doors I might have seen her sticking around but that thing looked terrible. How she got someone to pick her based on that tat is a mystery. Looking at the other work created that day it quickly became obvious that Holly was the one most out of her league.

However, Cam should have garnered more negativity for no following the rules everyone else but him seemed to hear. They are desperate to get Cam to the final. 

Also Pon should have been dinged for doing basically the same damn tattoo twice.

I did however love that we got an episode mainly based upon actual tattooing which was refreshing.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Cam did follow the rules. Chris said either do two different styles or one black and gray and one color. They did bring up that others did different styles but it was not part of the original stated criteria.

I don't know - his two tattoos were mostly black, gray, and red with the torch having some yellow/orange. So similar in color tones and styles. 

• Love 4

Why do they even bother having women compete?   It's pretty clear that men are going to win.  Last week Janelle was robbed and this week Holli was.  Cam should have gone home several times, including this week.  His first tattoo was terrible and then the second one didn't meet the challenge.  I read the comments where people disagree about that part. so let's call it a wash.  Then we're back to his first tattoo - bad, bad, bad.  We can guess which gender will go home because they want to keep the teams even until the end - then it will be just the men.  Blind judging is the only fair way to do this.  And, someone mentioned getting a female judge on there - I absolutely agree they need one.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Prettypaws said:

His first tattoo was terrible and then the second one didn't meet the challenge.  I read the comments where people disagree about that part. so let's call it a wash.  Then we're back to his first tattoo - bad, bad, bad. 

I think that Cam should have gone home because he didn't meet the challenge with his second 2 tattoos. But if you are going to say Cam should go home because of how bad his first tattoo, you have to remember Holli's first tattoo was that house with a the crooked lines.  If you are comparing first tattoos then Holli is a clear worst tattoo worthy of going home.